Would you swap 6700K for a 2700x?

Dreamerbydesign

Supreme [H]ardness
Thinking of making a hardware change. Looking for opinions and thoughts.

My current thinking is as soon as the new 8 core Intel mainstream chips release (rumored 9700k etc) I would lose more money re selling what I have currently.

Price / value has alot to do with this. My total upgrade cost would be $120-250 as I have a microcenter nearby where I will be buying my gear. So if I can "side grade" to a 2700x and decent Mobo from my 6700k, in the end I may be better off from a price / value stand point.

Current System:
  • Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 7 Mobo
  • 32GB DDR4 2400
  • Various hard drives
  • 2 x NVME SSD's
  • Corsair 850i PSU
  • Gigabyte 1070 G1
Everything is running stock. Never been overclocked.

What I use it for:

Well I'd love to say mostly gaming. But that would be a lie. I occasionally play games, but my time has been more limited. I do coding, web development, some work in photoshop, and run around 5 or so VM's, but not always at the same time.

This computer is also the main PLEX server for the home network.

While the 6700k does everything I think it needs to do, I have been bit by the upgrade bug. It has been a few years since I have built a PC.

I wonder, if I do not game much, a loss in single thread performance may not mean too much. And if I am multitasking more, perhaps going with more cores vs less faster cores, would be beneficial.

Proposed plan:

• AMD 2700x
  • Overclocking is not a requirement, but maybe a decent 370/470 mobo?
  • Keep the rest of my system including the ram etc. And rebuild.
  • Sell off the Z170, 6700K and Phanteks cooler

Would you do it?

Last edited:
I think the operative phrase is "hit by the upgrade bug". I mean, it won't be that big of an upgrade, it could be a downgrade even. Depends.

But you know, sometimes you just have to build :)

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Put a giant Noctua cooler on that CPU and OC the snot out of it.

Else get a Threadripper for those VM's.

If you can sell your current stuff to offset the price of the upgrade, and if the percentage of increased performance makes sense to you when compared to the left over cost, sure, upgrade! That is my usual decision matrix.

If you can sell your current stuff to offset the price of the upgrade, and if the percentage of increased performance makes sense to you when compared to the left over cost, sure, upgrade! That is my usual decision matrix.

Yes the current used market favors me making the change.

If I waited for the 8 core Intel mainstream chip to release, I'd likely lose more money selling this 6700k used.

I clarified my op to relfect this.

I'm looking at what I value my used gear at. In the end, I'd go to a 2700x, lose under $150 but I'd lose more I think if I waited until the mainstream Intel 8 core chips released.

I always sell my used gear when upgrading to offset cost.

OP I have a very similar problem that you have, but honest reflection is that I think I'm more hit by the bug to upgrade because it's fun, more than a real gain.

2700x looks awesome and I'd love to go back to AMD, but from a practical standpoint I don't know what I'd really gain. I play PUBG, Overwatch, and occasionally SC2. I get max FPS for my monitor all the time, I don't stream, and I run a single VM for torrenting which has no real noticeable effect on my day to day gaming.

Everything is rock solid and stable...runs like a dream.

So as much as I'd love to jump over to the AMD camp again...it's a much harder choice than usual.

So... Game changer. I decided to upgrade to the 8700k and a decent z370 board.

Microcenter is close. So after rebates, and after I sell my 6700k/z170 Mobo, I'll be out about 150 or less.

That should last me a few more years. Sorry AMD. I tried. But Intel wins again.

Price and availability. Microcenter had a sale on the 8700k, and nice asus z370 board, a mail in rebate, $30 bundle discount and the board was like new but open box.

Plus they sold out of 2700x chips.

Came out to be cheaper by a bit. At the end of the day Intel has not disappointed me since I left my AMD operton 165... Back in the day.

Maybe with the threadripper refresh or the zen 2 architecture I'll take another look at AMD.

The only dig against the 8700k in most reviews was price. But since it was cheaper for me this time, I decided I'd do it.

I am in same boat.. Using my 32gb of 2666 saves me a lot of $ vs buying 16gb of 3200 or higher clocked ram. I may jump to an 8700k.. I just have hte upgrade bug and have approval from the wife.. I mean I could still do the AMD.. just not sure I could justify the cost on AMD as it does cost more to build.. not sure where everyone gets it's cheaper from.. retail prices is like 20$ difference. I could throw in a mobo and 8700K and have it last me a couple years easy.

I am in same boat.. Using my 32gb of 2666 saves me a lot of $ vs buying 16gb of 3200 or higher clocked ram. I may jump to an 8700k.. I just have hte upgrade bug and have approval from the wife.. I mean I could still do the AMD.. just not sure I could justify the cost on AMD as it does cost more to build.. not sure where everyone gets it's cheaper from.. retail prices is like 20$ difference. I could throw in a mobo and 8700K and have it last me a couple years easy.
That also was a factor for me. I had ddr4 2400 that would not perform the best with the 2700x. Some instances showed a 10+% increase in performance increase with faster ram. That's when the faster ram worked with the boards, which still seem to be finicky compared to Intel based boards.

Overall I am very happy I stayed this time. I'll consider AMD again if zen 2 shows something promising.

Well my buddy stepped up and bought my old setup with ram.. so I went 2700X.. its been over a decade and now im back to AMD.. crazy times!

Resale for intel seems great so I would worry much about that.
6700k still sell for $250 on ebay I was just looking for a 6700k or a 7700k yesterday to pop into a system to sell.
You should fetch a bit more than that with the 6800k being that it’s hex core.

And the reality is it just doesn’t matter aside from e-penis whether you go with AMD Ryzen or Intel for gaming or production once you get past about 5th generation Intel hex core. Any differences are trading blows in an evenly matched boxing match. (Price, cores, gaming, productivity, performance.)

Price and availability. Microcenter had a sale on the 8700k, and nice asus z370 board, a mail in rebate, $30 bundle discount and the board was like new but open box.

Plus they sold out of 2700x chips.

Came out to be cheaper by a bit. At the end of the day Intel has not disappointed me since I left my AMD operton 165... Back in the day.

Maybe with the threadripper refresh or the zen 2 architecture I'll take another look at AMD.

The only dig against the 8700k in most reviews was price. But since it was cheaper for me this time, I decided I'd do it.
I'd at least do a simple Multicore Enhancement overclock on this one.
You're paying the extra money for K CPUs and Z mobos, you may as well get what you paid for IMO.

I decided to upgrade my 5820k to a 2700x. Only downside is I'm basically trading 32gb of slow RAM for 16gb of fast RAM. Assuming I get near the going rate for my old parts, I should also only be out about $150-200. I should have it put together this week.

Did I need to upgrade? Hell no. But I wanted to give AMD a shot after all these years, and I figure $200 a year is pretty cheap for a hobby since I doubt I upgrade my video card until next year when the next Ti card is out.

I decided to upgrade my 5820k to a 2700x. Only downside is I'm basically trading 32gb of slow RAM for 16gb of fast RAM. Assuming I get near the going rate for my old parts, I should also only be out about $150-200. I should have it put together this week.

Did I need to upgrade? Hell no. But I wanted to give AMD a shot after all these years, and I figure $200 a year is pretty cheap for a hobby since I doubt I upgrade my video card until next year when the next Ti card is out.
The other reason I didnt was because I'd be giving up 32 gigs of slower ram for 16 of faster. Do I use 32? Nope. I'm sure I could have lived without.

2700X>6700k for what you are doing. Intel has very little over Ryzen with single core performance now.

Besides, that 9700k is going to be well over $429

This coming from a user with a 8700k. I regret it now that the 2700X is out. Like you, I do more productivity than gaming.

I am going to sell this setup and go for the B450 mobo when they come out and get the 2700X as well.

This coming from a user with a 8700k. I regret it now that the 2700X is out. Like you, I do more productivity than gaming.

I am going to sell this setup and go for the B450 mobo when they come out and get the 2700X as well.

No reason to regret that. 8700k is like 80-85% of the productivity performance of the 2700X anyway. 8700k and 2700X are effectively tied, IMHO, with a slight lean toward gaming for one, and a slight lean for content creation/productivity on the other. But both are competent performers in all categories. The best all-round CPUs on the market today.

Keep that thing, man. It's a good chip. And this is coming from a 2700X owner.

How are you enjoying the 2700X? Any noticeable difference for your use case?

I personally have a 7700k and don't feel the need to switch over, but it's tempting to just try a Ryzen 2700X setup :)
(although for my usage prob zero difference, except maybe slightly less FPS in games)

How are you enjoying the 2700X? Any noticeable difference for your use case?

I personally have a 7700k and don't feel the need to switch over, but it's tempting to just try a Ryzen 2700X setup :)
(although for my usage prob zero difference, except maybe slightly less FPS in games)

Vs. my previous 1700X, it's a bit faster in all of my productivity tasks. Call it ~10-15% in rendering and compiling. Nothing major - probably not even worth the $ for the upgrade, lol. It feels a little faster overall in general usage, too - single thread performance is much better with the 2700X due to high 4.35GHz boost and lower latency. Just a bit more responsive all around. For my use case, though, more than 4 cores is an absolute must.

I'm an extremely heavy multitasker, and do rendering, graphics, video editing, and development on this machine. For some of these tasks Intel can still be slightly faster - 7700k and 8700k outperform Ryzen in many photoshop tasks, for instance. But when combined with the fact that I'll often have lots of heavy shit running in the background... nope, 8 cores is essential. I might be rendering a video in the background and feel like playing a game while I wait. Or running a batch job in Photoshop in the background, while doing dev work.

Of course, compared to my old 2600k box (which still runs my home theater setup) it's miles ahead.

Compared to your 7700k... I wouldn't bother going to the 2700X unless you do rendering/compiling/virtual machines for development/etc... If you do those kinds of things, it's totally worth it. It'll perform 40-50% faster in many cases. But for single thread it's a minor step backwards. Not as much of a backward step as Ryzen used to be, but still a step back. 7700k still generally outperforms the 2700X in games by like a pubic hair.

This is coming from someone who does little to no productivity work, so mostly ignore me. But I've seen recent youtube videos from hardware canucks and gamers nexus where for some specific programs the 8700K was better because of hardware acceleration using the igpu, even though it lagged behind with straight multi core performance. I think research on the specific applications you use is warranted before righting off the 8700k as the loser when it comes to productivity.

Back