WoW: 9th expansion; Dragonflight

hmm, this says otherwise
"Data from Blizzard’s Q2 earnings call reveals that the current amount of WoW monthly active users (MAU) sits at around 26 million players. While that may sound like a lot at first glance, this means that the game has almost halved in popularity over the last four years."

https://sosordinateurs.com/gaming/how-many-active-wow-players-are-there/
26 million subscribers, only 6 million monthly players.

https://activeplayer.io/world-of-warcraft/

hmm, this says otherwise
"Data from Blizzard’s Q2 earnings call reveals that the current amount of WoW monthly active users (MAU) sits at around 26 million players. While that may sound like a lot at first glance, this means that the game has almost halved in popularity over the last four years."

https://sosordinateurs.com/gaming/how-many-active-wow-players-are-there/
That website is a mess.

Here is the earning report for Q2 2021 that the website is referencing:

https://investor.activision.com/static-files/3187ab6b-6547-4f8d-bfbd-d709cdcd48a0

Blizzard has 26 million monthly active users, not WoW specifically. No one was the actual subscription numbers for WoW other than Blizzard themselves since they stopped publishing them. Additionally, the subscription does not differentiate between classic only, retail only, and hybrid players.

I will say I'm surprised myself that I am enjoying 9.2 so far.

I'm not Raiding right now and just barely doing M0 dungeons.

But playing very casually every night. I'm having fun getting all the renown covenant gear transmog sets for all my alts.

And going after the new weapon appearances in the new ZM zone.

I'm having more fun now currently than I have the entire expansion and I'm playing every night again but just having fun messing around getting transmog stuff.

Regarding MMO subscribers and games making them money.

I recall reading many years ago and it wasn't world of Warcraft but a different game The developer said they need like minimum 500k subscribers to keep the lights on, and 750k subs to earn a profit after all said and done.

If a MMO has 1 miillion subscribers they're making pretty decent money.

And last I heard I believe WoW still has near 2 million subscribers so they're making some pretty damn good money still at that subscriber base.

Any other game company would die to have those subscriber amounts

Regarding MMO subscribers and games making them money.

I recall reading many years ago and it wasn't world of Warcraft but a different game The developer said they need like minimum 500k subscribers to keep the lights on, and 750k subs to earn a profit after all said and done.

If a MMO has 1 miillion subscribers they're making pretty decent money.

And last I heard I believe WoW still has near 2 million subscribers so they're making some pretty damn good money still at that subscriber base.

Any other game company would die to have those subscriber amounts
Since WoW Classic launched you can’t utilize subscriber numbers to determine the health and engagement of WoW ‘Retail’ (or Classic for that matter) since the subscription doesn’t differentiate which version of WoW is being played by the subscriber.

For example, you could have 2 million subscribers, but 1.5 million could be playing WoW Classic while only 500K play WoW ‘Retail’. This would mean Retail is in a bad state and only Classic is keeping up sub numbers.

Either way, unless another credible insider leaks the subscription number, everything you hear is speculation. The only reason I give the 2019 leaker any credence is because the other stuff they leaked came out to be true.

Anecdotally, my 15+ years experience with WoW has been at its lowest with Shadowlands. I also have not seen the community be this disengaged from the product since WoD. Maybe Dragonflight will turn the tides, but I’m not holding my breath anymore.

Blizzard has 26 million monthly active users. That includes all their games not just WoW. They don't talk about sub numbers anymore.

"Monthly Active User (“MAU”) Definition: We monitor MAUs as a key measure of the overall size of our user base. MAUs
are the number of individuals who accessed a particular game in a given month. We calculate average MAUs in a period by
adding the total number of MAUs in each of the months in a given period and dividing that total by the number of months in
the period. An individual who accesses two of our games would be counted as two users."

Although we don’t have numbers to compare, FFXIV is most likely beating ‘Retail’ WoW in both number of players and content quality by a decent margin.

‘Retail’ WoW has been in a continuing decline since BFA released in 2018. Legion was the last good expansion and before that expansion it wasn’t doing hot either.

If you’ve played Shadowlands you can see the WoW team essentially gave up less than halfway through that expansion and this new expansion so far shows they’re lost on where to go.
This. Also, ESO.

Attachments

• 1059359.jpg
    1059359.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1059360.jpg
    1059360.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 0
I'm weak.

I broke my rule.

I spent the past five or six days scouring over every game I could think of that offers dungeons, tank/healer/dps roles, a queuing system, loot, and minimal story. Nothing. I've spent a minimum of 20h on each one that was mentioned at some point. I keep falling back to this god damned game.

Put the authenticator on my old smartphone I use for music while choring. and for the first time, handed over my cell number to someone outside of tenants and family. I've never done that. it felt so wrong.

so that's that. I've always healed, but switched to tanking. picked up my paladin and ran a few mythics last night. tanked a LFR the other day that was somewhat of a cluster. what sucks about the LFR is that the gear is lower than mythic? weird.

I have to give the WoW art team major props, they have been designing some cool looking gear. I'm loving my Necrolord Renown sets. And some the SL Raid gear looks super cool.

And this Dragonflight gear should be bad ass

I like that they are finally moving forward with cross-faction content. Their past argument is that it goes against lore, but honestly, who cares? It's batshit crazy to have two people who play the exact same game but can't play together because they are on different factions. The way certain races are locked into certain factions is also a bit counter-intuitive. I get that Humans are linked to the Alliance because their main city is in Alliance territory, but that doesn't explain why individual humans couldn't make the decision to join the horde if they wanted to. Or if a Tauren wanted to join the Alliance, etc. The idea that individuals within the game have no freedom of choice in that respect is pretty silly.

It's impossible to know how it will play out with so many changes. I didn't find Shadowlands and BFA to be too complex, but most probably don't put as much time into the game as I do. I get how it could be overwhelming to a casual. I'm still a bit bitter over a recent experience I had trying to get a friend back into the game. I wanted us to be able to just level together and then jump into 5-mans to start gearing, which is how it would have been in most of the older expansions. Instead he was stuck in a scripted quest-filled storyline for hours and hours. I couldn't help him at all because I had already done that quest chain and thus I was phased (can't see each other even if we are both in the same location). He couldn't do any new content until he finished the scripted quest-chain, and all I could do to help him was try to guide him along via Discord. He quit again before he even finished the quest chain. I'm not totally opposed to scripted story-lines, but don't lock returning players into them like some kind of Prison... If the new expansion allows people more freedom to explore and experience the game however they want to, that will be an improvement.

I agree and I'm very excited for cross-faction play coming in patch 9.2.5.

It would be super cool if they would allow cross-faction races to be in the same Guild together

Would like to play my night elf Warrior with my daughter who's a blood elf hunter.

I'm weak.

I broke my rule.

I spent the past five or six days scouring over every game I could think of that offers dungeons, tank/healer/dps roles, a queuing system, loot, and minimal story. Nothing. I've spent a minimum of 20h on each one that was mentioned at some point. I keep falling back to this god damned game.

Put the authenticator on my old smartphone I use for music while choring. and for the first time, handed over my cell number to someone outside of tenants and family. I've never done that. it felt so wrong.

so that's that. I've always healed, but switched to tanking. picked up my paladin and ran a few mythics last night. tanked a LFR the other day that was somewhat of a cluster. what sucks about the LFR is that the gear is lower than mythic? weird.
Enjoy those constant spam calls from now on!

Well watching all the videos so far, I am cautiously optimistic that next expansion may be good. I am not getting my hopes up though, as they could easily mess it up again. One good thing though is no mission table this expansion....that makes me happy.

I am going to play, as i have all the other expos. But…i would love for the gimmicky open world PVP buffs and the stupidly over used stunlocks to finally be put to rest. Its way overboard now.

And to add, how about we curb the 59 different versions of the same junk currency to fill up bags unnecessarily? Its super annoying to break out the Brutosaur i grinded 9 toons to afford every 5 minutes…it serves no purpose other then aggravation…

And to add, how about we curb the 59 different versions of the same junk currency to fill up bags unnecessarily? Its super annoying to break out the Brutosaur i grinded 9 toons to afford every 5 minutes…it serves no purpose other then aggravation…

LOL I have so much garbage in my bags. I went to my bank to unload it and all my bank bags are filled up to the brim. Ugh.

I'd like to see them remove about 80 of the servers and go back to opening day of, what?, six? eight?

LOL I have so much garbage in my bags. I went to my bank to unload it and all my bank bags are filled up to the brim. Ugh.

Yeah I have the same problem, my bank is full of all sorts of stuff I dont want to get rid of. I did do a purge when I had half a bag of my inventory left, and got rid of some stuff. I still have a lot of stuff left though.

I'd like to see them remove about 80 of the servers and go back to opening day of, what?, six? eight?

They have way too many dead servers, they are going to have to do this sooner than later. Its going to hurt people that didnt play for a while coming back to find out their server has 20 people on it. Heck my server is dead as a doornail, with only a few guilds left doing any content. But I have no plan to give blizz hundreds of dollars to move all my characters elsewhere.

They have way too many dead servers, they are going to have to do this sooner than later. Its going to hurt people that didnt play for a while coming back to find out their server has 20 people on it. Heck my server is dead as a doornail, with only a few guilds left doing any content. But I have no plan to give blizz hundreds of dollars to move all my characters elsewhere.
I just rerolled a new character. Same race. Same class. Hell, same name. I'm working on the Torghast thing and am wondering if I should just pay for the transfer. The first character has two legendaries and a few other things. meh

Any warlock players here?

I know this is sort of off topic. It's for current SL live, I dusted off an old character of mine from BFA that I haven't touched and probably 3 years. My level 50 warlock still in BFA zone.

I want to level him up and try them out at level 60.

What's the best spec for leveling 50 to 60 in SL for warlock? Any tips?

Any warlock players here?

I know this is sort of off topic. It's for current SL live, I dusted off an old character of mine from BFA that I haven't touched and probably 3 years. My level 50 warlock still in BFA zone.

I want to level him up and try them out at level 60.

What's the best spec for leveling 50 to 60 in SL for warlock? Any tips?
I leveled my lock as destruction with big grape leading the way. Had no problems at all.

I leveled my lock as destruction with big grape leading the way. Had no problems at all.

I haven't played a Warlock in years. "Big grape" is the purple / blue guy, the Tank?

Any spexific talents you'd recommend and a quick rotation for leveling

Is he big grape now? he was blueberry for me when I played a lock.

Its going to hurt people that didnt play for a while coming back to find out their server has 20 people on it.

This would never be the case with modern sharding. Server shards include people from multiple servers and are updated dynamically so that there is always a certain number of people in each area.

This would never be the case with modern sharding. Server shards include people from multiple servers and are updated dynamically so that there is always a certain number of people in each area.

Yeah that makes the world look full, but you still can only join guilds to do content on your own server. If your server has 3 guilds on it, having 100 people running around in Org or Stormwind doesnt really help that. My current server has 26 guilds that killed a boss in the first raid, 15 of those killed a heroic boss, and 0 mythic kills at all. None of the top guilds have even come close to finishing heroic yet either.

Yeah that makes the world look full, but you still can only join guilds to do content on your own server. If your server has 3 guilds on it, having 100 people running around in Org or Stormwind doesnt really help that. My current server has 26 guilds that killed a boss in the first raid, 15 of those killed a heroic boss, and 0 mythic kills at all. None of the top guilds have even come close to finishing heroic yet either.
You can do dungeons and raids with players on different servers if you want to, that's how my transferred guild can still take people that did not want to transfer realms on raids.

Pretty shocked to read this, was expecting a Spring 2023 release, like April / May time frame next year. But I suppose if it's just mainly the class talent trees being redone, which is a great thing, but that's about all that's coming at release, and of course the new zones and new capital city, but that's standard new expansion stuff, that they always have ready for every new expansion.

If it does release in Nov / Dec, I bet a lot of content is delayed and not there at launch, like the new Raids, half the new dungeons, and a ton of time gating stuff for things not yet ready at release. So yeah technically they can release Dragonflight before the end of the year easy this way.

Back