WoW Gamer Dies After Playing 19 Hours Straight

BTW, developers could actually help with this issue via a simple popup once every two hours: "Please take a brief break to stretch." That would be rare enough to not bother most people, and frequent enough to give a reminder to some people to MOVE AROUND.

BTW, developers could actually help with this issue via a simple popup once every two hours: "Please take a brief break to stretch." That would be rare enough to not bother most people, and frequent enough to give a reminder to some people to MOVE AROUND.

You say that until they do it and it will always pop up at the wrong time. Horrible idea, how about just let adults be adults hmm?

Adults don't need a reminder to move around. No one gets 19 hours into a gaming session without biological signs that moving around may be beneficial. Plenty of people game 24+ straight hours without ending up dead.

I guess he loved the game to death. To say this is a tragedy is a gross over-exaggeration. He chose a game over his life & so did his friends.

This falls more along the lines of a Forest Gump quote than anything else.

Max I've gamed is 72 hours straight (MVC2, practicing for an arcade tournament). But then again I was playing mostly on the lying on my stomach or sitting on my bedroom floor, so maybe the different positions saved me from myself.

This has to be BS. It always happens in the Far East somewhere. You have to be in a very cramped position for a long time before getting DVT, unless you have a clotting problem with your blood anyway... Just having to get up to pee once in a while is enough to prevent it.

I've played longer than that in a session dozens of times.

If it were truly possible it'd happen worldwide not only in obscure internet cafes in Asia every 6 months.

The most I ever gamed in one sitting is about 9 hours once, when I had the flu, and was in bed all day with my laptop. I remember feeling light headed after all that, but it could have been the fever talkin'!

These days, I rarely game for more than an hour at a time (start feeling guilty about not being productive with real-life activities). Hard to believe people will do this to themselves!

Adults don't need a reminder to move around. No one gets 19 hours into a gaming session without biological signs that moving around may be beneficial. Plenty of people game 24+ straight hours without ending up dead.
They don't? Without my Google and MS calendars, I would forget shit all the time, and I can only speak for myself but I lose track of how long I've been gaming on a regular basis.

The notification doesn't have to be smack in the middle of the screen and requiring you to click it to go away. It can be as simple as a semi-transparent digital clock showing what time it is in the top corner, with a notification that pops up over it in red as a reminder every two hours, and then fades away.

And the fact that not everyone that games for 24+ hours without moving will die doesn't mean it isn't very dangerous for your health, and he probably had the exact same attitude as you do, until he started coughing up blood.

You know too for each time we hear of another guy dying from a gaming binge session, there are dozens others that didn't die but had some lesser negative health effects.

Honestly, I don't see the harm versus the potential benefit.

When ai was younger I would sit at the pc for hours and my legs swelled up, hospital ended up injecting me in the stomach for five days incase it was caused by a clot, i got ultrasounds all over body but it turned out to not be a clot cause of sitting but they told me it was edema.

Injections in the gut were sore, so now i limit myself to an hour or so at the pc before getting up o move around and whilst at the pc i move my legs alot and also wear tight socks to help with blood flow since docs said i would be more prone to it since i do alot of pc work.

So be careful and move your legs whilst at the pc and take regular breaks, as a blood clot can kill in seconds either by causing a stroke or heart attack or causing you to lose a limb, also once you get a clot you are on medication for fucking ages.

Prolonged sitting obviously isn't healthy but how do we know for sure it wasn't some other factor(s) that had more of an impact such as smoking, diet, environment, combination of, exusting health issues, etc.

This isn't even an issue. If any developers implement something like this then those developers need to be slapped up both sides of the head.

BTW, developers could actually help with this issue via a simple popup once every two hours: "Please take a brief break to stretch."

Yarite. I can only imagine the caustic rage that would flood Blizzard's forums if they did that.

"OH mai gawd BLIZZERD IZ NAZIS trying to tell us wut 2 do"

That is true, that's how it all started. First Hitler made all the workers get up and stretch every two minutes, then he started shoveling jews into ovens. Its a slippery slope. :D

A lot of times what happens is a simple blood clot forming from say the edge of the chair if sitting motionless without shifting for hours and hours and hours while you have a very low resting heart rate (since you're not moving around), and then they shift, the blood clot travels somewhere really bad, and voila instant death.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2011216/How-sitting-desk-long-deadly-blood-clot.html

Does blood clotting make one cough up blood too? Just curious. Could he have been suffering from something else? I'm not saying the 19-hour straight session wasn't involved, but his symptoms are kind of weird.

maybe its because i break the IT stereotype and actually workout regularly and i'm healthier, but i know for a fact i've done 19 hour benders at my desk at previous jobs. its these people doing 3-4 days that make total sense.. but 19 hours? guy must have been in morbid shape.

along this train of thought, while doing work in Sao Paulo, they actually had a (smoking hot) fitness instructor lady come around twice a day and have the whole damn office doing office grade cardio/stretching right there at their desks. everybody stood up, hot chick lead the little ~5 min class, everybody went back to normal. it was both weird and awesome.

Many Korean and Japanese MMOs put up momentary warnings. I think the most recent one I played that did this was PSO2 (PC).

If League of Legends or StarCraft 2 were MMOs they'd probably have the same warnings by now too with how many Koreans dominate both games.

just noticed the comment above mine.. somehow i failed to notice there was blood on that cloth. wtf mate.

maybe its because i break the IT stereotype and actually workout regularly and i'm healthier, but i know for a fact i've done 19 hour benders at my desk at previous jobs.
Did you take any breaks though? For years and years I was emergency response working three 14 hour shifts a week, and then was off four days... loved it! But I sure as hell took breaks walking around with my wireless headset or doing situps and even brought a 25lb dumbell to do various simple exercises now and then. I still miss wearing shorts to work. :(

Does blood clotting make one cough up blood too? Just curious. Could he have been suffering from something else? I'm not saying the 19-hour straight session wasn't involved, but his symptoms are kind of weird.
From the article:
The clot became dislodged, and a few weeks later Diana was in hospital with a life-threatening pulmonary embolism (blood clots on her lungs).
If you look up symptoms of pulmonary embolism, it includes coughing up pink phlegm and/or blood!
oncology_risk_v_awareness.jpg

Well that's pretty simplified "sitting too long".. It all depends on how you're sitting and if you have other issues that contribute to it.. Most of the time it's not an issue unless you're in a confining position where you're literally unable to move your legs around for hours at a time. Most people sit in a chair and shift around and get up once in a while to get a snack, something or drink or to go to the bathroom. So you're still moving around.

Under those circumstances, if you still get a clot, there is most likely an underlying issue that makes you more prone to it.

These internet cafes need to live up to their names and serve refreshments or something, sounds like these guys aren't getting their electrolytes.

I don't know why this is even news. lots of people have been gaming for extended period of time. Its not JUST the game that does this. Sitting in FFXI for an 48+hours exp party with the wife.
We don't need no freaking warning in games. Just some common sense in people

The guy could have died from a DVT, but it's doubtful unless he had some underlying medical issues.
19 hours, while a long time to be seated, isn't that long for a young guy.
I'm sure he got up to go to the bathroom somewhere in there.

The description.....we just stood there and watched him die while waiting for the ambulance is a little vague.

The guy could have died from a DVT, but it's doubtful unless he had some underlying medical issues.
19 hours, while a long time to be seated, isn't that long for a young guy.
I'm sure he got up to go to the bathroom somewhere in there.

The description.....we just stood there and watched him die while waiting for the ambulance is a little vague.

Probably just indicates how quickly he died. I really feel bad for the guy and for those witnessing his death. Tragic, no matter how you slice it. :(

A 24 years old man believed to be addicted to World of Warcraft died after playing 19-hours straight.

From the article.^^^

Believed to be addicted? 19 hours straight, ya think!

Could be a separate deal from any suspected emboli to could be an internal bleed. Either way we need more information. Amazing how it is always an Asian that games to death.

I can't find a screen capture of it, but there is a message that shows on the load screen sometimes (random selection of tips) that says something to the effect of:

"Make friends in Azeroth, but see them outside sometimes as well"

From China, so yeah I am sure he was probably smoking like a chimney also. Smoking is rampant in Asia. Tobacco companies are still in business because their main money comes from overseas now. Most of Asia is hooked and have been for decades. It's probably why most of the deaths like these are from Asian countries, heavy smoker, sedentary, overly focused on gaming for extended hours is definitely a time bomb waiting to go off. I honestly don't know how someone can play that long. I have done 8 hours at my max single session and I don't think I could do it again if I wanted to.

While I know that this tragedy will cause some people to thing WoW is all bad, just think of all the lives that WoW has SAVED.

While I know that this tragedy will cause some people to thing WoW is all bad, just think of all the lives that WoW has SAVED.
Like that time WoW ran into a burning building to pull those two children out of the smoke, not to mention WoW's record number of kills as a sniper in Iraq watching over our troops as they went building to building, or that time that WoW saved a boy from a moose attack.

Back