WoW: Cataclsym, anyone else bored and not feeling it ?

As a general rule if you played WOW hardcore in vanilla or TBC you love Cata, as its much more like that (things take longer, are harder, you must get involved). If you played durring wrath you dont like it for the same reasons.

As a general rule if you played WOW hardcore in vanilla or TBC you love Cata, as its much more like that (things take longer, are harder, you must get involved). If you played durring wrath you dont like it for the same reasons.

As a general rule you cant make general rules for peoples opinions.

Did they bring back Hillsbrad pvp? If not Cata is fail.

Yes I edited out a few words, but this is how it has been since launch, if you think otherwise your only kidding yourself.

Yeah I don't really get why people don't realize this sooner, especially if they've been through ANY of the expansion content, whether it's already outdated or not. If a brand new player today went through OL for the first time and looked at the rep/badge vendors in Shatt, wouldn't the thoughts, "Wow look at all this stuff people used to do to get this gear, now it's all worthless." at least cross their mind once? It's almost impossible to go through the game and not have an understanding that things get outdated and obsoleted between each expansion.

It's fine if they knew this all along and just got bored of it. But trying to act like they've suddenly "realized" this typical gear reset (this late in the game) is kind of funny.

Did they bring back Hillsbrad pvp? If not Cata is fail.

Though not on the same scale, there's been some fun world pvp moments in Tol Barad Peninsula (the daily quest hub, not the BG). It resembles the Isle of Quel'danas in TBC.

This expantion helps bring back a ton of fond vanilla memories. Miss vanilla :)

I had fun with Cata for a month or so after Christmas, but I just can't get into it. Heroics grinding gets mighty old pretty quickly.

I'm getting bored of it, as a matter of fact I really haven't played since Tuesday which is huge considering I've been a hardcore player for so long. Our guild is a 25m guild but we only have about.. 15 or so GOOD players with the rest being so-so at best. It's quite frustrating to sit and wipe to 25m raid bosses because people aren't pulling their weight DPS wise (I'm pulling 34k dps on Halfus and the next closest rogue is 17k) or people are dying to silly stuff. Then we go in on 10m and clear the place (in 10m we only have council + cho'gall, Nef and Ala'kir) basically. We can't switch to a 10m only guild because we've always been a friendly casual guild and don't want people to feel left out. A couple of our good raiders have quit because of this and I think I'm next in line, I'm tired of banging my head against a wall because people won't pull their heads out of their ass.

You can't go from how easy ICC-HM was to the current 25m REGULAR, it's just too steep of a jump.

Worst part? My account is active until August of 2012 so I can't even cancel and save money or game time... should be able to freeze accounts to extend when your account is active if you quit playing.

Heroic dungeons are just great, though a little on the easy side. But I can understand that Blizzard sort of alienated the casual raiding players.

Agreed with both statements and the common re-accuring statement about 80-85 feeling like your playing solo(especially on alts). Doing the daily roic is not very fun because from my perspective as a healer, its soooo rediculously easy. I hardly have to work but do still need to pay attention b/c it'll be along the lines of the tank takes no dmg for 1 minute then suddenly his life drops to near zero because an interrupt is missed and I have to emergency heal or vice-versa with a dot circle appears with no warning under a dps and I have to top them up(See: ToT and the water bubbles or the boss from HOO's vault of light).

The rewards for roic dungeons feel less epic. Its like when they took 'tokens' and made them into 'points' wow become suddenly more of a spreadsheet. It feels oddly better, although its purely psychological, to turn in coins earned by doing work for gear than virtual points! for gear. It just makes more sense to turn money(coins(objects of value)) in trade for other items of value. As opposed to 70 points of ___name___ points for blue/purple ___ slot.

Does anyone even pay attention to the names on gear anymore from vendors? In wotlk, I could name the gear I really wanted to get like Bulwark's shield from roic malogwar. In cata, I just want the purple ilvl 359 item....whose name... I don't know and I don't care to know. I'm not even excited about my tier peices(see below). There's this virtual disconnect between the process of earning the reward and getting the reward. The fact the amount of work/effort to get said work has been increased by a factor of 3(harder plus compounded by being more time-consuming) doesn't really increase the fun factor of doing the said work.

Perhaps, there's a bit more feeling of accomplishment when buying said item, but not a lot so. Especially when you consider, that for healers, every set bonus sucks and the gear stats are bad for our tier gear. I'd rather use random raid drops than my set-gear: It's that bad. Infact, I'd rather in some cases use the 'exalted' rep rewards b/c they have better stats than my tier gear.

The worst part though is that its not-fun. Even worse, its a not-fun segement of only 20-30 minutes like roics in wotlk. It's a not-fun segment of a whole hour as when you get a few bad dpsers or fresh 80s, it can take a whole HOUR for them to clear all the pulls just because it takes so long to down bosses. I can 'carry people' with good heals in a manner of speaking. Even if I have a bad tank + bad dps, but the inclusion of a bad tank makes it a necessity to cc and single-target making bad dps even worse than usual. A good tank + good heals, you can get away with AOEing making bad dps into ....mediocre dps for a slightly better run. Finding a good tank through the random queue system seems like a 1 in 5 chance though.

I'm not sure about the situations on other servers, but on Tich(tichonrdious), there's a lack of healers. On tuesdays or any day of the week you'll see 4-5 raids fairly consistently shouting for LF1-2M HEALER bwd fresh, bwd contintuation, bot, BH, etc. However, they are never shouting for tanks or dps. It's basically healers are what's holding up the raiding process. It seems, it maybe be due to some healers not understanding mana conservation(from wotlk bad habits) or the idea of needing to gear before doing heroics. A lot of healers have the viewpoint that 'You do normal dungeons till your 80, then jump into roics with your mostly green, some blue slots all non-gemmed or enchanted and you'll be g2g' (also from wotlk bad habits as you coudl buy tier (max level - 2) from tokens collected from normal dungeons and when dinging 80 could effectively equip 3-4 tier peices.

So the current state of WoW on my server is, healing is stressful, not much fun and requires a lot of gearing and you have little to no control over how 'quick' or 'well' a dungeon/raid goes. This adds to making healing time-consuming, stressful and unfun for unskilled or casual healers. Its amazing how many casual players choose hunter or healer; thus big surprise a lot of healers are alting to tanking or dpsing leaving a large shortage of healers and thus less ability to do anything.

It's funny too from a healer respective how everyone has 5-6x the life they did in Wotlk, yet my heals are only 10% greater in effeciency, cast substantially slower and cost 10x more. Whew. Am I ever glad that they made healing slower-paced. I mean, it was just so exciting as it was, it was hard on the heart with all that, you know, heart-pumping action. I was hoping cast times would double and made so expensive you have no choice but to use your slowest heal and cheapest heal constantly compounding the feeling of slowness.

I hope blizzard keeps up this design philosophy to see 20s cast times by the next wow expansion so I can stuff some food into my face, drink the alcohol that's required to tolerate cataclsym and finally scratch myself all between a single cast.

/sarcasim(for the last 2 paragraphs of course). I had 5 healing spells in WOTLK. I have 1 I can use reguarly without going oom in Cata.

I'm getting bored of it, as a matter of fact I really haven't played since Tuesday which is huge considering I've been a hardcore player for so long. Our guild is a 25m guild but we only have about.. 15 or so GOOD players with the rest being so-so at best. It's quite frustrating to sit and wipe to 25m raid bosses because people aren't pulling their weight DPS wise (I'm pulling 34k dps on Halfus and the next closest rogue is 17k) or people are dying to silly stuff. Then we go in on 10m and clear the place (in 10m we only have council + cho'gall, Nef and Ala'kir) basically. We can't switch to a 10m only guild because we've always been a friendly casual guild and don't want people to feel left out. A couple of our good raiders have quit because of this and I think I'm next in line, I'm tired of banging my head against a wall because people won't pull their heads out of their ass.

You can't go from how easy ICC-HM was to the current 25m REGULAR, it's just too steep of a jump.

Worst part? My account is active until August of 2012 so I can't even cancel and save money or game time... should be able to freeze accounts to extend when your account is active if you quit playing.

Well said. I'm in virtually the same boat except healer wise. My healer pulls 13k hps, the next closest is a healer of the >same class> pulling 7k hps and finally a third healer pulling 6k hps. Our dps keeps getting better and better geared as were going 8/12 each week and our top dps is a warlock consistently doing 20-23k dps on most boss fights(excluding halfus) and we have 3 other dps > 20k and only 1 under 20k. Sadly, we can't seem to get cho'gall down due to a lack of healing(imo as were dying to quickly in last phase).

Nobody seems to want to tell the teri-bad healers they are bad at healing and I've been working my but off with crafting gear, every rep to exalted, daily roics everyday only missing 1 day since roics to get my ilvl up to 357 and my heals up to 13k but still! I'm stuck with 2 lame-duck partner healers. Really nice guys and friendly, but, they suck and playing and nobody wants to tell them.

I think the concern is, healing is stressful, unfun and both the other two healers dont really 'enjoy' // 'find healing fun' and have commented such a few times. If you start yelling at them for bad performance when they are already not enjoying the game and under stress, really its only to drive 2 healers out of our guild and we'd be one of the many groups on our server shouting in /2 taking pugs b/c healers are becoming rarer and rarer. There's no guaranteed either that those healers would be any compotent since avg pugs tend to be 7k hps too.

I guess we'll keep going 8/12 and hope that when they are in total ilvl 357 gear, rather than 354ish they'll do maybe 8k/7k hps instead of 7k/6k :| and our dps moving up from ilvl 355 to 357 might give us that tiny performance boost to down cho'gall.

The rewards for roic dungeons feel less epic. Its like when they took 'tokens' and made them into 'points' wow become suddenly more of a spreadsheet. It feels oddly better, although its purely psychological, to turn in coins earned by doing work for gear than virtual points! for gear. It just makes more sense to turn money(coins(objects of value)) in trade for other items of value. As opposed to 70 points of ___name___ points for blue/purple ___ slot.

PvP have used the point system since vanilla with honor points, then later arena points, so it's nothing really new to me. But I do agree that it feels less epic though.

My favorite method of getting epics was from the AQ days of vanilla. I remember having to get a dozen+ of 3 different types of badges by doing some repeatable quests. The badges + a special item (obtained via a chain quest involving dungeon runs) + the appropriate reputation rewarded me with the epic. Minus the hideous grinding involved, the system itself felt really rewarding to complete. Oh man, 15 combat badges involving killing 30 elite bugs per badge... that was one heck of a solo grind for someone in greens and blues.

I guess i am in the sane boat. I started WoW on dialup and didn't play it on high speed until college. Now we got high speed at the house and it just got boring. I mistakenly deleted my hunter that took me 2 years to get to 70 on dialup. And then rolled a DK and I just do not like DK's enough ti level it to 85... ANd starting out fresh is boring as all hell.

Woah woah woahhhh...if you accidentally delete a character, you can open a ticket with a GM and they can bring your character back within a certain period of time. If you did it recently, open a ticket!

PvP have used the point system since vanilla with honor points, then later arena points, so it's nothing really new to me. But I do agree that it feels less epic though.

True. Honor feels tangible to me though. If I was say a WW2 solider and collected 50 enemy dogtags, I'd imagine other soliders would respect me more than the man with 0 dogtags. Similarly, if I reached 2000(aka 500 honor kills), I'd get more esteem. If I tend asked for a someones sniper rifle b/c I was going to take out a patrol I saw further up the road, I'd actually expect that person might lend it. "Gee, this guy's taken out 500 people? He's got a better chance of killing those three than I do! Here you go!"

So the idea that the more enemy combatents you kill, the more willing the 'army' or 'forces' are willing to provide you with a better sword to continue killing with makes sense. Kind of like gladiators who won in rome got to often were given better weapons/armor for the next match or so the hollywood mythology would suggest.

The idea that you walk into a raid and ohhhhhh, there's eight dragons to kill. The first dragon has the name Bob, I kill him and magically I get points seems less tangible. Especially considering 'Bob' will be back the next week or in a dungeon the moment you leave.

At least if I, Evil-orc-guys-name kills uniquely-named-human-player-with-name-about-your-mother, its an accomplishment that I beat another player in PVP combat and each time you fight another player, its a bit unique and each player has different skill levels but overall the playing field is relatively balanced and fair (****theoretically****). I can see why the later would gain respect. The former, I am not sure about. I guess I think honor is tangible and representative of a tribal society that thrives on combat/hunting.

Raiding feels like dummy-targetting the way they come back over and over again. Almost like training for combat. I dont see people getting much renown for training. More for doing.

Woah woah woahhhh...if you accidentally delete a character, you can open a ticket with a GM and they can bring your character back within a certain period of time. If you did it recently, open a ticket!

Dont listen to that bullshit you cant "Mistakenly" delete a character.

They restored my character that I deleted 1 month after vanilla was released. If your character was lvl 60 they always keep them. If if was under though you only have a certain amount of time.

They restored my character that I deleted 1 month after vanilla was released. If your character was lvl 60 they always keep them. If if was under though you only have a certain amount of time.

Yep they will restore characters with minimal hassle. Just FYI if you get annoyed at a class change and vendor/delete all your gear on a took they wont restore that. So if you want to rage just delete the toon. :D

I have been playing WoW since launch November 2004. My brothers and I always being very casual players. Didn't hit Level 60 until right before TBC came out, but had like 8 Level 40-50 character before that. Hit Level 70 right before Wrath came out. We take our time, leveling all alts at the same time, and our busy married guys, with kids, careers, etc...

Wrath was the first time I really got deep into WoW, getting to 80 rather quick, and finally started to Raid, and get full Tier geared out. I got serious with the patch that included ICC, and ran that Raid non stop every week. Was able to gear up all my alts very fast and easily with some kick ass items, and was in a fun Guild, just having a great time, running ICC and RS, etc...dying and looking forward to Cataclysm being on the way.

Cataclysm has now been out close to 2 months, and I haven't logged in in about 10 days, totally bored and burned out on WoW, Cat did not grab me like I expected it would, game feels alien to me, and not as interesting now. Was crazy happy with Cat the first couple of weeks, just exploring the new content, and revised old world, flying all over was awesome, but the newness seemed to fade rather quick for me. To get full Tier 11 gear will take forever, I just don't have it in me to run 10 million Heroic dungeons ( that take much longer to run than Wrath Heroics did ) for the Valor Points, and then the very difficult Raids to get more Valor points and i359 item drops. I think I got too used to the end of Wrath and gearing up so easily.

And the new Level 80+ zones are super solo easy, no point in needing friends to quest, it feels like a single player game from Level 81 - 85, I want to play an MMO, where I need my buddies to explore and run quests together. And the new dungeons are cool, but get boring rather fast, after several runs. And then the new Raids, look cool, but are super crazy tough to PUG, and most Guilds even have a tough time getting through them with just blue gear.

In my 6 years playing WOW, I have never taking time off a brand new expansion. When TBC came out, I was playing every day, or at least 5 days a week for months, and Wrath I played just as much if not more than TBC, 7 days a week right at launch for a several months. With Cataclysm being just 6 weeks old, I have not played for 10 days now, and couldn't care less.

To be honest I was in the same boat as you. But I think it's mainly to do with age. When I started WoW I was 20 and I just got hooked by ventrilo and all these people around the country talking about their real life stories. Raiding was much more enjoyable when you knew the persons real name and talked to him like you would if you met him in real life. But now, I graduated and I have a full time job. I am really tired now and I can't do the caffine binge as I used to when I was at the University. I didn't notice this till I myself graduated. Prior to my grauduation, the people who graduated slowly stopped playing because of work and such and couldn't dedicated their time. Some were too busy some got married, I guess it's coming of age. Gaming used to be something I used to enjoy with my friends alot after school/work. Now that I have my real job, I am becoming less and less of a gamer now. I do like MMOs but I can't dedicated 10+hours a day like some people. I used to play for a few hours a day now. I can't compete with those players that hit level 85 in one day. It took me four days to hit 85 and that's coming home direct from work doing my gaming then going straight to bed. I just quit a few weeks ago and said goodbye to some people I've known for six years in the game. It's painful to say goodbye. But the reallife train just hit me headon :(

After a 4 year break, I went back in. I started a new character and boy is there a lot more to do compared to when I quit. Leveling is tons faster. I have been playing since Thursday and it does not disappointment at all. Although I paid nearly $90 to play the game. (WoTLK, and Cata plus sub) and I have to say after 4 years of a few dozen different MMOs I wish there was something this polished and varied in quest structure. I might be a rare case because 4 years is a long time but I have found new life in a game I thought I would never ever come back to.

I stopped at the first expansion pack leaving my char at 70 and never returning.

My brother however has played all of them and picked up the latest expansion pack and played it for about 5 minutes before he logged off and hasn't played it since. It's not that the expansion pack is bad per say, but I think he hit the same wall that I hit years ago, it's just the same crap over and over and it's just boring grindy rubbish where fun drops away and is slowly replaced by the feeling of reward from leveling and getting the best armour.

However the devs can remove all of that by hitting a giant reset button and introducing better items and more money completely undoing all of your work. It's a mugs game, my view more or less now is that as soon as the expansion pack is out for a game it's time to let it die, it's just too disruptive to the community fragmenting it further than it already is, and sucks you into another grind cycle.

If you're lucky you'll realise early on what's going on, unfortunately for some it takes 3-4 expansions before they finally understand and the mere thought of logging on to play is enough to make you quit and never return.

I didn't buy it. I had the beta.

Personally to me class balance is the absolute most important thing. I can't have a fun time unless the classes are closely balanced. I like my games fair, above *everything* else.

Right now it's like playing poker where some players get 4 cards and others get 6 cards. What's the point in playing?

If you're lucky you'll realise early on what's going on, unfortunately for some it takes 3-4 expansions before they finally understand and the mere thought of logging on to play is enough to make you quit and never return.

Besides the condescending tone (not aiming at you), the problem I have with people who claim that they came to a "realization" of this cycle is that they miss the point on why people continue to play. There's some things that simply don't have a numerical value, but unfortunately people get too fixated on numbers: gameplay mechanics, stats, gear, etc. There's also this bizarre association with "investments," as though there was going to be some kind of year-end payoff with their accomplishments (again, fixated on numbers) and get stung by gear resets. With this mindset, it's easy to feel disgusted by the fact that their efforts and "investments" actually weren't worth anything and will continue to be worth nothing.

As for subjective content, I'm not just talking about the social aspect of the game that keeps people in it. Other things like music, voice acting, art style, quest and quality presentation are things that people can genuinely enjoy. Also, what accounts for veteran hardcore players that still continue raiding in their top-end guilds every expansion? Are they mindless sheep like people try to make them out to be, or do they simply treat the game as a game and accept all gameplay challenges regardless of what their gear and accomplishments are worth? I'm convinced of the latter because it just makes more sense and I think any gamer here can understand this pretty easily.

I agree about the new 85 gear not being exciting. I was a major gear whore in TBC and WoTLK, always wanting the cool high end Shield or best sword or awesome Tank helmet, I liked my gear to look cool too. Now they all seem so trivial to me just don't care. I think part of it, is the piss poor design of Tier 11 and i359 gear, looks so boring and plain. The Tier 10 Warrior gear looked so bad ass, and I ran ICC 25 like 6 months straight to get my two fav looking items. The Shield from Blood Queen and Broken Ram Skull Helm. But nothing in Cat looks remotely that good.

Awesome top Shield in WoTLK "Icecrown Glacial Wall";
http://www.wowhead.com/item=50065/icecrown-glacial-wall#screenshots

Top Shield in Cat, looks ghey;
http://www.wowhead.com/item=55069/elementium-earthguard#screenshots

Awesome Tank helm in WoTLK "Broken Ram Skull Helm";
http://www.wowhead.com/item=49986#screenshots

Top Tank helm in Cat for Paladin's = lame :(;

I think will wait to play again once Tier 12 is out in patch 4.1. When is that gonna hit ? Summer time ?

Last edited:
To be fair, the first tier of gear in WotLK was even lamer IMO. Hell, all the armor sets were recycled tier 3.

Well then here is hoping Tier 12 kicks major ass, and looks bad ass scary with flames, skulls, and devil horns :cool: T12 comes out with patch 4.1 ?

I hated how all of the plate in WOTLK looked the same just had different colors. Warrior Paladin or DK?...doesnt matter here are your spiky shoulders.

When I got my helm and shoulders of might way back in vanilla was one of my best "wow moments" (completing the set was another) not every warrior had them cuz you had to kill a 40 man raid boss to get them, you couldnt just buy them with points you had farmed.

I'm no longer a raider, so on the other hand I'm glad that I can play casually and still acquire decent gear I just wish they would make the looks of the armor sets more distinguishable

what accounts for veteran hardcore players that still continue raiding in their top-end guilds every expansion? Are they mindless sheep like people try to make them out to be, or do they simply treat the game as a game and accept all gameplay challenges regardless of what their gear and accomplishments are worth? I'm convinced of the latter because it just makes more sense and I think any gamer here can understand this pretty easily.

I can tell you from personal experience that you are not wrong.
In vanilla the guild I was in was 5th in the World at clearing Naxxramas, I still play with these people (on a casual basis as I haven't raided hardcore since TBC) and they have a contemptuous even nihilistic attitude towards gear.
Gear = tools of the trade, nothing more. It is not seen as a reward of any kind. The 'reward' from raiding is simply the satisfaction of being ahead of the pack and defeating über hard (pre-nerfed) raid content.

Also there is no DKP system of any kind, nor attendance tracking as all raiders are expected to be online or be demoted. Officers decide who gets gear, based on merit, no other deciding factor - although some hardcore guilds actually use group loot and roll need/greed on epics, no joke!
Sounds cold and ruthless but my experience in such a guild was what kept me playing really. The camaraderie was excellent, we all called each other by our first names, everyone was selfless in how they helped each other. Heck, when guild banking came in we didn't even have controls set for who could withdraw gold / items from it.. a FFA and it was never abused.
Mutual respect (no bad gamers) and trust is what keeps these guilds going strong.

Should have went all or nothing. You'll resub in a few months and file for character restorations. If you don't want to play you should simply unsubscribe, no point in trying to destroy your characters. If you really truly wanted to quit you would have deleted your "main" as well and had the account sold off or shut down. What you just did right now is petty and just puts more work on the GM's in charge of restorations.

You had a good troll going until the end were you brought up saving GMs some work. ;)

i havent picked up wow in about 3 weeks. i really like what they did with the game, but now more than ever you really cant get anything done without a guild and i just dont have the time to raid anymore.

i do agree with everyone else about the gear being a big letdown in cata. i was always a gear whore, even when i was in a top raiding guild. what can i say, i like shinies.

No,I like the fact that they've seperated leveling into single player and left the rest of the game basically multiplayer. I never liked grouping to level.

i havent picked up wow in about 3 weeks. i really like what they did with the game, but now more than ever you really cant get anything done without a guild

Psh, I can get everything done in 4 weeks tops.

Only reason my account is even active is cause I make and sell quite a bit of gold lol

yeah I was board of it before I got duped in to giving them another 40 bucks though.

I had fun leveling through the new zones, but after doing on it two characters, I was bored at the end. I do not like raiding (I dislike depending on a bunch of others [a few is fine]), so there wasn't much to do outside of PvP, which I did quite a bit of. I put a hold on my subscriptions a couple weeks ago, and Rift will occupy my time before SWTOR or GW2 are released.

Yes me and my wife got bored and canceled and now we are playing rift casually for fun.

I really disliked the huge health pools. I'm not sure about the current state of PvP, but I canceled my subscription a few months ago.
I do want to try out Rift, and give it a shot.

I am still enjoying WoW, I just don't see any better alternatives out there. Rift just seems like a repackaged wow with warhammer public quests. or am I wrong?

I am still enjoying WoW, I just don't see any better alternatives out there. Rift just seems like a repackaged wow with warhammer public quests. or am I wrong?

you are right. i am of same opinion. We have 4.1 to look forward too as well, which I am guessing Blizzard will be releasing right around time for RiFT folks to be resubbing.

Its far more than that. I think rift is the best alternative for those turned off by cataclysm.

Its a clone to be sure but its like they took the best elements of many MMOs and made one great one. Which is exactly what blizzard did with WoW. It sounds like a shitty game when put that way but what you end up with is a game that feels familiar yet fresh and new.

I hated it in beta because i couldnt get past the whole clone thing. Once you look past that and take a good look at the soul system you realize theres more to it than just "wow clone".

WoW has always been kind of a snooze to me. Actually, DDO is very underrated and a hoot to play.

Ah well, its just holding a place until The Old Republic gets here...

Back