WoW; 4th expansion Mists of Pandaria

Well this post will be flagged as trolling, but I am serious...how good is this expansion? Worth the price? Worth getting back in the game?

I played and enjoyed WoW through the end of Wrath. Around the last raid I was enjoying things less and less, and about a year into Cataclysm I quit because I realized I was miserable and simply playing out of addiction and some perceived obligation to my longstanding guild.

I'd be restarting the game from scratch and have to find a new group, which is a huge barrier to entry for an MMO...worth it?

i would say, come back only if you can play in moderation and use self control.

i had a problem just like you. and i am sure plenty of other members of H had the same problem since wow was an epidemic and destroyed social and financial lives hahah

people just wont admit it

i played for a few hours last night and it was pretty cool then i got off and did other things. i like that my guild isnt around it makes it easier to play casually

i played for a few hours last night and it was pretty cool then i got off and did other things. i like that my guild isnt around it makes it easier to play casually

This was my biggest problem. I was in a high ranking guild; the pressure to perform was immense, and those who bailed were seen as dragging everyone down.

Although in my defense, my financial life is probably better off for it since all I did was work (a real FT job) and play WoW. Zero friends, zero social life. Ugh...

Well this post will be flagged as trolling, but I am serious...how good is this expansion? Worth the price? Worth getting back in the game?

I played and enjoyed WoW through the end of Wrath. Around the last raid I was enjoying things less and less, and about a year into Cataclysm I quit because I realized I was miserable and simply playing out of addiction and some perceived obligation to my longstanding guild.

I'd be restarting the game from scratch and have to find a new group, which is a huge barrier to entry for an MMO...worth it?

my first hard core game addiction was eq1... then wow..

totally understand, and relate to the feelings

I am a recovering person ( 12 stepper ) in RL, so.. quite prone to inappropriate playing..

this time.. coming back to wow 1 month prior to MoP.. and playing MoP.. Im older, not at addictive levels. I work full time, I make sure I continue to attend some 12 step mtgs ( as in get up off the computer and leave the house )

is it worth coming back for, IF, you can manage your play time? I think so.. I really think this is one of the better exp.. along the lines of TBC quality..

i would say, come back only if you can play in moderation and use self control.

i had a problem just like you. and i am sure plenty of other members of H had the same problem since wow was an epidemic and destroyed social and financial lives hahah

people just wont admit it

I had no social/financial issues, but I did rape raids with my guild BACK IN DEM DER DAY.

What'd you do when you got off WoW? Play shitty ass Dota 2? Yeah..you did didn't you. Psh. ;)

Although in my defense, my financial life is probably better off for it since all I did was work (a real FT job) and play WoW. Zero friends, zero social life. Ugh...

Same thing for me. Roommates going to go to the bar and drop $100/night on drinks, then come home on a thursday and pay $60 for whatever COD crap is new? Yeah, I'll just pay my $15/month...

Anyway, what you could do if you want is find someone to send you a scroll of resurrection, which will give you a boost to 80 and a free server transfer / faction change (only to their server/faction). Then you won't have the same old guild and can play casually without any pressure to join raids.

For what it's worth, a lot more "old school" WoW people have resurfaced in my guild than did with either WotLK or Cata, and all but 1 is still playing after a couple months. For both WotLK and Cata, these same people were only there for a month before they were gone again. Plus, with being able to obtain gear through dailies and heroics and LFR and pvp, there's a lot more options to gear up through just being casual. 3-4 hours / week will get you through all five LFRs and Sha.

I had no social/financial issues, but I did rape raids with my guild BACK IN DEM DER DAY.

What'd you do when you got off WoW? Play shitty ass Dota 2? Yeah..you did didn't you. Psh. ;)

Nope I quit, went out more, met my wife and got a good ass job.

All good things that happened to me came after I quit wow

Nope I quit, went out more, met my wife and got a good ass job.

All good things that happened to me came after I quit wow

I had good shit happening to me WHILE I played WoW. Mad? So mad.

P.S. Mad.

I had the same issue. I played and raided in serious guilds all through TBC & WoTLK. At the end of wrath I played with friends, flipped between guilds, guilds dissolved etc. Eventually I quit. I came back during the cata trial, got to 81 and bought it then stopped at 82. Think it was just as much to do with not playing with anyone I knew as anything else.

Now I play again and I'm 81 and having a good time. I play once every 2 or 3 days. So moderation is a good thing.

my first hard core game addiction was eq1... then wow..

totally understand, and relate to the feelings

I am a recovering person ( 12 stepper ) in RL, so.. quite prone to inappropriate playing..

this time.. coming back to wow 1 month prior to MoP.. and playing MoP.. Im older, not at addictive levels. I work full time, I make sure I continue to attend some 12 step mtgs ( as in get up off the computer and leave the house )

is it worth coming back for, IF, you can manage your play time? I think so.. I really think this is one of the better exp.. along the lines of TBC quality..

12 Step for what, Video games?

I think I was just at different stages of life. All through vanilla and part of BC, I was still in school, so I had infinite time and little money to raid hardcore. Loads of bittersweet memories in BWL especially. Then real life happened and I quit for a while, started working hardcore. Now I play casually, couple of hours here and there when I can spare it. Because I can't afford to commit to a fixed schedule, I reall appreciate the LFR. Its ezmode, I know, but still allows me to see content I wouldn't otherwise be able to see.

You're an alright guy Barb, you're alright.

:eek:

12 Step for what, Video games?

booze!!

I think I was just at different stages of life. All through vanilla and part of BC, I was still in school, so I had infinite time and little money to raid hardcore. Loads of bittersweet memories in BWL especially. Then real life happened and I quit for a while, started working hardcore. Now I play casually, couple of hours here and there when I can spare it. Because I can't afford to commit to a fixed schedule, I reall appreciate the LFR. Its ezmode, I know, but still allows me to see content I wouldn't otherwise be able to see.

I agree! while I am in a casual raiding guild.. 4/6 MV regular.. I have no intention of the level of commitment i had 6 years ago.. so. regardless of the cries of ezmode.. I think lfr is great... I have 4 pieces of tier, that I would probably never have gotten a chance for...

My raid finally got Elegon down last night. This was only our 2nd night of attempts with a full group of our normal raiders - - we had less than 2 hours on him the first night. The next couple nights (~3 hours total) we had 3 fill-ins each night that didn't know the normal fight, so....we never even got close.

Then last night we started on time for the first time, well, ever, cleared 4/6 within an hour and got some good attempts in. Had a 1% wipe (~2.5m hp) on the first pull, had about 3 of us mess up on the 2nd pull first orb phase, and then killed him on the 3rd pull. Woohoo!

the cataclysm quests are pretty cool so far. very very easy though almost no challenges at all. also been ganking people... seems too friendly out there. its kind of lame. all these grandmas playing this easy ass game now.

i like the underwater city and i like how ive only played 4-5 hours in like 3 days and have gained a level thats kinda nice. this weekend i should hit 85

the cataclysm quests are pretty cool so far. very very easy though almost no challenges at all. also been ganking people... seems too friendly out there. its kind of lame. all these grandmas playing this easy ass game now.

i like the underwater city and i like how ive only played 4-5 hours in like 3 days and have gained a level thats kinda nice. this weekend i should hit 85

When have quests ever been challenging? :p

Also, you like balls across your face? Meet me at 9PM, behind the dumpster next to the Mobil station.

My raid finally got Elegon down last night. This was only our 2nd night of attempts with a full group of our normal raiders - - we had less than 2 hours on him the first night. The next couple nights (~3 hours total) we had 3 fill-ins each night that didn't know the normal fight, so....we never even got close.

Then last night we started on time for the first time, well, ever, cleared 4/6 within an hour and got some good attempts in. Had a 1% wipe (~2.5m hp) on the first pull, had about 3 of us mess up on the 2nd pull first orb phase, and then killed him on the 3rd pull. Woohoo!

Grats dude! Elegon was a pain to kill for my raid.

When have quests ever been challenging? :p

Also, you like balls across your face? Meet me at 9PM, behind the dumpster next to the Mobil station.

how did you get that from my post? you got dudes suckin balls behind a dumpster on your mind bro? thought we dealt with this after you got the drip from that homeless dude behind the glitter gultch

NICE! grats

so.. you playing as Frost now btw?

we raid fri / sat, hopefully.. we can steam roll 1,2,3 and get to elegon friday night as well...

I tried frost.. just struggled to get my head around the rotations.. went back to Fire. and whatever.. I ran the 1st sert MV LFR last night.. I was number #1 dps at end.. overall 70k for the dungeon... Im ok with that. seemed to have a decent amount of Pyro procs too.. wonder if they back ed out their ninja crit nerf...

how did you get that from my post? you got dudes suckin balls behind a dumpster on your mind bro? thought we dealt with this after you got the drip from that homeless dude behind the glitter gultch

Whoa, whoa. You want to eat my WHAT? This is getting out of hand.

You're out of control.

On topic. Is arcane still viable for mages, spamming AB until we die?

Whoa, whoa. You want to eat my WHAT? This is getting out of hand.

You're out of control.

i cant eat anything of yours dude until you start bleaching

129036633142460221.jpg

NICE! grats

so.. you playing as Frost now btw?

we raid fri / sat, hopefully.. we can steam roll 1,2,3 and get to elegon friday night as well...

I tried frost.. just struggled to get my head around the rotations.. went back to Fire. and whatever.. I ran the 1st sert MV LFR last night.. I was number #1 dps at end.. overall 70k for the dungeon... Im ok with that. seemed to have a decent amount of Pyro procs too.. wonder if they back ed out their ninja crit nerf...

I did run last night as frost for a few reasons, the main ones being I find arcane to be INCREDIBLY boring, and arcane dps on the raid dummy was 4-5k lower than frost was, fire being below frost by ~8k.

I did pretty well on MV10 normal, took SS's of recount after each boss when I remembered. Finished at 82k on boss #1 (still #1 by 13k, yay for glyphed ice lance), boss #3 was 67.4k (was in the void world thing every time except the first), #4 was 63.8, and our elegon kill was 105k. I believe boss #2 was just over 70k (3rd in raid, but only by 1.5k). If I'm right about boss #2, that means I finished 1/3/3/2/3 on those fights. Hunter was #1 by a fair margin every time I wasn't (lower gear level than the rest of us too, nerf hunters kthx), and our rogue (ilvl 488, 496 MH + sha gem, either 489 or 496 OH) was usually between him and me. I have my 483 sha-touched caster staff, but still no gem because I suck at actually doing LFR.

I'd imagine LFR would be higher because we can mostly ignore fight mechanics and just dps stuff :p

For frost, make sure to use your WE's freeze ability on CD even though it won't freeze anything. It's not on your GCD and it procs frostbite. Same goes for frozen orb thing. Use AT with 2x frostbite, 1x brainfreeze, PoM up, then FB --> FFB --> ice lance x2, clear AT, repeat.

I noticed noxxic has living bomb in the frost build, but AFAIK nether tempest is higher single target dps. I haven't figured out what that's all about yet.

Arcane actually sims the highest now, but in practice I don't think it will be. I know when I tried it on the dummy, I used hero and was ~54k single target, frost was 58k single target WITHOUT hero. I hadn't reforged/regemmed to haste/mastery though, and I *think* I could pick up 1600ish mastery by doing so (for either arcane OR frost), but I'm not sure if that would be enough to push arcane over the top. Plus, it suffers more than any other spec by having to move at all, since it relies so heavily on 100% uptime on rune of power.

It's also incredibly boring because it's basically a set rotation now. AB spam doesn't work because you do more damage if you're closer to full mana -- it's the arcane mastery. A perfect arcane rotation would keep you between 80-100% mana the entire fight.

Frost is at least a relatively active/fun spec. Fire was more fun because, well, what wasn't fun about fire? But frost will do since fire is not so awesome right now...

EDIT: Got the 489 chest off Feng, bringing me up to ilvl 483. Would've been great pre-fire nerf, now it's only an upgrade because my previous chest was 463. Stat allocation isn't optimal for frost. Ahh well.

Last edited:
started my cta legendary quest.. lol

we cleared FL last night..hoping maybe Blizz will make the legendary staff sha touched .. lol. Long shot.. but.. what the heck

started my cta legendary quest.. lol

we cleared FL last night..hoping maybe Blizz will make the legendary staff sha touched .. lol. Long shot.. but.. what the heck

They definitely won't. Legendary staff is Cata content and they will won't introduce a MoP element into it.

Well, did some LFRs last night as arcane/frost. Spent some more time with an arcane rotation on the target dummy since the LFR queue was 35+ minutes, had to edit a previous post here to remove some stuff since I gave bad info on the arcane rotation. Through tweaking the rotation I was able to get arcane up to ~62k on the single raid dummy at ilvl 483, without heroism, and higher in raid (see below).

I'm not really sure how to put it into words, you'll have to just try it. The objective of the rotation is to remain 80-100% mana for the duration, staying at 6 stacks as long as possible without ever actually reaching 100% mana or dropping below 75-80%. A typical pull would be something like this:

Rune of Power
Nether Tempest
AB x6 --- might be down to 85% mana here, with 2 AM procs up
AM x1 --- perhaps up to 90% mana
Nether Tempest -- up to 93-94% mana
AB x2 or x3 --- bring you to 80% or so, probably will have 2x AM procs up
Arcane Power
Alter Time
AM x2
AB
<Alter Time ends>
Nether Tempest
AM x2
AB x2-3 -- to 80% mana
Nether Tempest
If at or below 80% mana, and at 6 stacks, NT active, and no AM procs up, use Arc Barrage to clear stacks
Rinse/repeat.

Recast rune of power and nether tempest as soon as they runs out, use arcane power at 6 stacks only. Mix in Presence of Mind whenever you want a free AB cast, might be necessary sometimes if your stacks have less than a second left, which isn't enough for a full AB cast.

I did Terrace and HoF-1 in LFR last night as frost/arcane depending on the fight. The terrace I got put in was already 2/4, I did the remaining 2 as arcane. On Lei Shi I managed ~68k dps (#1 by ~10k). On Sha of Fear, I played turret and ignored the adds to see what I could pull on turret fights, was at ~87k until I got pulled to the next-to-last platform. Finished the fight at ~82k (#1 by 15k). Granted, it was with the usual LFR baddies, but still.

The HoF-1 run had a frost mage that was 100k+ on every fight, but was in something like 491-492 ilvl, all haste gear. I couldn't catch him as either frost or arcane, I tried both, but I'm only at avg ilvl 483, a lot of which is still hit/crit or crit/mastery and just reforged crit-->haste. There was also a shadow priest at the same ilvl (490+) that was 88k+ every fight, obviously #2. I was #3 every time at a hair under 75k. I did boss #1 and 3 as arcane, #2 as frost.

EDIT: I reforged all my crit into haste where possible. Ran with frost armor as frost, mage armor as arcane, though frost armor as arcane was within ~500dps or so, well within just a lucky streak. Reforged/gemmed crit into haste, then mastery into haste. Haste seems to be #1 stat for both arcane and frost. Crit > mastery for frost, mastery > crit for arcane, so......yeah. Take your pick. Brilliant gems in red, reckless in yellow, veiled in blue. Enchanted for int where possible, haste on gloves/boots. Might be swapping boot enchant to pandaren's step for run speed. Holding on to old gear (replaced 489 hit/crit shoulders with 483 for 2 piece) just in case they unnerf fire somehow.

Last edited:
Started playing again, loving it. It seemed wierd at first with all the new talents and how everything works in MoP, but blizz has my attention again, and at first i thought CRZ sucked, but i have to say, its nice to see zones with people in it for once.

They definitely won't. Legendary staff is Cata content and they will won't introduce a MoP element into it.
well.. that blows then.. no point in the effort of getting legendary staff.. if its now trivial..other than the achieve and experiencing the lore.. that's lame..

xonim.. dood.. you are a mad scientist mage here.. appreciate your sharing your findings..

I guess @ 50 yo, Im too casual to care that much.. I started getting caught up there for a bit.. because I was performing well.. got a decent jump on gear through sheer disciplined approach to vp cap every week, daily's done daily, completing lfr every week..

maybe Ill try again on the frost thing..I appreciate your attempts at educating me..with rotation break down etc..

I need a add on that brings buffs etc from top right on screen down to say above spell bar.. i struggle at seeing and using buffs/ procs etc.. even as fire... when to use combustion for peak performance etc..

I need a add on that brings buffs etc from top right on screen down to say above spell bar.. i struggle at seeing and using buffs/ procs etc.. even as fire... when to use combustion for peak performance etc..

Quartz will move the mob debuffs to right above the cast bar -- also replaces the castbar with one that will account for latency so you can chain your spells better, though I believe the default game client somewhat does this now by allowing you to "queue" your spells.

Haven't bothered getting anything for mage-specific stuff, just guess when it looks good. I'm not sure if such a thing exists for ignites, you might just have to watch the numbers rolling. Though to me it doesn't really matter anymore since I'm not specced fire.

I wish I could stay disciplined with VP caps every week, I'm 476+ in every slot except legs. I'm like 50 rep from Klaxxi revered (required), but I still need 1200-1300 VP's. I only tend to get 400/week now, I just don't care enough about going revered --> exalted to do dailies.

well.. that blows then.. no point in the effort of getting legendary staff.. if its now trivial..other than the achieve and experiencing the lore.. that's lame..

Well if you like the look there was some mention from a blue that in the future they might allow you to transmog them.

I haven't raided since BWL and AQ40 days. I hear the raids now days are easier in comparison. Should I take the time to read up on the different fights or just jump in?

Back