WoW Gamer Dies After Playing 19 Hours Straight

I used to play first person shooters with a group of ex pro gamers and 80+ hours a week of hardcore gaming was the norm, 24hr livestreams and lan parties were like a biweekly eventsthese guys and this has been going on since elementary school and most of them are in their thirties now.

Everytime i read one of these stories it makes me wonder if they were already predisposed with something undiagnosed and the inactivity just acts as a sort of catalyst to triggrt the inevitable. Also you cant rule out enhancement drug side effect, Some of these guys take ungodly amounts Of addadderal, caffeine, etc to gain the upper hand.

I used to play first person shooters with a group of ex pro gamers and 80+ hours a week of hardcore gaming was the norm, 24hr livestreams and lan parties were like a biweekly eventsthese guys and this has been going on since elementary school and most of them are in their thirties now.

Everytime i read one of these stories it makes me wonder if they were already predisposed with something undiagnosed and the inactivity just acts as a sort of catalyst to triggrt the inevitable. Also you cant rule out enhancement drug side effect, Some of these guys take ungodly amounts Of addadderal, caffeine, etc to gain the upper hand.

I'd be extremely interested in what the tox reports list inside these peoples' systems.

I just took my sons gaming rights away after he played for 6+ hours yesterday. That was after he played 2 baseball games, pitched 6 innings, and was out of the house from 7:30am till 2:30pm.

What happened to people................ Get some sun and exercise.

I just took my sons gaming rights away after he played for 6+ hours yesterday. That was after he played 2 baseball games, pitched 6 innings, and was out of the house from 7:30am till 2:30pm.

What happened to people................ Get some sun and exercise.

This server you call... "Outside" is usually offline or down for maintenance. :p

Does the intensity of being into the game also influence this? I know network techs that have pulled off like 48 hour shifts during a major outage. Why does this only seem to affect gamers?

I work 12 hour shifts, that's not that much less than 19 hours, so it's kind of alarming that sitting down for that long is actually lethal.

You say that until they do it and it will always pop up at the wrong time. Horrible idea, how about just let adults be adults hmm?

No, we aren't being saved from ourselves nearly enough.
What are you thinking?! :p

Most likely a blood clot in the leg considering how it comes on so rapidly and him coughing up blood which is a sign the artery in the lungs just got jammed and back pressure caused an artery to burst

Also if you get edema while sitting this isn't as bad as sitting and getting NOTHING, edema just means your body is having difficulty getting blood back out of the legs but it is clearly pumping, sitting till you get a blood clot is ignoring the bodies signs that the legs are getting no blood, an example is people who read on the toilet and then their legs fall incredibly asleep.

Most likely his blood pressure was through the roof as well after 19 hours of constant gaming

Max I've gamed is 72 hours straight (MVC2, practicing for an arcade tournament). But then again I was playing mostly on the lying on my stomach or sitting on my bedroom floor, so maybe the different positions saved me from myself.

I've done 32 hours straight with WoW. I got up many times to walk a bit , drank water (and alcohol) , ate some food.

All I do is get up for 2 minutes every hour and I stretch every 3 hours for about 2 minutes. Its a simple routine.

Don't get these marathon gaming deaths. Doing simple life required things like drinking/eating is just needed. Stretching helps a lot too.

Why is it always the asian countries that we hear about this from? There's a few things going on that we don't know about -- most simple and logical explanation? Undiagnosed medical issue.

19 hours? That's not THAT long if you really think about it... unless the kid literally didn't move an inch and was pissing into soda bottles, we are missing some pretty important clues.

Warnings on games? Fuck you -- I'm a healthy 32 year old male who goes on long video game benders, but I do know when to take a break and move around or take care of my life/house. We already have so many warning labels or intrusions in our lives due to stupid fucks already. Not saying the dude deserved to due, but take care of yourself or face the music.

Does the intensity of being into the game also influence this? I know network techs that have pulled off like 48 hour shifts during a major outage. Why does this only seem to affect gamers?

I work 12 hour shifts, that's not that much less than 19 hours, so it's kind of alarming that sitting down for that long is actually lethal.

I'm heading into software dev, and i am very, very seriously considering a standing desk setup. Through my time in school, i have done WAY too much sitting in front of the computer. It's "part of the job" if you will, but these types of stories really make me consider that much harder.

Then again, i am also of the (non-scientific) opinion that simply getting a good workout each day whether it is cardio or weights and avoiding high fat crap keeps your blood vessels nice and unclogged.

I do honestly feel for his family / loved ones. They are living in hell at the moment.

Maybe companies could invent a chair that would prevent such things happening. Or gamers could stop being such fricking nerds and take a break every once in a while...

Most likely a blood clot in the leg considering how it comes on so rapidly and him coughing up blood which is a sign the artery in the lungs just got jammed and back pressure caused an artery to burst

Also if you get edema while sitting this isn't as bad as sitting and getting NOTHING, edema just means your body is having difficulty getting blood back out of the legs but it is clearly pumping, sitting till you get a blood clot is ignoring the bodies signs that the legs are getting no blood, an example is people who read on the toilet and then their legs fall incredibly asleep.

Most likely his blood pressure was through the roof as well after 19 hours of constant gaming

One of my gripes with Final Fantasy XI was the glacial pace meant a 19 hour marathon didn't really accomplish a whole heck of a lot. Killed way too many Saturdays for not nearly enough stuff.

Did you take any breaks though? For years and years I was emergency response working three 14 hour shifts a week, and then was off four days... loved it! But I sure as hell took breaks walking around with my wireless headset or doing situps and even brought a 25lb dumbell to do various simple exercises now and then. I still miss wearing shorts to work. :(

im sure i took bathroom breaks if nothing else. if this guy managed to hold it for 19 hours, stationary without doing a seated peepee dance, he either had an iron bladder, or was beef jerky levels of dehydrated :eek:

I honestly can't believe how many half-wits this forum has to offer.
He had a handkerchief ready and didn't seem that alarmed that blood was coming out. In fact he did everything to keep the situation discreet. This had nothing to do with gaming. He was dieing and chose to finish his life as many pathetic people do, ignoring life, and gaming.

The saddest part is, someone who cares that much about gaming, yet can't even game on their own PC :(

there stories never make sense to me...even if you're gaming for 19 hours straight you're still moving around...your arms, legs, body...and I would think that even the most competitive gamers would know when it's time for a drink of water or bathroom break...

I've done 32 hours straight with WoW. I got up many times to walk a bit , drank water (and alcohol) , ate some food.

All I do is get up for 2 minutes every hour and I stretch every 3 hours for about 2 minutes. Its a simple routine.

Don't get these marathon gaming deaths. Doing simple life required things like drinking/eating is just needed. Stretching helps a lot too.

They should have restrictions for long game play at internet cafes

basically you have a time card and you should be forced to get up off your computer for 1 hour every 8 hours at least.

The saddest part is, someone who cares that much about gaming, yet can't even game on their own PC :(

The world has become over populated with useless humans with no direction
but to go online into an alternate reality.

As bad as I feel for the guy's family, I look at it as self-selection for the Darwin Awards.

i don't believe gaming was the cause at all.

i commonly sit at my computer for 10-12 hours a day, doing various things. I mean i get up to piss and shit, let the dog out etc, but still.

Probably just a under lying condition which caused him to die.

Not only is it always Asians but it's always in these gaming/internet cafes. When was the last time you heard "fat white American found dead in parents basement 3 days after WoW expansion launches after raid group called cops when he suddenly went afk during boss fight and hadn't returned for over 3 hours".

It's not always just Asian but either Chinese or Korean, and always at these internet cafes. I'm going to say that culture and gaming conditions have more to do with it than just the total time played. They likely can't really lock the computers they're using so if they're not with friends if they get up they risk someone screwing with their game, or perhaps losing their station?

Maybe "Lack of Personal and Private Space in Asia Kills Again" would be a better title?

i don't believe gaming was the cause at all.

i commonly sit at my computer for 10-12 hours a day, doing various things. I mean i get up to piss and shit, let the dog out etc, but still.

Probably just a under lying condition which caused him to die.

Agreed.
For an embolism to do that to a person, it would have to be massive.
Yes, it could happen, but I doubt it.
The typical symptoms of pulmonary emboli are progressive shortness of breath, not bloody sputum or coughing up blood. That's pretty far down the line.

That bloody sputum could also be stomach or esophageal bleeding or another lung condition like TB or pneumonia.

Pulmonar emboli can lead to bloody sputum, and fairly often it does.
And while the typical case is an obese passenger traveling over the Pacific, the situation on internet cafes on Asia can be worst, as the gamer can refuse to leave the chair over a long gaming session for fear of losing the spot / have his gaming stuff stolen etc.

gaming on your house basement is less dangerous than flying over the Pacific because: you do not fall asleep during a long gaming session and you do not postpone going to bathroom too much, as most of us doing when facing the idea of using a plane bathroom. :eek:

I've done about ten 24 hour sessions over twitch and plan on doing many more. How does someone NOT move for that long? I have to go to the bathroom and eat at the most basic levels. But after about 4-5 hours i start doing pushups and jumping jacks every hour. The fact that this guy DIDNT move in the entire time is really strange. You body becomes fatigued after a few hours of not moving.

You say that until they do it and it will always pop up at the wrong time. Horrible idea, how about just let adults be adults hmm?

You mean making people responsible for their own actions? No way

If people are dumb enough to play games for 19 hours straight without moving and die because of it...Sorry but there has to be a Darwin award for that somewhere. The risks of sitting for too long are publicized all over the internet.

The pop up thing is not a bad idea..for a WOW player from what I have seen it doesn't matter when the pop up happens, they will instantly be annoyed either way and no break is ever wanted (had a friend start playing wow and didn't see him for 5 years..that's not a joke).

I only think it's a good idea mainly so Blizzard has a legal out when the family members of people that kill themselves playing the game and sue claiming he wasn't warned. Better yet, have it so every 2 hours it disconnects from the server for 15 minutes with a warning pop-up 15 minutes prior. Like seat belts, it's sad we have to enforce this instead of people being smart enough to do it on their own.

People somehow don't care to believe it for some reason, but China has been waging a propaganda war against the Internet for years, just so that they can assure their citizens that they censor it/disconnect it to protect their health (all tyranny hides behind a mask of benevolence.) In fact, the *only* country that seems to generate such stories--and regularly it seems--is China. I was not surprised to see yet another the-Internet-killed-him story from China.

I'm a 30 year old, 6'2, 210 lbs former Marine that hasn't seriously worked out for about 8 years. I work in IT sitting on my ass most of the day, will game for hours on end if given the opportunity, and have been a gamer since....NES?? Hell, it was a common occurrence for me to waste away my weekends playing Counter-Strike from 7am to 2-3am the next morning for a few years there. Anyways, I don't understand how someone, who is generally in decent health, could cause fatal harm to themselves while gaming. Even during long periods of gaming I don't sit still, I change sitting positions and get up to do basic human things like waste disposal and nutrition intake. It does seem a bit shady that these kinds of stories always come from Asian countries and their cafes. I'd imagine if it happened in the US, the family would flip shit and sue the business, media would plaster the story all over the place, a celebrity or two would take up the cause and spread misinformation, and politicians would attempt to pass more legislation against gaming.

OOOO OOOO Another thought I just had, what kind of implications this could have moving much further down the line when we start getting into VR, or even possibly, partial/full body virtualization. Well aware that that kind of VR experience is a great distance away but its a thought I had.

Coughing up blood, sudden pallor, collapse... all signs of hemorrhaging followed by rapid loss of blood pressure and shock. The 19 hours of gaming isn't what killed him. The stress from being awake too long and intensely focused on the game could have elevated his blood pressure and triggered the hemorrhaging, but there was definitely something else already wrong with him for this to happen. This would not have happened to a normal, healthy individual.

whelp i bet there will be a lawsuit.... Someone Suing the Game manufacturer for making the game too addictive and causing the death of this person....

The reasons behind it No one wants to take responsibility for their own actions...

whelp i bet there will be a lawsuit.... Someone Suing the Game manufacturer for making the game too addictive and causing the death of this person....

The reasons behind it No one wants to take responsibility for their own actions...

This has happened a number of times to WoW players and to my knowledge no one has actually (successfully) sued Blizzard because of it.

How many people are playing WOW right now? millions right.... and a certain percentage of people die every day. Well.... wow these things are bound to intercept occasionally right? draw a freaking Venn diagram if you need a visual to describe this concept.

When people die sitting in their office chairs at work, do we blame their excel spreadsheets? When people die in bed, do we blame the sheets they are using?

While I'm sure sitting too long is a factor in all of this, I'm sure smoking, diet, caffeinated drinks, obesity, and pre-existing medical conditions are way more of a factor than the fact he happened to be playing a video game.

This has to be BS. It always happens in the Far East somewhere. You have to be in a very cramped position for a long time before getting DVT, unless you have a clotting problem with your blood anyway... Just having to get up to pee once in a while is enough to prevent it.

I've played longer than that in a session dozens of times.

If it were truly possible it'd happen worldwide not only in obscure internet cafes in Asia every 6 months.

That's why I drink beer while gaming, helps me pee once every hour.....

Back