WoW NDA lifted: ask away

Originally posted by jojor512
question for you-

ive tried several mmorpgs, anarchy online, E&B, ragnarock, and DOAC, and haven't enjoyed any of them. Maybe i just try these games too late, but everyone seems to be at super high levels and no one is up for questing with lower level people, its all about weak people begging upper level people to do whatever its called when the super high level character powers a lower character up levels (basically no fun). Is WoW going to be the same way? I want a mmorpg where its easy to get to quests, easy to talk to people, and above all, fun to play. I want to be able to solo when I want, and if i meet someone cool than ill play with them, but i dont want to have to rely on others to get soem cool gear etc.... basically my question is whether or not a person who is reletively new to mmorpgs will enjoy WoW...
Whats nice is that most of your gear will come from questing at the lower levels. But the best loot is always had in the dungeons. You can actually start dungeon sprawling at around lev 15 (eat that EQ). But you'll find that quest rewards are more than sufficient. And if you can find a group to go hit a dungeon, then you can always buy the gear. Generally quest rewards sell for pretty cheap since u can get em yourself for free eventually. So you can buy rewards from quests that you cannot do yet for a great price. But, as always, the people who play more often and invest more time and are higher level will always have better gear. So theres somewhat of a compromise. Unlike in FFXI where it requires days of camping rare spawns to get good gear. So having a friend hook you up helps yes, but there are level restrictions on all gear.

As for finding ppl to quest with... WoW, "success" or "failure" will have ASSLOADS of ppl playing it. And since questing is almost a must, and many quests require groups, you'll have little to no problem finding a group.

Bliz has said many times over they want their game to be "pickup and play" friendly. So if you've never played a MMORPG you'll pick it up quick (not to mention the controls are a dream). And it also means that if you only got an hour to play, you can jump in, kill a few things and leave feeling like you actually accomplished something.

Originally posted by Kintoun
Whats nice is that most of your gear will come from questing at the lower levels. But the best loot is always had in the dungeons. You can actually start dungeon sprawling at around lev 15 (eat that EQ). But you'll find that quest rewards are more than sufficient. And if you can find a group to go hit a dungeon, then you can always buy the gear. Generally quest rewards sell for pretty cheap since u can get em yourself for free eventually. So you can buy rewards from quests that you cannot do yet for a great price. But, as always, the people who play more often and invest more time and are higher level will always have better gear. So theres somewhat of a compromise. Unlike in FFXI where it requires days of camping rare spawns to get good gear. So having a friend hook you up helps yes, but there are level restrictions on all gear.

As for finding ppl to quest with... WoW, "success" or "failure" will have ASSLOADS of ppl playing it. And since questing is almost a must, and many quests require groups, you'll have little to no problem finding a group.

Bliz has said many times over they want their game to be "pickup and play" friendly. So if you've never played a MMORPG you'll pick it up quick (not to mention the controls are a dream). And it also means that if you only got an hour to play, you can jump in, kill a few things and leave feeling like you actually accomplished something.

sounds good to me, thanks for the reply

RvR?

PvP?

RolePlay or Power Game Servers?

Is their {do you for-see} loot whore problems?

Does your computer spec run it "flawless" with 100-200 other players on screen {ala' DAoC}?

Crafting? Will/are crafted items as good dropped/quest items?

Can you play 2 accounts in windows mode?

Any problem with a buff-bot account?

Running a buff-bot in windows or side-by-side any problem with controls?

Are Taurine bandwagon?

I'll have more later. :)

-=M=-

What is the most played class?
What is the least played class?
What is the most powerful class?
What is the least powerful class?

I think I'm going to be a gnome mage, but I guess time will tell.

I noticed in the game that when you try to turn water to high detail, after you say ok to the settings and then go back into the settings, the water detail is set back to low. I have an AIW 9700pro. Does this happen with nVidia cards as well? I also noticed in the config that there are a lot of options disabled, such as use of pixel shading, light maps, etc. Enabling all of these does make a difference in the game (shiny water works, but the water itself has really low texture resolution). Anyway, just wondering if other people have experienced this same problem and if you guys know of any graphical "tweaks."

Also...how do you get the game to run in window mode? I enabled window mode in the config, but it still doesn't take (even executed a cfg I made in the console and no go). Anyone know how?

Originally posted by DaBuddMon
I noticed in the game that when you try to turn water to high detail, after you say ok to the settings and then go back into the settings, the water detail is set back to low. I have an AIW 9700pro. Does this happen with nVidia cards as well? I also noticed in the config that there are a lot of options disabled, such as use of pixel shading, light maps, etc. Enabling all of these does make a difference in the game (shiny water works, but the water itself has really low texture resolution). Anyway, just wondering if other people have experienced this same problem and if you guys know of any graphical "tweaks."

Also...how do you get the game to run in window mode? I enabled window mode in the config, but it still doesn't take (even executed a cfg I made in the console and no go). Anyone know how?

Just guessing, maybe some of these graphical features haven't been fully implemented yet?

Originally posted by M3ltd0Vvn
RvR?

PvP?

RolePlay or Power Game Servers?

Is their {do you for-see} loot whore problems?

Does your computer spec run it "flawless" with 100-200 other players on screen {ala' DAoC}?

Crafting? Will/are crafted items as good dropped/quest items?

Can you play 2 accounts in windows mode?

Any problem with a buff-bot account?

Running a buff-bot in windows or side-by-side any problem with controls?

Are Taurine bandwagon?

I'll have more later. :)

-=M=-
They haven't tested PVP yet. But they have some great ideas, but they remain rumors. :ets all pray for a PVP server, but I think it's obvious there will be one, there is huge support. Dunno on other serves.

Loot whore? As in ppl who jack loot? Well ppl see resources for crafting and fking jack tho all the time (issue being looked at). Chests are stolen all the time (same). Looting in groups can be set to round robin where only that person can loot. But on really rare items you always roll for em.

No it runs FAR worse with more ppl on screen. But they haven't optimized that yet, it's on the bug list.

Crafted items are not even near dungeon loot rare items. There are about 4-6 named NPCs in each instanced dungeon that drop phat lewt. Crafted items do not compare. Ppl r whining that they want crafted items beefed up tho. The blacksmiths uber crafted items r actually kinda good tho. Leatherworking is horrid, with tailoring somewhere inbetween.

You can play infinite instances of the SAME account right now (diff chars). For release you can prolly dual instance separate accounts. command line -windowed.

Right now Bliz has allowed FULL ACCESS to their scripting engine LUA. This is used for the interface but you can automate a shitload of actions and create your OWN interface. You can even make bots for this as a dev did. It's basically a buff-bot. The want ppl to hack the shit outta their LUA based interfacing so they know what to block or allow for release. BTW the custom scripts made thus far are awesome.

There are bugs with running in windowed and having 2 instances. Not sure if they're gonna fix those bugs as it really shouldn't be allowed. Oh BTW alt-tab works, and works FLAWLESSLY. Unlike MANY other game that leak memory to SHIT. I was shocked to see how well WoW works with alt-tabbing.

Actually... Tauren seem to be not the favored race. Humans and NE's are.

Originally posted by Cverick
What is the most played class?
What is the least played class?
What is the most powerful class?
What is the least powerful class?

I think I'm going to be a gnome mage, but I guess time will tell.
There was a website that had cool info like this. Basically asking what race class you would play in WoW.

Answers went something like...
Most played - NE Hunter
Next - Human Pally
Fav Race - Human
Next - NE
Fav class - Pally
Next - Warlock

Remember these are from NON players. I really couldn't answer from alpha players. Cause we were always limited by what we were allowed to test. During the 2nd beta phase (few weeks) we'll have access to almost everything cept for prolly hunters.

Originally posted by DaBuddMon

I HEARD they will be making some leet water. But who knows when/if that will be. But yes it sets itself back to low, thats sposed to happen.

add -windowed to the target line in your shortcut icon.

My pics r up BTW

bout freakin time

They're 3MB to 7MB so beware. Keep it to [H] only and DO NOT post elsewhere. And esp do not link directly to my pics, else I'll get a nice letter from my school.

How's the combat? I hope it's not like every other MMORPG where you click on things until they die.

Originally posted by WuTangClam
How's the combat? I hope it's not like every other MMORPG where you click on things until they die.
Actually it's really fun and takes some skill. It's not a mash fest or anything and certainly not sit and watch. For different situations you'll find yourself using totally diff combos or skills. Also like most MMORPG's wow has hate management. As in be careful of what you do else you might have the mob turning to hit on you. It's really noticeable running around with skilled players vs unskilled ones. Surprisingly warriors take a significant amount of skill. Soloing or grouping. Of course by skill I don't mean twitch based skill like in quake, but just intelligence and knowledge. The way skills compliment each other is really awesome tho. Thats what I mean by "combos".

Back