Would you try this? 3960X / 3970X Direct-Die Cooling

No, not unless I had source of free or very low cost CPUs. I didn't watch video, but am guessing only a couple degrees difference if any at all with IHS removed. Not worth the risk to me and most everyone I know of. ;)

No, not unless I had source of free or very low cost CPUs. I didn't watch video, but am guessing only a couple degrees difference if any at all with IHS removed. Not worth the risk to me and most everyone I know of. ;)
Yep. He got results that were about stock. He suspects that he doesn't have good mounting pressure on it anymore since he had to buzzsaw the ILM to make clearance for the edges of the waterblock.

Pretty lame. When you delid and go direct die cooling on TR3, I expect to see 5 nano-sized blocks... well.... 4 nano-sized and 1 I/O sized. Not one big monster block made for an IHS that no longer exists.

This "might" be worthwhile or have more importance if there were 4 more chiplets in there.

Pointless they allrady run cool my 3960x at 4.45 all cores hits 65-70. I will say this though when you hit them with more v core the temps shoot up like crazy. If I leave pbo on my mb likes to feed this thing like 1.48 single load v core and 1.45 all core for a whooping 4.4 and 4.2 all core load. My manual clock is 4.45 at 1.4 if I back it down 4.3 1.325 v core it's a good 10c droop in temps....so either I have amazing cooling/ bad temps sensers on my CPU or that guy block sucks to be hitting 85c

Pointless they allrady run cool my 3960x at 4.45 all cores hits 65-70. I will say this though when you hit them with more v core the temps shoot up like crazy. If I leave pbo on my mb likes to feed this thing like 1.48 single load v core and 1.45 all core for a whooping 4.4 and 4.2 all core load. My manual clock is 4.45 at 1.4 if I back it down 4.3 1.325 v core it's a good 10c droop in temps....so either I have amazing cooling/ bad temps sensers on my CPU or that guy block sucks to be hitting 85c

Stock they are great and efficient, however things change when you go to an all core overclock. That's what derbauer was testing, a 4.5ghz all core oc. That level of overclock will make your loop cry.

No, I'd segment the workload to a dedicated machine and reduce drag on the main pc.

Seems like not enough pressure from the EK waterblock on the CPU? Why not use a model where the center protrudes more, like the Bykski?

Well, of course it works, the older ones remember direct die cooling was common until the early 2000s. There were of course a lot of chipped CPUs. AMD even added rubber pads to the sides against uneven mounting of coolers.

People are always scared of direct die cooling, yet it was done for years. Problem is removing the heat spreader will reduce the clamping pressure of the block unless you modify the mounting.

People are always scared of direct die cooling, yet it was done for years. Problem is removing the heat spreader will reduce the clamping pressure of the block unless you modify the mounting.
I'm scared of direct die cooling because when I hear that term, this is what I think it means:

| MOTHAFUCKIN' |
| JET OF WATER |
| DIRECTLY ONTO |
/________________\
--------------------------------
BARE-ASS CPU DIE
NO FUCKS GIVEN

When Derbo whipped out the waterblock I was a bit disappointed.

Well it comes from the old AMD days where people cracked core on those bare dies. It was a nerve racking experience back then.

Back