WoW Info

RicKuRuKuS

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys I was wondering if you could post all the official World of Warcraft information you have in here. Things such as monthly fees, classes and races, and other reviews or anything would be nice as I am considering purchasing this game.

-warsaw

All I can say is go to worldofwarcraft.com -- It has everything you want and everything I have no desire to list.

Oh yeah... buy the game... it kicks ass. Gets my GOTY award, even over Halo 2.

warsawtag said:
Hey guys I was wondering if you could post all the official World of Warcraft information you have in here. Things such as monthly fees, classes and races, and other reviews or anything would be nice as I am considering purchasing this game.

-warsaw

worldofwar.net

good info there

DASHlT

WoW definately pwns hard. I particularly like the cartography section of worldofwarcraft.net. Sux to not know your way around, particularly when you hear something like, "Horde in Darkshire," or "Auberdine is under attack!" (You will hear both pretty frequently if you are on a PvP server.)

You can turn off the World Defense and any other general chat channel you want, but in PvP it's essential to know. I just turn it off unless I'm looking for a fight. But I agree, it's mostly spam and gets rather annoying.

I'm excited enough that I'm taking next week off to play :)

You don't really notice it after a while anyways, I just rely on people talking in general to report alliance activity and raids (since I'm on horde). People are usually pretty good about reporting that kind of stuff.

Can't wait until tomorrow - hope they have the CE version at one of the retail stores since I didn't pre-order.

Valen said:
Can't wait until tomorrow - hope they have the CE version at one of the retail stores since I didn't pre-order.

they wont, both ebgames and gamestop told me that only preorders for the CE were shipped and would be available tuesday

If you are remotly a Warcraft fan, you'll absolutely love WoW (that is understanding it is a MMORPG). I can't wait to get started.

theNoid said:
If you are remotly a Warcraft fan, you'll absolutely love WoW (that is understanding it is a MMORPG). I can't wait to get started.

I dont care much for Warcraft, but I loved WoW! I had been playing Star Wars Galaxies sense the begining and never knew how bad it sucked till I played the first Stress Test for WoW. I haven't played SWG sense!

I played in the open beta and had fun with it. It was quite addicting. I looked on worldofwar.net to get some info on Paladin talents and such, and what I saw there was rather depressing. Keep in mind I've never played a MMORPG before, but have played many RPG's like Baldur's Gate, Dungeon Siege and so on. I played D&D for many many years..

That entire site is extremely informative and detailed. It is done with mathematical precision by very hard core people. That depresses me. There is no RPG elements to it. I mean, they have Paladin "builds" for god's sake. I'm a software developer, and a build is just a construct of code to me. That's exactly what the Paladin build is. They have defensive builds, healing builds, and so on. The end result of everything I read there was just about maximizing a character to beat the obstacles of the game. It totally lacks soul.

Is that what the game truly is? Is the essence of a MMORPG, specifically WoW, to merely be a cog in the party engine that functions a certain way to defeat mobs, or excell in PvP? If that is the case, I'm not sure I can play WoW, because surely that can not be fun over the long haul.

I can see how that mathematical mentality can happen. As I said, I did get addicted during the open beta. That addiction stemmed from the urge to level up, and aquire better equipment in order to more easily defeat mobs.. to gain more levels and aquire better equipment.. defeat tougher mobs.. lather.. rinse.. repeat.

Last night when I looked at worldofwar.net, I realized the most important part of a game for me is it's soul. That's why I hated Doom3, and love HL2. Doom3 was beautiful and repetitive. HL2 had a feel.. of being in the oppresed city.. of all the other things that go into making a great game.

Does that not exist in WoW? I suppose the game is broad enough that you can get out of it what you want, but is there enough soul in the game to satisfy somebody who is not super uptight about the percentage increase in the damage done from a talent you won't get until level 60?

I'm really worried that I'll buy the game, and just mindlessly grind to keep up with the Jones', if you know what I mean.

dawtips said:
they wont, both ebgames and gamestop told me that only preorders for the CE were shipped and would be available tuesday

Man I freaking hate that, it's so stupid. Whos' thinking is it that nobody else will want a copy on release day, I sure hope someplace else has it. Worse is when they do this with the whole game, I mean not just CE.

dawtips said:

Well, just took a look at the eb website, they're not even advertising the CE version anymore - it is out of stock I think....

Gamestop seems to have some in stock, gonna have give them a call...

theNoid said:

why? It's a completely different gameplay right?

chew63 said:
I think he's referring to the characters involved and the story line and so forth. While yes it's a total different gameplay, if you love the Warcraft universe, the characters and the story...it's not that far of a stretch and should truly be enjoyed by anyone who is a Warcraft fan.

Micas said:
That entire site is extremely informative and detailed. It is done with mathematical precision by very hard core people. That depresses me. There is no RPG elements to it. I mean, they have Paladin "builds" for god's sake. I'm a software developer, and a build is just a construct of code to me. That's exactly what the Paladin build is. They have defensive builds, healing builds, and so on. The end result of everything I read there was just about maximizing a character to beat the obstacles of the game. It totally lacks soul.

Is that what the game truly is? Is the essence of a MMORPG, specifically WoW, to merely be a cog in the party engine that functions a certain way to defeat mobs, or excell in PvP? If that is the case, I'm not sure I can play WoW, because surely that can not be fun over the long haul.

You dont have to play that way...just play and build the character thats most fun and either solo (which is what I do most of the time) or group up. You dont have to have a finely tuned machine type character to play...just make and do whats fun, and let the rest take care of itself.

Steel Chicken said:
You dont have to play that way...just play and build the character thats most fun and either solo (which is what I do most of the time) or group up. You dont have to have a finely tuned machine type character to play...just make and do whats fun, and let the rest take care of itself.
Certain classes are better at certain things though. Take the hunter for example. Great at PvE but horrid at PvP because you need a minimum distance between the enemy to shoot arrows. Players don't just fight your pet while you fling arrows at them from a distance like a mob will.

obs said:
Certain classes are better at certain things though. Take the hunter for example. Great at PvE but horrid at PvP because you need a minimum distance between the enemy to shoot arrows. Players don't just fight your pet while you fling arrows at them from a distance like a mob will.

no doubt, if all character classes were the same, why bother with classes?

Steel Chicken said:
no doubt, if all character classes were the same, why bother with classes?
I agree, but I am pointing out if someone wants to do a lot of PvP they will be disapointed if they chose hunter.

Well, hopefully the game won't turn out to be all about stats..

On another note, I really hope they will allow unlearning a talent, but I doubt they will. During the open beta, I clicked a wrong spot and it gave a talent I really didn't want, and there was no conformation.

If picking talents is permanent, you really have to research a lot up front. I think they should make quests that allow you to unlearn a talent so it's not so easy that people do it at will, but still allow you to fine tune your character later on and correct a mistake.

Micas said:

On another note, I really hope they will allow unlearning a talent, but I doubt they will. During the open beta, I clicked a wrong spot and it gave a talent I really didn't want, and there was no conformation.

If picking talents is permanent, you really have to research a lot up front. I think they should make quests that allow you to unlearn a talent so it's not so easy that people do it at will, but still allow you to fine tune your character later on and correct a mistake.

you can unlearn them

Micas said:

you can respec talents, the first time you do it, it costs you 1gold, the second time costs you 5g, and im not sure how much it scales up...

but just do it at your class trainer

dawtips said:
you can respec talents, the first time you do it, it costs you 1gold, the second time costs you 5g, and im not sure how much it scales up...

but just do it at your class trainer

I read someplace that you could only do that during the beta and that in final, you can't unlearn a talent.

chew63 said:

Yes, but ... it brings out the Warcraft fan in one. Other MMOs I've played didn't have that ...

I heard a rumor/innuendo that WoW will require you to play on a server in your time zone. Has Blizzard gave a response to this? My team of 11 plans on playing and this could be a deal breaker.

[LYL]Homer said:
I heard a rumor/innuendo that WoW will require you to play on a server in your time zone. Has Blizzard gave a response to this? My team of 11 plans on playing and this could be a deal breaker.

How would they know what timezone you're in? If it's based on your windows setting, just change it to register the character, then change it back.

[LYL]Homer said:
you can pick any region you want...
ITs that Europeans and Koreans can't play on the US servers because of IPs and the type of payment they accept for the US servers

obs said:
I agree, but I am pointing out if someone wants to do a lot of PvP they will be disapointed if they chose hunter.

this assumes you duel 1v1.. i'm sure hunters are really good when you're team raiding.. what could be more annoying than a tank pally with a hunter behind him pounding you with arrows while the pally just blocks your way...

Does anyone know if the regular version gives you a free month of play? I think the CE would definitely be worth the extra cost if the regular version does not. Also, is the regular version CD's? If anyone who gets their order can let me know, I'd appreciate it.

the@ntipop said:
Does anyone know if the regular version gives you a free month of play? I think the CE would definitely be worth the extra cost if the regular version does not. Also, is the regular version CD's? If anyone who gets their order can let me know, I'd appreciate it.

Regular edition comes with a free month and the game is on 4 CDs.

Micas said:
How would they know what timezone you're in? If it's based on your windows setting, just change it to register the character, then change it back.

This is how it works.

1. You select your timezone ingame
2. You can select what server you want to play on (to play with friends)
3. Example ... you pick Pacific time.. well you ONLY see day time in the game when its daytime in real life..and so on. Its really cool.

Micas said:
I read someplace that you could only do that during the beta and that in final, you can't unlearn a talent.

no... open beta is a direct representation of retail

I'm not going to look it up, but I know 100% that Blizzard has officially stated that while you could redo talents in Beta for the price of 1 gold, you WILL NOT be able to redo your talents in retail at any time for any amount. It's on the site somewhere, I'm 100% of this. They stated it was allowed in Beta to let people test out different builds. I'll link when I have time to find it.

Train

Back