WoW; 4th expansion Mists of Pandaria

If you only knew ;)

Mine tries to watch, but I tell her to get out. I don't like her watching me geek it out with thousands of strangers, haha.

WoW = doomed to be alone for eternity. Ah, the same garbage ass comment that's been alive since EQ. Seriously...? I wonder why that's the case, but yet when someone gets a bad-ass car and fixes it from rags to riches and never sees the light of day for months, he's a "the man"...He built a car, and another guy played a game. And the whole money-factor thing is the biggest load of bullshit on earth. The money he spent over the course of playing the one game equals, if not less, than what was spent on other games over the course of a year or more. Unreal that this shit still persists.

Also my GF loved watching me play WoW, and even made her own character just for fun, though she was interested more in making the character look pretty then blowing things up. She'd much rather watch me play a single-player game with a deep story.

I tried to get my gf to play but she wasn't having it. I think she got to level 3 then quit. I almost tried forcing her to play, hahaha. Didn't happen.

I tried to get my gf to play but she wasn't having it. I think she got to level 3 then quit. I almost tried forcing her to play, hahaha. Didn't happen.

I think if mine had more time (she works full time and is going for her Masters) would definitely play, but when that time comes, something new will be out. Hopefully then I can convince her to join the dark side.

my wife plays silly games.. FB carp.. have tried to get her into Eq back in the day.. then wow.. then SWTOR.. etc. she says she's not interested.
Im thinking about buying her GW2.. maybe she dig that...and since there's no sub...

lol @ people who waste their time and money on this game.

GO OUT you damn virgins :D

Can't tell if serious...

Then there's always the fact that a $15/month sub keeps me from buying new release games once or twice a month. The months where I haven't had an active WoW sub are actually 4-5 times more expensive than the months where I'm playing. $15/mo for unlimited monthly play sure beats the cost of a new game for a 10 hour SP campaign. And that assumes I only play 10 hours a month.

Can't tell if serious...

Then there's always the fact that a $15/month sub keeps me from buying new release games once or twice a month. The months where I haven't had an active WoW sub are actually 4-5 times more expensive than the months where I'm playing. $15/mo for unlimited monthly play sure beats the cost of a new game for a 10 hour SP campaign. And that assumes I only play 10 hours a month.

Yep, I wasn't sure whether to be angry or in a pitying manner that people are so stupid.

I think if mine had more time (she works full time and is going for her Masters) would definitely play, but when that time comes, something new will be out. Hopefully then I can convince her to join the dark side.

Mine just thinks it's too nerdy, ha. But supposedly thinks my nerdy side is "cute". *confused eyes*

lol @ people who waste their time and money on this game.

GO OUT you damn virgins :D

I know no one will believe me but def got head while playing WoW in college. She wanted to test my healing skills. Everyone died. Many times.

Mine just thinks it's too nerdy, ha. But supposedly thinks my nerdy side is "cute". *confused eyes*

Women. :rolleyes:

TheCowOfNow said:
I know no one will believe me but def got head while playing WoW in college. She wanted to test my healing skills. Everyone died. Many times.

I'll believe you. It's not that hard to believe for those of us who aren't complete social pariah's and actually have people in our lives because we like to interact with people outside of games, y'know. ;)

FWIW, the everyone dying part is hilarious.

I'm seriously curious about this love-hate WoW thing. From someone who has never played a single minute of WoW, I'm clearly missing something. All I have heard was that it used to be a really great game and somewhere along the line it took a nose dive. And the word recently seemed like everyone was done with it. Even before this latest expansion.

Well, from what I see on the interwebs, it appears to be doing just fine. So what gives? Is there some guilty indulgence associated with this game? Like people play it and enjoy and just don't like admitting it or whatever. Something like doing a fat chick but she gives good head type of thing?

I'm seriously curious about this love-hate WoW thing. From someone who has never played a single minute of WoW, I'm clearly missing something. All I have heard was that it used to be a really great game and somewhere along the line it took a nose dive. And the word recently seemed like everyone was done with it. Even before this latest expansion.

Well, from what I see on the interwebs, it appears to be doing just fine. So what gives? Is there some guilty indulgence associated with this game? Like people play it and enjoy and just don't like admitting it or whatever. Something like doing a fat chick but she gives good head type of thing?

I'm one of those people. I play it for 3- 4 months and enjoy the hell out of it then all of a sudden, It gets very boring and i move on to something else. Then i come back 6months later and play again for a few months, get bored, etc etc.

I'm one of those people. I play it for 3- 4 months and enjoy the hell out of it then all of a sudden, It gets very boring and i move on to something else. Then i come back 6months later and play again for a few months, get bored, etc etc.

It is something to that nature, but I find myself playing for even longer. I recently "quit", a few months back, but it's beckoning again. Casual of course.

I'd recommend trying it out, no better time than now, especially with all the leveling content there is to do.

Well, the cool thing to do is hate on WoW.

In my opinion, the problem is more with elitism than anything else. It's like anyone who raided to BWL and beyond in vanilla feel they're special, so they felt betrayed when Blizzard made the end-game content accessible to everyone capable of getting a toon to max level.

In disclosure, my guild cleared BWL and most of AQ40, and I did Naxx a few times as a fill-in for another raid. At that time, I was raiding 6 days a week between my rogue and mage. The point is, I don't share that feeling. I think it's great that Blizz opened up the game to more people, because if they didn't, I wouldn't be seeing it.

I no longer want to raid 3-4 nights/week for 4 hours a night for progression. I don't want to spend as long or even longer farming dreamfoil for flasks and essences for spellpower enchants or living essence for nature resist gear. Blizzard has managed to make an easy version of all content (LFR) as well as more difficult / involved fights of the same bosses for the hardcores (heroics). They added LFD for those of us without a wide circle of friends or guilds or whatever, but gave challenge modes to those with static 5mans looking for a challenge. They added gear currency to dailies for people who don't want to run dungeons.

All they did was expand the options to cover more of the playerbase than just the hardcores, and now all the sudden WoW suxxorz and everyone quits.

I take a few months off here and there, but usually come back for major patch releases. New content is always enjoyable for a while. It's fun to see, fun to talk to people that do the same. Yes, cross-realm zones and the cross-server queues have taken away the community feel to a lot of it, that is, unless you have a close-knit guild in which it doesn't really matter anyway.

In my opinion, the problem is more with elitism than anything else. It's like anyone who raided to BWL and beyond in vanilla feel they're special, so they felt betrayed when Blizzard made the end-game content accessible to everyone capable of getting a toon to max level.

In disclosure, my guild cleared BWL and most of AQ40, and I did Naxx a few times as a fill-in for another raid. At that time, I was raiding 6 days a week between my rogue and mage. The point is, I don't share that feeling. I think it's great that Blizz opened up the game to more people, because if they didn't, I wouldn't be seeing it.

I no longer want to raid 3-4 nights/week for 4 hours a night for progression. I don't want to spend as long or even longer farming dreamfoil for flasks and essences for spellpower enchants or living essence for nature resist gear. Blizzard has managed to make an easy version of all content (LFR) as well as more difficult / involved fights of the same bosses for the hardcores (heroics). They added LFD for those of us without a wide circle of friends or guilds or whatever, but gave challenge modes to those with static 5mans looking for a challenge. They added gear currency to dailies for people who don't want to run dungeons.

All they did was expand the options to cover more of the playerbase than just the hardcores, and now all the sudden WoW suxxorz and everyone quits.

I take a few months off here and there, but usually come back for major patch releases. New content is always enjoyable for a while. It's fun to see, fun to talk to people that do the same. Yes, cross-realm zones and the cross-server queues have taken away the community feel to a lot of it, that is, unless you have a close-knit guild in which it doesn't really matter anyway.

Well said man. It's all for the better.

Yeah thanks for that explanation. Even though I didn't understand a lot of the WoW verbage/terminology, it definitely puts a lot of what I've heard into context. I mean, there seems to be plenty of hate and none of it is ever explained or legitamized.

LOL, best line in the article

They're offering a service that I could easily say "no" to -- nobody is pointing a grenade dildo at my ass and making me give them money.

Great post! I too.. @50 in RL, dont have the time or interest to raid like I did in EQ1 or Vanilla Wow... I do like that more content is open to more people..like me, just got my first VP 489 gear from Klaxxi...and almost , FINALLY, revered with Golden Lotus to open Shado Pan and August Celestial.. =)

I also did the grind to level my tailoring to 600 over the weekend.. from 125... lol.. including farming alot of my own mats....

FPS get boring for me.. especially once the hax0rz pwn it.. no use even completing.. WOW fills a better long term void for me..

besides.. I have an obsessive mind. I'm understand it, I work with it. i have to point those unused obsessive cpu cycles at something.. wow is a great way to do that...grinding dailies, that next piece of VP gear, etc.. my dps is kicking 60k these days as a fire mage.. w00t..

Oh boo hoo, so everyone should get a ribbon just for participating? No.

This kind of life lesson teaches people to be weak and lazy. No matter what they do or don't do they will still get the same reward as someone who put in the time and effort.

This kind of life lesson teaches people to be weak and lazy. No matter what they do or don't do they will still get the same reward as someone who put in the time and effort.

d00d.. wtf? really? some faux borg bs? ya.. the watering down from absurd difficult to manageable IN A GAME...is part of the liberal gay agenda

/facepalm

You hit the nail on the head with the player bases being older and having children/less time now, but that just stagnates new growth. I think you are missing the point where people back in the day no matter how much time they had really couldn't do BWL. Some of the fights were just so hard that if someone messed up it wiped your raid. You needed teamwork down to a T, but when you got there the feeling was awesome and repeatable in most cases.

Now it is just simon says. Tank goes here, healing goes here, don't get hit by this. There is no "oh fuck how do we deal with that core hound guy, well can someone kite him mechanic".

Normally, ok.

In a game setting? No. Make that fuck no.

Relax, it's for fun, not for going after the Nobel Peace prize.

People that like the old WoW are just upset because things aren't OMFG difficult/time consuming anymore and since they wasted all the time-effort to achieve it they're butt hurt that now it's easier so now it's not just the l33t of the elite that can see it.

I swear, if I made an MMO where it take literally a million hours to get the best gear, fight the best bosses, etc. I'm sure they'd be all over it.

WoW still has 10 MILLION subscribers.

And I guess you think that spending millions of dollars making content that 98% of people will never see except in a Youtube is money well spent.

First off, it's not the same reward. That's like saying MC gear is the same as AQ40 gear, and that beating Ragnaros is doing the same thing as beating C'thun. The LFR fights are NOTHING like the heroic fights, which might be why the LFR gear is essentially two tiers below the heroic gear. But yes, that's exactly the same. :rolleyes:

Secondly, if you feel so strongly about the ribbons for participation, how about you direct your attention toward pee wee sports, science fairs/projects, etc instead of WoW. I'm pretty sure ribbons/trophies for those would play a bigger role in that "life lesson" than a video game.

roaf85 said:
You hit the nail on the head with the player bases being older and having children/less time now, but that just stagnates new growth. I think you are missing the point where people back in the day no matter how much time they had really couldn't do BWL. Some of the fights were just so hard that if someone messed up it wiped your raid. You needed teamwork down to a T, but when you got there the feeling was awesome and repeatable in most cases.

Now it is just simon says. Tank goes here, healing goes here, don't get hit by this. There is no "oh fuck how do we deal with that core hound guy, well can someone kite him mechanic."

I think there's still enough things that can wipe a group in actual raids (not LFR), the difference being you really only have to count on either 9 or 24 people to not be idiots instead of 39, which in and of itself makes a lot of fights exponentially easier. Also, encounters like Vael in BWL had an element of luck that for the most part hasn't been in any current content. If you lost too many healers right away, you were done. Plus now there's DBM. If it existed back in MC/BWL days, I had no idea, nor did anyone in my raid. I still don't use it, but I think I'm in the minority.

Azureth said:
People that like the old WoW are just upset because things aren't OMFG difficult/time consuming anymore and since they wasted all the time-effort to achieve it they're butt hurt that now it's easier so now it's not just the l33t of the elite that can see it.

Perfect TLDR of my previous post :D

Last edited:

I swear, if I made an MMO where it take literally a million hours to get the best gear, fight the best bosses, etc. I'm sure they'd be all over it.

Many old WoW lovers are upset because it's not difficult at all now but still just as time consuming.

It sucked that very few people got to see the high end raids but it was also awesome because you hardly ever saw anyone with the gear. I'm not some raid elitist as I only did a couple MC raids to the first couple of bosses but I never felt slighted that others that put in the extra work had the coolest looking gear. There was a sense of 'epicness' associated with the content which added to the world. Some of the standard instances were difficult; (I remember being in groups that would call it a night on Rend in UBRS, the spiders in LBRS, etc.). The difficulty made you pay attention to more than just positioning since surpassing the tank's threat could instakill a clothie or leather user. A single add could wipe your group if the whole team wasn't paying attention. Everyone would cheer after a successful run; now everyone says 'gg' and just leaves.

It used to be that my friends and I would report a sighting of a Warrior standing around in Org with a piece or two of Might gear. Now everyone just does their dailies/gets their badges and runs around being 'epic'. IMO, nothing is epic when everything is epic.

Much of it is alleviated by having a good guild but it's still not the same as when you'd need a DPSer for Scholo and some random badass Thief with his T1 gear would show up. :)

Many old WoW lovers are upset because it's not difficult at all now but still just as time consuming.

I don't feel this way at all. They added a TON of graveyards and flight paths over the years. They've added some quick port things in raids to make it so you don't have to run through the whole instance again. I used to spend 8-10 hours a week on raid prep -- bandages, herbs for potions, enchants, weapon oils, farming mats for craftable resist gear, etc. and I was able to actually afford the 100% ground mount, which sped up my herbalism time significantly. Being a raider took a LOT more time than it does now.

Yeah, you could waste hours and hours doing dailies, but is it really necessary? Yeah you can get valor/rep gear with it, but what stops you from gearing through heroics and getting the rest from LFR drops?

It used to be that my friends and I would report a sighting of a Warrior standing around in Org with a piece or two of Might gear. Now everyone just does their dailies/gets their badges and runs around being 'epic'. IMO, nothing is epic when everything is epic.

I don't think it'd matter anyway, only because of transmog. You can't really tell what people are wearing anymore without an inspect. I do miss that, but at the same time, the new gear is ugly as hell for the most part, so I'm very thankful for transmog.

just resubbed, think im gonna show my warrior some love and level him up first (he was my first char so I have a soft spot for him). Are enchants for weaps at 90 crazy expensive? Use to playing my DK where that wasnt an issue at all lol.

just resubbed, think im gonna show my warrior some love and level him up first (he was my first char so I have a soft spot for him). Are enchants for weaps at 90 crazy expensive? Use to playing my DK where that wasnt an issue at all lol.

'atta boy! My war was my first too! Prot Power!

Think I'll be hitting 90 this weekend on my drood. I should have enough honor for two pieces right when I ding 90.

ya.. I carried 4k honor over..although.. havent bothered to do any BG's or anything... I did ding 600 with my tailoring.. and I can craft all 450 pvp gear for myself.. the honor gear is 458.. so Ill probably grab a chest piece, and craft the rest...

The really good ones are, but Windsong is pretty cheap and good enough until every last bit of dps is important.

Hit 90 a couple weeks back, and I think I am un-subbing again. The daily quest grind is just too much for me. It's not fun, and yesterday I said to myself "oh, I forgot to run my daily quests, I have to do that before bed" and then I hit myself for being stupid. Feels way too much like a job.

My server is so empty on Horde side that the economy is functionally destroyed and I am not giving Blizzard money for a server transfer.

Back