Wow i'm never buying a game from Valve again

IsaacMM

Gawd
I never used Steam before. So i buy The Orange Box retail and i need to have an internet connection to be able to play it? That's totally stupid. And it forces me to update my game to be able to play it? What if i don't want to update it? What if i don't have internet, i can't play the RETAIL game i bought?

I'm never buying a Valve's game again.

You can:

1) Play offline (after the game is activated)

2) Turn off updates

(prerequisite) read up on Steam

I had to check to make sure this wasn't a thread from years ago... Seriously, you bought a game off steam without finding out any of those things that suddenly surprise you now?
Are we supposed to feel sorry for you?

yah you go ahead and not buy anything from Valve again... One less ignorant, complaining customer for everyone to deal with. ;)

You must still be on dial-up or something. If that's the case, then yeah Steam will suck. Broadband changes everything though.

Steam is awesome. Play offline if you have no internet connection.Your rant holds no water.

Wow, you didn't even read up on steam before using the service to purchase games, and your crying about it on a public forum, did you even think your post through before you pressed submit? If you did, you would know posting this is like saying IM A NOOB! Please flame me.

Its just too easy.

I had to check to make sure this wasn't a thread from years ago... Seriously, you bought a game off steam without finding out any of those things that suddenly surprise you now?
Are we supposed to feel sorry for you?

yah you go ahead and not buy anything from Valve again... One less ignorant, complaining customer for everyone to deal with. ;)

He bought the retail box. Valve software, as far as I know, requires the usage of STEAM for retail box copies.

To the OP, since you activated your game through STEAM, your retail copy now has no resale value. Once registered, it cannot be unregistered and re-registered by a new owner. If I interpret the policies correctly, the transfer of a STEAM account is against the user agreement.

I never used Steam before. So i buy The Orange Box retail and i need to have an internet connection to be able to play it? That's totally stupid. And it forces me to update my game to be able to play it? What if i don't want to update it? What if i don't have internet, i can't play the RETAIL game i bought?

Reading box fail.

He's saying he bought the Orange Box retail. I'm guessing he means hard copy, and not digital download?

He's saying he bought the Orange Box retail. I'm guessing he means hard copy, and not digital download?

Yup. But all VALVe games require authentication through Steam, so really there is no difference between a hard copy and a digital download of them.

man i remember when i bought HL2 and this was a problem for me. i had just moved into a new place and i wasn't scheduled to get internet until a few days later. i was pissed i had to wait to play. but like everyone else has already stated, this is a tired-out issue that was beat to death 4 years ago.

If you can start this thread then you can activate your retail copy and associate it to your steam account. After that even if you are not connected to the internet you can still start steam in offline mode and play all you want. Your rant is pointless, Steam works just fine.

Excuse him for wanting to play the game he paid for without having to phone home. Maybe he could've gone about his complaint better, but still...

yes, maybe he should of read the REQUIREMENTS on the box posted in nice lettering for all to see..... if he could of been bothered to read it....

it is his own fault.

I never used Steam before. So i buy The Orange Box retail and i need to have an internet connection to be able to play it?

Just to activate it.

That's totally stupid.

RTFB.

And it forces me to update my game to be able to play it?

You can turn it off.

What if i don't want to update it?

You can turn it off.

What if i don't have internet, i can't play the RETAIL game i bought?

You can go into "offline mode" and play with yourself.

:eek:

Grats.

/golfclap

Dad? dad is that you?

I went over this same thing with my dad when he got a new valve game. freaking old ppl I tell you.

in before the lock!

Steam is awesome, except you can't mod San Andreas FOR SHIT. I wanna drive an Audi around Los Santos, GON SARNET!

First of all, this is a legit issue. You buy games from a store for a few reasons.

1. You want a boxed copy
2. NO INTERNET CONNECTION TO DOWNLOAD
3. 56k/pay by download internet

Now, the last two reasons are completely good reasons why you buy a boxed copy, and therefor I can't understand why they would require an internet connection to play.

Can someone confirm that you really 100 percent need to be connected to the internet to activate/play any of the OB games? Like you can't just buy the boxed copy and play in any way unless you first activated it?

He bought the retail box. Valve software, as far as I know, requires the usage of STEAM for retail box copies.

To the OP, since you activated your game through STEAM, your retail copy now has no resale value. Once registered, it cannot be unregistered and re-registered by a new owner. If I interpret the policies correctly, the transfer of a STEAM account is against the user agreement.

You can however "gift" the game to someone else, so there's the potential for resale that wy.

First of all, this is a legit issue. You buy games from a store for a few reasons.

1. You want a boxed copy
2. NO INTERNET CONNECTION TO DOWNLOAD
3. 56k/pay by download internet

Now, the last two reasons are completely good reasons why you buy a boxed copy, and therefor I can't understand why they would require an internet connection to play.

Can someone confirm that you really 100 percent need to be connected to the internet to activate/play any of the OB games? Like you can't just buy the boxed copy and play in any way unless you first activated it?

You must activate any Valve game via Steam (and thusly, must have an internet connection) after you install it, then you can play offline without issue. The box states that an internet connection is required. As another poster said, you can turn off automatic updates if you have a slow connection and want to play right away. If you buy a retail box copy of a Valve game you're getting 9/10th+ of the data on the disc, you're only missing updates, so even on a slower connection it shouldn't take that long to get current.

Unlike SecuROM and other activation-limited systems, Steam is a true 'one time only' setup, and you have access to /all/ the software you buy through it from anywhere, at any time. Yes, it complicates resale, but it's hard to argue it's not a solid system.

The only concern I have is if and when something should happen to Valve or the Steam servers... but I don't see that happening any time soon, as they're a strong development house with an equally strong commitment to the distribution system.

No, no it's not a legit issue for VALVe games. Box says you need an internet connection... period. Yes, VALVe is one of the few companies that does this with all their games; and guess what? They have less issues with piracy for it.
Profits FTW.

You can however "gift" the game to someone else, so there's the potential for resale that wy.

You must activate any Valve game via Steam (and thusly, must have an internet connection) after you install it, then you can play offline without issue. The box states that an internet connection is required. As another poster said, you can turn off automatic updates if you have a slow connection and want to play right away. If you buy a retail box copy of a Valve game you're getting 9/10th+ of the data on the disc, you're only missing updates, so even on a slower connection it shouldn't take that long to get current.

Unlike SecuROM and other activation-limited systems, Steam is a true 'one time only' setup, and you have access to /all/ the software you buy through it from anywhere, at any time. Yes, it complicates resale, but it's hard to argue it's not a solid system.

The only concern I have is if and when something should happen to Valve or the Steam servers... but I don't see that happening any time soon, as they're a strong development house with an equally strong commitment to the distribution system.

Interesting. So I suppose the only reason Valve is doing retail distribution is for people who do not have a credit card/afraid of online fraud?

Back