WoW; 5th expansion Warlords of Draenor

Well, I got sucked back in. Picked up WoD, updated, installed no mods, and am now bouncing around toons trying to figure out what to instant to 90. New server and I'm debating transferring my 85 Druid and using the instant 90 later on an alt or just using the instant on a new Druid there and level the alt later.

Most likely doing a Druid Resto/Boom as an instant 90. The question is, what to alt? I've got the boa 1-80 and 1-85 gear for cloth, leather (agi), mail (agi), and plate (dps though I've tanked with it in the past). Contemplating what to do first. I've yet to max out a Rogue or Warrior so both have some immediate appeal there since I can always go level my alts on the so-so server and LFR them. Worst case I server transfer something if I end up moving into a raiding guild again with an alt.

I been out of raiding for along time not done it seriously since TBC and the last time i raided was in Cata in a 10 man guild that lasted 2 months. How does the LFR work, do people connect to a vent channel or is there ingame Voice chat now ?

LFR is easy enough that no voice chat is required. Difficulty is not much higher than heroic dungeons, and the player count pads that fairly heavily. It's basically a way for people to see the content and do their gear progression.

I been out of raiding for along time not done it seriously since TBC and the last time i raided was in Cata in a 10 man guild that lasted 2 months. How does the LFR work, do people connect to a vent channel or is there ingame Voice chat now ?

There is LFR and there is Group finder, those are 2 different things.

LFR is the lowest raid tier of difficulty. It gives the lowest level gear, but its pretty much trivial to complete. You queue up for LFR just like you would queue for dungeons. Once 25 or whatever is matched up, you go through the wing. Everything is pretty much pew pew until dead. No coordination is needed, its for those who dont really want to learn (and gear) for difficult encounters, but still experience the content at a vastly reduced difficulty.

Group finder is used for forming Normal and Heroic difficulty tiers. If you played FFXIV, its a lot like that. People can form groups and post in group finder with whatever description they want: What boss they're going on, loot rules, ilvl and exp requirements, etc. As an individual (or group) you can search through listings and sign up for whatever group that matches your needs. Many groups put a requirement to join their voice coms, and the description has a section to list out whether its vent, raidcall, mumble, etc.

Normal is the new name for flex (new in MoP), and heroic is the new name for Normal raids. LFR, Normal, and Heroic all have individual boss lockouts by character. This is model introduced when LFR came out in Dragon Soul of Cata. This means you can fight a boss as many times as you want, but you only get a chance at loot once per boss per difficulty per week. For instance, you can kill Kargath on LFR, get loot, Kill on Normal, get loot, Kill on heroic, get loot. Later in the week, you can then help guildmates with Kargath by killing him again, but you will not be eligible for any loot that drops (regardless of loot rules) until the next lockout.

Normal and Heroic have dynamic raid sizes. It can support anywhere from 10-30 and you can change it between each encounter. You can now tailor your raid to strengths and weaknesses. Having trouble healing? Add a healer and change the healer/dps ratio. The difficulty will scale to however many people are in the raid (higher damage and healing for every person added) but you can play around with what the raid is capable of. Some fights favor more, some favor less, but all bosses are possible with any raid size from 10-30.

Mythic difficulty is the end all be all highest difficulty for each raid. If follows different rules of lockouts and raid sizes. If you are inquiring about LFR, you probably dont need to know the ins and outs of mythic any time soon.

Thanks mate, christ i just imagined the LFR would be normal mode. I'm just a smelly casual these days so its probably a good thing,

Okay so how much garrison resources does one ned to save up for one they hit 100 and can upgrade garrison to level 3?

I'm really impressed with this expansion so far. Generally, I haven't like any thing "New" that they've added to the game since BC (I hated "Hero Classes", vehicles, the entire panda expansion), but the new stuff they added just seems great to me and I can't put my finger on exactly why it's so much better. If anyone's wondering if they should play it, do it. It's awesome, and that's coming from someone who has basically loathed the game since wrath.

I'm really impressed with this expansion so far. Generally, I haven't like any thing "New" that they've added to the game since BC (I hated "Hero Classes", vehicles, the entire panda expansion), but the new stuff they added just seems great to me and I can't put my finger on exactly why it's so much better. If anyone's wondering if they should play it, do it. It's awesome, and that's coming from someone who has basically loathed the game since wrath.

I skipped Cataclysm and Mists as well for pretty much the same reasons you did.

However, this expansion? Man it has me hooked as well. The garrison is probably the coolest thing I've seen implemented in a game in a long time.

Not entirely sure why people are still hung on the "pandas" deal really, but vehicles? That ones's a bit confusing. Why are vehicles a reason to not play the game?

Have my Frost DK at item level 638 and my Tanking Warrior at level 640. Took on NerZhul last night and man that was fun..

Wow you got to 640 iLvL without doing Auchindoun? Don't you need that for the 680 ring? :p

If anyone does solid DPS (20K all the time) and wants to raid Tuesday and Thursday from 8PM to 12PM EST, let me know. We have a 4/7H raid going that needs more DPS. Usually a 13 or 14 person group, you may need to transfer to Frostmane or Ner'Zhul (server) for Mythics in the future. I am a tank in this raid.

Last edited:
If anyone does solid DPS (20K+++ all the time) and wants to raid Tuesday and Thursday from 8PM to 12PM EST, let me know. We have a 4/7H raid going that needs more DPS. Usually a 13 or 14 person group, you may need to transfer to Frostmane or Ner'Zhul (server) for Mythics in the future. I am a tank in this raid.

If you need more people for your raids, you can create an account and post your events on OpenRaid. I use it all the time and it is much better that the in-game tool to find competent people. In-game is the only thing I use when I need people right now.

My warlock is 656 and 20K+ sustained DPS is still tricky to get, unless I can cleave against 2+ targets. Only did 15.5k on normal imperator last weekend.

Send me a message if you need a dps. I can come for a little bit from about 10-1AM EST, Ret Paladin.

I'm 669 and pull 25-30k dps, depending on the heroic boss. On Mythic Kargath attempts I was doing 34k.

I dont even need gear from heroics anymore, I just do them for stones now.

If you need more people for your raids, you can create an account and post your events on OpenRaid. I use it all the time and it is much better that the in-game tool to find competent people. In-game is the only thing I use when I need people right now.

My warlock is 656 and 20K+ sustained DPS is still tricky to get, unless I can cleave against 2+ targets. Only did 15.5k on normal imperator last weekend.

We got our first Imperator kill with some PUG DPS. I know 20K DPS endless is very hard on some fights, I was just throwing that out there as a baseline.

Send me a message if you need a dps. I can come for a little bit from about 10-1AM EST, Ret Paladin.

I'm 669 and pull 25-30k dps, depending on the heroic boss. On Mythic Kargath attempts I was doing 34k.

I dont even need gear from heroics anymore, I just do them for stones now.

I am Ocellaris#1324 on Battle.net, toss me yours in a PM if you want (I can't send a PM from the mobile site right now). I may hit you up around 10, I think we are loot whoring Normal starting around 8PM, we usually break around 9:50PM and then start playing again at 10PM for Heroics.

wow. some of you folk are seriously rocking...
my main, a mage, is 652 now, some of that from spending gold on BoE Heroics floating around.. lol. I try to make up for lack of skill with gear.

my guild is very casual, we've only raided 3 times I think, we're 2/7 normal I believe. Im ok with that. Im older now, and Ill never be hardcore enough again, reactions are slower, etc. and thats fine. I have fun and thats why I play.

it took me a while to find a rhythm with WoD as far as stuff to do, but I have 4 toons at 92+ now.. so.. just keeping up with the crystals, and resource gathering and CD's on professions.. is good.

Im probably one of the only ones that enjoyed the clarity of log on, do shadow pan, celestial s, etc dailies for rep that MoP had. I like some structure like that.

although it seems they really hammered the long term value of professions with WoD, or, maybe just simplified them.. I like that its easy now to grab all the professions, make sure you have enough toons with garrisons to generate resources, etc, and I can self sufficient in time with the professions.

got my first piece of highmaul raid gear from follower missions last weekend.. thats pretty cool too!

oh, but I will say.. blizzard SUCKS when it comes to quality of service, etc. sooo many having all kinds of issues. making money > delivering quality
quite a buggy release imho

I'm so bored with this game.. 3 toon's already 640 gear and just nothing really to do..

So you have all gold challenge modes done, all garrison achievements completed, all followers leveled to 655? :)

There is always something to do in the game if you want to.

So you have all gold challenge modes done, all garrison achievements completed, all followers leveled to 655?
There's an advantage to having your followers at 655? I stopped mine at 645.

(Honestly curious. Didn't know if there was another "tier".)

Almost all of mine are Epic 645 as well. I can't see any advantage to going higher since I can 100% all of the Highmaul Raid Missions anyway.

The actual game is pretty boring outside of PVP/Raiding. Im like 670 ilvl so anything out of the garrison except the mythic mission is COMPLETELY worthless and a waste of time.

The actual game is pretty boring outside of PVP/Raiding. Im like 670 ilvl so anything out of the garrison except the mythic mission is COMPLETELY worthless and a waste of time.

No kidding, I feel like gold is becoming worthless, so farming up gold or materials to get XYZ isn't even worth time now. I can make thousands a day now without even leaving the Garrison. I mostly just talk to people in guild chat and jump in circles around my Garrison now.

There are at least two achievement to get 10 & 20 followers above 651.
I don't think it gives any extra benefit to the mission success.
Maybe in 6.1 patch the follower levels will be bumped up for the next raid tier missions.

According to the WoWhead guide, being 1 ivl above the requirement can give a boost to success rate, so getting 646 at least seems to provide practical benefit now.

There's no real reason to push beyond 646. I'm slowly boosting mine to 654 (the highest you can go without wasting anything) because I'm more than maxed out at full 646. I dont think anything will change with BRF. BRF is Tier 1, and will probably require 645 missions too. However, whatever Tier 2 brings, I assume the ilvl will be 660 or 670.

I've heard there are ambitious plans for garrisons: stuff like defending against a world boss with followers. Who knows what will make it. For now continue recruiting dem epic mount followers and getting full coverage on counter abilities. In theory, to get full coverage, you'll want 3 of each counter combination (minus danger zones, thats what manual of dance is for). It's a little excessive to aim for that, but it is something to strive for over this expansion.

Assuming you're always covered for danger zones with manual of dance
8 choose 2 = 28 2-counter follower combinations. Multiply that by 3 you'll need 84 followers to counter every possible 3 follower mission. Highmaul raid is a much smaller subset, there's only 4 mission possibilities, but that doesnt guarantee other combinations will be needed in the future

Last edited:
the whole follower missions, gear, strategy... they are making wow ...a rts game?

ugh

Wondering if any of you other tanks are having this issue.

We banged our heads on Heroic Imp last night. Seems our d p s was low got him to sub 15% everytime but I just get Rekt. I am a Guardian Druid with 500k+ HP and it seems that d p s can't kill the adds fast enough. So when the casts his Mark of Chaos I now have the boss, big add plus all the little adds from the previous add and I just melt. Anyone else having the damage issue?

Wondering if any of you other tanks are having this issue.

We banged our heads on Heroic Imp last night. Seems our d p s was low got him to sub 15% everytime but I just get Rekt. I am a Guardian Druid with 500k+ HP and it seems that d p s can't kill the adds fast enough. So when the casts his Mark of Chaos I now have the boss, big add plus all the little adds from the previous add and I just melt. Anyone else having the damage issue?

You need an OT in this fight. The MT is not supposed to tank through a MoC. When you get MoC, your OT needs to taunt Imp off you and vice versa when he gets MoC.

Phases 1/2/4: Run away from the raid. For Phase 2 in particular turn left about 120 degrees and run and you will be far enough from the raid and other tank to be safe.
Phase 3: All melee/tank without debuff/etc run out to where ranged is, from the middle of the room to the outer ring is further than the range on the AoE damage.

So we are 2 tanking the fight. When the MoC comes out I taunt off him and he Heroic Leaps out to not cause any damage to anyone else. At that point in Phase 4 when I taunt off of him we have adds up and the boss and I just get crushed.

So we are 2 tanking the fight. When the MoC comes out I taunt off him and he Heroic Leaps out to not cause any damage to anyone else. At that point in Phase 4 when I taunt off of him we have adds up and the boss and I just get crushed.

I see. Are you allowing your Accelerated Assault stacks to get too high?

No since I taunt off him the stacks reset back to 0 when I start with him and the adds. Once the MoC expires on the other tank he jumps right back in and taunts off.

You guys are nuking the add(s) ASAP in P4, right? Or are you dying as the raid is doing that?

It sounds like not enough DPS is going on the remaining adds in the last phase for whatever the reason before they put too much damage on you.

I think our dps is the issue. Just wondering if there were any other tanks getting trucked or are their raid groups actually putting out good aoe damage. DPS comp is mage/lock/hunter/spriest/ret pally and moonkin. Other tank is a Prot War and I think I do the most AoE damage as a Guardian druid.

I looks like its a DPS issue, what kind of numbers are you pulling? I PUG him multiple times a week, so I see all kinds of strats.

The easiest gauge is if the small adds are dead before the next large abberation. If not, you dont have enough dps. All the succeses I've had in there, we AoE the replication adds slowly, but they die before the next large one comes up. People pull 22-28k dps over the fight.

I think our dps is the issue. Just wondering if there were any other tanks getting trucked or are their raid groups actually putting out good aoe damage. DPS comp is mage/lock/hunter/spriest/ret pally and moonkin. Other tank is a Prot War and I think I do the most AoE damage as a Guardian druid.

The tanks should be in very little danger of getting killed until phase 4, then in phase 4 the small adds can and will easily pop tanks. The adds can be CCed however, a couple stuns really cuts down in the damage the ranks receive from little add melee damage.

There's no real reason to push beyond 646. I'm slowly boosting mine to 654 (the highest you can go without wasting anything) because I'm more than maxed out at full 646. I dont think anything will change with BRF. BRF is Tier 1, and will probably require 645 missions too. However, whatever Tier 2 brings, I assume the ilvl will be 660 or 670.

PTR shows 660 item level requirements for follower BRF raid missions.
I highly recommend using Master Plan addon to track which followers to level up/upgrade for such missions.

Back