WOW memory question.

UrbN

Limp Gawd
I tried to play WOW with 256mb pc3200 ram, but it was fun, but choppy at parts. A friend said he'd let me borrow a stick of pc3200 256mb ram to make my system have 512mb. Will the system run any different with 512 mb compared to 768, or maybe even a gig? It's not a bad time for me to buy ram, but with the holidays it puts a strain on the wallet. So, what i'm asking would i get an enjoyable experience outta WOW with 512mb?

my system specs:

Pentium 4 3.0ghz HT
Asus p4p800s-x
480w Neopower psu
BFG Nvidia 6800oc
80 gig WD 7200rpm HD

UrbN said:
I tried to play WOW with 256mb pc3200 ram, but it was fun, but choppy at parts. A friend said he'd let me borrow a stick of pc3200 256mb ram to make my system have 512mb. Will the system run any different with 512 mb compared to 768, or maybe even a gig? It's not a bad time for me to buy ram, but with the holidays it puts a strain on the wallet. So, what i'm asking would i get an enjoyable experience outta WOW with 512mb?

my system specs:

Pentium 4 3.0ghz HT
Asus p4p800s-x
480w Neopower psu
BFG Nvidia 6800oc
80 gig WD 7200rpm HD

by far, I can tell u this, with 1gb the game would be flawless with ur setup too

First off, with the rig you have specified below, I can't understand why you don't already have more then 256MB of ram, but answering your question: YES, ram is definitely your bottleneck ATM. I would suggest getting at least 1GB to get the most out of your system.

by adding ram you will increase your load times drastically and increase your overall system responsiveness. also you will no longer have skipping and low framerates when you enter new levels and areas.

so.. yea , add some friggin ram and start enjoying your games and computer more :)

NeoNemesis said:
First off, with the rig you have specified below, I can't understand why you don't already have more then 256MB of ram, but answering your question: YES, ram is definitely your bottleneck ATM. I would suggest getting at least 1GB to get the most out of your system.

What he said. As to why you have a system like that and only 256mb of ram, I will never understand.

ahhh, i'm kicking myself in the butt too i know. It was a gift from my mom, i was on pricewatch one day, said i wouldn't mind getting this system. A few days later i got a package with my name on it, opened it up and there it was. She had bought me the mobo, cpu and ram package on pricewatch. She really doesnt know a WHOLE lot about computers, but atleast i got my system upgraded finally. :) ;)

NeoNemesis said:

Or at LEAST 512. Wowsers that machine with 256MB huh lol

You are TOTALLY wasting that machine with only 256 RAM. Get that thing up to 1 gig and you will be smooth sailing and you'll wonder how you lived this long without it.

Look at my sig for PC and Notebook. I can play on both 1280x1024 (desktop) 1400x1050 (600m native res) and max settings on both. It runs flawlessly and im running an average of 25-50ms latency.

The time of 1GB min. recommended is here. Get the ram!

okay, now i have everyone burning me on the RAM cross, where would you recommend me buying this ram at? All the people that have sent me links are only having 256mb avalible, where is a good place to purchase gig of ram at?

P.S. hell, i'd even take donations to help out, give me some a small handicap price :)

I could pull off buying a 512mb stick now, and then one in jan. The gf would kill me dead real fast if she caught me buying this now.!

Deadguy said:
by adding ram you will increase your load times drastically

I assume you mean it will DECREASE your load times drastically. If I put in more memory and my load times took longer... I'd be a little pissed. :p

Just get in a game of WoW and open up task manager. If your commit charge is larger than the amount of ram you have (which it most likely is) then you need more memory. I've seen WoW use anywhere from 150-350MB of memory.

I was just in Stonetalon when I had a nasty hardcrash. The error report showed 92% memory utlization and I have a full gigabyte. Not much else running when I am gaming.

TheGamerZ said:
I assume you mean it will DECREASE your load times drastically.

haha actually i got a litte ahead of myself, i meant it will increase the speed of your load times.

but now i guess just saying decrease would have been a more efficient choice anyway. :)

Back