WOW Duels, do you use potions

Do you use potions during duels

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zoramac

Limp Gawd
I just fought a duel last night and lost by a hair, one hit either way would have done it. Then the guy says, "wow, that was tough, ive never had to use 4 potions before in a duel". Granted we were both palidins and our duels last alot longer but i always thought using potions during a duel was kind of taboo. If id have realized he was using them i could have too and easily won. I guess the next time ill have to ask "are we going to be using potions?"

I'm an alchemist, and using potions is part of my PVP strategy. Since I consider a duel practice for PVP, I use every strat I normally would in the PVP setting...including potions.

Being an alchemist warlock is nice, because I can use a potion for a good 500+ health, and then a healthstone which currently gives me a nice 500-750 health. Since they are on different re-use timers, its great! I can use them both within 2 seconds of each other.

If I wasn't an alchemist, I wouldn't waste my precious potions on a duel, but since I am, its a little easier :).

Also, being a warlock we have no healing abilities, so once we're hurting, we're dead. I need potions to have a chance :).

OMG what is it with you WoW players and this potion duel/PvP thing? Isnt there like a rule book for this stuff? Anyways it was a duel its not like you loss anything right? So whats the problem?

However there was a thread started up not to long ago about something of the same situation by another paladin. Use the search function and look up that thread I think it will help you in deciding for yourself if its ok or not. However the general consenus of that thread was that its ok to use potions.

I won't use potions if you don't use your sword :).

*Thinks back to the video of an unarmed pally defeating an armed warrior of equal level*

Nevermind :(

Shoot, i ain't wasting a potion on a duel, of course i'm a paladin so i really don't need too :).

I tend to think using potions during a duel is a big waste of money--but that's just me.

potions in duels are gay, its supposto be a "duel" not just "PK" diffrence is normaily a duel is that u dont use any pots, DOT (dammage over time; serpent sting, hunter skill with bow) and in pk theres no rules hey thats how it was in d2 and since its called a duel im assuming the same rules apply

Potions are fair game for all, as are pre-buffs and everything else allowed by the game. Im a weakling druid, so I need my buffs and potions just to live, esp Solo or PvP

I rarely have potions on me so no I don't use them. I really need to stock up on some though.

XeRo_Dark said:
potions in duels are gay, its supposto be a "duel" not just "PK" diffrence is normaily a duel is that u dont use any pots, DOT (dammage over time; serpent sting, hunter skill with bow) and in pk theres no rules hey thats how it was in d2 and since its called a duel im assuming the same rules apply

I don't understand your reasoning for not using potions in duels. Could I ask that you not use a weapon....or maybe not use your spells (if you're a caster). Then say its "Gay" if you do? Its a duel, and if you want to use a potion you can too. Its not unfair to pop one.

Are you also saying I shouldn't use my dots in a duel? I'm sorry if thats not what you meant, but reading your post isn't easy :p . Hi, I'm a warlock. Asking me not to use my dots is like asking a rogue not to use daggers.

Also, its a duel, why are you taking it so seriously. Its not like the outcome is that major.

potions are for pansies in duels.

But then again, dueling is stupid.. PvP is where its at.

Given that the duel outcome doesn't matter, do whatever. The OP is secure in the fact that in a no-potion or a potion-agreed duel he'd have won easily.

If, for whatever reason, a duel "matters" -- say a guild showdown -- just set the ground rules beforehand.

Would a healthstone count as a potion? Its a summoned item that warlocks create and insta-click heals for 500-750

General concensus for duels (same faction) is that you shouldn't use potions. Obviously cross faction pvp, you use everything you have..

But WHY? Noone has explained why I can't use a potion. Are you allowed to use engineer crafted stuff, like dynamite, that snare-net, ect?

Should I take off all my tailor made gear?

there is no reason why, other than to try and keep the duel focused more on skill then gear/potions. if someone arranges with me beforehand no potions, thats cool. if they dont, im gonna use my alchemy skill to the fullest.

Steel Chicken said:
there is no reason why, other than to try and keep the duel focused more on skill then gear/potions. if someone arranges with me beforehand no potions, thats cool. if they dont, im gonna use my alchemy skill to the fullest.

Exactly. Same here, if they say BEFORE hand "no potions" then fine. But if they scream at me afterwards like I'm supposed to know about this unwritten rule, then i'll say "lets duel again".

Not being allowed to use potions is about as stupid as not being allowed to pick up health packs in a first person shooter.

I find that the ones that always complain about this are the ones losing in the duels. Granted, I have not yet had to use a potion myself being a hunter.

If Blizzard intended for pots not to be used during dueling then they could have coded for the pots to be unfunctional after consenting to the duel.

My .02.

Wow, such mixed feelings about potions. I guess I started this post because I was under the impression that its a duel between 2 people and what they can do combat and magically wise, not how much money they have to buy potions with. Give anyone enough XXL supermega health potions and they can just about defeat anyone almost twice thier level. I guess that now that I realize that the majority (from this small sampling or responses) of people use pots, its time to go to the AH and buy a bunch of the biggest ones I can find before my next duel.

What if I'm an alchemist though?

And noone answered my question about engineers, and their items...

Should leatherworkers take off their gear that they made before dueling? How about tailors?

I STILL don't understand the reasoning here. Noone has made any kind of decent arguement against the use of potions.

Direwolf20 said:
What if I'm an alchemist though?

And noone answered my question about engineers, and their items...

Should leatherworkers take off their gear that they made before dueling? How about tailors?

I STILL don't understand the reasoning here. Noone has made any kind of decent arguement against the use of potions.

there is no decent argument. like i said, if someone wants to duel, and asks beforehand no potions im cool with it. but to ignore potions, because of the off chance someone might think its uncool? whatever. its part of the game, and my character.

i dont have the pallys "I WIN" button so i use whatevers available

:)

Steel Chicken said:
there is no decent argument. like i said, if someone wants to duel, and asks beforehand no potions im cool with it. but to ignore potions, because of the off chance someone might think its uncool? whatever. its part of the game, and my character.

i dont have the pallys "I WIN" button so i use whatevers available

:)

Ditto :). I'm a warlock, and while i have fear, its not the uber "I WIN" button that its made out to be by some wow messageboard posters. Especially with the diminishing returns and recently nerfed status. Plus, my dot (damage over TIME) spells are really what my class is about. Sure I have a couple DD spells, but the cast time is literally 5 seconds long and does maybe 250 damage at level 40. Good luck getting THAT off when fighting a rogue or something similiar. My class is all about surviving for a while so that my dots can hurt you. We have no healing spells, no stun spells. (Don't count life-drain as a heal spell, because it heals SO little, needs to be channeled, and does nearly NO damage to a player. If you use it in PVP combat you're dead).

yeah im looking into starting a new character, either priest, mage or warlock...but cant make my mind up....heh

warlocks and mages look fun, but ive heard the requirements (reageants, souldshards) etc for the fun spells are somewhat limiting

Steel Chicken said:
yeah im looking into starting a new character, either priest, mage or warlock...but cant make my mind up....heh

warlocks and mages look fun, but ive heard the requirements (reageants, souldshards) etc for the fun spells are somewhat limiting

Soulshards aren't that bad, but I'm used to them. At first, you only need the shards for a new pet and 1 item, but then you can summon more and more items. But by the time you need a bunch of shards on you, you've got more bagspace. I usually keep 1 (12 slots now) bag full of shards at all times. I have a shardcount mod that shows a small little number near my mini-map of the number of shards in my inventory, and a shardsort mod that moves all shards into the specified bag.

Shards are very important in PVP, because they can be used up really quick (especially if you get shadowburn, which is a talent spell, instacast damage that eats a shard). The troubling thing is you can't GET shards from PC players. So basically if you want pvp, you have to go farm shards for a while and keep a bunch on you, then go PVP and when you run out you're in major trouble.

Never played any other classes, so can't give any advice :).

I don't use them just because I don't care if I lose and I'm not going to waste the $$ for a potion. If you want to use one, go for it. If you win, bully for you.

Back