Would you consider getting a 4.7" iPhone, or even switching?

Reasonable, but lots of people have gone out of business by trying to play safe, second most companies are not going to stick their neck out to try to take one for the good of competition knowingly. And I think you illustrate my point very well, simply having the better app ecosystem as the last refuge of why to own an iPhone is not going to be enough to hold on to.

This is a funny post only because apple went from 3.7--> 4.0 op thinks they will go straight to 4.7.......

We all know they will SLOWLY milk it.

This is a funny post only because apple went from 3.7--> 4.0 op thinks they will go straight to 4.7.......

I think OP posted based off the current rumor mill news articles.. Don't know if you missed all of those.

I posted a link in my original post citing a Reuters report that suggested Apple was looking into 4.7"+ phones. I don't think anything about it in particular. I like my S3 and was wondering if anyone would consider switching to a iPhone if the screen increased hypothetically to the 4.7" size.

If Apple does go bigger, I see it keeping 4-inch models around as a baseline. You could get the big screen size if you like, but you're not pushed into it (it's still a laugh and a half that Samsung now sees 4.3 inches as "mini").

I have to say that if any of these rumors of liquid metal and fingerprint scanner are true, I'm sure going to put the iPhone 5S on my shortlist. But then it's not 4.7"

They've had every screen size from 2" to 20" in their iDevice R&D labs since day one. The only question is why the WSJ is reporting this as "news" now.

Nay. Apple has the capability to increase the screen size slightly without making for a larger phone, but not to 4.7".

One of the things I like about the iPhone is that it isn't bulky: increasing its dimensions and its weight only adds to its bulk. That's regression, not progression.

My favorite, not saying you do this, are users that love the form factor, build, etc. and then throw it in an Otterbox to protect it making it like a brick anyway.

I actually like the iPhone but can't get along with iTunes and the small, skinny screen on the 5 so I ended up with the HTC One. I have used Android since the Galaxy S2 but have mostly Apple products at home with the family, but I cannot stand iTunes and the small screen, so hopefully they have a 4.7"+ screen and a way to avoid iTunes in the future. If not, then Android works just fine for me and has numerous options on the hardware side so I can pick what is important to me.

My favorite, not saying you do this, are users that love the form factor, build, etc. and then throw it in an Otterbox to protect it making it like a brick anyway.

This. This. This. So stupid. I see this all the time... I mean, what choice do you have when there is glass on the front and the BACK of your cell phone. lol

I have to say that if any of these rumors of liquid metal and fingerprint scanner are true...

Too Terminator-like for me... and no, I am sure they are not true. Apple hasn't been innovative since the original iPhone with the touchscreen. There were rumors of projectors being in the iPhone 5.

Too Terminator-like for me... and no, I am sure they are not true. Apple hasn't been innovative since the original iPhone with the touchscreen. There were rumors of projectors being in the iPhone 5.

Because making one oh the thinnest, lightest, best performing, and best battery life phone on the market with the iPhone 5 isn't innovation...

Last edited:
Because making one oh the thinnest, lightest, best performing, and best battery life phone on the market with the iPhone 5 isn't innovation...

Keyword "one of", to qualify as innovative they have to bring something new to the table. Their latest models haven't been anymore innovative than other offerings, they're just natural progressions of the line.

Btw, best battery life? Everyone I know (I know quite a few) who has an iPhone is tethered to a charger, constantly jockeying for the outlet .. "I'm at 5%, well I'm at 2%".

Keyword "one of", to qualify as innovative they have to bring something new to the table. Their latest models haven't been anymore innovative than other offerings, they're just natural progressions of the line.

...and all Android phone do is make the screen bigger and declare that they have more cores while often not showing any notable performance gains.

Real "omg that's never been done before" innovation is dead.

...and all Android phone do is make the screen bigger and declare that they have more cores while often not showing any notable performance gains.

Wow, who mentioned Android? You just proved my assumption, your fanboism for Apple put you on the defensive.

Your statement would only hold water if I had said such-and-such device was more innovative. When I really implied no device has truly brought innovation to the market in quite a while.

Wow, who mentioned Android? You just proved my assumption, your fanboism for Apple put you on the defensive.

Your statement would only hold water if I had said such-and-such device was more innovative. When I really implied no device has truly brought innovation to the market in quite a while.
The only truly great thing Apple has ever done in the mobile phone front is making everyone switch to a capacitive touchscreen instead of the transitive touchscreen. Everything else is been there, done that. Apple's marketing handled the rest.

I agree that true innovation gone, probably until some new battery tech comes along.

Making products better through iteration (via innovation on a micro scale) isn't itself innovation. Notable innovation went into some of the individual components, but the sum is not innovative.

I like the direction Apple is going, for the most part — thinner and lighter is a good thing, despite some manufacturers' insistence to the contrary — but making phones progressively better in well-established ways isn't innovative: it's just a common sense approach.

Well, back to the original question before this thread devolved to mud slinging:

No, I would not switch. Both iOS and Android would be suitable for my needs, but I am already established in Android (as in, I already have apps I like, which I purchased and do not wish to purchase again). Why would I switch for the same exact functionality with the additional cost of re-purchasing apps?

That's the big problem here. Android and iOS both have ups and downs. In general I find that not a whole lot of people would be crippled by using one over the other, but at the same time, if they're so functionally similar, why switch at all? You're rooted into your platform, and neither Android nor iOS nor developers make switching easy or even remotely desirable.

Imagine if big developers had licensing agreements which state you could use their paid app on any platform you choose, just buy once. Or data stored for those apps being usable cross platform so once you installed your previously Android app to your new iOS device, all your settings and data would be there already.

So no, I would likely not switch to a 4.7" iPhone unless there is some really crazy new stuff.

I'm a big Nexus guy, but I would be tempted to go back to an iPhone if;

- 4.7" screen
- Widgets allowed on home screen
- More customization allowed
- Battery life to match the Droid MAXX or Note 2.

Battery size, I know the iPhone gets pretty good battery life with it's measly 1,450mAh size, but imagine if Apple did something like Motorola does with their MAXX, a 3,500mAh fit into a 8.5mm thin phone. That size battery in an iPhone, would allow it to last for days.

I don't want a phone that large personally. I'll be happy as long as there is a 4" iPhone option. I would probably be OK going up to about 4.3" though.

iPhone does already have exceptional battery life IMO.

56332.png

56333.png

Kinda crazy that the 1440mAh iPhone 5 battery lasts more than half as long as the 7500mAh they put in the GS4 for that test.

I don't want a phone that large personally. I'll be happy as long as there is a 4" iPhone option. I would probably be OK going up to about 4.3" though.

iPhone does already have exceptional battery life IMO.

Kinda crazy that the 1440mAh iPhone 5 battery lasts more than half as long as the 7500mAh they put in the GS4 for that test.

I agree, the iPhone does very good, for just having a 1,440mAh battery, but imagine if they could squeeze in just a 2,200mAh sized battery, giving 50% longer battery life, and that is small compared to Android phones, meaning Apple could squeeze something like that in the iPhone 6 and still keep it thin, and get even better battery life, rivaling or beating a Motorola MAXX.

Also I think Apple, should move to 2 different sized iPhone's already. Keep the tiny 4" size, and then also offer a 4.8" or so. Why not have two different size iPhone's ? They make different size iPad's, and different size MacBooks.

I would not be interested in the 4.7" iphone. I have an S3 which has a 4.8" screen and it's just to small for internet use (and I use internet on my phone everyday). A 5.7" iphone I would greatly be interested in.

I agree, the iPhone does very good, for just having a 1,440mAh battery, but imagine if they could squeeze in just a 2,200mAh sized battery, giving 50% longer battery life, and that is small compared to Android phones, meaning Apple could squeeze something like that in the iPhone 6 and still keep it thin, and get even better battery life, rivaling or beating a Motorola MAXX.

Also I think Apple, should move to 2 different sized iPhone's already. Keep the tiny 4" size, and then also offer a 4.8" or so. Why not have two different size iPhone's ? They make different size iPad's, and different size MacBooks.

I would love to see choices. I think they should make a larger screen iPhone so long as they keep the 4" as well. I really do like the 4".

Also I wouldn't mind if they made the 6 thicker again like the 4 and 4s were if they can squeeze out a larger battery. However, Apple seems to like to make things smaller and lighter while simply maintaining battery life for the most part, rather than increasing it so much outside of CPU and OS power improvements.

I would consider an iPhone with a 4.7" or larger screen for my next phone, but then my sanity would kick back in and I'd go with either a pure Android (Google Edition) phone or stick to what I'm leaning towards next and get the latest Note. I'm also waiting on WP9 to arrive so I can compare further to see if a phone with it will be a contender.

I wouldnt consider an iphone at based currently just based on size alone. I like the open android eco system. My next phone may be a zopo c2 platinum anyhow. I agree with others, 4.7 is feeling pretty small these days. I love how a galaxy note II feels in my hand, but they are a bit pricey for my taste.

I will not even consider an iPhone until the day where I can, without jailbreaking, plug it directly into a PC, and via MTP or MSC, access the files stored on it, using the device as removable storage. In addition, the requirement to use iTunes for ANYTHING needs to go away. As of right now, iTunes is still required for some updates (they are making progress here since iOS 5), for downloading some apps from the app store over a certain size, and for synchronizing/accessing media.

Remove those limitations and I would consider an iPhone.

these were exactly my reasons too for not considering an iphone. as well as the screen size.

i've been stuck with a plain old nokia for years and ignored this smartphone trend. it could make phone calls and write messages, what did i need more :p

finally got a samsung s3 just because everyone was using whatsapp for texting, while i was left outside. and i thought that having mobile internet and books available is a nice thing. so i tried a few phones in the 4"-5" range and found that 4"-4.2" was simply too small for my clumsy fingers to type effciently. a phone of 4.7"-4.8" feels a bit big in the pocket, but much better for internet, typing and reasing.

I have been going back and forth with Android and iOS for years now. I currently have an iPhone 5 but regret it everyday. I only have it cause all the people I communicate with use iMessage. If there was a way to use iMessage on Android I would go back in a second. All I know is if Apple comes out with only the iPhone 5S in the current form factor (which it looks that way from the released pics) I am going back to Android right away.

I have been going back and forth with Android and iOS for years now. I currently have an iPhone 5 but regret it everyday. I only have it cause all the people I communicate with use iMessage. If there was a way to use iMessage on Android I would go back in a second. All I know is if Apple comes out with only the iPhone 5S in the current form factor (which it looks that way from the released pics) I am going back to Android right away.

This isn't a shock -- Apple has a tick-tock development cycle that entails major ergonomic redesigns every other year, and refinements (oftentimes significant) of existing designs in between. Arguably it should step things up, and it might in the long run.

Besides, what do you regret, exactly? The screen size and widgets I could understand, but the iPhone 5 is a perfectly usable smartphone: lots of quality apps, good performance (even now) and the best overall mobile camera outside of the Lumia 1020.

Back