Would you consider getting a 4.7" iPhone, or even switching?

zamardii

2[H]4U
I have had the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 4S, and I liked them for a while until I accepted the fact that Android was way ahead in key areas that are important to me and switched to the Galaxy S3 and haven't looked back since (and due to their attitude towards suing others and the Foxconn mess made the decision easier)

However, in the back of my head I am thinking if Apple does decide to do a iPhone in a 4.7" screen size or above like Reuters is suggesting, then that just might bring me back to Apple depending on what's out on Android at the time. The market has clearly been steered toward larger screen phones and I think Apple will follow. There are some things I do miss from having a iPhone but not enough for me to ever even think about going back unless the screen size goes above 4.7."

What does [H] think? 4.7" iPhone; Yay or nay?

Reuters link: "Apple considering iPhones with 4.7-inch, 5.7-inch screens"

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/13/apple-iphone-idUSL3N0EP1BA20130613

Nay... all that space for without widgets is just a waste

Reading and gaming it helps tremendously.

As far as offering what their market wants, the 4.7" is good, but I don't know if Apple is ready to strike the phablet market yet. I would bet no, they don't release the phablet and stick with a device like the 4.7" rumor.

Yea (not surprisingly, an iPhone 5 is one of my devices).

The iPhone is still a top-notch device for photography, gaming and music playback, but it could use the extra screen size for video and the web. It'd also be a good excuse for throwing in a bigger battery. My main concern is how Apple would address resolution: 1136x640 looks great on an iPhone 5, but it'd be behind the curve at 4.7 inches or so. I can only see Apple either boosting the resolution again (2272x1280?) or asking devs to write to a new resolution.

On a side note: it's a bit odd to talk about the "Foxconn mess," since there's a real chance that you're using a product made at Foxconn or another manufacturer in similar conditions. Dell, HP, Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony and quite a few others also contract through Foxconn. That and I've seen one or more modern Samsung phones (Galaxy Note II, for instance) that were clearly labeled as built in China.

Compared to iPhone 4S would looks something like this...

illustration-4-7-inch-iphone-5-versus-3-5-inch-iphone-4.png

I had the 4S before switching to the HTC DNA on Verizon. It has a 5" 1080p res at 441ppi. Its a great looking screen, and the phone also has 2gb of ram and a 1.5ghz quad core. Runs on Jellybean. I'm glad I made the switch back to Android. I feel no reason to go back. I always felt limited with the 4S.

Potentially, if a jailbreak was available, and I could get a decent price for my S4 used. Having something that "just" works, with a screen size i can stand would be a selling point.

I did too until my father in law jail broke it for me... then it was pretty epic what you could do. lol

That's fine and all, but I just think it's dumb that I have to do such a thing to get to the entirety of the phone. I just want a phone that will let me use it from the beginning without having to F&#* with it. I realize that's also true for Android, but I feel like it's less so.

Maybe if they did the 5.7
Truth is I'd rather have a tablet that can make calls than the other way around right now. ios has better games imo, that's probably the only thing I'd consider apple products for right now over android.

The next iPhone needs to be in the 4.5" - 5" range or I most likely will jump to something else.

I never tried an iPhone but I would jump on a 4.7" version. The 4" screen is too small and I had that screen size 3-4 years ago at least.

I'll need an iOS device in a little less than 2 years.. I would consider switching back at 4.7in.. but probably wouldn't unless it was 5

Probably get a mini at that time.

I would consider a 5" iphone, the only problem is iOS7, I was really hoping for a home run with the new release, not a base hit.

I would consider a 5" iphone, the only problem is iOS7, I was really hoping for a home run with the new release, not a base hit.

I'd say it was never going to live up to expectations for anyone who's strongly devoted to another platform. You don't completely rethink an OS in one year. Besides, Apple shouldn't be listening to a lot of Android fans -- many of them effectively want Apple to remake Android, not create something distinct.

As it stands, iOS 7 sounds like it's addressing a lot of root problems on at least some level. More authentic multitasking? Check. Quick settings? Check. Device-to-device file transfers? Check. And apparently quite a few things under the hood, too, like a common game controller API.

Last edited:
I will not even consider an iPhone until the day where I can, without jailbreaking, plug it directly into a PC, and via MTP or MSC, access the files stored on it, using the device as removable storage. In addition, the requirement to use iTunes for ANYTHING needs to go away. As of right now, iTunes is still required for some updates (they are making progress here since iOS 5), for downloading some apps from the app store over a certain size, and for synchronizing/accessing media.

Remove those limitations and I would consider an iPhone.

I wasnt expecting android, I was expecting new flavor elements other then pastels and most of what medion just mentioned, especially itunes.

What does [H] think? 4.7" iPhone; Yay or nay?
Nay. Apple has the capability to increase the screen size slightly without making for a larger phone, but not to 4.7".

One of the things I like about the iPhone is that it isn't bulky: increasing its dimensions and its weight only adds to its bulk. That's regression, not progression.

I will not even consider an iPhone until the day where I can, without jailbreaking, plug it directly into a PC, and via MTP or MSC, access the files stored on it, using the device as removable storage. In addition, the requirement to use iTunes for ANYTHING needs to go away. As of right now, iTunes is still required for some updates (they are making progress here since iOS 5), for downloading some apps from the app store over a certain size, and for synchronizing/accessing media.

Remove those limitations and I would consider an iPhone.

What if AirDrop worked with your computer? I haven't yet heard of compatibility with AirDrop on the Mac, but it'd be very convenient if you could just send a document or media file through the local network.

Which updates absolutely need iTunes? As far as I can recall, I upgraded one device directly to iOS 6.0 through OTA, not to mention the usual smaller upgrades. I know you don't need iTunes to download apps over a certain size -- you need WiFi, but not iTunes.

There is no reason to go back to apple. For 1 their UI and icons look worse than ever based on pictures of iOS7, I mean seriously people made fun of MS, have you seen that it looks like it was made for a 2 year old. The second is momentum. Its gone, app development is going to start heavily turning in Androids favor over the next couple years as you own the phone. Why would you want to get on the wrong side of a downward trend?

The other thing is for apples sake I think its not about producing a larger iPhone its about continuing to produce a small iPhone AND, keyword AND producing a larger phone. Apple sell plenty enough iPhones to justify splitting production into more than one model. If apple produces a larger iPhone how many people have you seen who say I want the smaller iPhone? Well I know half of them are full of shit and actually want a big iPhone but are just married to apple, but the other half might be serious and if apple switches they will have no reason to stay with apple. For a number of years apple has had a good grip on the high end but small phone market.

Finally it seems fairly unlikely because apple want to have a small screen size so they can force people to buy iPads.

There is no reason to go back to apple. For 1 their UI and icons look worse than ever based on pictures of iOS7, I mean seriously people made fun of MS, have you seen that it looks like it was made for a 2 year old. The second is momentum. Its gone, app development is going to start heavily turning in Androids favor over the next couple years as you own the phone. Why would you want to get on the wrong side of a downward trend?

Might want to use iOS 7 before you make too many presumptions!

As for momentum... well, you need to actually show that momentum happening, not simply proclaim that It Is So. For the most part, the recent trend has been toward putting Android on a more equal footing, rather than giving it the lead: the Android app now comes at the same time as or shortly after the iOS version, instead of being a year late. However, it's still regularly the case that the iOS version comes out first, and it's sometimes exclusive to the platform despite being popular (and thus easier to justify as a port). The truth is that iOS is still overall kinder to developers, and those developers still make considerably more from paid apps on the platform.

Finally it seems fairly unlikely because apple want to have a small screen size so they can force people to buy iPads.

Apple has gone on record more than once in saying that it doesn't mind cannibalizing its own products (see the iPad affecting Mac sales), because that's preferable to watching someone else do it. A 4.7-inch iPhone would still be much smaller than a 7.9-inch iPad mini, too.

Oh another one of those guys who says you cant know anything till you try, whatever you say bud if you cant see it looks like something on a vtech kids game that's your problem.

I said the momentum would be shifting, not that it is already there. Google is shipping way to many more devices over apple for developers to be stupid much longer.

Apple lies through their teeth like every other company, if they gave a shit about anything they said would they sit around trying to force people for 3 years while competition provides all sorts of solutions? Even MS was able to get windows 8 out before apple even had a convertible or larger screen device. No rather the opposite is the case they will force consumers to keep buying 3 different devices as long as they can until the share holders decide they want cook out.

What if AirDrop worked with your computer? I haven't yet heard of compatibility with AirDrop on the Mac, but it'd be very convenient if you could just send a document or media file through the local network.

I can already do this on Android in addition to the ability to plug in via MTP/MSC. Very important to me and I don't care for workarounds over simplicity.

Sorry man, iPhone/iOS is not my cup of tea.

I said the momentum would be shifting, not that it is already there. Google is shipping way to many more devices over apple for developers to be stupid much longer.
There's market share and there's revenue potential. Developers earn greater revenue with iOS apps than they do Android apps: 14% more per month, on average, according to a recent report.

Developers will stop bothering with iOS when the revenue potential slides below Windows Phone's, which...will never really happen.

That's BS and you know it, that argument works for a short time and then it falls apart. Its like if your selling a product and sales start to slow so you just say well I will raise the price and make the same amount of money. Except all it does is drive more of your customers away over time.

There is no on or off switch its a gradient. it started out that no one would develop for android, then as more and more phones shipped more people jumped online. Now days pretty much everything ships on android except a few items even those sometimes the devs do it on purpose and make a "copy" for android. Over the next couple years we are going to see the real materialization of this. As we continue we will see the reversal of this to android being the dominant developer platform. Right now we are in the phase were devs like to purposely release on iOS first because those customers are stupider or will pay more for free flash games. And if they announced it was free on android those customers would freak out. But as Android extends it's lead that inertia will reverse.

Not a chance in hell. I was a long time iPhone user and even when I was using it the Apple way of doing things frustrated me on a daily basis. They could release an iPhone that licked my balls and I still wouldn't switch. The company needs to go through some fundamental changes before I ever consider using one of their products again.

That's BS and you know it, that argument works for a short time and then it falls apart. Its like if your selling a product and sales start to slow so you just say well I will raise the price and make the same amount of money. Except all it does is drive more of your customers away over time.

Sorry Rudy, but he's correct. iOS apps generate more revenue with less overhead than the same apps on Android. There are exceptions (Angry Birds, among others), but they aren't the norm.

It's kind of like gaming on PC vs. console. Sure, there are more PCs in use than there are consoles, but games sell better on consoles than on PC (again, with exceptions). It's more about target audience than total marketshare. Almost anyone using an iPhone purchased within the last three years has the opportunity to use the latest version of the OS and has competent hardware. You can't say that about even Android devices purchased within the last 12 months.

How is that correct tons of people have old as shit iphones, are you going to argue that everyone who owns an iPhone always updates to the latest one? Every app I have ever downloaded on the play store has installed on ALL of my devices from ones as old as a galaxy S up to and S4 and worked.

And second I did not counter his point in the present I counter it in the near future. What you are saying is like saying oh well its impossible to make any money off android so you shouldn't buy one and your completely wrong, people make millions off of iOS and nothing off of android back when android first released. That was true then and any bone head who believed it would remain that way for the next 2 years missed a big chance to get in early on android. Now we have the trend continuing. Apple losing more and more share it wont be long before news starts coming out about the same iOS apps making less money than android. If you buy a demanding app or game on a new iOS device it wont run well or at all on an old one, that exactly why several of my friends left as well as you being forced into running every newever version that become really slow.

How is that correct tons of people have old as shit iphones, are you going to argue that everyone who owns an iPhone always updates to the latest one? Every app I have ever downloaded on the play store has installed on ALL of my devices from ones as old as a galaxy S up to and S4 and worked.

And second I did not counter his point in the present I counter it in the near future. What you are saying is like saying oh well its impossible to make any money off android so you shouldn't buy one and your completely wrong, people make millions off of iOS and nothing off of android back when android first released. That was true then and any bone head who believed it would remain that way for the next 2 years missed a big chance to get in early on android. Now we have the trend continuing. Apple losing more and more share it wont be long before news starts coming out about the same iOS apps making less money than android. If you buy a demanding app or game on a new iOS device it wont run well or at all on an old one, that exactly why several of my friends left as well as you being forced into running every newever version that become really slow.

Actually, there's some hard evidence that shows iOS users update very quickly. When you only have to address a small hardware base, and your OS isn't left to the mercy of carriers and OEMs that want to abandon support as quickly as possible, you can upgrade years' worth of customers within months.

As for your friends leaving because they were "forced" to use the latest version (which isn't true): just wait until they're not getting Android updates after about a year, and they can't run newer games at all. Apple needs to support older phones more gracefully, but it at least supports them in the first place.

That would all matter a lot if any program I ran on android didn't work on all the versions of android in my house. Its kinda like saying windows is fragmented so its not worth developing for, well maybe but it doesn't take long or much work to get most programs to run on every version of windows for the last 10 years.

So I guess you are arguing that iOS is the hardcore gamer platform?

That would all matter a lot if any program I ran on android didn't work on all the versions of android in my house. Its kinda like saying windows is fragmented so its not worth developing for, well maybe but it doesn't take long or much work to get most programs to run on every version of windows for the last 10 years.

So I guess you are arguing that iOS is the hardcore gamer platform?

Rudy, you're viewing it from an end-user perspective. We're viewing it from a developer's perspective (which some of us actually have/had to deal with!). Here's the difference:

End-user (you): All I care about is that the program that I want runs properly on the platform that I use.

Developer: Programming for Windows/Android requires testing on a myriad of hardware and software combinations (more overhead in time and cost) when compared to iOS/consoles. However, iOS/console owners have a track record of spending more money on apps/games than their Android/Windows counterparts.

Basically, for app development, Android has a higher cost (testing due to hardware and software fragmentation) with a smaller payout (fewer users pay for the app). The same holds true with gaming on PC versus consoles. Again, you're going to find great apps on Android, just as you'll find great games on a PC. You're even going to find amazing exclusives and superior versions. However, you won't be the lead platform, you won't have the same variety, and you won't have the same experience.

From an end-user perspective, you are absolutely correct. But from a developer perspective (which affects what you, the end-user, gets to use), this is a very serious issue.

No I am viewing it from both perspectives, if you are a developer you of all people need to be paying attention not to the now but the future. It will be the future when you finally learn to code for a new platform and have enough time to finish a product. I have seen plenty of cases of people coming late to a party to make money because they heard all the stories that happened in the past. If it bothers you so much to test on multiple devices you can target hot sellers like the galaxy S phones, doing so your apps will probably just work on almost all other phones.

Point is as android extends its lead that situation this situation is starting the reversal process now. Some developers are going to see this and driving primary development on android earlier. But sooner or later most are going to fall in line.

No I am viewing it from both perspectives,

Oh really? What have you developed? Links?

Here's some of my recent works;

Liberation for HTC Droid Incredible (full ROM)

HTC Droid Incredible Stock 2.2 OTA w/malware patch (modified ROM)

There's more, but I only need to link to some recent works. However, the majority of my work has been non-commercial. What do you have? Because as of right now, you are not showing any ability to grasp the developer side of this. If I were making a commercial application, or even a freebie, iOS would be my lead platform over Android.

Oh another person who says anyone who does not develop cant speak about it. yet fails to give any indication as to why I might actually be wrong.

Your counter should be you think that apple will be able to maintain its market share for reasons X or Y, not I have run out of reasonable counter so I will throw up the well you cant say anything because you aren't a phone dev argument. Hey I never built a car either but I can tell you what was wrong with GM, and I never smoked so maybe I should shut my mouth and not tell kids to avoid it right?

Oh another person who says anyone who does not develop cant speak about it. yet fails to give any indication as to why I might actually be wrong.
?

Reasons were given in my previous post, so there is no need to repeat myself. However, some clarification is needed, so I apologize for the miscommunication.

1. It's not "might actually be wrong." You "are actually wrong."

2. I didn't say that you can't speak about it. I am stating that you don't understand the developer perspective simply because you are not a developer. You don't understand how many man-hours are needed to test the simplest of changes. ROM development off a base-ROM (what I did) is about as easy as it comes. However, I tried to branch out to the Desire HD and Evo 4G. I got pretty far with the Evo, because it's essentially the same device as the Incredible with the same base ROM, but never released anything. Didn't make it past concept stage with the Desire HD. I simply didn't have the time to test these devices myself.

Anyway, you have no credibility on the developer side. Again, to make you feel better, you are right from an end-user perspective. But, the grown-ups are talking about the developer side, so sit down, shut up, and eat your damn candy :) There will be no further replies from me (directed at you) because you simply are not part of this conversation. You can't be until you have an understanding of it. People like wonderfield and Aurelius seem to understand the reasoning.

I will continue buying iPhones until the day comes that they are not the lead platform for gaming. That will be a very long time from now though. Considering the addition of the controller API in iOS7; iOS is only getting stronger for gaming. I've been lucky enough to grab certain apps which have been promptly removed from the app store when it was found they were hiding emulators in them as well, so I don't have much reason to even jailbreak.

No I am viewing it from both perspectives, if you are a developer you of all people need to be paying attention not to the now but the future. It will be the future when you finally learn to code for a new platform and have enough time to finish a product. I have seen plenty of cases of people coming late to a party to make money because they heard all the stories that happened in the past. If it bothers you so much to test on multiple devices you can target hot sellers like the galaxy S phones, doing so your apps will probably just work on almost all other phones.

Point is as android extends its lead that situation this situation is starting the reversal process now. Some developers are going to see this and driving primary development on android earlier. But sooner or later most are going to fall in line.

For a lot of developers, the future is "staying in business." It's risky to throw money at a big Android project when your app will be harder to find and get fewer paying customers. Big companies that can afford to take the risk (or whose project won't work anywhere else) may go Android first. A company whose long-term health depends on its next app, however? It's going to focus on iOS.

Besides, thriving competition in the smartphone world requires strong app support on more than one platform. Right now, iOS and its better app ecosystem are all that are keeping Google from an Android monopoly and the death of any real choice in the market.

Back