Would you purchase a card that was used for mining

Maybe I'm just being really paranoid, but if I'm buying a used card I always assume it's been mined on.
Even if the seller explicitly says they didn't, I just assume they are lying. I figure that's the safest approach.

Maybe I'm just being really paranoid, but if I'm buying a used card I always assume it's been mined on.
Even if the seller explicitly says they didn't, I just assume they are lying. I figure that's the safest approach.

The safest approach is not to buy a second hand card. It doesn't matter what the card has been used for, gaming, mining, whatever, you take a risk buying a second hand card. Because unless you know the person selling the card personally, you don't know what the card you are buying has gone through.

The reason I wont buy a GPU that was mined is because a company like EVGA has put things in place to try and sort out the cards that were used for mining so that they won't warrant them. Since companies that put out GPU cards are concerned it stands to common sense all of us ought to be as well
EVGA is sorting the cards out that were used for mining? Links?

The reason I wont buy a GPU that was mined is because a company like EVGA has put things in place to try and sort out the cards that were used for mining so that they won't warrant them. Since companies that put out GPU cards are concerned it stands to common sense all of us ought to be concerned as well and steer clear.

Those who have mining cards will scream very loud that mining cards are ok and even run with under-volted settings ... what else would you expect them to say ?

Using common sense, which of the following would you prefer to buy?

- a circuit board that was used maybe 5-8 hours max per day 5 days a week for a year
- a circuit board that was used 24/7 at max temps for a year?

miners may say temps were not high but remember ... the single largest problem for miners to overcome is heat dissipation and they joke about using the heat generated to heat their built-in swimming pool

just saying :barefoot:

You obviously know nothing about mining or circuit boards.

Just saying.

Just saying.

I read somewhere that it's foolish to presume and so, based on that truth well, you know ... just saying

EVGA is sorting the cards out that were used for mining? Links?

that's what they told me when I called some time ago back when the info was posted that you'll need a receipt for RMA claim(s) for any card purchased after May 25th 2018. Maybe give 'em a call ...

Just saying.
Or mining as well.
I read somewhere that it's foolish to presume and so, based on that truth well, you know ... just saying

that's what they told me when I called some time ago back when the info was posted that you'll need a receipt for RMA claim(s) for any card purchased after May 25th 2018. Maybe give 'em a call ...
https://hardforum.com/threads/evga-...est-rma-harder-to-check-warranty-now.1955607/
This one?

Buying a used card you take a chance no matter how it was used. It could have been faulty from the factory, barely used and when you push it - it fails. It could have been used for mining 24/7 for years but well maintained and never pushed to it's limits and work great or fail also. Could be a gaming card that was way over volted, ran hot (both of these are hard to do with current and even previous generations unless bios modded or registry hacks which people do do) and won't last that long once you buy it.

If the price is right and you can afford the gamble with a reputable seller yes. You could buy new and the card fails after a few hours, days, weeks etc. and you have to fight with a return or warranty service which for some companies it maybe best just to chuck the card in the trash and buy another brand.

I'd buy a mining card again. I've purchased several over the last few years and all have been solid. Just make the price right and I'm good.

So these cards listed on eBay saying they were used for deep learning is that the same as crypto mining?

I remember buying GPUs used for folding at home, they all worked fine for me. But the thing is I have never had a single GPU die on me, and I bought used more than once, honestly I don't know how people manage to kill them.

But this current trend of "don't buy mining GPUs" is not out of reason, but rather irrational hatred, because it's miners fault, they can't buy GPUs. Used is used, just buy from a decent seller.

GPU prices are dropping like rocks. $365 New 1080's, $300 Fully Warranted B stock 1080's, $200 new 8gb RX580s, $280 new 1070's.. not much of a reason to buy used right now. Especially seeing that prices will drop again when the new Nvidia cards are announced.

Last edited:
I just did. I bought an EVGA 1080 Ti for $445 after the 15% off from Ebay yesterday. Guy had 1 of my version (dual fan) and 8 of the single blower type for sale. So I'm sure they were mined on. I could have snagged the same one, brand new from EVGA for $650 ($553 after 15%) but I barely missed it. I'm not sad that I saved $108 getting a used card that still has 2 years of warranty left.

I just bought a mining card from ebay by accident. It was one of those OEM HP RX 480 single fan cards. The seller listed it as New, Other, which to me does not mean used. It was an impulse purchase when they recently had that 15% off coupon and the card was really cheap.

Anyway, how do I know it was used and that it was used for mining?
1 - It had some dust in it, so not new as described.
2 - There was a Code 43 error in the device manager. This happens when a card has a bios mod. It causes problems and is not OK to leave like this for daily usage. I had to search the web for a stock bios and then flash that to the card. I haven't flashed a bios to a card in quite a while so there was a learning curve, but now the error went away and it's fine.

When it had the Code 43 error the gpu-z results were all jacked up. Clock speeds, gpu temps, features, etc were all pretty much wrong. The card would put out video when I got it but was pretty much unusable as it was. I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but I was able to get this fixed. Many others though would never figure this all out and get it done though.

I would not want to go down this path again.

I just bought a mining card from ebay by accident. It was one of those OEM HP RX 480 single fan cards. The seller listed it as New, Other, which to me does not mean used. It was an impulse purchase when they recently had that 15% off coupon and the card was really cheap.

2 - There was a Code 43 error in the device manager. This happens when a card has a bios mod. It causes problems and is not OK to leave like this for daily usage. I had to search the web for a stock bios and then flash that to the card. I haven't flashed a bios to a card in quite a while so there was a learning curve, but now the error went away and it's fine.

When it had the Code 43 error the gpu-z results were all jacked up. Clock speeds, gpu temps, features, etc were all pretty much wrong. The card would put out video when I got it but was pretty much unusable as it was. I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but I was able to get this fixed. Many others though would never figure this all out and get it done though.

Sorry you had problems, but, that's the risk you take buying any second hand card. Especially at super cheap prices. Always a red flag to me. Buying second hand card on impulse is never the wise thing to do.

Why didn't you return it when you saw it was used? Why go through all that hassle of fixing something that should have been new?

An experience like that sucks, but, it was partly self inflicted and hope you learned a lesson from it. This could happen with the seller of any card mining or gaming.

Last edited:
Someone please point out the different ways mining load impacts a card compared to gaming load...I could use a good laugh.

Someone please point out the different ways mining load impacts a card compared to gaming load...I could use a good laugh.

I think the key question is whether how many hrs mining vs gaming. I usually play a couple of hrs a week tops (sometimes not even an hr a week when I'm busy), even with a lighter mining load I bet it wears down the graphics card faster with 24/7 operation.

I think the key question is whether how many hrs mining vs gaming. I usually play a couple of hrs a week tops (sometimes not even an hr a week when I'm busy), even with a lighter mining load I bet it wears down the graphics card faster with 24/7 operation.

I know people that have games running 24/7...I am just amused over the ignorance of some people...ever since the G80 it has all been about computational loads. Be it gaming, mining, DC etc.

You had a bad seller and should report him as such. Sounds like the card is fine after you restored the OEM BIOS. Congrats on being able to resolve the issue.

Back