WoW: Cataclsym, anyone else bored and not feeling it ?

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
I have been playing WoW since launch November 2004. My brothers and I always being very casual players. Didn't hit Level 60 until right before TBC came out, but had like 8 Level 40-50 character before that. Hit Level 70 right before Wrath came out. We take our time, leveling all alts at the same time, and our busy married guys, with kids, careers, etc...

Wrath was the first time I really got deep into WoW, getting to 80 rather quick, and finally started to Raid, and get full Tier geared out. I got serious with the patch that included ICC, and ran that Raid non stop every week. Was able to gear up all my alts very fast and easily with some kick ass items, and was in a fun Guild, just having a great time, running ICC and RS, etc...dying and looking forward to Cataclysm being on the way.

Cataclysm has now been out close to 2 months, and I haven't logged in in about 10 days, totally bored and burned out on WoW, Cat did not grab me like I expected it would, game feels alien to me, and not as interesting now. Was crazy happy with Cat the first couple of weeks, just exploring the new content, and revised old world, flying all over was awesome, but the newness seemed to fade rather quick for me. To get full Tier 11 gear will take forever, I just don't have it in me to run 10 million Heroic dungeons ( that take much longer to run than Wrath Heroics did ) for the Valor Points, and then the very difficult Raids to get more Valor points and i359 item drops. I think I got too used to the end of Wrath and gearing up so easily.

And the new Level 80+ zones are super solo easy, no point in needing friends to quest, it feels like a single player game from Level 81 - 85, I want to play an MMO, where I need my buddies to explore and run quests together. And the new dungeons are cool, but get boring rather fast, after several runs. And then the new Raids, look cool, but are super crazy tough to PUG, and most Guilds even have a tough time getting through them with just blue gear.

In my 6 years playing WOW, I have never taking time off a brand new expansion. When TBC came out, I was playing every day, or at least 5 days a week for months, and Wrath I played just as much if not more than TBC, 7 days a week right at launch for a several months. With Cataclysm being just 6 weeks old, I have not played for 10 days now, and couldn't care less.

Last edited:
I don't know, I have been contemplating going back to WoW its been pretty much exactly 4 years since I subbed and I wasn't that crazy of a WoW player. As an MMO how is WoW now? Worth the 80 something for me to get back into the game?

I don't know, I have been contemplating going back to WoW its been pretty much exactly 4 years since I subbed and I wasn't that crazy of a WoW player. As an MMO how is WoW now? Worth the 80 something for me to get back into the game?

What level is your character left at ? Did you play TBC ? Levels 70 - 80 through Northrend are a long haul, need a ton of XP to level up. Outland was cool, Levels 58-68 I really liked.

I just say wait for the better MMO's due out later this year, they should be more fun, and fresh compared to WoW. SW:ToR and GW 2

I just say wait for the better MMO's due out later this year, they should be more fun, and fresh compared to WoW. SW:ToR and GW 2

Well if he hasn't played WoW in 4 years, then it will be really fresh for him (tons and tons of new stuff since then.)

If you are really looking for an MMO right now I would go for it. There is so much content in the game at this point it's just ludicrous. It will be a looooong time before you get bored (unless you just don't like the game period.)

Also, I'm really enjoying Cataclysm, my one big complaint is that the questing is way, way, WAY too easy like the OP mentioned. I swear my 11 year old niece would think it was easy, and I'm not joking. Other than that, it's great and definitely breathed some new life into WoW.

Honestly and I am not knocking you for this, but it just sounds like you want to get good gear quick and easy like you could in WOTLK.

It was ridiculous how easy getting high end gear was in LK. There were people with fresh 80s a day later in full tier gear already.

Personally for me, the only reason my sub is going still is cause I have a lot of gold left I am selling still. I have no desire to raid anymore, and pvp in the game is a joke and has been for a long long time. Soon as I'm done unloading the rest of my few hundred K of gold left I'm gone I think.

Cata has a lot of new shinyness but in the end it is just meh cause the new shinyness is a ton of old stuff with basically.

I deactivated my account last week. It is boring and has become repetitive far to much for me to handle.

The exact same thing happened to me with Wrath. I used to play TBC a lot, but when Wrath came out I found that I just couldn't be bothered to play anymore. My main stayed at 70, doing a handful of quests here and there but that's it. A friend talked me into leveling a death knight with him, so we did that but I even left that at 73. Kept the subscription alive for a couple of months but I realized that I wasn't playing at all so there was no point anymore. Canceled my sub and I haven't been back to WoW in about 2 years now. I have a certain academic interest in Cataclysm but I realized that I'm done with with the game, so buying it and trying again would probably end in the same result as Wrath... me not even playing past the first couple of zones.

I think it can and does happen to everyone. You had a good run with the game, hundreds or thousands of hours spent playing and enjoying with friends. Time to move on now I reckon.

I have to agree with others here , you've been spoiled by Wotlk. Wotlk runied WoW for me because it made raiding a joke and (no offense) it made every tom , dick and harry able to fully tier out in a fraction of the time previously. The challenge was completely taken away , part of what makes raiding so fun was earning through hard work some of the rarer pieces of raiding gear. But in Wotlk all you had to do was pug groups with random people who through sheer luck could managed to come together long enough not to have someone fuck it all up and wipe everyone.

Simply put Cata adds back in *some* of the difficulty that was previous to WoW raiding. Its still not as hard as it was pre-wotlk patching in TBC but now you have to be organized enough to get shit done and getting high tier raiding gear takes time again.

I can understand why you loved the appeal of casual raiding but Blizzard tailoring the game completely to casual raiders turned off a lot of people. Subs didn't show this but the forum bitching sure did. It seems they listened to an extent. I'm sure though over time Blizzard will dumb down the raids enough as they always end up doing that you'll be able to farm Valor points and gather gear again without issue.

Everyone makes good points, I think I got too used to the Wrath style of end game, that Cataclysm is so different it feels alien to me. I don't have the time to invest Raiding 24/7 to get fully Tier'ed out, I liked the idea of people having real lives outside of WoW, could still Raid and get good gear casually. I agree hardcore players should get the "BiS" gear, and the top weapons, but was nice that casuals could at least come close in gear.

But it's not just the end game, even leveling up I felt like I had to punch into the time clock and go to work, it felt like a job, and not fun anymore, just solo questing, no need for groups anymore in quests. And the graphics are getting very dated, I know gameplay over graphics any day of course, but still this game is getting long in the tooth. I play it at Ultra maxed settings, 8xAA, but getting bored with the old character models, and some zones look pretty poor.

Oh well, I will take time off until Patch 4.1 release, see how it is then.

Considering that you used to log in daily during TBC and not now, it sounds like pure burnout from the game. Objectively speaking, TBC is pretty much the worst expac in terms of the breadth of content available to the masses. I found leveling fun and adventurous in Cata as opposed to the earlier styles. Heroic dungeons are just great, though a little on the easy side. But I can understand that Blizzard sort of alienated the casual raiding players.

Sounds like you liked EZ mode Wrath. Nothing wrong with that, played since launch and quite after ICC came out, WOW was just too easy. From what I have been reading Cata is trying to back to the original ways, sounds good but I dont want to get hooked on that again

I was a hardcore raider in Vanilla and TBC.

I'm just playing wow again because there is nothing else to really play right now that can compare. When SWTOR comes out, ill be gone from WoW forever hopefully. There's really not a whole lot to do once you get 85 anymore. PvP gear is way to easy to get, heroics are waaaaay to long if you get a bad group. No point in really even leaving Orgimmar after 85 since you can just teleport to anywhere. Arenas are a joke atm since a few classes are much better than others. I'm still playing wow , but I usually play bfbc2 a lot also.

I just "got rid of" my account due to me being bored with it, it's so damned easy now. Within one week of Cata release I had 2 85s raiding heroics, and that was playing casually after I finished my school work. I really need a new MMO that has a difficulty level of " I want to throw my keyboard at my monitor" but I've yet to find one. Maybe I'll resub to EQ2 and see what's been going on after all these years.

Ya I was not at all enthused with Cata and let my subscription lapse. The quests were good but I really didn't enjoy it past that. I don't care for the new instances that much and I really don't care for the "If you make a mistake everyone wipes, but if you don't they are cake," heroics.

I don't hate Cata, but it didn't do it for me, so I'm taking a WoW break. Maybe I'll come back, maybe I won't. I've taken breaks form WoW before when I got bored and after leaving it for a few months, I enjoyed it again, but Cata just failed to impress.

I'm trying Rift out (still in beta) to see how that goes. So far it is neat. Certainly nothing revolutionary, you can see heavy influence from WoW, EQ2 and Warhammer, but it seems to be well done.

I quit about 2 weeks ago for good. Deleted the gear on all but one of my toons and deleted the toons (yes I know they can be recovered but anywho). I took my measly 24k gold and just ended up sending it via mail to a RL friend who was playing with his GF but couldn't afford epic flying.

I just kept my lvl 85 rogue around because he was my truly "main" toon and I had a lot of good times with it.

Within one week of Cata release I had 2 85s raiding heroics, and that was playing casually after I finished my school work.

Do you actually mean raiding heroics or "raiding" heroic dungeons? Huge difference there. All of the heroic raid bosses were barely cleared a few days ago by different guilds and no guild has killed all the bosses on their own (but it's getting there).

I quit about 2 weeks ago for good. Deleted the gear on all but one of my toons and deleted the toons (yes I know they can be recovered but anywho). I took my measly 24k gold and just ended up sending it via mail to a RL friend who was playing with his GF but couldn't afford epic flying.

I just kept my lvl 85 rogue around because he was my truly "main" toon and I had a lot of good times with it.

Should have went all or nothing. You'll resub in a few months and file for character restorations. If you don't want to play you should simply unsubscribe, no point in trying to destroy your characters. If you really truly wanted to quit you would have deleted your "main" as well and had the account sold off or shut down. What you just did right now is petty and just puts more work on the GM's in charge of restorations.

So far Ive been enjoying the pvp, but the 40+min que's for pve turns me right off. Im afraid once I've finished gearing up pvp wise it will be pretty boring, right now pvp is still fun thanks to a good casual pvp guild im in. Get my pvp 2h on tues when conquest cap resets lol. Doing the same few bg's and arenas are alot better when you do them with people you know lol

I don't play hard core like I used to in the early WotLK, but there is still tons of stuff for me to venture and do. Most of the responces in this thread seem to be from people who are burned out by it. That happens, its ok, it happens with every MMO. I still find it entertaining and find it fun to gear up and level alts and collect gold still.

To the OP - I'll be trying out a few MMO's this year, but I don't think any will truly take out WoW for me.

I don't think this expansion is watered down at all, I just see it as different delivery of content.

Burning Crusades - HUGE bottleneck up front. The entry into raiding is a hard grind of a 10 man dungeon. This tore up guilds who couldn't hold together 3-4 teams of Kara raiders. That stunted raiding post Kara too because your guild was so small at that point that you couldn't start 25 mans. Raids were hard and content came in spurts. This wasn't a very good expansion for casuals.

Wrath of the Lich King - They had SO much content up front that people burned out quick. Every patch made getting previously hard earned gear even easier. They might as well just sold it for gold come the last patch. Blizz nerfed every encounter to the ground to the point where guys in my guild were killing LK in leveling greens as soon as they hit 80. This was THE expansion for the casual player. You think your hardcore? Show me your Kael or Illidan kill achievement before the last patch.

Cata - Not a TON from 80-85, but it is VERY enjoyable. Instead of trickling new content, they will come out with new bigger content patches to make the expansion last a little longer instead of burning people out early. The entire game pre level 60 was overhauled also. Blizzard really wants you to go through Azeroth again starting at level 1. I don't think its too far fetched to say that 90% of the new content this expansion happens before you set foot in outlands.

Last edited:
Yeah, another thing worth mentioning is that there will probably be more new 5-man dungeons that go along with content patches. There wasn't a whole lot to start off with in Cata, but perhaps there will always be a new dungeon that will offer some extra challenge when gear trickles down over time. Not looking forward to seeing healers/tanks insta-leaving these new dungeons though (like H HoR).

I played two new 85's worth of new content. Then played the tip of the iceberg on the end-game content.

Put in about 250 hours post-cataclysm, then quit.
I just can't seem to play like I did before. (Did all end-game back through all of BC and got Gladiator and such).
I am happy to say though, Blizzard got questing right this time around. =)

I've been playing since open beta, and quit the game twice, both times for about a year. I just recently returned about a month ago, started levelling up my 80 priest and dk for heals and tanking and rerolled a mage worgen from scratch to cover dps. I'll be using this trinity of options when I start raiding and/or dungeoning at 85, depending on what's needed. At the moment I'm still having fun just levelling, and sure it is way easier, but it also takes alot of the grind out of the equation. Which is what killed the game for me in its earlier incarnations. Damn rep grinds. Dunno if I'll stick with it, I'm paid up to March so I have until then to decide. There's at least two more expansions coming for WoW, though. So even if you're burned out on it now, chances are good you'll revisit it in the future, and it'll be a whole different game yet again. So far they haven't totally jumped the shark and with the ten million or so playing it'll likely remain the mmorpg of choice for years to come. So, if you can't beat em, join em.

Wait. Do you mean to say they finally made SOMETHING in WoW that is more difficult than picking your own nose?

Wow, WoW might finally be worth playing.... NOT.

But it sounds like a start at least.

Just how many threads/posts do you have bitching about WoW Zorachus? Just stop playing!

I miss vanilla WoW. When you had tier 3 people knew you deserved it. It wasn't just handed out and the bosses were not loot piñatas.

As a casual player perspective, Cata is much harder than wrath was.
I've played since launch with breaks here and there and Cata is still cool (so far).

I've leveled my main to 85, ran all dungeons to be ready for heroics and then BAM.

Haven't really progressed after that, no heroics gear or anything.

Started a new guy to enjoy the new zones (which are now awesome).

The one thing I missed while leveling in Cata is epic encounters you had back in Vanilla, I mean back then Hogger was HARD.

Now every elite mobs you find have a mechanism that let you solo him like a normal guy (why even bother making him elite?!?)

I miss vanilla WoW. When you had tier 3 people knew you deserved it. It wasn't just handed out and the bosses were not loot piñatas.

Thats pretty much what cataclysm is going back to. There are no free epics in dungeons, not even in heroics. The only "welfare epics" I've seen are from rep grinds.

Normal dungeons are semi tough at first then get easier as you gear up, heroics are pretty challenging (some say too challenging) And guilds that were clearing end game content in wotlk are just now getting a few bosses down in end game content in cata. Inly the top players will have top tier gear until the next tier is added, then the former top tier gear will trickle down to those that couldnt get it via raiding. This way there will always be a difference in those that raid and earn top tier gear and those that casually play and buy gear with points

Nah, Cata is the best expansion yet. You just have burnout. It has been, what, 7 years on the same game?

The new zones and quests are fantastic, the dungeons are well designed, and the classes and class trees are streamlined and revamped beyond compare.

Thats pretty much what cataclysm is going back to. There are no free epics in dungeons, not even in heroics. The only "welfare epics" I've seen are from rep grinds.

Normal dungeons are semi tough at first then get easier as you gear up, heroics are pretty challenging (some say too challenging) And guilds that were clearing end game content in wotlk are just now getting a few bosses down in end game content in cata. Inly the top players will have top tier gear until the next tier is added, then the former top tier gear will trickle down to those that couldnt get it via raiding. This way there will always be a difference in those that raid and earn top tier gear and those that casually play and buy gear with points

They're hard alright.
I beleive raid needs to be hard.

Heroics should be harder than normal but not raid hard (Some encounters are just silly and needs to be nerfed, even though elitist will complains).

They're hard alright.
I beleive raid needs to be hard.

Heroics should be harder than normal but not raid hard (Some encounters are just silly and needs to be nerfed, even though elitist will complains).

I dont get whats so hard about heroics.. seriously....

BC heroics were much harder.. I can think of 3-4 instances that took 4-6 hours to clear just to get attuned to the raids..

This shit is nothing even remotely close.

Back