Would you pay $10,000 for a WoW character?

Depends how much you earn really, If I could earn significantly more than that I'd be tempted to pay for a character. For some people their time is worth a lot and what seems like a stupid purchase to the average person may be more financially sound.

I would never buy a toon in the first place, if the game is only fun once you get your toon to it's max level then the game is crap IMO

Depends how much you earn really, If I could earn significantly more than that I'd be tempted to pay for a character. For some people their time is worth a lot and what seems like a stupid purchase to the average person may be more financially sound.

I would never buy a toon in the first place, if the game is only fun once you get your toon to it's max level then the game is crap IMO

I agree with the first thought, but as far as a game being crap because it has an end-game that is better than the initial grind... well, I must disagree and point out Dark Age of Camelot, EverQuest, Ultima Online in its glory days, etc. :).

Even if I had that much extra money I wouldn't spend it on that.

Since the guy had the money w/e, I would never do it. I think it sucks that the character was banned though.

Heh, I can see why people might buy accounts/characters, I think it's pretty lame, but I understand it.

What I don't understand is out of twenty trillion or whatever, why would shell out for one of the only ones that would actually attract anybodies attention.

I play on the EU realms, and because of the high profile of the character, and how easily identifiable it was, regardless of name, because of the rare weapons, it was spotted by the players on his home and new realms almost immediately.

For those who don't know WoW, the Twin blades of azzinoth mentioned in the article are only possessed by like, 3 or 4 characters, if even that, out of the whole 9 million players, so they are kind of a give away.

Edit:Here's the forum thread where people first "Noticed": http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=612683929&sid=1&pageNo=1

You too can get in a raiding guild and get all your nice shiny purples. I'd have bought a toon with SSC/TK level gear, joined a guild, got my vials, and moved on like you're supposed to.

Assuming its true.... On the one hand I think its rather funny. On the other hand...not sure wether to say the guy is just sad or pathetic to spend $10k for that toon. Doesnt matter wether rich or poor. Spending 10k is just plain dumb on a WoW toon IMO. In any case I bet he's one pissed off person. I doubt he could win a lawsuit against Bliz but if he wants to throw more money after bad then thats his perogative. :rolleyes:

MUCHOS congratulations to you, obtaining them is no small feat, go out there and rip those deepz meters while making everyone else green (or orange) with envy!

Wow.. I haven't played WoW for too long (maybe over 2 years)...

I have forgot toons have so low polygon count...even psychonauts look better lol

why pay that much when the expansion pack comes out theyll be obsolete.

I've never played WoW and probably never will as I refuse to pay a monthly fee on top of the full price they charge to initially get the game. If you are paying a monthly fee then the client software shouldn't cost anything. Anyway, in my way of thinking buying a pre-made character is the same as cheating so this guy deserved to get burned. The idea of the game is to build up your own character, you know, like try and achieve something? Buying a pre-made character is the same as some whore who sleeps her way to the top in the movie business or something like that. It's unethical and sad.

I sold my LOTRO account for $300+ a few months ago, which was only about 2 months old (but had a level 50 char)...
...and I learned from some old clanmates that the person isn't even using it. Makes no sense to me, but hey...

But yeah... obviously 300 =/= 10,000, but I just thought I'd mention that. lol

I sold my Warrior on EQ for $1300. The guy used it for a few months and never logged it in again.

Not a chance. I gave up WoW over a year ago with 3 level 60 characters (one a rogue) and even if I was going to buy a character it wouldn't be a rogue... or a night elf.

I personally would never buy a WoW character. The experience and knowledge gained from playing your class from 1-70 can't be learned by simply buying a toon and playing around with it for a few hours.

Great moneymaker if you sell your account, though. Load up on as many Level 70s as possible now and sell your account before the next expansion pack hits, you'll make a huge amount that way.

I would never buy an account, but that hasnt stopped me from selling my 2 chars. I sold 2 chars 2 months before the expansion. And then used the time to get a new toon or 2 to level 60 for the expansion, best $700 I ever made.

Experience and knowledge from 1-70? Maybe if you're new to the game. People dont buy chars for that. They buy them to help out the guild more. Your guild needs a tank? People dont want to waste time levelling 1-70 and then trying to gear the toon up from scratch.

But to answer the question, hell no I wouldnt waste 10,000$ on a char. I had my fun with WoW when Molten Core and Blackwing Lair were endgame.

I sold my EQ2 account with 3 raid gear lvl 70s and a lvl 70 crafting alt (4 lvl 70 total) for $4150. I was just going to quit and delete my account and a friend told me to auction it. I took his advice, and it helped pay for my car.

I sold my EQ2 account with 3 raid gear lvl 70s and a lvl 70 crafting alt (4 lvl 70 total) for $4150. I was just going to quit and delete my account and a friend told me to auction it. I took his advice, and it helped pay for my car.

I let my guild use my everquest account for a year before reclaiming it and selling it to fund a trip to the Midwest, where I met up with my guild for a gathering. $500 was a lot less than the account would have fetched a year prior, but I had already made plenty of money from the account. Since I was a college student at the time and had nothing to do after I leveled up my character to 50, I thought I would make a little extra cash by camping/farming items that only a level 50 could do alone. In about a month of auctions and camping, I made $8500.

I let my guild use my everquest account for a year before reclaiming it and selling it to fund a trip to the Midwest, where I met up with my guild for a gathering. $500 was a lot less than the account would have fetched a year prior, but I had already made plenty of money from the account. Since I was a college student at the time and had nothing to do after I leveled up my character to 50, I thought I would make a little extra cash by camping/farming items that only a level 50 could do alone. In about a month of auctions and camping, I made $8500.

Thats an EQ1 account, yeah?

Ah... because it seemed that the EQ1 characters were worth more for some reason, so I can understand you getting such a substantial ammount for your account. I never played EQ1, so I'm not sure as to how much effort it took to get from base lvl to max, let alone get geared.

I sold multiple accounts in EQ1 before, used the money for savings and my first car.

Had one of the first lvl50 monks on my server with some fairly hard to get gear and a CoF (man that was too uber in the day) the amount was $2500, then I ended up selling a dark elf innoruuk cleric in kunark for 3500 that had nothing special to it.

My friend sold his SK that had full AA in luclin and had the emperors 2h'er as well as yttrium legs/bp for a very nice chunk of change.

all those characters got less then a year of play, friend got his SK back and I still had my gnome cleric i loved to play and started to play again.

Ah... because it seemed that the EQ1 characters were worth more for some reason, so I can understand you getting such a substantial ammount for your account. I never played EQ1, so I'm not sure as to how much effort it took to get from base lvl to max, let alone get geared.

EQ1 had alot of subscribers and took a long time to level fully, once AA's went in it took even longer to get characters worth while on auction sites, its amazing what people want to just fuck around with.

I believe the game came out in March of 99. I started in May of 99 on a server that had just opened up. I think I was the 8th level 50 on the server. That happened around late July. So about 10 weeks of work for my first character (which was a non-solable ranger) to hit max level at probably 12 hours a day. The $8500 was a small consolation for the pathetic amount of life lost to playing the game. I didn't buy a car, but I did add a turbo to it. :)

I believe the game came out in March of 99. I started in May of 99 on a server that had just opened up. I think I was the 8th level 50 on the server. That happened around late July. So about 10 weeks of work for my first character (which was a non-solable ranger) to hit max level at probably 12 hours a day. The $8500 was a small consolation for the pathetic amount of life lost to playing the game. I didn't buy a car, but I did add a turbo to it. :)

I'm going to go so far as to call you awesome. lol.

i heard of this deal a while back.. i LOLed when I heard he got banned.... lol!!!!
I think if I was clearing a million+ a year and for some odd reason wanted to wtfPWN everything i would buy the account.

Id like to sell my account soon... whats the forum where you can buy and sell your characters?

anyone still playing eq1? if they would open up a classic server (not progression) with just the first 3 expansions open I would certainly play again, loved old school eq.

I've never played WoW and probably never will as I refuse to pay a monthly fee on top of the full price they charge to initially get the game. If you are paying a monthly fee then the client software shouldn't cost anything. Anyway, in my way of thinking buying a pre-made character is the same as cheating so this guy deserved to get burned. The idea of the game is to build up your own character, you know, like try and achieve something? Buying a pre-made character is the same as some whore who sleeps her way to the top in the movie business or something like that. It's unethical and sad.

Wow finally someone that agrees with my Brother :D

anyone still playing eq1? if they would open up a classic server (not progression) with just the first 3 expansions open I would certainly play again, loved old school eq.

Its still played alot, and still poopin out expantions, I think their new one is pirates, mostly involves raiding other ships in the ocean's and what not, haven't explored it yet though.

As far as adding new servers, I don't think they are going to get alot of subscribers now by adding unique servers anymore, especially since they dropped the ball on shutting down the emulated servers already.

Back