Wow, am I wrong in my opinion here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Operaghost

[H]ard|Gawd
I recently got a PM from a forum member regarding some DDR3 he wanted to sell, since I had it in my WTB thread.

So I thought great, I'll inquire about it and possibly make a transaction for them. I'm kind of appalled by how upset this guy got with my response.

Here is the conversation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operaghost
Ya man I'd be interested. Whats the exact kit # please? How much are you asking?

This is the link to the exact item: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145224
All I'm looking to get for them is what I paid. I'll lose a little bit paying the shipping costs to you and eating the paypal fee, but I'm fine with that.
$230 via insured USPS Priority Mail and paypal fee is included.
If you're interested, feel free to send payment at your convenience. Paypal address is: *removed*
I ship out items the same or next business day upon receiving payment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operaghost
Ya sorry man, there is no reason for me to purchase the memory from a random guy on a forum when I can get it for the same price retail. Just doesn't make any sense. I don't see why anyone would do that.

Thanks anyways.

Seriously? Why not? The seal on the box hasn't even been broken. I haven't even breathed on the memory. Why on earth would I sell a new, sealed item at a substantial discount?

Random guy on a forum? Doesn't make sense?? Perhaps you don't do a lot of business online, but that's simply the way it works. I'd provide you with the id of the fellow that bought my UD3P from this "random guy" last week, so you could contact him and verify my legitimacy, however I realize it's pointless because you're one of these typical computer forum lowballers that always expects to get something for nothing. Seriously...what were you expecting...for me to sell a new sealed kit for something like $150 and take a 30% loss? Give me a break.

No worries mate. I'll just throw it up on ebay. Thanks for the reply.

My response:

You don't have to bite my fucking head off and start calling me names and shit. Who said anything about $150. I'm simply making a point man. WHY would any consumer pay retail price from a non retail seller?

If I can get the same item for the same price from a reputable retailer, with manufacturer warranty, return policies, etc. Then why on earth would I buy it from a forum member?

It's simply illogical to me.

I just can't believe this guy ripped into me because I would rather buy from a retailer if its the same price. I mean, maybe I'm alone on this but makes much more sense to me than the risks of forum trading.

I am on your side on this,he asked for $230 shipped which is even a DOLLAR more than NewEgg's price. He does not have creditability like NewEgg.

It would be different if there was an MIR involved, but there is none.

I remember a lot of items I've sold brand new that was way under the price of NewEgg's.

if the price exactly the same id buy from retailer.

i cant imagine if the ram turn to be doa and you want your refund.
id buy somewhere else and save my self from aggravations.

Seems your logic was and is logical :) ....newegg/manufacturers warranty for the same price....no brainer here

LOL! I'm the gentleman in question here. Here was my reply to this Operaghost's crass reply to me:

Bite your fucking head off and calling you names? You consider lowballer calling you a name? You make it sound like I straight up said you're a fucking idiot. I was simply stating the obvious. Sorry if it came out all wrong but I'm just sick and tired of dealing with people on this forum. I do online business in multiple venues, have a 200 feedback score on ebay with 100% positive, and never have I encountered an online community with such cheap people in my life. I suppose that's just the way the computer building community works though, at least it seems that way. I spend most of time on high end audio forums and there just seems to be a higher caliber of clientele there. People know what the item is worth and are willing to pay for it. There just isn't this expected bartering process to go through for every damn item you're trying to sell.

These came from Newegg, clearly a reputable dealer, and since their still sealed why would they be any less reputable coming from me? As far as your question goes asking why would you buy from forum member instead of buying retail, it's called helping your fellow man out. I realize to the younger generations of today that is sadly a lost novel concept, however some people still operate that way.

Seriously though, I really am curious to know what price you were expecting me to ask you for these? 200? 215? If the coin was flipped, and you were in my shoes, how much money would you be willing to throw away just to flip a brand new sealed memory kit? I would sincerely like to know for future reference, so I know what to appropriately price new items at.

One more thing, you don't get the option of a return policy for motherboards and memory from Newegg. All they offer is the ability for you to swap it for the exact same item. Believe me, if I could return these for a refund I would have done so already.

Cheers.

Could someone please answer that second to last paragraph for me? I really, truly want to know how much money people are willing to throw away in order to sell a brand new sealed item. As far as price is concerned, I simply made a mistake. I didn't mean to ask for a whole one additional dollar over the new price. At first glance I thought it said $229.99, not $229.00. Let the crucifying begin.

Really though...how much is this new sealed kit supposed to be priced at just because it was shipped to me from Newegg and I've touched the outside of the box?

i will side with the person who would rather buy it from the retailer. that person made good points about reputation and credibility.

. I mean, maybe I'm alone on this but makes much more sense to me than the risks of forum trading.

What risks are there exactly? If you pay via Paypal with a credit card you're covered by your credit card company if the item never shows or is not in the condition the seller said it was in.

It's not my fault this forum doesn't even have a buyer/seller feedback section for transactions performed.

This has nothing to do with the FS/T forum proper. You might as well be arguing about a random AIM conversation. This Sub-Forum is for issues arising out of deals on the forum, something we have control over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back