WoW; 4th expansion Mists of Pandaria

[H]Feng down.. but alas... my experiment with this guild shall be done.. for whatever reason.. I apparently miss something about playing a mage.. and 80k is just not good enough at this level.. and I get that.. no hard feelings from me.. glad they gave me a chance...

done with trying to push myself and seeing end game... I play to have fun.. and have a very busy life..

so.. I moved my Mage to the PVE server... ended up joining a interesting guild [Grumpy Old Horde].. a bunch old in RL players like.. that raid.. calmly.. and arent elitists...

so.. Im looking forward to some fun raiding.. low expectations.. and not having to sweat why my 80k dps isn't good enough and I must get to 100k... lol

Ive accepted.. I just dont play well enough to run with the best. Im decent in the mediocre range =) and Im ok with that. still like to raid anyway.. even if its not heroic level etc..

been enjoying playing my old pally PROT.. never tanked in wow.. and thats been fun...

iirc 5.2 is next week? and they are removing the Upgrade vendor..but wont be rolling back previously purchased item upgrades.. so..need to try to weasel 2 upgrades this week.. as there isnt any more gear to buy atm with vp..

and after jumping from fire to frost to arcane to frost..etc.. Im just sticking with frost..and get the finer nuances down better..even if it isnt cutting edge atm...

so.. I moved my Mage to the PVE server... ended up joining a interesting guild [Grumpy Old Horde].. a bunch old in RL players like.. that raid.. calmly.. and arent elitists...

so.. Im looking forward to some fun raiding.. low expectations.. and not having to sweat why my 80k dps isn't good enough and I must get to 100k... lol

Ive accepted.. I just dont play well enough to run with the best. Im decent in the mediocre range =) and Im ok with that. still like to raid anyway.. even if its not heroic level etc..

been enjoying playing my old pally PROT.. never tanked in wow.. and thats been fun...

iirc 5.2 is next week? and they are removing the Upgrade vendor..but wont be rolling back previously purchased item upgrades.. so..need to try to weasel 2 upgrades this week.. as there isnt any more gear to buy atm with vp..

and after jumping from fire to frost to arcane to frost..etc.. Im just sticking with frost..and get the finer nuances down better..even if it isnt cutting edge atm...

Are you still mouse clicking? You will gain DPS using the keyboard.

Got my druid to 49 today. Id like to hit valor cap before 5.2 but in the same regard I'm thinking maybe I'll take a break and level the druid.

I never understood why games require the keyboard for maximum dps and then make the default UI so that it's easier to click.. Why not set the UI so that it's easy to type from the beginning? Or in the case of WoW, why isn't there at least a second UI that automatically arranges the game for typing commands? It always annoyed me that I had to spend hours figuring out what works well, when the developer could have had an alternative setup available from the beginning.

I never understood why games require the keyboard for maximum dps and then make the default UI so that it's easier to click.. Why not set the UI so that it's easy to type from the beginning? Or in the case of WoW, why isn't there at least a second UI that automatically arranges the game for typing commands? It always annoyed me that I had to spend hours figuring out what works well, when the developer could have had an alternative setup available from the beginning.

I never had issues with how the UI was built, personally anyway. I only ever use the keyboard for combat, and the mouse basically only gets used when I have to move stuff around in bags or on the AH, or to click on people to inspect them. Heh. :cool:

It is an issue of efficiency. When you are using the keyboard for primary abilities, that also means you are free to use the mouse for optimal movement (because you can use the mouse AND keyboard to move while also hammering out abilities with other keys). With some practice, keyboard users can pull of moves and ability combos that are impossible to someone only using the mouse for abilities.

I never had issues with how the UI was built, personally anyway. I only ever use the keyboard for combat, and the mouse basically only gets used when I have to move stuff around in bags or on the AH, or to click on people to inspect them. Heh. :cool:

Yea, but most people don't like pressing 1 - = to play. That's why they click. :)

Yea, but most people don't like pressing 1 - = to play. That's why they click. :)

But then they get thrown out of a raid or cause a wipe because they're reaction time is reduced two fold. ;)

It's just easier to hit 1-5 while walking around using ESDF or WASD. IMO anyway.

I use the entire left side of my keyboard for skill bindings. WASD are the regular movement commands but Q and E got rebound to skill keys. As did Z X C V F R T G, F1-F5. I keep all my long cooldowns on F1-F5 so I don't accidentally hit them while spamming.

I then have an alternate set of hotkeys bound to Shift + 1-5,Q-R, A-D. Totals something like 40 hotkeys without having to move my hand off of WASD.

I have bartender set up to mirror the physical layout of my keyboard on screen ( in a 4x6 grid) so it's pretty quick to learn. I also have it set to pressing shift automatically switches the top toolbar to another page (which is how I do the extra set of bindings) and gives visual feedback when the shift key is held down.

I use the entire left side of my keyboard for skill bindings. WASD are the regular movement commands but Q and E got rebound to skill keys. As did Z X C V F R T G, F1-F5. I keep all my long cooldowns on F1-F5 so I don't accidentally hit them while spamming.

I then have an alternate set of hotkeys bound to Shift + 1-5,Q-R, A-D. Totals something like 40 hotkeys without having to move my hand off of WASD.

You are a true champion of the people. :D

I have bartender set up to mirror the physical layout of my keyboard on screen ( in a 4x6 grid) so it's pretty quick to learn. I also have it set to pressing shift automatically switches the top toolbar to another page (which is how I do the extra set of bindings) and gives visual feedback when the shift key is held down.

Same here

I use 1-5. Then
6 =e
7 =V
8 = Back mouse button
9 = forward mouse
0 = middle mouse
- = z
= = q

Then bar 2 is laid out the same but using Shift + 1-5 e,v
Bar 3 is similar but cntl + 1-5, e, v etc etc.

Makes it super simple because wow lets you bind everything. Never understood people who just click. And yeah, bartender is the best. I'll post a screenshot of my UI later.

superfly.. please do post a ss.. that may help me overcome my clicking

and drakenfeng.. Ill check out the bartender for a tool to learn to use kb better

superfly.. please do post a ss.. that may help me overcome my clicking

and drakenfeng.. Ill check out the bartender for a tool to learn to use kb better

Take the 5 most common abilities in your rotation, set those to 1-6 on the keyboard. Force yourself to use those buttons and things will come around pretty quickly. Once you get comfortable with that, start using F1 - F4 of using ALT/CTRL modifies to add even more abilities. With some practice, eventually it all ends up in muscle memory. Then you can throw in keys like Q, E, R, X as needed. Once you get the first set of abilities down and stop using the mouse for those, the hard part is done.

For using something like Bartender (easily...), take cooldowns and such, put them one one bar, make it semi transparent, then put that bar under your character's feet. Then gives you access to cooldowns without moving the mouse all the way to the bottom of the screen. Bartender sort of sucks at first if you haven't used a bar mod before, however it isn't that hard to figure out.

Take the 5 most common abilities in your rotation, set those to 1-6 on the keyboard. Force yourself to use those buttons and things will come around pretty quickly. Once you get comfortable with that, start using F1 - F4 of using ALT/CTRL modifies to add even more abilities. With some practice, eventually it all ends up in muscle memory. Then you can throw in keys like Q, E, R, X as needed. Once you get the first set of abilities down and stop using the mouse for those, the hard part is done.

For using something like Bartender (easily...), take cooldowns and such, put them one one bar, make it semi transparent, then put that bar under your character's feet. Then gives you access to cooldowns without moving the mouse all the way to the bottom of the screen. Bartender sort of sucks at first if you haven't used a bar mod before, however it isn't that hard to figure out.

I cant stand F keys. They require me to move my wrist and hands too much to get to it, or that I just cant find a good way to use it without straining. I also do Shift + Number, and the regular ones are 1-5 for me. I always try to keep my key strokes as short as possible. I moved my 2 most common attacks to the 2 side mouse buttons so there is no keystroke for that.

thanks guys.. I also bought a naga mouse.. might just try to force myself to learn to use that.. start with most common attacks / abilities.. then add to it..

I use a Nostromo n52. Granted, that limits the number of keys I can use, since I use it for WASD as well.

I'd suggest learning to use the keyboard instead of an "mmo mouse". Most people I've talked to that use them only end up using around 4 side buttons because it's too difficult to accurately press them - especially the lower ones in the naga. Other general complaints are accidentally pressing buttons while moving the mouse / gripping. Pressing buttons on the side also messes with your accuracy/aim. Not only that it severely limits the type of mice you will be comfortable using. What happens when it breaks and there's nothing to replace it with if the mmo mouse fad dies out?

Same general problem with gamepads like the G13 / nostromo. I used those for several years and never really felt like there were enough buttons on them. Then I had to spend several months relearning how to play using a regular keyboard. Also, there are no gamepads that use mechanical keys (that I'm aware of); both the G13 and Nostromo have horribly squishy keys. Never mind the thumb stick on the G13 being terrible.

Anyway, here's a screenshot of my current UI on my Garalon kill. I run a minimum of mods - the built in party and raid frames are actually usable now (they were complete garbage in the past). I don't even need to use DBM because the game itself announces major raid warnings now.

http://imageshack.us/f/812/wowscrnshot022013215802.jpg/

He literally died midair doing the enrage crush; 2 seconds later and we would have wiped. I had to tank in DPS spec for us to get enough DPS on this fight.

painol.png

I'd suggest learning to use the keyboard instead of an "mmo mouse". Most people I've talked to that use them only end up using around 4 side buttons because it's too difficult to accurately press them - especially the lower ones in the naga. Other general complaints are accidentally pressing buttons while moving the mouse / gripping. Pressing buttons on the side also messes with your accuracy/aim. Not only that it severely limits the type of mice you will be comfortable using. What happens when it breaks and there's nothing to replace it with if the mmo mouse fad dies out?

Same general problem with gamepads like the G13 / nostromo. I used those for several years and never really felt like there were enough buttons on them. Then I had to spend several months relearning how to play using a regular keyboard. Also, there are no gamepads that use mechanical keys (that I'm aware of); both the G13 and Nostromo have horribly squishy keys. Never mind the thumb stick on the G13 being terrible.

Anyway, here's a screenshot of my current UI on my Garalon kill. I run a minimum of mods - the built in party and raid frames are actually usable now (they were complete garbage in the past). I don't even need to use DBM because the game itself announces major raid warnings now.

http://imageshack.us/f/812/wowscrnshot022013215802.jpg/

He literally died midair doing the enrage crush; 2 seconds later and we would have wiped. I had to tank in DPS spec for us to get enough DPS on this fight.

I had the Naga for like a month or two...I liked the feel of it, but I just couldn't stand a few things about it, namely how at best, I could only use the front 4-5 buttons and the rest gave me carpal tunnel like pain when trying to reach for them, it was pure anus milk...also probably not a good idea in the long run anyway to try to reach them as you'll probably speed up the carpal tunnel process, hah. Not to mention that gunk kept getting into the buttons, it was really disgusting looking by the end of week 2 or so. A regular Razer mouse, or any other mouse with just the back/forward buttons is much better overall.

I'd invest in a proper mechanical keyboard as well, as they're just overall nicer to play on, and the feedback is much appreciated over the soft presses that regular keyboards tend to use. I'm personally using a CM Storm, great keyboard for $70'ish bucks, plus it's got sexy red LED's as well, can't beat that.

I could only use the front 4-5 buttons and the rest gave me carpal tunnel like pain when trying to reach for them, it was pure anus milk...also probably not a good idea in the long run anyway to try to reach them as you'll probably speed up the carpal tunnel process, hah. Not to mention that gunk kept getting into the buttons, it was really disgusting looking by the end of week 2 or so. A regular Razer mouse, or any other mouse with just the back/forward buttons is much better overall.
ROFLz

ok.. ya.. your all probably right.. just frickin l2p the KB way!

thanks guys =)

NEVER get a Naga Epic. Spent $140 after taxes on it and I had to return it twice and twice I got a mouse that a core functionality: Wireless NEVER worked. Pissed me off so bad. Also the Razer Nostromo pissed me off even worse. It would have key rollover problems like none other. I have tried 2 razer products in the last month and NONE of them worked right. Also the Synapse is nice BUT it is really spotty. Seriously playing with the KB using E,R,X,F,Q and then shift and num keys like 1-5 will get you through almost all of the things you will ever need then forward and backward on the mouse.

NEVER get a Naga Epic. Spent $140 after taxes on it and I had to return it twice and twice I got a mouse that a core functionality: Wireless NEVER worked. Pissed me off so bad. Also the Razer Nostromo pissed me off even worse. It would have key rollover problems like none other. I have tried 2 razer products in the last month and NONE of them worked right. Also the Synapse is nice BUT it is really spotty. Seriously playing with the KB using E,R,X,F,Q and then shift and num keys like 1-5 will get you through almost all of the things you will ever need then forward and backward on the mouse.

I try to stay away from all their other shit, but the Death Adder (had one before, now a new one) has always served me well.

I can see how this might work if you're a caster type, but how in the world would you make this work with a rogue or other melee dps?

@superfly:
What is the 33 above your name in the screen cap above?

I can see how this might work if you're a caster type, but how in the world would you make this work with a rogue or other melee dps?

Your hand is good at multitasking. Should be able to hit two movement keys and one ability without much of a problem.

@superfly:
What is the 33 above your name in the screen cap above?

Fraps, how many frames per second the games going at. It's not a mod an outside program that does that on any game you play.

Using the keyboard as any class will increase your dps. It's simple reaction time stuff.

Well I can say I miss raiding seriously sometimes. My play hours are so late these days LFR is all I have. I got into a group for the new raid today and we couldn't even down the first boss. Got him to like 70%. Hydraxis is a really terrible server.

so.. 5.2 meh..

the new zone is a pita.. with insane mob density.. blah blah..

looking forward to the first lfr of the new raid.. thats about it.. otherwise..

Im playing PoE more now..

I don't like the mob density in 5.2 think they could have run with 3/4 of the mobs and it would have been great.

Just got a text from a buddy of mine. He said to check my mail when I get on tonight. Pretty sure he bought me a tome of the lost legion today. So green fire soon enough!

I don't like the mob density in 5.2 think they could have run with 3/4 of the mobs and it would have been great.

Just got a text from a buddy of mine. He said to check my mail when I get on tonight. Pretty sure he bought me a tome of the lost legion today. So green fire soon enough!

Looks like they they definitely intended to have people roaming those areas in groups. Some of those areas respawn faster than I can kill an entire set of mobs.

Isle of Thunder is definitely a pain with how packed the mobs are. Add in all the people training to get to rares and chests to get keys to the thunder trove solo scenario, and it can be agitating as hell.

Isle of Thunder is definitely a pain with how packed the mobs are. Add in all the people training to get to rares and chests to get keys to the thunder trove solo scenario, and it can be agitating as hell.

Do the pvp dailies. Takes about 10 minutes vs 3 hubs in different areas and 4 quest each per hub. Usually takes me about 40 minutes to do the pve ones.

So they are changing PVP gear yet again and stats yet again to make it "easier for casual players". Sad.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/9331806/PvP_Gear_in_Patch_53-3_25_2013

Incoming 5.3 Gear Changes
With all of this in mind, we’re making some pretty dramatic changes to PvP gear and the PvP environment in 5.3:

Base Resilience will be set to 65% for all characters level 85 and higher
Resilience will be removed from nearly all PvP gear
Players will still be able to use Resilience gems and enchants
PvP power will remain exclusively on PvP gear
PvP set bonuses that currently provide Resilience will now provide PvP Power
Healers and hybrid-casters will benefit to a greater degree from PvP Power, and Battle Fatigue will increase to make PvP gear superior for healers.
Conquest gear will be increased to item level 496 (up from 493).
Elite gear will be decreased to item level 496. This gear will essentially become a prestige upgrade.
The Big Change: We will be adding an item level ceiling to all gear in unrated Battlegrounds, Rated Battlegrounds and Arenas
All gear with item levels higher than 496 will be scaled down to 496 (Conquest gear item level). This includes even Conquest items that exceed the ilevel ceiling, such as weapons.
In addition, some of the changes that we’ve discussed previously will also be implemented:

In patches that don’t include a new season (including patch 5.3), the seasonal currency requirement of 7,250 Conquest Points earned will be lifted from weapons. The seasonal currency requirement must always be met to purchase Elite items, though.
Once the 27,000 Conquest Point seasonal currency requirement is reached, players will be able to purchase Tyrannical Gladiator’s gear with Honor Points.
The Conquest Point catch up cap will be introduced. You can read our PvP Gear in 5.2 and Beyond blog for more information on these changes.

I haven't played in months but its sad to see some of these changes yet again shaft any kind of true depth to the PVP.

Will this even please the casual audience?

It is so sad isn't it? so sad that blizzard wants to keep 90% of their player base, what scumbags

Yeah fucking elite PVPers is not the way to go just to get more PVE people in PVP. Really scratching my head on how they came up with this.

And I saw this little tidbit on the 5.3 patch notes:

Bonus Roll
Protection for bad luck streaks have been added to bonus rolls. Each bonus roll that does not provide loot has a progressively better chance to award loot to the player.

lol

Back