Wow, a Vega Frontier Edition for $700 (Black Friday)

The Cobra

2[H]4U

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171124-050151.png
    Screenshot_20171124-050151.png
    377.1 KB · Views: 31
Oh Wow....Must resist.....Fuck i bet they sell out soon! Thats a top notch retailer as well! Something about 16GB HBM2 vRAM gives me a boner!

How is the recent gaming performance of these bad boys? BTW Cobra please post some pics of your setup!

Last edited:
I've been debating a purchase myself since I saw this post earlier today too. But the performance (between 1070-1080) just doesn't justify the price. If you had a workload that could use the full power of the Vega FE, definitely worth a buy. But if you're a gamer / casual user, you can get a better card for your use-case for the money. You can buy a 1080ti NIB from some members here on [H] for that much.

I have two of them. Paid a cool $2k at the time. The driver situation has def improved. You can now install the 17.11.2 to play but are still limited to using one gpu. I've been DM'ing with one of the driver devs on Twitter and he stated that the year end drivers will be a massive update with a unified driver across the board. Plus the new driver will have mGpu and Crossfire re-enabled after stripping it from the 17.6 drivers when the card was first released. I'm keeping my driver at the 17.Q4.1 Pro and 17.9.1 Gaming until AMD ultimate driver at the end of the year they produce annually.

When I use the 17.9.1 gaming driver I'm getting GPU clocks at 1680/1700 a lot of the time. Getting roughy 5-10fps depending the game. When I switch to the pro driver the clocks stay constant at 1600 but the gaming feels more 'smooth' (I'm playing mainly BF1, and world of warships)

I also use the cards for Autodesk 3d-studio for my students projects and my Adobe CS work with Premier and After Effects.

The second card was purchased just for sheer greed and wanting Crossfire/mGpu gaming.

The next driver update should take care of that issue next month.

As for if you should purchase the card if you have the scratch and can't afford the Titan XP...this is a bargain IMHO.

When I use the 17.9.1 gaming driver I'm getting GPU clocks at 1680/1700 a lot of the time. Getting roughy 5-10fps depending the game. When I switch to the pro driver the clocks stay constant at 1600 but the gaming feels more 'smooth' (I'm playing mainly BF1, and world of warships)

I also use the cards for Autodesk 3d-studio for my students projects and my Adobe CS work with Premier and After Effects.

The second card was purchased just for sheer greed and wanting Crossfire/mGpu gaming.

The next driver update should take care of that issue next month.
I think your missing a few zeros right? not 5-10fps in a game right?

I think your missing a few zeros right? not 5-10fps in a game right?

Sorry, late at night...lol. I meant I'm getting 5-10fps more in game. Was getting roughy 85-90fps in BF1, now getting 90-100fps. 75 is I keep vsync locked.

Sorry, late at night...lol. I meant I'm getting 5-10fps more in game. Was getting roughy 85-90fps in BF1, now getting 90-100fps. 75 is I keep vsync locked.
Can i ask how is the warranty done? I feel kind weird not buying XFX branded hardware since their turnaround can be done in a weeks time if done thru the Rep.

One year warranty through AMD. I got a three year warranty through Newegg when I got the cards cause at the time a grand isn't pocket change.

One year warranty through AMD. I got a three year warranty through Newegg when I got the cards cause at the time a grand isn't pocket change.
i got ya...if you buy these dont forget to purchase the square trade or equivalent 3 year warranty!

Just out of curiosity - you guys that already have a VEGA FE - what exactly are you guys using it for?

I have two of them. One is sitting in a box right right now waiting for the year end crimson driver that will give those of us that have two mGpu/Crossfire. I use the first card for my professional apps (Adobe CC and Maya 3D) plus gaming.

I have two of them. One is sitting in a box right right now waiting for the year end crimson driver that will give those of us that have two mGpu/Crossfire. I use the first card for my professional apps (Adobe CC and Maya 3D) plus gaming.
sucks none of those professional apps can make use of more than one card...these days lucky if they can use them at all i guess. How much time can the card cut from your work times?

There are pro apps that do take advantage of two cards, but they are mainly compute heavy operations.

My video crunching has been reduced by a third. When it would take roughly 4-6 hours to render scenes on my Fury X, it now takes 1-3 hours because of how beefy and the pro drivers are optimized.

Gaming on the card is an absolute pleasure since the 17.Q4.1/17.9.1 came out. I've been DM'ing with an AMD driver Dev on Twitter and he's stated that the upcoming year-end AMD driver might be the first unified driver for all AMD professional and gaming cards. If not in December, then def in January when the 18.Q1 driver is released. He stated the pro driver is one behind the release of WHQL driver.

How these cards working out with recent drivers? I kinda wish i had bought one when the prices were so low.

Verr nice so far. I have the Q4.17 driver installeed with the 18.3.1 gaming drivers. No issues with it.

These are really no different than a reference V64 with the same gaming drivers, and you have the option to also run switchable with pro drivers if you want. If 16 vs 8 vram is ever relevant they have that advantage, but I'm doubtful it will be before they are far out of date.

The shroud sure is purty too ;) I definitely got my mileage out of 'em since the BF sale.

I'm very happy over the last few months since AMD cleaned up the pro driver and added the gaming drivers as a download option. I keep the 18.3.1 driver running fulltime and get great performance in both my pro apps (adobe are and maya3D) and games. The only glitch I seem to have is when I run GTA5 in crossfire, it crashes to the desktop and I need to reboot my system...if not the entire system freezes.

These are really no different than a reference V64 with the same gaming drivers, and you have the option to also run switchable with pro drivers if you want. If 16 vs 8 vram is ever relevant they have that advantage, but I'm doubtful it will be before they are far out of date.

The shroud sure is purty too ;) I definitely got my mileage out of 'em since the BF sale.
Gaming driver do not load or install with the FE, only the Pro drivers and gaming drivers made for the Pro drivers if you enabled the Options Menu.

16gb comes in handy for ProRender used in Blender, soon in Modo, also Cinema 4D. Allows more complex scenes, materials etc.

Gaming driver do not load or install with the FE, only the Pro drivers and "gaming drivers made for the Pro" drivers if you enabled the Options Menu.

16gb comes in handy for ProRender used in Blender, soon in Modo, also Cinema 4D. Allows more complex scenes, materials etc.

The pro driver "dual install" downloads the gaming driver. You can find the installer yourself after it does it. It is literally the same as the "regular" gaming driver of the same version: same file, same hash.

The pro driver "dual install" downloads the gaming driver. You can find the installer file yourself after it does it. It is literally the same as the regular driver: same file, same hash.

Is gaming performance identical now between the Vega 64 and the Vega Frontier (since the drivers are identical?) with the Frontier getting the potential advantage of 16GB?

The pro driver "dual install" downloads the gaming driver. You can find the installer yourself after it does it. It is literally the same as the "regular" gaming driver of the same version: same file, same hash.
Only the Pro gaming drivers work. Just can’t install any gaming driver.

Is gaming performance identical now between the Vega 64 and the Vega Frontier (since the drivers are identical?) with the Frontier getting the potential advantage of 16GB?

Yes, FE is a V64 always has been. 16GB is meaningless to games, if anything it generates a bit more heat/power draw so clock profile might be down a bit. In reality its all within margin of error on wenchmarketing.

/facepalm

Maybe you are incapable of installing it but AMD isn't.
The damn regular game drivers will not install, period! The Pro Gaming drivers will if you enable the Driver Options menu. Do you even have a FE?

Is the Vega FE worth getting when I'l be upgrading from an OCed 980 Ti in June? I'd love to know if its worth getting since I have a FreeSync monitor that locks out the 75Hz max refresh unless I have an AMD card.

Is the Vega FE worth getting when I'l be upgrading from an OCed 980 Ti in June? I'd love to know if its worth getting since I have a FreeSync monitor that locks out the 75Hz max refresh unless I have an AMD card.

Just got my RX 580 & Display cable in today, coming from a GTX 980, I'll let you know. 75hz on the 980 was a slideshow.

I have no issues with both of my FE's running in Crossfire. I keep the 18.3.1 drivers running all the time.

You have to install the specific driver for the FE. There is the 18.Q1.1 that was released a few weeks back. Install that driver. When installing, choose custom install. This will enable the gaming driver install. Once the pro driver is installed, it will ask to install and switch to the gaming driver....DO NOT DO THIS. It will cause the machine to hang and you will receive the lovely QT5.dll errors. Reboot the machine after the pro driver install. Upon logging back in after the reboot, bring up the AMD pro driver properties. You will notice ion the lower left hand corner of the screen "Driver Options" Pick that option and choose "check for drivers" this will then bring up both the 18.3.1 WHQL and the 17.12.2 driver. Choose Install the 18.3.1 driver and allow it to install...repeat the same steps...reboot again after the install is done. Once you log in for the final time, bring up your AMD driver properties and now you can switch the driver from the pro to the gaming driver.

If you try to use the just the gaming driver that is released for the Vega 64 cards, it will only install the pro driver with no option to switch to the gaming driver.

Attachments

• driver.PNG
    driver.PNG
    46.2 KB · Views: 0
Just got my RX 580 & Display cable in today, coming from a GTX 980, I'll let you know. 75hz on the 980 was a slideshow.

Yeah, 75Hz is recognized by the NVIDIA drivers but the TestUFO site showed that the monitor was dropping frames w/o FreeSync enabled. I'm SOL unless I go with an AMD card (thanks LG).

Curious to know how things are going with 18.Q2 drivers and if anyone is using more recent game driver with their FE.

I've got one showing up next week...

Back