WoW Classic 8/27. Beta is May 22–Thurs May 23

Classic Wow brings back so many memories. Downing Nef, too many ZG runs, Onyxia, good times. I was far younger living alone in a bachelor apartment and had so few responsibilities back when I was raiding. Now, with a wife and 2 kids I’m not sure I can find the time anymore ... wish I could it was a great game.

Classic Wow brings back so many memories. Downing Nef, too many ZG runs, Onyxia, good times. I was far younger living alone in a bachelor apartment and had so few responsibilities back when I was raiding. Now, with a wife and 2 kids I’m not sure I can find the time anymore ... wish I could it was a great game.

I'm in the same boat. It was absolutely fun in the day - but ... I did it already. We remember the fun, and don't so much remember the irritations. I suspect folks will shortly, and the initial surge will peter out to just a small group of semi-insane people.
It's there with EQ in my book. I had fun, made a lot of friends, but sweet lord was there a lot of really not-fun time too. In hindsight, the ratio wasn't really stellar.

In BC I think the fun ratio got a lot better. Still had hard stuff, but classes seemed a lot better off overall and many misery indexes were lowered. I guess everyone has their own ideal moment.

More invites went out today
World Of Warcraft Screenshot 2019.05.21 - 19.51.13.68.png

ughhhhhhh I want it. so bad. I bought the 15th year anniversary collectors edition but no damn beta invite.

I tried watching that asmongold guy. He has to have one of the most punchable faces. I blipped through his Deadmines run, and he's acting like he's competing a world chess competition or something. shit, when I first did Deadmines we didn't even a healer.
Welcome to the Deadmines, where the game is actually EZ Mode.

cant wait for launch. I really wish they would show numbers for the players though. I know why they wont/cant but still.

The more I find out about the launch and the roll out the more I loose interest. I thought they might use this as a way to fix their initial mistakes and release something that could surpass the classic. But instead they are just “faithfully” releasing the old stuff with all the glorious flaws and imbalances. This seems more and more like a “well you wanted it so FU and here it is” and less of a... I don’t know what.

The more I find out about the launch and the roll out the more I loose interest. I thought they might use this as a way to fix their initial mistakes and release something that could surpass the classic. But instead they are just “faithfully” releasing the old stuff with all the glorious flaws and imbalances. This seems more and more like a “well you wanted it so FU and here it is” and less of a... I don’t know what.

That was always their intention, if they modified it, it wouldn't be vanilla. Instead it would be vanilla *with sprinkles.

That was always their intention, if they modified it, it wouldn't be vanilla. Instead it would be vanilla *with sprinkles.
I know but I figured they would put some QoL updates in there fix the batch queuing system, the imbalanced hit boxes some are saying they even faithfully reproduced the holes in the floor and the inconsistency with magic missile.

I'd like to revisit old-school WoW, but I'm not willing to put that much time into it again. When you're younger, you feel like you have all the time in the world to fritter away; as you grow older, you become more aware that you have only a finite number of hours in a lifetime, and those precious hours shouldn't be wasted grinding in a game.

I know but I figured they would put some QoL updates in there fix the batch queuing system, the imbalanced hit boxes some are saying they even faithfully reproduced the holes in the floor and the inconsistency with magic missile.
The problem with starting to change ANYTHING is that it's a slippery slope. You begin going down that road and next thing you know there are druid buffs

I'd like to revisit old-school WoW, but I'm not willing to put that much time into it again. When you're younger, you feel like you have all the time in the world to fritter away; as you grow older, you become more aware that you have only a finite number of hours in a lifetime, and those precious hours shouldn't be wasted grinding in a game.

Is it really "grinding away" if you're having fun? I also don't have the time to do endgame nowadays, but I fully intend to play for a few months as time allows experiencing the awesome journey from 1-60, and at least experience the old 5-15 man instances again.

I was considering getting back in but after watching some of the streamer's clips I think I'll pass. All of them fawned over how immersive classic is and the journey is so much better, blah blah blah, 24 hrs later they're maxed @ 30 in world pvp looking like they've run out of red bull and pop tarts. Asmon is the worst of them, he's the kind of guy that proclaims how great and all knowing he is then goes and does something like lighting all the braziers in BFD and wiping everyone. Looks shocked that it happened while likely secretly happy that he'll get a meme out of it. If I played something like that today I'd probably just go around completing and exploring things I didn't get a chance to and then be done with it.

I was considering getting back in but after watching some of the streamer's clips I think I'll pass. All of them fawned over how immersive classic is and the journey is so much better, blah blah blah, 24 hrs later they're maxed @ 30 in world pvp looking like they've run out of red bull and pop tarts. Asmon is the worst of them, he's the kind of guy that proclaims how great and all knowing he is then goes and does something like lighting all the braziers in BFD and wiping everyone. Looks shocked that it happened while likely secretly happy that he'll get a meme out of it. If I played something like that today I'd probably just go around completing and exploring things I didn't get a chance to and then be done with it.
See I don’t get how it is any more or less immersive than any other iteration of WoW, it’s the same content the pace you set is up to you. I want to know what they plan to do long term, they have their 6 phases announced and planned but then what... after 6 they pack up and call it a day or so they keep going gradually releasing all the expansions all over again? Or do they release one every 8 weeks or so then after week 8 of phase 6 just reset everybody make some minor tweak and call it a “season”.

Last edited:
See I don’t get how it is any more or less immersive than any other iteration of WoW, it’s the same content the pace you set is up to you. I want to know what they plan to do long term, they have their 6 phases announced and planned but then what... after 6 they pack up and call it a day or so they keep going gradually releasing all the expansions all over again? Or do they release one every 8 weeks or so then after week 8 of phase 6 just reset everybody make m

Lm

.mme minor tweak and call it a “season”.
My only argument for more immersion is that you move so slowly. No mount till 40 makes you run everywhere, you actually see the zones, the mobs, the details that you miss by flying or blasting through on some crazy dragon thing. And not having all the quests marked on the map forces to explore. Sure you get less done, but you actually take in the game instead of mindlessly heading from point to point.

My only argument for more immersion is that you move so slowly. No mount till 40 makes you run everywhere, you actually see the zones, the mobs, the details that you miss by flying or blasting through on some crazy dragon thing. And not having all the quests marked on the map forces to explore. Sure you get less done, but you actually take in the game instead of mindlessly heading from point to point.
That is very true, it also makes things seem bigger.

If Blizz would commit to doing BC and Wrath if they maintained enough of a population I'd totally be in at that point. I think more people would actually be interested in that and not just a one and done with classic. Cata was where they really started to mess around with talents to a point it felt like things were being dumbed down for new players. The learning curve for each spec shrank and questing, as well as the storyline, became much more boring. At least with MoP the storyline was pretty damn good and the questing, done properly, led from zone to zone without the feeling something was missed. But Cata? Damn you could ignore half the new content and max out easy. I've heard pvp was good in Cata, but meh, outside a few bgs I never cared much for pvp.

I'd be okay with them re-releasing BC as well. My druid main used to be a restokin throughout Kara/Gruul/Maggy/TK but switched to full moonkin for MH and BT. My priest never reached max before BC came out so I never did current end-game Vanilla content with it and when I could get into original Naxx it was for tagging along with a raiding guild which farmed Naxx for the end boss trinket to make their Sunwell attempts easier. Needless to say, none of the set pieces were available for said tag-a-longs and due to the 40 person raid size was pretty nigh impossible to get any other raid drops anyway. (Still have fond memories of being a shadow priest 'tank' when I ran with tanks who couldn't manage aggro and ended up pulling an add or two off the tank and could kill the mob whilst managing to keep myself alive thanks to SPs being OP...) :ROFLMAO:

Wrath still exists, for the most part, in the current game whereas Vanilla and parts of BC don't. If they were to introduce achievements back to removed content for Vanilla it would sweeten the pot. Then again, I've gone from being a hardcore raid leader to a filthy casual so, even if I went back to Vanilla I'd probably end up wasting the experience. :mad:

Last night it was more or less impossible to get in to the server. But I also really didnt try that hard, just a few times. Got to run around a bit this morning tho. Feels just fine, as expected.
World Of Warcraft Screenshot 2019.05.23 - 07.06.58.25.png

Watched a handful of videos last night. Streamers talking about how they've played for 12, 16, 18 hours and how far they've gotten. I don't think I could find 18 hours in a month to play. Fifteen years ago, I could bang out 60h a week easy. Times have changed. I'm lucky to get an hour a night to play FC5 or get a few levels in Grim Dawn. Scheduling at least two nights a week around 39 other players schedules to raid MC? Not a chance.

There is a very different dynamic today with streamers that certainly will affect the way classic will be played.

Guilds are already being planned around personalities. Expect a certain amount of cult like behavior

No, retail wow is ez mode. Deadmines isn't a game mode it's just a dungeon. Herp Derp.
What I mean is don't expect DeadMines to represent how raiding or even dungeons work once you get to a higher level. You can get through DeadMines with a Paladin who tanks and heals, because it is literally that easy.

Watched a handful of videos last night. Streamers talking about how they've played for 12, 16, 18 hours and how far they've gotten. I don't think I could find 18 hours in a month to play. Fifteen years ago, I could bang out 60h a week easy. Times have changed. I'm lucky to get an hour a night to play FC5 or get a few levels in Grim Dawn. Scheduling at least two nights a week around 39 other players schedules to raid MC? Not a chance.

I'm in the same boat. I enjoyed playing WoW in the time I played. I didn't start playing until Lich King so I missed these supposed glory days of WoW. As curious as I am to see what I missed, I don't have near the free time that I used to have.

I'm in the same boat. I enjoyed playing WoW in the time I played. I didn't start playing until Lich King so I missed these supposed glory days of WoW. As curious as I am to see what I missed, I don't have near the free time that I used to have.
Eh. I started off in closed beta. We were all pretty much babes in the woods. Didn't know any better. Loot lag, disconnects, two hour long log in queues, bugs, falling through the ground, etc was a daily occurrence. It was better in some ways, but worse than others. The big killer was server transfers. Once that happened, the game was never the same. You could keep all the stuff that's in the game now, but remove name changes and server transfers, and it'd change the game enormously. There was a sense of community. Sense of accomplishment. Yep, we raided MC for three months in a row to get those shoulders that gave us four more mp/5 which equaled to something stupid like one extra heal every 100 casts. We knew everyone. Who to avoid. Who to join in with. Our schedules, play styles, alts, etc. It was a lot like a school setting back in middle school. We were all there, not sure of what we needed to be doing, but we were in it together just to see what happened.

At one point in my life I was minutes away from server first on Arthas for leveling with an expansion. Now I am lucky to have played all the dungeons before the next expansion comes out lol

I have a feeling people forgot how much harder classic was. And coming from EverQuest it was easy, but compared to current wow people are in for a surprise.
Yea it was an improvement from UO, EQ, FFXI but alot of people forget what it was actually like.

Last night it was more or less impossible to get in to the server. But I also really didnt try that hard, just a few times. Got to run around a bit this morning tho. Feels just fine, as expected. View attachment 162720

I was able to get in.. but once you’re in you realize there’s not much you can do. The human starting area had literally 100s of people all fighting over the classic long spawn times of wolves and kobalds. It was still cool to see some of the features. The opening cinematic and music are worth logging in to enjoy. I liked how in settings there’s a classic button you can hit to make to crank the graphics down to what they used to be. Good stuff so far, I’m excited.

Reactions: Auer
like this
I was able to get in.. but once you’re in you realize there’s not much you can do. The human starting area had literally 100s of people all fighting over the classic long spawn times of wolves and kobalds. It was still cool to see some of the features. The opening cinematic and music are worth logging in to enjoy. I liked how in settings there’s a classic button you can hit to make to crank the graphics down to what they used to be. Good stuff so far, I’m excited.

It's nice they let you go lo fi on the graphics but original WoW graphics are showing their age to the point I'll be using the newer ones....

I loved original WOW but some of the best aspects of it in my opinion were the dungeons and not the raids. Blizzard had put a lot of effort into these but they went by the wayside once the raids were made more accessible and people were racing to max level for them. The first dungeons Wailing Caverns and BFD were way underutilized (at least on Alliance) because most of the Alliance was in the Eastern Kingdoms rather than Kalimdor so only did Deadmines and Stockade. The same can probably be said for Razorfen Kraul & Downs -- most people opted for Gnomeregan and Scarlet Monastery. Zul_Farrak and Maraudon were neglected in favor of Uldaman & Temple of Atal'Hakkar. Dire Maul (probably the best dungeon in vanilla Wow) was completely neglected because of Blackrock Depths, and upper/lower Blackrock Spire; the only reason people seemed to do DM was to help the mages get the better water. Nobody wanted to travel to do these instances or the itemization for certain classes was bad. The summoning stones were an attempted fix for it but kind of eliminated the need for a warlock. Mages had better CC, water, and portal which usually trumped the soul stone.

Speaking of itemization, it was horrible in vanilla WOW for certain classes. Blizzard wanted mages to go for int/spi gear so quest rewards and sets reflected this; Warlocks were meant to use int/sta gear. Spirit turned out to be a wasted stat so mages found the warlock gear more effective than their own (especially for PVP). Both classes needed +damage when it was introduced so that setup a situation for conflict. Blizzard seemed to make this worse when they made their +damage gear also +healing/damage so setup conflicts with the priests for both classes. And then there was the occasional paladin that wanted to roll on the same gear as the cloth wearers for healing or the balance druids . There was also the fact that Shaman and Paladin classes were faction specific but yet the gear drops were not. It was really a mess so there are plenty of areas of improvement for this remake rather than introducing the same issues.

I loved original WOW but some of the best aspects of it in my opinion were the dungeons and not the raids. Blizzard had put a lot of effort into these but they went by the wayside once the raids were made more accessible and people were racing to max level for them. The first dungeons Wailing Caverns and BFD were way underutilized (at least on Alliance) because most of the Alliance was in the Eastern Kingdoms rather than Kalimdor so only did Deadmines and Stockade. The same can probably be said for Razorfen Kraul & Downs -- most people opted for Gnomeregan and Scarlet Monastery. Zul_Farrak and Maraudon were neglected in favor of Uldaman & Temple of Atal'Hakkar. Dire Maul (probably the best dungeon in vanilla Wow) was completely neglected because of Blackrock Depths, and upper/lower Blackrock Spire; the only reason people seemed to do DM was to help the mages get the better water. Nobody wanted to travel to do these instances or the itemization for certain classes was bad. The summoning stones were an attempted fix for it but kind of eliminated the need for a warlock. Mages had better CC, water, and portal which usually trumped the soul stone.

Speaking of itemization, it was horrible in vanilla WOW for certain classes. Blizzard wanted mages to go for int/spi gear so quest rewards and sets reflected this; Warlocks were meant to use int/sta gear. Spirit turned out to be a wasted stat so mages found the warlock gear more effective than their own (especially for PVP). Both classes needed +damage when it was introduced so that setup a situation for conflict. Blizzard seemed to make this worse when they made their +damage gear also +healing/damage so setup conflicts with the priests for both classes. And then there was the occasional paladin that wanted to roll on the same gear as the cloth wearers for healing or the balance druids . There was also the fact that Shaman and Paladin classes were faction specific but yet the gear drops were not. It was really a mess so there are plenty of areas of improvement for this remake rather than introducing the same issues.
I had hoped they would do this as well but no..... they are being true to the original and they will fix those issues as they update their phases as time goes on....

I remember when the different classes had their own Blizzard representative to advocate changes on their behalf. There were lots of changes being proposed for balancing and quality of life issues. Almost every class was improved for the better and the mages finally got their major revision -- it was the level 60 water and a shiny new mage armor icon if I'm remembering it right. None of the issues being complained about were addressed and it seemed to be a complete slap in the face because one of the major complaints was that they were in the game merely for portal and beverage service. I guess I'm still jaded over that. Hopefully they at least fixed blink so that it wouldn't let you fall through the world, not move you at all, or propel you an inch before a dandelion stopped you or something.

A rework of primary stats like spirit to include a +damage/healing component could have made the game so much better with respect to itemization. I guess if people want the same game experience as before then they are going to get it.

I had hoped they would do this as well but no..... they are being true to the original and they will fix those issues as they update their phases as time goes on....

Back