Wow! I Bought a GTX 970!

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Just got this from Newegg. As you know, we many times purchase review hardware depending on our needs around here. It looks like I plopped down cash for 3.5GB 970 some time in the past. We are all going to the strip club when the check gets here! I hope I bought more than one.

(NO R9 Class Action Lawsuit per AMD, even though Newegg sent out mailers stating such.)

970 BIG .jpg

Last edited:
Funny, they sent me one earlier...
IW1dB0i

I was hopeful I'd get some $$$ back for my 980 as well (already knew about the 970 lawsuit). Pretty sure they fixed this email pretty quickly though. :(

Attachments

• 980.png
    980.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 25
I bought 2, I wonder if I actually qualify for $60

edit:durp fingers cant type

Last edited:
I got my two 970 GTX's at Best Buy. Hoping to get $60 from this and put it towards one or two 1080's with some cash I'm getting selling some old hardware.

Will make my "out of pocket" nearly zero. :)

If there is no cap, I have receipts for about 25 970s that I bought from Microcenter and then resold them here for what I paid for them. Can't wait!

So i just got the same email from Newegg, but replace the words NVIDIA with AMD and GTX 970 with R9. The only video card I have bought from Newegg is my Fury X, I was not aware there was/is a class action for this card. What gives?

The first email I got from Newegg about this said "GTX 960 Class Action Lawsuit". I thought, for what, being too slow? Having a 128 bit bus? :)

y3mScXnIoaoU2FN-WoPblza1d-9t0uWaQv04sluqaNJFwwKs6CgouqB5Gji6mFwCOYWn6-CH5gm-vJ-FUidDJ2g0O5w4hJxPbtoyvyC9J8Gd24yKWHbomMxRBuOPFrjPjiRzJ1JlpbySL-a2PdNLjLfr8XV_VO_fbAv5Kp8yw1Ufvo

Errr... right after the 970 one I got this. Anyone know what this one is about?

r9l.jpg

Newegg sent this e-mail to anyone that purchased a 960, 970, or 980. Including TI versions. They had a blog post where they had a huge list of cards they said were involved in the class action lawsuit. That blog post has since been removed.

http://blog.newegg.com/nvidia-gtx-970-class-action-lawsuit/

In 2008 there was a class action lawsuit against Nvidia and ATI for price fixing. It only applied to cards bought directly from Nvidia or ATI, which Nvidia didn't even do at the time. So it only applied to sales directly from ATI's website, which wasn't a lot of people. I got the full price of my video card back from the settlement (~$450). That was the highlight of my class action lawsuits.

What is this lawsuit with the r9's from amd? I bought mine off of TigerDirect but they're long dead.

I got the 970 Newegg email today too. I'd take a $50 coupon off a 1070/1080 instead of $30 money... are you listening, Nvidia?

The first email I got was yesterday for a 980, then I got one for the 960 this morning and then finally the 970 this afternoon. The only class action I know about is for the 970 but I'll take money for each.

I got the 970 Newegg email today too. I'd take a $50 coupon off a 1070/1080 instead of $30 money... are you listening, Nvidia?

If there are actual settlements for each card I'd definitely take $50 in credit for each as opposed to $30 cash. Grab myself a 1060 for the office.

The reason the other maxwell based card's are involved is because it they don't get quite hot enough to make shitty coffee taste any better. From what I've heard part of the 970 3.5GB class action lawsuit stipulation also included the way Nvidia advertised it's DX12 feature set since it doesn't have genuine hardware level support for it. Whatever though $30's more in my pocket whatever the case is good by me.

Wow... You all missed the point of this news article.

Kyle is taking us to the strip club.

I call shotgun.
Don't bring Steve, apparently his heart can't take it anymore :(

Sorry Steve, no more hookers and blow.

is Amazon a part of this settlement?...I bought my 970 through them (although they gave me a discount after the 3.5GB VRAM controversy came to light)

I would assume it's for person's who bought the 970 brand new. I bet Nvidia will probably have some website with info on how to get the refund. Probably name, address, and proof of purchase.

The first email I got from Newegg about this said "GTX 960 Class Action Lawsuit". I thought, for what, being too slow? Having a 128 bit bus? :)

y3mScXnIoaoU2FN-WoPblza1d-9t0uWaQv04sluqaNJFwwKs6CgouqB5Gji6mFwCOYWn6-CH5gm-vJ-FUidDJ2g0O5w4hJxPbtoyvyC9J8Gd24yKWHbomMxRBuOPFrjPjiRzJ1JlpbySL-a2PdNLjLfr8XV_VO_fbAv5Kp8yw1Ufvo

I got the same message for the GTX 960 as well. Hope I get back some change! :)

I got one of these emails for a card I didn't buy. I ordered a 970 last year for the gf's rig when the single 780 started to artifact in certain instances, but the email was identical to Kyle's besides the name and it didn't say anything about a GTX 970, but a 980 that I didn't buy I did buy a 980ti but afaik there is no class action suit over anything other than the GTX 970 (recent ones anyway). Is weird but I'll get the $30 eventually and spend it on a giant steak at the butcher and then cook it with fire and consume it.

I got the 970 and 980 email. I never bought nor do I own a 980. I went from the 970 to the 980ti.

I knew aboutthe 970 rebate - thought it was cool of Newegg to send people that bought from them an update. Sad part is, I don't remember ordering from Newegg - I would have bet you $30 I got it from Microcenter :)

I take it this is just for first time buyers. I got mine 2nd hand so i assume i can not get $30, but the guy i bought it from can...

Back