wow @ my new 3870's temps.

dreamer3kx

Limp Gawd
Just received my Sapphire 3870,the thing stays extremely cool at idle,49c. My 2900pro used to idle at around 60c,thats a huge difference.Anybody else want to share there temps?

antec 900, its in my sig. I want to reseat the HSF with some new AS5 and see if it drops load temps at all, I like running cool :p

with the fan at 54% and running 1300 oc on the memory my card runs at 32 degrees

Hmmm ATI Tool says my card's idling at 70C. Doesn't seem right.

49C idle is average.
You can change the cooler and get amazing results.
The Accelero S1 should fit your card or there will be a version that does soon. It fits the X19xx series cards so it may go straight on.
It took my 8800GT's temps down to 32-35C idle and 42-46C load, hugely overclocked too.

Sapphire HD 3870

75F room temperature
GPU Idle: 45C
GPU Load: 83C'ish

System Temperature: 30C always -- Antec 900
CPU Tempeature never above 45C on full load after hours

80F room temperature
GPU Idle: 52C
GPU Load: 90C I've seen it hit after a few hours of TF2

System and CPU remain the same.

My cards all on stock right now. I think I'm going to tinker with the fan speeds with ATI Tool or Rivatuner soon. Anyone know what the default fan settings are for these?

My GTX idles at 55c. But that's with 100% fan, anyway... in a heated-up room though. :cool:

At what fan duty cycle do you guys' 3870s idle at? Mine shows 0% in ATI Tool. It seems to automatically ramp up the fan speed under load, and always keeping the temperature between 70-80C, idle or fully loaded.

I could manually set the fan speed to 40% in Rivatuner and that brings idle temperature down to 47C, so obviously the stock idle fan speed is either very low or even completed stopped!

I think ATI Tool has some issues with the fan controls with the 3870. I am using 0.27 Beta 4 and it doesn't actually say that the fan is spinning up or down at different temperatures. I think its bugged a little bit, it pretty much says either 0%, 40%, or 100% even though it never actually is at 0% :confused:

At what fan duty cycle do you guys' 3870s idle at? Mine shows 0% in ATI Tool. It seems to automatically ramp up the fan speed under load, and always keeping the temperature between 70-80C, idle or fully loaded.

I could manually set the fan speed to 40% in Rivatuner and that brings idle temperature down to 47C, so obviously the stock idle fan speed is either very low or even completed stopped!

Yeah, the stock fan speed was set too low. Sapphire has got a new bios for that

Could you dig up a link to the bios and instuctions on how to flash it? I have never flashed a vid card bios before.

My X1950GT idle at 35*C, maxes out around 45*C (seriously). But it has an Accelero S1+Turbo on it, and plenty of fans in the CM690.

I ordered the GeCube 3850 w/heatpipes, so it it idles anywhere close to 50*C, it'll get the Accelero treatment.

38c idle, 51 load on my twin 3870's (with AS5 applied to the heatsinks)

All you guys quoting idle and load temps really need to state a case or room temp, otherwise the figure is worthless.

When a room is 15C vs a room 30C the idle core temp can be up 10C higher for the latter easy.

We don't all live in perfect air conditioned 21C environments, for a start its heading into Winter in the Northern hemisphere and summer in the Southern :p

Room temp 20 - 22C
Idle 33 - 35C
Load 42 - 46C depending on the game and room temp

BFG 8800GT OC @ 1740/1836/940 (stock 625/1566/900)
Accelero S1 cooler
Ramsinks to be refitted as they didnt stick and now have the glue and Arctic Ceramique.

ps I had to chop up the Voltage Regulator heatsink and tie the 2 sinks on with plastic coated garden wire.
I dont know if the newer Accelero S1's VR heatsink fit an 8800GT straight away.

Try to stay on topic. Thread is about 3870 temps.

Edit:

Then again OP did not really give any specific boundaries. Will post my 3870 temps once it arrives.

Try to stay on topic. Thread is about 3870 temps.

Edit:

Then again OP did not really give any specific boundaries. Will post my 3870 temps once it arrives.
I was thinking the same thing, not sure why the Nvidia card owners are posting here. I've read plenty of messages about overheating problems with the 8800gt cards.

I was thinking the same thing, not sure why the Nvidia card owners are posting here. I've read plenty of messages about overheating problems with the 8800gt cards.

I was demonstrating that the hot GT's can be tamed with a good cooler and that the op might want to try the Accelero S1 on his similarly hot ATI card.
2 other posters told us the temps of their NVidia cards which is useful for the OP to get an idea of what a cooler change can do.
We were asked to post all relevant temps so I did and hope that this is good info for the OP.

I'm in this thread to help the OP.
Why are you posting in this thread, to tell us that you've seen hot GT's before and dont want to hear about it again?

Can I just ask which drivers you guys are using on the 3870? I can't get catalyst running on mine and atiTool shows me a blank Temp graph and I have no option to monitor Temp's! :confused:

Can I just ask which drivers you guys are using on the 3870? I can't get catalyst running on mine and atiTool shows me a blank Temp graph and I have no option to monitor Temp's! :confused:

me neither, but i just plugged the new card in with the old drivers.

hopefully after a complete reformat i can see my temps.

i got a visiontek hd3870

if you got good air flow so the fan sucks in more air then it can hit ice cold temps :eek:

My Sapphire
idle:
idlesk6.jpg

load:
loadal3.jpg

:D

What are you using to monitor the temp? I have never seen that program before.

thats the catalyst control center from ati, under ati overdrive tab.

my visiontek with vf700 cu

roomtemp 27C
idles: 45C
load: 80C

not much better then stock but i needed to swap for space restriction reason.

oh, its overdrive, so you have to have one of the new spider motherboards right?

So NCIX had AC Accelero S1's on clearance today, $20 CDN each. I picked up a couple, thinking what the hell, with the default BIOS on the 3870's, they're pretty much passively cooled anyway, these can't be any worse, and they'll certainly be quiet.

Installed the S1's using the supplied thermal pad, left the stock RAM and VRM heatsinks on, buttoned the case up, fired up the system, and checked the temps

I was VERY surprised.

Idles went from 55-60c to 35-37c.

Under full load, a complete CCC AutoTune test cycle, they never went over 65c.

The bottom card is running about 2c hotter than the top, just because airflow ain't as good down there at the bottom of my P180 case...but it's still 10-15c cooler than stock.

And once again, that's with the thermal pads that came with the coolers and no curing time...I might get ambitious this weekend and do a full AS5 job on them, see if that brings them down any lower, but I doubt it'll help much.

Can't complain, the pair cost me less than what a single VF900 or VF1000 was going for, and I can always throw more fans at them if I want even more cooling.

Obviously, they're totally silent. I didn't change any of my P180's case fans configurations (120mm center intake, top exhaust and rear exhaust, all Scythe 22F's), they're still running at a low 800 RPM. The Scythe on the ThermalRight Ultra Extreme 120 is running at 1500 RPM and some of that air is spilling down on the top 3870.

Case temps didn't go up that I could see....so the exhaust effect of the OEM cooler wasn't helping much...I suspect more of the air was getting out of those 16 holes at near the end of the cooler than was making it through the vent grills on the outside.

And FYI, the S1's can work with both a single or double Crossfire cable...sorry for the shitty pics, just a PDA Phone cam with no flash or focus:

Cable slips between the fins, they slide up and down a bit on the outside, which makes it perfect for a single cable.

s1crossfire1.jpg

Hard to make out with the shitty pic, but there's the sliding fins I was talking about:

s1crossfire2.jpg

Here's a couple seated on a loose motherboard with the cable connected:

s1crossfire3.jpg

To get it to work with two cables, you'll need to bend the fins on the inside of the first heatpipe, to make room for the cable end to fit through, then you can bend them back into shape...the cable will have a bit of a kink in it on the first card's side, but works fine and reaches (barely) the second card.

Back