WoW NDA lifted: ask away

Kintoun

Gawd
FINALLY the NDA is lifted. Some of us were alpha testers and some work for Bliz or have friends that do. So now that the NDA has been lifted ASK AWAY! Anything is game!

The only thing most of us cannot comment on are Druids and Hunters as they are still being implemented and tested internally. Alpha testers never got to touch em.

We'll prove to you that WoW is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

can i run a pirate server if i would like to make my own "world"? ;)

Originally posted by FLECOM
can i run a pirate server if i would like to make my own "world"? ;)
haha ya right. Trust me, there will be no hacked servers like in EQ, UO, Ragnarok, etc. And there is no offline mode.

What's the most useful soloing class? How long would it take to get to the level 40?

And, is it fun?

Originally posted by GriffiN
What's the most useful soloing class? How long would it take to get to the level 40?

And, is it fun?
Pally and war are most solo friendly. But ALL classes can solo easily. I got to 30 in a week. 40 would take another 1. If I was redoing 40 and knew where to quest, I could hit 40 in 2-4days. Note I am a severe powergamer. The casual gamer would take somewhere like 4-5x as long.
Originally posted by Seros
is the game fun?
how finished is it?
A) stupid question
B) Nearing completion.
Originally posted by CaNaDian PyRo
How does it run on your computer?
Great. Low Poly but awesome textures makes the game look awesome but run great.
Originally posted by HRslammR
how far away is it from release? :)
Got a ways to go. They could EASILY release it now and it'll be the BEST MMORPG release ever, with the most content and everything. However thats not what they're going for. Bliz wants it to be perfect. And oh it will be!

Originally posted by Big Worm
Screens man, screens...
Get me a host, me n my roomies got great shots. But the files r huge. I'M NOT GONNA DOWNSAMPLE THEM!
4-7MB per ss.

Originally posted by Kintoun

Got a ways to go. They could EASILY release it now and it'll be the BEST MMORPG release ever, with the most content and everything. However thats not what they're going for. Bliz wants it to be perfect. And oh it will be!

this makes me giddy.

are there going to be any kind of throwbacks to diablo 2 at all? i know it takes place in the warcraft universe but i so want to see a grandfather being tossed around a bit.

Get me a host, me n my roomies got great shots. But the files r huge. I'M NOT GONNA DOWNSAMPLE THEM!
4-7MB per ss.

ouch if they were jpegs then I could but 4-7megs a peice is alot:eek:

If you want, you can hook me up with them and I'll host them off my server at school. I can only have maybe 40 megs in total though. However, I'll get in trouble if I'm passing gigs of bandwidth, so I'd need help with hosting.

And it's a gigabit backbone, so yeah...

BTW, game sounds killer.

haha ya right. Trust me, there will be no hacked servers like in EQ, UO, Ragnarok, etc. And there is no offline mode.

cool so i guess the existing WoW pirate servers are just imaginary ;)

Originally posted by FLECOM
cool so i guess the existing WoW pirate servers are just imaginary ;)
Oh you mean the "YAY LETS TOUR THE LANDSCAPES OF WOW" ones? Ya I don't really consider a virtual chat room to be WoW.

A) stupid question
Actually, the answer is pretty stupid. It's a legitmate question. It's the first thing I asked my beta testers. I realize that the question as posted probably wasn't serious, but there are others that really want to know the answer.

For example, as a power gamer blowing throw the levels as you are... is really all that fun? What's left to do after level 40? Is the leveling too easy then? Is there a point? All these questions can be branched off of the "is it fun" question. Players really want to know how WoW is going to entertain them above the other games currently on the market.

Ready for some serious questions? What part of the design would you change? What is the potential of abuse? Is the difficulty balanced or is it skewed one way or another. On average, what was the turnaround time on builds, or did you play on a single Alpha build? How was feedback accepted? Were you able to see your changes or suggestions implemented? Can you see yourself playing this game one year from now and why?

Originally posted by Torgo
Actually, the answer is pretty stupid. It's a legitmate question. It's the first thing I asked my beta testers. I realize that the question as posted probably wasn't serious, but there are others that really want to know the answer.

For example, as a power gamer blowing throw the levels as you are... is really all that fun? What's left to do after level 40? Is the leveling too easy then? Is there a point? All these questions can be branched off of the "is it fun" question. Players really want to know how WoW is going to entertain them above the other games currently on the market.

Ready for some serious questions? What part of the design would you change? What is the potential of abuse? Is the difficulty balanced or is it skewed one way or another. On average, what was the turnaround time on builds, or did you play on a single Alpha build? How was feedback accepted? Were you able to see your changes or suggestions implemented? Can you see yourself playing this game one year from now and why?
Stupid question as in it's not even remotely specific. Also stupid as in the obvious answer is "yes". As for details... thats what I can answer with more than a "yes".

Yes it's fun as a powergamer. Lev 30 my first time would take me 3 weeks. If not more. But once you play thru the game again, starting from lev 1, in ANY MMORPG levelling is much faster. Thats why it took me only a week. Lev gain isn't linear of course, it's more near exponential, just like in all MMORPG's. So just cause I can get to 30 fast doesn't mean I can get to 60 fast (thats the real cap, 30 is the testing cap for alpha). I should also mention that this is a game you WANT to reach the cap in. Thats when, as a powergamer, you can sit back and take a breather HAH. Wrap up some quests you wanted to do, take part in some story, farm for leet lewt, etc.

Everything is very balanced so far. Internal testing does a great job of filtering things before we test it. I can see myself playing this game much longer than a year from now. Knowing that content will be added, imma have a BLAST! And I'll be on a PVP server, so even if I hit the cap, my fun isn't over...

How's the game for content? Are there a lot of quests to do that are really different?

Content is what I look for most in a game so this is why I ask... Do the quests actually have some significance unlike games like SWG where you just do most quests for money?

Originally posted by GriffiN
How's the game for content? Are there a lot of quests to do that are really different?

Content is what I look for most in a game so this is why I ask... Do the quests actually have some significance unlike games like SWG where you just do most quests for money?
WoW is all about the quests. Some consider it a new kind of "grind". But nevertheless it's fresh. You are ALWAYS questing in WoW. Nonstop questing. Seriously, theres never a point where you need to just stop and not quest. You're always working toward something. As for story, most just click thru and don't even read the quests. But they're actually really interesting and lead up to something greater. Or they can be funny as hell.

Oh you mean the "YAY LETS TOUR THE LANDSCAPES OF WOW" ones? Ya I don't really consider a virtual chat room to be WoW.

Yeah, I'd call it "Star Wars Galaxies"

(PS this thread looks familiar - someone is obviously happy with their omg alpha status)

uhhh, why?

heaven forbid you make a picture "web ready"... i stopped reading this post after i saw that, and it was on the first page...

:rolleyes:

but! will there be some diablo named items floating round! just for the "hehe cool" value?

So far I'm not sold on this. Looks like just another MMORPG :)

We'll see how the beta is, then I'll make final judement on this.

Originally posted by theNoid
How can I sign up to beta test when they have it ?

Signups were in February. They may be doing an open phase later this year.

Originally posted by bjork
uhhh, why?

heaven forbid you make a picture "web ready"... i stopped reading this post after i saw that, and it was on the first page...

:rolleyes:
you wanna see ss's search the web there are millions of em that are downsampled. Why would I post MORE? The only thing ppl have NOT seen would be full rez large ss files. Cause thats what the game would really look like for most. None of this 800x600 compressed jpeg crap.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Seros
is the game fun?
how finished is it?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A) stupid question
B) Nearing completion.

you ask for question i give you question.

you wanna see ss's search the web there are millions of em that are downsampled. Why would I post MORE? The only thing ppl have NOT seen would be full rez large ss files. Cause thats what the game would really look like for most. None of this 800x600 compressed jpeg crap.

Hey you posted the thread. If you didn't want requests you didn't have to :p

What is the level cap?

Is hunting the only viable way to earn enough xp to level?

:rolleyes: 100% jpeg quality is almost perfect, if you really want to be anal, you can use lossless PNG, even that is not raw.

Hang on... I thought questions were going to be answered. Why the bogdown on pictures? There's a whole slew left to be answered.

:( i've just realized that i'm going to spend an unholy amount of time playing this game.

Originally posted by Torgo
Hang on... I thought questions were going to be answered. Why the bogdown on pictures? There's a whole slew left to be answered.
err I linked to the genmay thread which has TONS of pics. And I keep forgetting to UL the pics I got. My roommates would kill me if they were trying to play and lagged to shit cause I was ULing. Sry I'll hopefully get em up tonight. And what questions have I missed?

hatecc - that info is public information, check the WoW FAQ. But... 60 retail, 30 in beta for now, raises every so often. No as I said before questing gives crazy XP. But thats another form of hunting so....

question for you-

ive tried several mmorpgs, anarchy online, E&B, ragnarock, and DOAC, and haven't enjoyed any of them. Maybe i just try these games too late, but everyone seems to be at super high levels and no one is up for questing with lower level people, its all about weak people begging upper level people to do whatever its called when the super high level character powers a lower character up levels (basically no fun). Is WoW going to be the same way? I want a mmorpg where its easy to get to quests, easy to talk to people, and above all, fun to play. I want to be able to solo when I want, and if i meet someone cool than ill play with them, but i dont want to have to rely on others to get soem cool gear etc.... basically my question is whether or not a person who is reletively new to mmorpgs will enjoy WoW...

Back