WOW coming to inux!

sc3252

Gawd
I just got an email from blizzard stating that they are going to release a client for Linux users in July of this year.
This message is going out to a select group of our subscribers only. In the coming days, the announcement will go public, but this is just for you guys for now.

On July 1, we will be releasing a Linux-based client for playing World of Warcraft. The problems we've seen in the past with using the Windows client on various things like WINE and Cedega and recent pressure from our customers have led us to conclude that a Linux client is something we need to make happen. It will not be open source, but there will be .rpms, .debs, and an installation script made available.

the rpms debs kinda screams "Aprils 1st" they are hte src packages

the rpms debs kinda screams "Aprils 1st" they are hte src packages
Err.....No. RPM is Red Hat's packaging system, DEB is Debian's (although most Debian users just use apt-get anyway). They can contain source files on occasion, but are used primarily for binary distribution. Most people who release source files just give tarballs.

I vaguely remember an april fools joke about Diablo 2 for linux as well.

Blizzard doesn't give a shit about linux. They won't sell any more copies by porting it, it will only allow more hacks for wow.

I vaguely remember an april fools joke about Diablo 2 for linux as well.

Blizzard doesn't give a shit about linux. They won't sell any more copies by porting it, it will only allow more hacks for wow.

Don't ruin my dreams damnit :p

I'm betting on the April Fools joke, but it is possible that they were serious. After all WOW is the largest, most successful MMORPG in the world today. With the amount of people they have using it there might actually be some sense in creating a Linux client since Blizzard has become an economy of scale.

i just got WoW working in Ubuntu 7.1 today with wine (and some tweaking) runs pretty well even. native support would rock.

I'm not all that familiar with either, but isn't Linux Unix based and so is Mac OSX. There is already an OSX client so seems like most of their leg work should already have been done.

yay, the 3rd native game that runs in linux. and only 4 years after the release of the game.

ROFL

Anyone who has paid attention to Blizzard in the past knows that they wouldn't send an email to a select group of subscribers just so they "know first." They're all about glorious announcements.

Of course the could do like EVE-Online did and just have cedega do it for them.

Back