WoW; 5th expansion Warlords of Draenor

The whole leveling process in WoD is rather enjoyable. The quest hubs and chains all flow nicely and wrap up neatly. The best part is you're no longer fighting aginst your own faction to tag a mob for credit towards a quest. It actually encourages people to work together and not be douches. However, these garrison apexis shard dailies on the other hand...

with the battle chest sale I decided to jump in an give it a try. Horde on Area 52 if anyone is leveling a character there.

So what site is the go to these days to find out how you should build out your high level characters? Been about 3 yrs since i played and my old lvl 85 ret pally is struggling in its current cataclysm form.

The whole leveling process in WoD is rather enjoyable. The quest hubs and chains all flow nicely and wrap up neatly. The best part is you're no longer fighting aginst your own faction to tag a mob for credit towards a quest. It actually encourages people to work together and not be douches. However, these garrison apexis shard dailies on the other hand...

Use group finder. I do the group daily in 5 minutes with a Zerg raid.

Had a positive experience last night. I wanted to do my first dungeon but I was worried about using a pet, because I had heard it would draw aggro away from Tanks.

After asking this question in chat I got over 20 replies and whispers, all kindly explaining what I needed to turn off before going into a dungeon, and recommending that I should stay in Beast spec.

I was pleasantly suprised so many players immediately helped me. I thanked them in chat.

After reading the information and roles for each player in the dungeon journal I queued for my first dungeon (Skyreach). It was a very fun experience, beautiful dungeon too.

Last edited:
The best part is you're no longer fighting aginst your own faction to tag a mob for credit towards a quest. It actually encourages people to work together and not be douches.

This, so much this. Also the fact that a lot of items on the ground are unique to you. Meaning that just because that orc warrior picked the quest item up doesn't mean that you can't too. I leveled with a priest friend because she prefers to stay disc while leveling and being able to join in on other people's quest/rare mobs is just so amazing.

I remember when TBC came out and dots didn't instantly tag mobs, you had to do damage. There'd be 20 people waiting for a named mob to spawn for their quest and only they would get credit.

Had a positive experience last night. I wanted to do my first dungeon but I was worried about using a pet, because I had heard it would draw aggro away from Tanks.

After asking this question in chat I got over 20 replies and whispers, all kindly explaining what I needed to turn off before going into a dungeon, and recommending that I should stay in Beast spec.

I was pleasantly suprised so many players immediately helped me. I thanked them in chat.

After reading the information and roles for each player in the dungeon journal I queued for my first dungeon (Skyreach). It was a very fun experience, beautiful dungeon too.

I think most people can be helpful in chat if you are asking for info like that. If you had waited till the dungeon or in a raid people would be way more unpleasant. We had a hunter in molten core the other night who thought he couldn't turn off his pets taunt...and then another hunter left aspect of the pack on during the Rag fight till about 40% before he noticed everyone yelling about kicking all hunters from the raid if we wiped lol

Rogues are OP. Just did silver proven grounds with 590 gear, tried gold once and got to 4/10.

so.. they say the proving grounds scale with your iLvl. I did it.. but ya, it wasnt easy.

been 100 for a bit now. just going back to zones I had unfinished story lines with.. quest wise. just finishing Nagrand now. Im at iLvl 626 atm was disappointed that I fail at reading the fine print.. Im a tailor.. finally got enough hexweave cloth to build my 2 piece, but because Ive bought, traded for other Warlord Crafted gear, I couldn't put the slippers on my mage.. for the message.. "cant wear more than 3 pieces " grrr.

got a 635 wand, bought a 664 OH, and finally replaced my 626 heroic garry staff... and even put the Frostwolf enchant on it, etc. still.. the best I could do dps over the 10 mil life of a training dummy? 13.2k dps. disappointing.
so far.. its clear.. melee > caster dps. of course that will change Im sure.. I hope.. just the same, even at my best, my dps in heroics is bringing complaints form elitest jerk types..

they really changed the economy in this xpac. the wait times for resources.. is pretty high it seems.

at 100 with a teir 3 garrison.. ive struggled running missions vs building garrison resources to build out other stuff... finally added the lumber mill last night.. hoping that helps..

havent gotten my enchant or tailoring to 700 yet.. not enough resources. fishing 700 easy enough.. chasing the achieve to get the lvl 3 fishing hut..some were easy .. but some of the fish that require chasing pools per se.. more difficult.. to get the 100 enormous version. without flying.. extra hard. find pool.. equip pole.. fish pool.. get 3, look for another pool.. etc.. time consuming.

Im having to buy greens off the AH to d/e for draenic dust.. thats expensive and annoying. some reosurces.. like mine ore's.. I have too much.. some, like I need.. fur, dust.. struggle to keep up without just buying from asshole ripoff's on AH

just the same.. having fun mostly. leveling a warrior now for melee dps. arms you say? I thought Fury was better now?

fishing 700 easy enough.. chasing the achieve to get the lvl 3 fishing hut..some were easy .. but some of the fish that require chasing pools per se.. more difficult.. to get the 100 enormous version. without flying.. extra hard. find pool.. equip pole.. fish pool.. get 3, look for another pool.. etc.. time consuming.

Took me 30-45 minutes for each type of fish. I didn't have to go to the pools at all.

Squid hat plus 100 to fishing
Fishing pole that was plus 30, upgraded to plus 100 pole I fished up.
A lure/hook. Sometimes plus 75 sometimes plus 200.
And most importantly the bait for the fish type I wanted.

Except for sea scorpions I would get the enormous fish I was looking for 80-90% of the time. Sea scops seemed to be about 50-60% of the time. I fished in a few pools when they popped up but I just sat in one place in each zone for all them while waiting to get into dungeons. I did not hunt for pools at all.

Did half on Saturday and half on Sunday. New strider mount will have to wait. Not sure I can stand do anymore fishing for awhile.

I asked this earlier in the thread but people didn't really respond much.

Whatre your feelings towards the xpac? Is this like the original bad ass wow and the first xpac of goodness when the game was glorious? Have they made visual improvements besides the character models? What is your overall assessment ?

I asked this earlier in the thread but people didn't really respond much.

Whatre your feelings towards the xpac? Is this like the original bad ass wow and the first xpac of goodness when the game was glorious? Have they made visual improvements besides the character models? What is your overall assessment ?

It's pretty damn good.

The garrisons are awesome, the new dungeons are a lot harder and more awesome, visuals are a lot better, and you can get a core hound mount before January if you beat LFG molten core LFR. You need to be ilvl 615 to queue.

The Core Hound is pretty much worth it all.

Took me 30-45 minutes for each type of fish. I didn't have to go to the pools at all.

Squid hat plus 100 to fishing
Fishing pole that was plus 30, upgraded to plus 100 pole I fished up.
A lure/hook. Sometimes plus 75 sometimes plus 200.
And most importantly the bait for the fish type I wanted.

Except for sea scorpions I would get the enormous fish I was looking for 80-90% of the time. Sea scops seemed to be about 50-60% of the time. I fished in a few pools when they popped up but I just sat in one place in each zone for all them while waiting to get into dungeons. I did not hunt for pools at all.

Did half on Saturday and half on Sunday. New strider mount will have to wait. Not sure I can stand do anymore fishing for awhile.
ya.. if.. that big if.. ya got the right bait.. ok. as I still have a few species to finish for that achieve.. I wont bother chasing pools and just stick it out to get some bait. thanks for that infoz!

oh.. there is a new strider out there? I had the nat pagle version from mop... helpful.. that clicky raft is helpful from mop as well..

I hit item level 631 this past weekend, I'm ready for when they open up LFR.

ya.. if.. that big if.. ya got the right bait.. ok. as I still have a few species to finish for that achieve.. I wont bother chasing pools and just stick it out to get some bait. thanks for that infoz!

oh.. there is a new strider out there? I had the nat pagle version from mop... helpful.. that clicky raft is helpful from mop as well..

You need 950 fishing to have 100% enormous fish.

Possible sources:
Pole: +30/40/100
Lure: +100/150/200
Hat: +10/100
Boots: 5/15
Glove Enchant: 2/3/5
Fishing Line on PERMANENT POLES(aka, don't use fishing lines on the temporary poles, you'll lose it.): 2/3/5

And bait is very important as well as location until you have said bait.

Eels: Inland Spires of Arak
Blind Sturgeons: Inland waters of SMV
Fish Ammonite: Inland lava of FFR
Fat Sleeper: Inland waters of Nagrand
Jawless Skulker: Inland waters of Gorgrond
Sea Scorpions: Open water

Key part is the inland section for the types of fish. Not sure if you'll catch the right bait fishing elsewhere. I think if you do fishing in Garrison it's random what kind of bait you'll get. Otherwise if you're in said location, you'll always get bait of that particular fish.

The ilevel requirement is 630 I believe.

635 actually. You could hover over the LFR raid to see before the servers went down for maintenance.

no LFR this week, thats next week. This week normal and Mythic raids are open at 11am pst.

635 actually. You could hover over the LFR raid to see before the servers went down for maintenance.

no LFR this week, thats next week. This week normal and Mythic raids are open at 11am pst.

Thanks for correcting me.

So 635 is for a LFR Highmaul raid? I'm curious, what are the requirements for normal and mythic?

You need 950 fishing to have 100% enormous fish.

Possible sources:
Pole: +30/40/100
Lure: +100/150/200
Hat: +10/100
Boots: 5/15
Glove Enchant: 2/3/5
Fishing Line on PERMANENT POLES(aka, don't use fishing lines on the temporary poles, you'll lose it.): 2/3/5

And bait is very important as well as location until you have said bait.

Eels: Inland Spires of Arak
Blind Sturgeons: Inland waters of SMV
Fish Ammonite: Inland lava of FFR
Fat Sleeper: Inland waters of Nagrand
Jawless Skulker: Inland waters of Gorgrond
Sea Scorpions: Open water

Key part is the inland section for the types of fish. Not sure if you'll catch the right bait fishing elsewhere. I think if you do fishing in Garrison it's random what kind of bait you'll get. Otherwise if you're in said location, you'll always get bait of that particular fish.
jeesh... this is madness! all to catch virtual fucking fish! thanks for the helpful info

635? man.. they are definitely upping the bar it seems... so.. full heroic or better... with 40+ min queues for dps =(

Wtf??? I thought it was like ilvl 625.... damnit.

Highmaul is an imposing stretch of ogre-controlled territory located within Nagrand. The Highmaul Raid contains seven bosses, three of which are optional: The Butcher, Tectus, and Brackenspore. Players will need a minimum Item Level of 615 to enter the ogres’ domain Raid Finder.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/16863396/warlords-of-draenor-journey-into-highmaul-11-20-2014

I dont think there's a gear requirement for normal/heroic/mythic. That's going to be set by the community/guild/trade chat.

LFR rewards 640 gear, each difficuly increment is +15 ilvls.

as soon as I think I am out they pull me back in !!

yeah I bought it... I suck at wow now though... game does look a lot better now especially the new zones.

do people pretty much just hang out in their garrisons now?

as soon as I think I am out they pull me back in !!

yeah I bought it... I suck at wow now though... game does look a lot better now especially the new zones.

do people pretty much just hang out in their garrisons now?

I mean...I don't, personally. There isn't THAT much to do, once you mine and gather the herbs, and send out your followers. I'm mostly farming gear and grabbing various achievements/mounts/pets/etc.

635 might be hard to get, but possible if you get the legendary ring.

I have full heroics except the shield.

I got my DK up to 100. Ran a couple dungeons. Realized that I just plain don't like the DK play style anymore. So I created a Panda monk. Played through all the low level content. Rather enjoyed it. Paid to have that character boosted to 90. Tried to solo Ony as a tank.

62 minutes later, I switched back to my Paladin.

Panda tanking can die in a fire. Only having two moves which can attack at range, and both of them are on a heck of a cooldown? Yeah. Screw that. (Although, once I hit about 35% HP, I was damned near invincible. That was nice.)

Now I'm taking my 85 PLD through all the MoP content. It's really, really nice now that it's dead and empty. I read the quests, laugh at the jokes, and don't concern myself with racing to the endgame. The whole zone seems to revolve around the "slow down and enjoy life" concept, which I approve of. I figure I'll hit 90, get my panda flying bit, and then run around maxing my panda rep before going on to the new stuff and quests I've already done. My DK can just sit at 100 farming old raid mounts once a week, and I don't know that I'll ever play the monk again.

So yeah, I bought Warlords only to end up enjoying Pandaria. Weird, eh?

My ilvl is currently 638 for tanking.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/uther/Deliverer/simple

Full heroic dungeon gear only will get you 630. There are ways to push above it reliably.

• Legendary quest will get you a 640 ring
  • 5k apexis crysals and some quests upgrades it to 680 ring
  • If you've done the apexis dailies alone, you should have enough by now to buy one piece in ashran and upgrade it to 645.
  • daily crafting mats should get you a 640 piece by now, either multiple pieces or upgrade one to 655.
  • Molten core will reward you with a 640 helmet.
  • Now that highmaul is out, technically you can grind apexis forever and get many 655 pieces. It is very slow so not recommended.

Some RNG based way for upgrades past 630
  • Lucky warforged versions of heroic can drop putting you to 636 on some pieces.
  • BoE drops, or buying them.
  • 645 gear from ilvl 630 follower missions (these can be warforged too).

Again, you only need 615 ilvl for LFR to start getting the 640 gear

So is there any way to reliably get Conquest Points without doing Arenas or Rated Battlegrounds?

I like to world pvp, 1v1, and like to be able to defend myself while out fishing or mining.

Don't need to even bother to mine outside the garrison, and after a few quests even fish outside the garrison.

If you don't do Arenas or RBGs why do you need conquest gear?

Some people enjoy the more casual PVP aspect of the game. I personally like doing random BGs with my friends (or atleast I used to before alliance won every single game) and roaming around ashran looking for group vs. group fights.

I think the highmaul arena (FFA arena) would be decent for getting some CP, and supposedly even ashran has a few ways of awarding conquest points.

How are professions in WoD? I've only got access to WoW sites at home and haven't had much time to research things. From what I've heard, JC is pretty limited (not many gem slots on gear) and there's not much profit opportunity in most of the professions. Also heard mention that there's a limit to only wearing 3 crafted items?

I managed to read a bit on the forums and there seemed to be a number of complaints with professions in general with use of daily cooldowns to somewhat gate the professions. Honestly it sounds like professions are somewhat worthless outside crafting yourself a small bit of gear but I'm trying not to jump to conclusions.

Honestly it sounds like professions are somewhat worthless outside crafting yourself a small bit of gear but I'm trying not to jump to conclusions.
That's my feeling, too. Craft what you can, sell it on the AH for a massive profit, get your real gear from dungeons. There's no longer an advantage to having one craft over another. The mine and flower places in your garrison basically made herbalism and mining worthless, since they give you as good or better drops than the nodes do. (Mine a node in the starting zone, get 0.6 ore. Yes, zero-point-six. Mine a node in your garrison, get 3 ore.) Prices for ore and herbs are rock bottom.

That's my feeling, too. Craft what you can, sell it on the AH for a massive profit, get your real gear from dungeons. There's no longer an advantage to having one craft over another. The mine and flower places in your garrison basically made herbalism and mining worthless, since they give you as good or better drops than the nodes do. (Mine a node in the starting zone, get 0.6 ore. Yes, zero-point-six. Mine a node in your garrison, get 3 ore.) Prices for ore and herbs are rock bottom.

Good to know. It sounds like Blizzard didn't do nearly as much with crafting as the focus was on garrison implementation. I'm wondering if they're going to adjust that as this expansion goes on. The old system was far better than this.

I've been looking at coming back but will most likely end up starting fresh on a new server to instant-90 a toon as I don't feel like paying the cash to server transfer and don't have any that made 90 anyway. I'll just mail off the cash/BoA heirloom gear to the new account and level some alts that way.

With an instant 90, I won't have professions and was wondering if it was worth it (or do they have some sort of instant profession boost as well? I haven't kept up). Sounds like it might be a spare time thing at best but I'd probably put my spare time into leveling an alt.

I was 2 pieces of 651 heroic warforged epics from savage creates, 645 robes from a mission. i had, had, a change to get 645 shoulders from a mission but i didn't have that many followers 630 or more, i just had one at the time.

630 missions are worth it, savage is worth it.

Back