WoW Fastest Selling PC Game EVER!

no surprise considering the massive hit their servers took last week. Blizzard's titles always sells well. But in any case, I am not getting this until they start fixing the servers to take in the lag. I was in open beta and in some cases lag was bad and I just dont see myself coughing up money for this.

i remember diablo2 broke the record back when it was released, and then warcraftIII broke diablo2's record

blizzard obviously knows how to make a good game :)

Doom 3, then Half-Life 2, then WoW...

Records were made to be broken.

:eek: I guess I am the only one that hated the game or didnt care for it at all. I uninstalled the beta in a week. Should have sold it on Ebay. :(

I guess I'm the only human on this planet to have never seen or let alone play warcraft

Most of the lag on the servers is gone now its just the fact of getting into one that is the problem. I was in que of 1300 people last night. Insane overload.

Never played warcraft untill I was at a lan back in february that was playing that as one of the main games. You should pick it up if you like rts games espically Blizzard ones. Its pretty good but most of the players online are a bounch of runny nose runts

Yay for them - its kickass after all.

But i wonder how it compares to other titles like HL2 or Halo2 or MGS3 or GTA:San Andreas and all the other big games this season.

I guess i'm the only person alive who thinks blizzard hasn't made a good game since starcraft. Before that they were all pretty damn good. I loved warcraft 1 & 2, and starcraft. Diablo 1 was alright, but I found diablo2 to be just more of the same, and warcraft 3 just completely sucked.

Haven't seen or played WoW though. I really interested in seeing why people like these mmorpg games so much. I have never played one but it mostly looks like just running around killing monsters trying to level up. Not exactly something that would keep my interest for very long.

CyberCRAP said:
I guess i'm the only person alive who thinks blizzard hasn't made a good game since starcraft. Before that they were all pretty damn good. I loved warcraft 1 & 2, and starcraft. Diablo 1 was alright, but I found diablo2 to be just more of the same, and warcraft 3 just completely sucked.

Haven't seen or played WoW though. I really interested in seeing why people like these mmorpg games so much. I have never played one but it mostly looks like just running around killing monsters trying to level up. Not exactly something that would keep my interest for very long.

Don't nock it until you try it. WoW has been converting people like you on these boards left and right.

Maximus825 said:
Um.. what happened to Halo 2 outselling every game on it's first day?

I made the same mistake; Halo 2 is a console game and they are apparently only counting only PC games.

These are great sales for a PC game.

But i wonder how it compares to other titles like HL2 or Halo2 or MGS3 or GTA:San Andreas and all the other big games this season.

I don't know about HL2 or MGS3, but...

With Halo 2, there is no comparison. It sold 2.5 million units in the first day.

Maximus825 said:
Um.. what happened to Halo 2 outselling every game on it's first day?

"Blizzard reports this means the game sold more in its first 24 hours than any other PC title has, ever."

Was Halo 2 a PC game? :rolleyes:

WoW is amazing. I love it. 29 Tauren Shaman right now and I love being able to whack things around and then do it some more. Chasing down gnomes is my favorite. "Oh did you backstab me? Have a frost shock and my big stick on your head! Bad Gnome!"

On a sidenote HALO was an awful excuse of an FPS but it catered to the xbox kiddies. My friend that was a halo nut says halo 2 was worthless compared to the first one and I hated the first one so im not even going to bother with the second. Its all about mouse and keyboard baby.

On a sidenote HALO was an awful excuse of an FPS but it catered to the xbox kiddies. My friend that was a halo nut says halo 2 was worthless compared to the first one and I hated the first one so im not even going to bother with the second. Its all about mouse and keyboard baby.

Nice flamebait.

Unfortunately, you seem to know little to nothing about the subject matter (You likely haven't even played either game, but that is beside the point). The largest demographic in the Xbox market is the 22-28 category. Unless you're collecting social security, I don't think you're in a place to call anyone in that age bracket "kiddies".

Jealousy is such an ugly thing. Keep it to yourself.

WickedAngel said:
Nice flamebait.

Unfortunately, you seem to know little to nothing about the subject matter (You likely haven't even played either game, but that is beside the point). The largest demographic in the Xbox market is the 22-28 category. Unless you're collecting social security, I don't think you're in a place to call anyone in that age bracket "kiddies".

That may be statistics but i really dont see them polling children... or the children giving a shit enought to go to xbox site and vote. I am 16 and i hate halo. I do however know that the majority of the people in line at my town were still in high school. A good friend was first in line, well his group of friends were(about 6 of em) and another(that dragged me in) was 4th. I saw lots of young people and it was all the fags would talk about for the next 2 weaks of school.

I don't know if WoW is any good, having never played it, but so far my initial impression is that it's complete and utter Horse-shit.

This is based on it taking 10 minutes to copy the files from each CD, 40 minutes total, when I was able to copy then entire EQ2 DVD in just a few minutes. Considering I have never had that kind of trouble with installing a game before I doubt it's my PC's fault.

This is also based on the horrific, apparently peer-to-peer, patching system that took an hour to download 19mb of data.. I can download a 19mb patch to EQ2 in about 5 minutes.

Anyway, after nearly 2 hours straight of installing and downloading less data than it took EQ2 20 minutes to install and download I am going to leave here and actually see if it will let me play the game. If the wait was worth it I will let you know.

Just a quick update.. Apparently I now have to wait about 5 minutes for the patch to apply itself to the 11393 files that need to be updated. 11393 files 2 weeks after release? I can't believe people thought EQ2 was still beta while WoW was good-to-go.

WickedAngel said:
Nice flamebait.

WickedAngel, defender of xbox, champion of Halo, silently watches over the once righteous Hard Forums. His ever vigilant eyes instantly detect even the slightest trace of his arch-nemeses, the ignorant pc gamers. Expecting a slow night, WickedAngel lets his guard down for a second... But... What's this? An anti-halo/xbox post in a thread that our hero had posted in only hours before?! Our champion leaps into action. "Back fowl beast!!", he cries as he smites the enemy with all the strength he can muster. Dazed and confused, the cowardly foe retreats. With his adversary vanquished, and the forums once again safe from PC corruption, our hero retires into the night.

Your sarcasm is amusing, but baseless. There are arguments against Halo that I've made personally (The entire last third of the original was repetition, the ending of the sequel was garbage, and the sequel itself had no real direction).

Unfortunately, none of these points are never used by those who bash consoles. Instead of having an original thought, we get the token bandwagon comments that never make it past the "xb0x3n suck$ and ur gay if y0u like it lolz!!!111".

I'm not anti-opinion, I'm anti-ignorance (And there seems to be an overabundance of it directed towards consoles here). You seem to believe that I have something against PC gamers (Which makes no sense, considering I enjoy building PCs). If someone acts like a fool then I'm going to call them on it, regardless of the subject matter.

I saw lots of young people and it was all the fags would talk about for the next 2 weaks of school.

See what I'm talking about, WuTang? These are the people you're defending.

WuTangClam said:
WickedAngel, defender of xbox, champion of Halo, silently watches over the once righteous Hard Forums. His ever vigilant eyes instantly detect even the slightest trace of his arch-nemeses, the ignorant pc gamers. Expecting a slow night, WickedAngel lets his guard down for a second... But... What's this? An anti-halo/xbox post in a thread that our hero had posted in only hours before?! Our champion leaps into action. "Back fowl beast!!", he cries as he smites the enemy with all the strength he can muster. Dazed and confused, the cowardly foe retreats. With his adversary vanquished, and the forums once again safe from PC corruption, our hero retires into the night.

That was real nerdy...

but funny ;)

WuTangClam said:

Lordy thats weak. I couldnt even make up something that lame no matter how hard I tried.lol.

Was I the only one that thot Halo 2's graphics suck ass? Guess the Xbox is getting old.

As for WoW. It looks great visually. Will prob be a great game. Sure its got server issues and such but name a single MMORPG that didnt have a ton of problems at launch. Remeber the EQ players class action suit? Remeber it taking AC over 6 months to get the game really playable..etc..etc.

Will prob be the best MMORPG ever. But I wont know about it. I wont be playing it. Ive had it forever with level based games. Whoever grinds out the most levels is somehow a better player than anyone else? I put up with that kind of game as much as Im going to. If it aint skill based its just mental masturbation as far as Im concerned.

CyberCRAP said:

There's a lot more to these types of games then just that. Collecting better gear, getting better spells, collecting artifacts or sets of magical armor. It gets very addictive... ;)

WuTangClam said:
Our champion leaps into action. "Back fowl beast!!", he cries as he smites the enemy with all the strength he can muster.

AFLAC!

arentol said:
I don't know if WoW is any good, having never played it, but so far my initial impression is that it's complete and utter Horse-shit.

Well, at least play it before you slam it.

arentol said:
This is based on it taking 10 minutes to copy the files from each CD, 40 minutes total, when I was able to copy then entire EQ2 DVD in just a few minutes. Considering I have never had that kind of trouble with installing a game before I doubt it's my PC's fault.

Anyway, after nearly 2 hours straight of installing and downloading less data than it took EQ2 20 minutes to install and download I am going to leave here and actually see if it will let me play the game. If the wait was worth it I will let you know.

Yeah, it seemed to be an unnecessarily slow install to me too, but I have an older system. I was guessing that they used a higher compression ratio on the install discs than typical games.

arentol said:
Just a quick update.. Apparently I now have to wait about 5 minutes for the patch to apply itself to the 11393 files that need to be updated. 11393 files 2 weeks after release?

Well, you can take that any way you want to support your opinion. You could also say Blizzard is being pro-active about implementing fixes and changes, many of which are due to customer feedback.

Anyway, give the game a try. It sounds like you've already decided to hate it though, so I don't think there's much chance of you enjoying it.

I had similarly slow install and patch times (especially on my older system), but once I got into the actual game it was well worth the wait.

i got WoW last a week ago, i'm a lvl 14 orc hunter. i love the game, i can't stop playing it, i just wanna hit lvl 20 this weekend so i can dual wield some axesss.

if you don't like the server problems and long lines, i strongly suggest you join a low population server, i'm on bloodscalp mountain server with my clan and we're having a good time, hopefully the population does get up to be medium sometime though, i can't buy or sell anything on auction houses with the low pop.

JonnyK said:
i got WoW last a week ago, i'm a lvl 14 orc hunter. i love the game, i can't stop playing it, i just wanna hit lvl 20 this weekend so i can dual wield some axesss.

if you don't like the server problems and long lines, i strongly suggest you join a low population server, i'm on bloodscalp mountain server with my clan and we're having a good time, hopefully the population does get up to be medium sometime though, i can't buy or sell anything on auction houses with the low pop.

Same here, Im having a great time with 8 other friends of mine...Never experienced the "waiting in line" -- only in the open beta -- but let me tell u, blizzard made SO MANY changes in a matter of a week and for them to have a 5 hour down time, and 4 servers out of 88 or so go down, I think they did a great job in such a short amount of time to get to where they are....after the outtage on day one, I have had no problems....\

I just hate how people knock it while it was still being tested...Remember they sold more pc games than any other on day one !!!! Obviously they didnt expect that load so fast...and for them to have fixed it within 5 hours....great job. I play on Zul'Jin on the eastern side.

Blizzard is no Valve or Sony. There 10x better.

arentol said:
Got flamebait?

As for me, Level 27 Undead Priest on Hellscream. Took a week off work to play it since I had the time. Can't put it down. It's cocaine in a can baby!

I may have to pick this up. I played SWG a lot back in the day. I hear this is way better.

WoW is a terrific game, and Blizzard seems to have stablized things fairly quickly. It does get annoying to wait in queue to logon on during the evening, and I hope they resolve that as well. Then again, I play on a highly populated server that a lot of Australians have adopted.

There are some things that are highly annoying though. Some quests require you to kill X number of a certain beast. The locations of those beasts gets camped a lot, and it can be very frustrating having to wait for them to spawn. Instanced dungeons are great though.

Overall, I'm addicted - level 24 dwarf paladin.

arentol said:

This is also based on the horrific, apparently peer-to-peer, patching system that took an hour to download 19mb of data.. I can download a 19mb patch to EQ2 in about 5 minutes.

If the patcher is in any way related to the downloader for the open beta, I feel you. That thing required like a dozen ports to be open for it (1 here, 1 there and a range of 10, IIRC). The worst part is that, based on the numbering of the range of ports it used, it looked like a modified BitTorrent client at work (and I've read other places that this is, in fact, what it is). If they'd just used a straight, well-written, BT setup you'd be able to :

* use only one port
* have that port be any port you want (simplifying multiple machines behind a NAT)
* be talking to the server over port 80 (almost never going to be blocked by firewiles)
* be able to get decent downloads if you're firewalled

Trying to get a P2P setup working for content distribution is a great idea - considering the sales numbers this game had, imagine how bad the server load would be on opening day if they hadn't had P2P - but it's a pretty shitty implementation.

wtburnette said:
There's a lot more to these types of games then just that. Collecting better gear, getting better spells, collecting artifacts or sets of magical armor. It gets very addictive... ;)

I hope your right, because i noticed a box just sitting there at target and went ahead and bought it. If it turns out to suck i'm holding you personally responsible :D .

Oh yeah, and what is up with the cheap paper sleeves for the cds, and the insanely long install time? I mean come on blizzard, give me a single dvd, or atleast cds with jewel case. Shelling out $50 + $15/month, expect a little more than this.

Back