WoW: Cataclsym, anyone else bored and not feeling it ?

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 has been a much more fulfilling game for myself and is much more flexible with my schedule (obviously). Currently play that when I find time and am eagerly awaiting the release of Battlefield 3.

That's kind the boat I am in. Played since vanilla, got Commander rank at 49 when we used to faceroll ppl on WSG/AB on a daily basis, with most horde who saw our group going naked and /dance'ing. Did raiding but as soon as I had a wife, kids, this that, I just didn't have time anymore. BFBC2, I can jump in, have fun, *naggin' starts,* jump off and get whatever I need to get done, done :D

All I'm seeing here is that you are tired of playing WoW, and that's fine. No one is forcing you to pay $14.95 a month to be bored. Geez, just stop playing, it's that simple.

Something makes you bored, so if you have the power to correct it, like in this case to stop playing it.. then stop!

Done, move on!

I can understand it all, I played WoW since day and I stopped playing it for months on end. Heck I just came back after a 4 month hiatus. Am I enjoying it? Yes. Is it all I play? Hell no. And I even have a wife, 2 kids and a mutt....... (that damned mutt).

Last edited:
All I'm seeing here is that you don't are tired of playing WoW, and that's fine. No one is forcing you to pay $14.95 a month to be bored. Geez, just stop playing, it's that simple.

Something makes you bored, so if you have the power to correct it, like in this case to stop playing it.. then stop!

Done, move on!

Yeah it's more than that though. I like the changes that WoW done, I thought Cataclysm was a much better expansion as far as new ideas, and content they put in. Just the 3 dimensional immersion of Vashj'ir is worth it IMO, For me it's a bit of lamenting and dunno, just a bit of venting I guess :D

I got in spurts. Once I get to level cap it's the same formula for each expansion so I take a break from the game for a month or two. No point in grinding out currencies for gear unless you want to raid because eventually the top tier gear will be available to all casual players.

While waiting for that day to arrive, I usually level new characters. I really enjoy running through the dungeons and leveling and am saddened how much easier it has become but thankfully they allow experience to be turned off now so I can enjoy the moment.

I am the first to admit that gameplay is #1 over graphics, especially for a good RPG MMO.

But WTF, you have got to also admit that WoW is looking really dated, and to me I just can't take anymore of these piss poor character models in the year 2011. I just imagine how much bad ass WoW would be with a refreshed game engine, I am not looking for Cyrsis 2 graphics at all, but please stop with these Quake 2 models form the 90's :rolleyes: They need a MAJOR upgrade.

Here is a screen shot from the upcoming 4.2 patch. This is not due out until the future, and it looks like from the past :rolleyes:

dragonwrath3.jpg

Problem is, if they upgrade the graphics they will likely only lose customers, as opposed to gaining any.

Problem is, if they upgrade the graphics they will likely only lose customers, as opposed to gaining any.

I doubt that. I am not looking for Direct11 graphics from the RAGE engine, but something from the 21st century at least, not these 90's graphics.

Look at the floor and wall textures in the screenshot, looks so low res and like mud.

Isn't that what graphic options and various settings are for? I am really quite sick of Blizzard's excuses as to why they won't do a real graphics overhaul. Plus, notice how new races and such get higher res, much more detailed models, while the original races haven't been touched? As many billions as they have raked in from this game they could really invest more in the art department.

My wife recently started playing again and is trying to get me to re-sub, but really this game looks like shit. And yes Zorachus, those wall and floor textures look like mud indeed. I played from launch until January of this year, and those have never changed. It's a good game and I have had some great times playing it, but I really can't look at it anymore.

I doubt that. I am not looking for Direct11 graphics from the RAGE engine, but something from the 21st century at least, not these 90's graphics.

Look at the floor and wall textures in the screenshot, looks so low res and like mud.

Heres the reality of things though, people are not going to run out and buy wow just because it got a graphical overhaul. They WILL lose people, one of the main reasons wow is so successful is that it runs on even the shittiest hardware.

IMO the stupidest thing modern MMOs are doing is trying to push the graphics. Its not like a 20 hour single player campaign where you marvel at the graphics the whole time. After the first month in an MMO the graphics stop mattering and it all comes back to gameplay and content.

Isn't that what graphic options and various settings are for? I am really quite sick of Blizzard's excuses as to why they won't do a real graphics overhaul. Plus, notice how new races and such get higher res, much more detailed models, while the original races haven't been touched? As many billions as they have raked in from this game they could really invest more in the art department.

My wife recently started playing again and is trying to get me to re-sub, but really this game looks like shit. And yes Zorachus, those wall and floor textures look like mud indeed. I played from launch until January of this year, and those have never changed. It's a good game and I have had some great times playing it, but I really can't look at it anymore.

You cant just do a complete overhaul like you think and keep the low settings as they exist now without maintaining 2 different versions of the client.

If you get hung up on graphics in an MMO you probably shouldnt be playing an MMO to begin with.

Im with these guys on that one. WoW's greatest advantage to me at least is that its easy on the eyes, its mostly earthtone, and you can play for hours on end without getting motion sick or nauseated.

Im with these guys on that one. WoW's greatest advantage to me at least is that its easy on the eyes, its mostly earthtone, and you can play for hours on end without getting motion sick or nauseated.
It's not true, day to day staring to screen in general will suck all energy from your body and will make you feel like you just got hit by train. Believe me...

As I wrote to another thread last week I also quit wow, not strictly because of content, but it lost its fun. Before players were enjoying with each other and had a fun playing together and playing a game. But on some servers and so on, you were surrounded by elitists and retards screaming on you through VT like if something really would happened. Although I miss the good wow times sometimes, quitting after 3.5 years of playing was the best move I could do.

Although I miss the good wow times sometimes, quitting after 3.5 years of playing was the best move I could do.

A toast to you sir. This is the most common sentiment that I see about Warcraft. To sum it up "It was fun in the old days". Perhaps it's just run it's course?

It depends, looking back i had some really epic moments back in the day. But I have also had some really nice heroic kills recently as well. I really like how if you have the right people you can do the hardest content in the game and still only play twice a week.

A toast to you sir. This is the most common sentiment that I see about Warcraft. To sum it up "It was fun in the old days". Perhaps it's just run it's course?
Well that's obvious because when you were doing something before, you had to enjoy it or had some reason to do it. Once you lose your interest, you quit doing thing, but you gonna remember it back in the day, WoW is no exception. Prior to cata I been many times in every single instance, had 4x80, around 300 days played time, played on 6 servers and so on, played PVP, RP, PVE etc I achieved all aspects in the game, where I found myself to be locked in its weird stereotype where you just did same thing all around. I expected cata to introduce higher AI of bosses and mobs and so on. But the fights were completely identical, no difference. What they made it harder by, are nerfed stats, but that's not about it. Even it is never ending game, it's time to wake up and ding to next level. Full T11 wont make you happy.

What they made it harder by, are nerfed stats, but that's not about it. Even it is never ending game, it's time to wake up and ding to next level. Full T11 wont make you happy.

Nerfed stats and tedium. Making everything take longer to create the illusion of difficulty.

When i first heard about the cata changes i was also expecting more engaging boss fights that required thought. Instead what we got was constant filler in the form of trash pulls.

When 90% of the difficulty in an instance comes from boring and unrewarding trash pulls then you know the devs just got lazy.

I never made it to Cataclysm. I started playing WoW on day 1 and I played at a high level for a good 5 years before calling it a day when my guild of 3 years disbanded. I hadn't enjoyed the game for about a year but I stayed for the guild and the social aspect but without a guild there was no point. I actually just looked over my old posts and found one I made about 4 years ago and it reminded me how much I enjoyed WoW at one point. I tried the Cataclysm 10 day trial and everything is just so different now.

Nerfed stats and tedium. Making everything take longer to create the illusion of difficulty.

When i first heard about the cata changes i was also expecting more engaging boss fights that required thought. Instead what we got was constant filler in the form of trash pulls.

When 90% of the difficulty in an instance comes from boring and unrewarding trash pulls then you know the devs just got lazy.
Blizzard doesn't care about 5-mans. The current raids have very little trash. BWD has like, what, 15 trash mobs total? BoT kinda has a lot. To4W has absolutely no trash whatsoever.

I personally enjoy the boss fights and feel that they are very engaging; I especially love ODS because they throw a retard-check at raiders right at the second boss instead of later on in the instance, therefore weeding out those who don't deserve to be there.

Blizzard doesn't care about 5-mans. The current raids have very little trash. BWD has like, what, 15 trash mobs total? BoT kinda has a lot. To4W has absolutely no trash whatsoever.

I personally enjoy the boss fights and feel that they are very engaging; I especially love ODS because they throw a retard-check at raiders right at the second boss instead of later on in the instance, therefore weeding out those who don't deserve to be there.

Thing is to do the raids you need to either have a guild carry you or work your ass through those 5 mans and its just not worth it to me.

Thing is to do the raids you need to either have a guild carry you or work your ass through those 5 mans and its just not worth it to me.
I understand and respect that. Throughout most of WotLK I was pretty casual and only played solo for an hour or two a day. Raiding just isn't for everyone.

Fact of the matter is, though, that WoW is always a PvE-centric game with raiding at its core and that's where they invest most of their resources. Unfortunately some other areas of the game get shafted in the process, but I don't blame Blizzard.

Keep in mind that the current 5-mans have been nerfed significantly since the release of Cataclysm. In the first few weeks of the expansion's release, people were complaining left and right on the forums that 5-mans are too tough. Now you have different people saying that they're too easy. The new ZA/ZG 5-mans will eventually be nerfed, I guarantee you.

There's no way to please everyone.

I honestly WANT to play WoW again, I really do. However, the game lost most of it's magic with Wrath, and I only stuck with it because so many of my RL friends played it was impossible not to. At first, I loved the changes they made in Cata. Doing heroics in Cata was wonderful at first, because it brought back that old challenge I remember about heroics and raiding in BC. Not like the snorefest that was WotLK. I liked healing A LOT in Cata, until I got gear. Then it pretty much just degraded back into Wrath, and that just isn't fun for me.

Unfortunately, I doubt I will ever find another game that will be like what WoW was for me, because the way me and my friends played honestly put it on such a high pedestal that in my head, nothing can EVER top it. It was certainly never a perfect game, but the memories we all still talk about from time to time playing it as a group, starting with our run from UC to Westfall (when I was only level 15, now that was a hell of an adventure!) to downing every boss in the game together (HM and not), we lived it.

Bleh, nostalgia is a bitch.

I don't raid or do dungeons I just pvp. 1/2 the time my guild will just goto Tol'Barad or a daily hub zone and just camp anyone we see. Its alot of fun because you make a game inside a game. The other faction always cries on the forums and their trade chat about us.

Sadly in Classic/tbc this would be considered normal world pvp. Now of days people dont want to bother other people and just do dailys and complain about being bored all day.

I'm semi-contemplating going back to my roots and making an undead lock' so I can experience the new Forsaken starting area. No heirlooms, just old school play. Gotta go kill me some Rattlebones.

I don't raid or do dungeons I just pvp. 1/2 the time my guild will just goto Tol'Barad or a daily hub zone and just camp anyone we see. Its alot of fun because you make a game inside a game. The other faction always cries on the forums and their trade chat about us.

Sadly in Classic/tbc this would be considered normal world pvp. Now of days people dont want to bother other people and just do dailys and complain about being bored all day.

And this is one of the reasons I really want to play WoW again. But the game I remember playing doesn't exist anymore :(

I kinda like the challenge of the recycled ZG and ZA, but they are a disaster with PuGs. Only managed to complete it last week-end with a guild group.

Some people just need to try new things. I've gone off and played many a new game. I always seem to come back to WoW for the gameplay and friends.

As an example, BFBC2 was grand... until the hackers became ridiculous in numbers and the limited number of maps they put out got boring. Also the C2D was annoying as fuck.

You think WoW trade chat is bad until you sit in the BFBC2 chat for a few minutes.

Of course there are different circumstances for some. If you play WoW every night for 8-10 hours, then yeah... I'd be happy you quit. That's not healthy. But the way me and my friends and wife play, it's less of a waste then watching TV and much more engaging.

Full Disclosure:
I met my wife in WoW and we still play WoW together.

Stopped raiding recently, will try some casual PvP and if that don't work out i'll be canceling.

I canceled my account once I had to start doing 12+ wins in arena a week just to cap points.

We likely have a small guild of RL friends quitting again. We tried to do the Arena scene, but it's just ridiculous. Constantly pvp "balancing" requires having to constantly level and gear new classes, because a patch will destroy a comp or class overnight. It's not fun spending months leveling and equipping another character.

We had hopes for Cata providing fun pvp, but rated bgs are just garbage. They just aren't accessible. My realm has a good population, but there are very few groups that run them, none recruiting. No, I'm not going to pay $$ for each character to be moved, we've been on our server since WoW launched.

I canceled my account once I had to start doing 12+ wins in arena a week just to cap points.

If you want points you do 10 games and 10 games only. The only reason to do more is to raise your rating.

We likely have a small guild of RL friends quitting again. We tried to do the Arena scene, but it's just ridiculous. Constantly pvp "balancing" requires having to constantly level and gear new classes, because a patch will destroy a comp or class overnight. It's not fun spending months leveling and equipping another character.

We had hopes for Cata providing fun pvp, but rated bgs are just garbage. They just aren't accessible. My realm has a good population, but there are very few groups that run them, none recruiting. No, I'm not going to pay $$ for each character to be moved, we've been on our server since WoW launched.

This is pretty much why I quit. Was having fun in 2s and 3s with a 2kish rating until a patch came out and completely destroyed my comps.

But.. I may start playing during the summer again, just as a casual. I miss my guildmates. :(

If you want points you do 10 games and 10 games only. The only reason to do more is to raise your rating.

I do believe you aren't familiar with conquest point change made in 4.1. You only get 180 points per win now. That is for everybody, a higher rating doesn't change how much you get per win now.

They originally had it at 130 or 135 per win until they hotfixed it. Pretty lame that the conquest point change was done without announcement.

I do believe you aren't familiar with conquest point change made in 4.1. You only get 180 points per win now. That is for everybody, a higher rating doesn't change how much you get per win now.

They originally had it at 130 or 135 per win until they hotfixed it. Pretty lame that the conquest point change was done without announcement.

Oh damn that would have made arenas much more attractive to me!

I really like all the changes Cataclysm brought about. Wrath was way too easy and strayed very very far from what the original game was like. However at the same time I feel inundated with content that I really don't care about, and I just don't have time to play a billion heroics. I ended up quitting, but this was the easiest WoW quit ever... I didn't find myself playing too much, I just realized one day that I was playing less and less, and at one point it dawned on me that I hadn't logged in for 3 weeks, so I cancelled before I got billed for another month.

I want to get back into it and play casually, but the amount of work I have to put in is insane. I guess Wrath was EZ-mode, but I played in vanilla too and that had a good balance of difficulty vs reward.

And this is one of the reasons I really want to play WoW again. But the game I remember playing doesn't exist anymore :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dQmYnf1WLU - here's some older WoW for you... the guy playing has such terrible internet that it disconnects at the end (I know him).

He had to explain to me what was going on, but he said that WoW players would be able to figure it out.

Is this considered a good world PVP scene? I've seen him take on more in the past.

Is this part of the game still alive and well?

Back