WoW and MMORPGs in general

kur1j

Gawd
I started playing WoW a little more than a month ago and all I can say is "WOW". I have to say that it is one of the most complete games that I have ever played. The only real downside to it, is that it does cost to play but I feel it is well worth the money for what you get. This is coming from someone who swore that he would never "pay" to play on a monthly basis, I was wrong. Friend got it for me for Christmas and I am hooked. The game has features out the ass. If you can think of it they have implemented something to handle it or have handled it some in some way that you can accomplish basicly the same thing. While adding new things such as weather in the game.

Awesome stability of relms, have only had my relm go down once for like 10 min other than on the scheduled maint. days and I am never on at 6 in the morning on a tuesday anyways :D. The only other downside to the game is if you are on a relm and you want to play with one of your friends that isnt on the same relm is you you would have to reroll but I can understand the issues of this as there are almost 8 million people playing and it would be almost impossible to have one relm handle that many users. But they are fixing this soon as they are setting up a relm switching systems.

What does everyone else think?

I would kinda like the opinions of people who have played other MMO's with prior experience of MMO's that might be able to compair them. But taking any and other comments :). Have a good one.

I never liked WoW. I hate the graphic style and the game is filled with 13 year olds. I can't stand playing games with a bunch of immature fools. My favorite mmorpg of all time was FFXI, but that is because I really like the Final Fantasy world. Also it introduced some sweet features at the time. This is also coming from a guy who has played countless MMO's. I have played EQ, EQ2, WoW, FFXI, Neocron, Silkroad, D & D online, Guild Wars, RYL, and others. The game I currently play is Silkroad Online, it may not have all the features of other games, but it has a solid user base and the fact that it is free really appeals to me. Until they release an MMO that feels fresh and new, I will stick to free to play. I have had enough of orcs, elfs, and wizards for a bit. I need a new world to get sucked into.

I tried playing this game - and it felt just like all the others. It felt too much like work to me. Of course I never joined any clan or anything, and that might be the differnce.

But I am mostly an RTS game player, so my opinion really sucks on this issue.

However, if I was to play a MMO game, it would be WoW for sure. And that is saying something coming from me.

I agree with you there, MMOs are essentially the most fun you can have on the computer, imo. It's even more fun than most things in RL (depending on who you are).

When you think about it, 15 bucks a month isn't that much compared to other hobbies or interests, it just has no "real life" merit. There will always be people who never find the joy in MMOs or any such games, and I'm not gunna judge between those who goes out to bars vs. playing online games because it's about what you like. When you think about it, even with the monthly MMO fee, it's still a less expensive way to enjoy your time than other things.

Well ok now, facing reality, it's only inevitable people are gunna reply about how MMOs are too absorbing and take over your life turning you into a grinding hermit. But still, I can't blame someone for playing something they greatly enjoy and spend all their time in euphoria. Maybe I'm just biased :p

stark said:
I agree with you there, MMOs are essentially the most fun you can have on the computer, imo. It's even more fun than most things in RL (depending on who you are).

When you think about it, 15 bucks a month isn't that much compared to other hobbies or interests, it just has no "real life" merit. There will always be people who never find the joy in MMOs or any such games, and I'm not gunna judge between those who goes out to bars vs. playing online games because it's about what you like. When you think about it, even with the monthly MMO fee, it's still a less expensive way to enjoy your time than other things.

Well ok now, facing reality, it's only inevitable people are gunna reply about how MMOs are too absorbing and take over your life turning you into a grinding hermit. But still, I can't blame someone for playing something they greatly enjoy and spend all their time in euphoria. Maybe I'm just biased :p

I agree with you on the fees. It is relatively cheap compared to other hobbies and such, especially if you really enjoy.

However, I can't seem to enjoy MMORPGs. I start playing them (trials usually) and it's pretty cool for awhile, because it's new, but after that has worn off (couple of days usually), it feels more like a chore or work that I don't get payed for in real life. :rolleyes: And to be honest, there isn't a huge variety of quest types. It's either deliver something, kill someone, or go find something. And for example, in Guild Wars, you simply follow an arrow at times.....how mind numbing is that?

If they incorporated the thrill of a FPS into an MMORPG (don't tell me it's been done before, cause it hasn't in the way I'm thinking), then I would probably be all over it.

MrSatan said:
I never liked WoW. I hate the graphic style and the game is filled with 13 year olds. I can't stand playing games with a bunch of immature fools. My favorite mmorpg of all time was FFXI, but that is because I really like the Final Fantasy world. Also it introduced some sweet features at the time. This is also coming from a guy who has played countless MMO's. I have played EQ, EQ2, WoW, FFXI, Neocron, Silkroad, D & D online, Guild Wars, RYL, and others. The game I currently play is Silkroad Online, it may not have all the features of other games, but it has a solid user base and the fact that it is free really appeals to me. Until they release an MMO that feels fresh and new, I will stick to free to play. I have had enough of orcs, elfs, and wizards for a bit. I need a new world to get sucked into.
lol dont get me started on SRO. I give my cousin my free 10day trial for WoW, while someone else give him SRO (more like got him started in it). Now all he can do is tell me how pathetic and shitty WoW is compaired to SRO (even though he never even played the trial, just based his choice off some people that quit WoW because they didn't want to "pay to play").

Everones got an opionion and I am fine with that, plus if everone like the same thing what would there be in this world :).

I honestly give SRO an open mind and tried it figured hey if its just like "WoW" like my cousin said then might as well play SRO if its free. Nope wasnt the case. IMO it was no compairson (for me anyways). Nothing like WoW as for content and gameplay. I played for a good hour or two got to lvl 5-6 and absolutly hated SRO. Trying to figure out where to go and what to do was not easy in the game. Also asking someone was rather pointless bc I usually got a "fuck you newbie" attitude or a "me no eglish" reponse. I know every game has its ass hats and 12 y/o morons that play all day and have no life but overall just didnt care for it coming from WoW. IMO SRO wasn't as near as polished and for me going from WoW to SRO would have been like going from a ferrari to an economy car :).

Since you have played both how do you compair SRO to the features and gameplay of WoW?

kur1j said:
lol dont get me started on SRO. I give my cousin my free 10day trial for WoW, while someone else give him SRO (more like got him started in it). Now all he can do is tell me how pathetic and shitty WoW is compaired to SRO (even though he never even played the trial, just based his choice off some people that quit WoW because they didn't want to "pay to play").

Everones got an opionion and I am fine with that, plus if everone like the same thing what would there be in this world :).

I honestly give SRO an open mind and tried it figured hey if its just like "WoW" like my cousin said then might as well play SRO if its free. Nope wasnt the case. IMO it was no compairson (for me anyways). Nothing like WoW as for content and gameplay. I played for a good hour or two got to lvl 5-6 and absolutly hated SRO. Trying to figure out where to go and what to do was not easy in the game. Also asking someone was rather pointless bc I usually got a "fuck you newbie" attitude or a "me no eglish" reponse. I know every game has its ass hats and 12 y/o morons that play all day and have no life but overall just didnt care for it coming from WoW. IMO SRO wasn't as near as polished and for me going from WoW to SRO would have been like going from a ferrari to an economy car :).

Since you have played both how do you compair SRO to the features and gameplay of WoW?

Oh I agree with you there, SRO is not exactly jam-packed with things to do. WoW has side-jobs and quests that can keep you busy for days. Its just the thing that I like about SRO is that it runs in the vein of Guild Wars, because its almost an RPG-lite. It has some grind involved in leveling, but it is nowhere near the grind in a game such as WoW or FFXI. You can solo fine in SRO, but in FFXI you will get owned if you try and solo too much. A few good things I like from SRO is the fact that anyone can jump in and help on a large beast, whether they are in your party or not. Also I really like the style of the game, it has a cool vibe to it. It may not be the best MMORPG, but it is certainly the best free one and thats what it really has going for it. Also SRO doesnt even really start until level 20, because thats when you get to do some awesome things like hunting other players and trading ala Freelancer style. Im not one of those newbie hating dicks, but I think that the game isnt too hard to figure out what to do, after you talk to the first guy he tells you where to go and if you click on the exact quest in the quest panel it gives you a handy arrow to help you find your destination. Also the MMORPG with the best combat system right now is D & D online. It takes the tried point and click formula further by adding realtime combat dodging and hit-detection. It really adds realism to the game and involves the player even further. Too bad the game is heavily instanced (like GW), because that is a turn off to many peeps who enjoy the social interaction involved in them. There are a couple new MMORPGs in development that are gonna try this style of fighting so lets hope they can introduce some fresh ides into the stale point and click system.

MrSatan said:
I never liked WoW. I hate the graphic style and the game is filled with 13 year olds.

I love reading and hearing this. The guild that started out as HardOCP on Stormscale merged with another (larger) guild to be able to get into MC/BWL et al. There is one person there that is 12, and surprisingly he is probably one of the best shaman in the guild. If anything, the adults are more whiny and bitchy than he is.

I played WoW from January 2005 to about two weeks ago; I played casually until I hit 60 in early June, then got in with a budding raiding guild that has now cleared Blackwing Lair and is doing the new Silithus content quite easily. And that was the reason I stopped playing...raiding.

The goal of a level 60 character is either to A) Tackle the challenging "endgame" raid dungeons (Molten Core, Blackwing Lair, Ahn'Qiraj) with a guild for the top-end loot, or B) Grind it out in Battlegrounds to try and achieve Grand Marshal/High Warlord, again, for the prestige and top-end loot. Beyond that, there isn't much to do really. That's fine, because that's how these games usually go...it's about conquering challenges and getting better equipment.

But, after you've run Molten Core and Blackwing Lair over and over and over again, which requires 2-4 straight hours even for a well-organized and skilled guild, it becomes like a job. Same mobs in the same places in the same dungeons every time. And you have to run them, because the goal is to get your guildmates geared up. Occasionally you can do an outdoor raid boss like Lord Kazzak, Azuregos, or the four Emerald dragons, but mostly, it's raids in dungeons. When you're in a successful guild, you feel the need to participate all the time, and a lot of the time you'll find yourself spending hours a night going through the motions. Guild camraderie helps to ease the process, but even then, you're still raiding from 6-7 PM until midnight or well after 5-7 days a week.

This is not to trash the game, because I played it voraciously for over a year. Just don't let the "endgame" drain the fun and life out of WoW like it can easily do.

www.wurmonline.com

Is rather unique from the mmo point of view. Though the lead developer Notch is an Asshat. But the fact that i can comment on him personaly is a testimate to the dev interaction in the game.

MrSatan said:
Oh I agree with you there, SRO is not exactly jam-packed with things to do. WoW has side-jobs and quests that can keep you busy for days. Its just the thing that I like about SRO is that it runs in the vein of Guild Wars, because its almost an RPG-lite. It has some grind involved in leveling, but it is nowhere near the grind in a game such as WoW or FFXI. You can solo fine in SRO, but in FFXI you will get owned if you try and solo too much. A few good things I like from SRO is the fact that anyone can jump in and help on a large beast, whether they are in your party or not. Also I really like the style of the game, it has a cool vibe to it. It may not be the best MMORPG, but it is certainly the best free one and thats what it really has going for it. Also SRO doesnt even really start until level 20, because thats when you get to do some awesome things like hunting other players and trading ala Freelancer style. Im not one of those newbie hating dicks, but I think that the game isnt too hard to figure out what to do, after you talk to the first guy he tells you where to go and if you click on the exact quest in the quest panel it gives you a handy arrow to help you find your destination. Also the MMORPG with the best combat system right now is D & D online. It takes the tried point and click formula further by adding realtime combat dodging and hit-detection. It really adds realism to the game and involves the player even further. Too bad the game is heavily instanced (like GW), because that is a turn off to many peeps who enjoy the social interaction involved in them. There are a couple new MMORPGs in development that are gonna try this style of fighting so lets hope they can introduce some fresh ides into the stale point and click system.
Unless I missed something in the game, this is something that annoyed the crap out of me is when I was trying to do something some retard would come up and start killing my stuff and it didn't look like i got as much experience out of the deal. Something that I LOVE how WoW handled. (Whoever does the first dmg shot to the mod that is who gets credit unless you are partied then the XP is shared along with the gold and the drop is rolled for if its a green or above). When I was killing the stuff in SRO money didn't seem to drop if the higher lvl character did more dmg to the mob maybe I missed something but it just annoyed me having people steal the kills and stuff. Maybe I missed something and I might not be totally correct but this is what seemed to happen. :-/

All MMO's have the same basic premise...kill things...collect loot...level up. Wash...rinse...repeat. Add in a dash of PvP or RP or some other twist and you have a sexy MMO. I'm currently playing DDO and love some of the twists they have put into it. I still think my favorite MMO was DAoC as it ate up months and months of time.

You just need to know when to quit and not let the guild obligations be life obligations.

Most MMO's are missing the point of MMO, player interaction. And play interaction doesnt mean finding your items on the Auction House and basically getting together to group up for a raid. I liked Star Wars Galaxies better. All the items were player made, most drop items were awful quality. Players actually socialized and roleplayed rampantly. The game was set up in a way to do so. It wasnt necessary to grind for months and months. I used to get into Cantina fights, make speederbikes, had houses, even managed a city for awhile. New recent upgrade killed the game though. But that game was structured in a way that made player interaction easier and more necessary.

WoW gave me problems the whole time I played it. I kept ending up rerolling characters because I leveled up and after 40 or so the class changed (like rogues complaining they become gimped at 60, priests become uber after 40, druids and paladins damage used to stop progressing after 40, and people being generally irritated of how they are treated because of their class like mages treated as magical water-conjurers). The prospect of having more than one character was a joke because of the time consumption just for leveling and gearing one. Too many times I had people yelling at me and insulting me for... not being invincible in battlegrounds, not being specced a way someone else wanted me to be specced, offering advise to a lower level of my class and sometimes even... for speaking! That wasn't on a PvP server, which i discovered to be much worse. I wanted to PvP but I didn't want to join a raid guild to gear up for it(those guilds tend to act like they are "elites" of WoW after awhile, plus some tell YOU when to be online to raid or you can't stay in). PvP reward gear did not match the stats of my class very well and I didn't fare up against epic-geared 60's very well. But my main beef with MMO's was the time consumption in general. To make any significant progress in game, I had to spend most or all of my free time playing it leaving no real opportunity to accomplish anything IRL.

EDIT: Summary of what I'm saying is that WoW is a "get to 60 and raid, raid, raid" based game, which is not good for casual players, or people who didnt want to play all the time.

I told you www.wurmonline.com lol

It understands the point of player interaction and is definetly unique. However it kinda misses the point of other mmos. Its more of a midevil life simulator. The fun factor is debatable but the community cohesiveness is pretty un matched.

The idea is you build a town with friends all filling seperate rolls. You can then go to war with other towns, trade, work together or just sit arround peacefully crafting shit and hording gold.

Back