Would you choose a 12GB or a 24GB RTX 3090?

12GB 3090 or 24 GB 3090?

• 12 GB for $1200

Votes: 70 52.6%
  • 24 GB for $1600

Votes: 36 27.1%
  • How dare you suggest 12 more GB of GDDR6X isn't FREE

Votes: 27 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
12GB is not enough. If you're going to be spending over a grand for a video card you're going to at least want it to last a console generation.

Oh come on, we all know the price of RAM, and that's for overpriced CONSUMER modules! Even if it is DDR4 and not GDDR6X.
When bought B2B in bulk orders, it'll be even cheaper. Certainly not on the order of $400 for 12GB,

16GB would have been more ideal but unfortunately I don't think this 3090 has a 384 bit memory bus hence the lower VRAM. 24GB is just overkill and would be insanely expensive.

Ignoring a poll about something you don't want.
Yet, so many people agree. So the poll isn't to find out how much you're willing to spend on the memory, just if your willing to spend these 2 prices on the card? Then the title of the poll is incorrect. This is akin to Sony putting out a poll asking if you would pay $800 or $1000 for the ps5 and not having an option of neither. They would thus conclude they can sell for $800 because everyone who was only willing to pay $600 can't vote. Seems logical and exactly how polling is/should be done.

Oh come on, we all know the price of RAM, and that's for overpriced CONSUMER modules! Even if it is DDR4 and not GDDR6X.
When bought B2B in bulk orders, it'll be even cheaper. Certainly not on the order of $400 for 12GB,

Apple charges $200 for 8GB of cheap basic DDR4.

This GDDR variant, is the extreme bleeding edge, the absolutely fastest memory in DDR family that exists, and NVidia is likely paying even more to get first access, possibly with a period of exclusivity, and on top of that NVidia has even higher margins than Apple, and premium products are where margins maximize.

Given all that, $400 for 12GB of GDDR6X is not out of the question, if not more.

Yet, so many people agree. So the poll isn't to find out how much you're willing to spend on the memory, just if your willing to spend these 2 prices on the card? Then the title of the poll is incorrect. This is akin to Sony putting out a poll asking if you would pay $800 or $1000 for the ps5 and not having an option of neither. They would thus conclude they can sell for $800 because everyone who was only willing to pay $600 can't vote. Seems logical and exactly how polling is/should be done.

No, it's like having a poll that asked would you pay $500 for PS5 with 500G storage, or $600 with 1TB. If you want to say neither, you aren't in the market for a PS5 because it's not going to be less than that.

If you put out a poll asking people how much they want to pay, they will simply choose the lowest amount.

This is a poll to see if people are still keen on 24GB when ugly reality of the hefty price increase that will accompany it, is attached.

We could quibble till the end of time about the exact nature of what these price increases will look like, but I think I made a reasonable stab at it.

If you are unwilling to pay either amount, you simply aren't in this market, NVidias crazy new top end card is very unlikely to be cheaper than last generation.

I voted for the meme option, but personally I wouldn't waste $400 on VRAM. I remember people making the same argument for "I NEED MOAR VRAM" back in the HD 5870 days with 3GB vs 6GB. Those HD 5870's with 6GB were way outdated before it became very useful.
Keep in mind this is all for gaming.

No, it's like having a poll that asked would you pay $500 for PS5 with 500G storage, or $600 with 1TB. If you want to say neither, you aren't in the market for a PS5 because it's not going to be less than that.

If you put out a poll asking people how much they want to pay, they will simply choose the lowest amount.

This is a poll to see if people are still keen on 24GB when ugly reality of the hefty price increase that will accompany it, is attached.

We could quibble till the end of time about the exact nature of what these price increases will look like, but I think I made a reasonable stab at it.

If you are unwilling to pay either amount, you simply aren't in this market, NVidias crazy new top end card is very unlikely to be cheaper than last generation.
I would agree had there been more than 2 options. I would pay $200 for the extra but not $400. It's really not a poll about the amount.ykid pay for ram, this is a poll on if you'd pay a specific price. Had it had "what would be the most you'd pay for 24 vs 12" and options where $100, $200, $300 and $400, then sure. Ive always bought the higher ram model when available (unless it was completely unreasonable). I would happily pay $200 extra for double the memory, but not so at $400. $300 would be iffy. So, if the poll is to find out how much you are willing to pay the options don't make sense, so for me it's none of the above.

I would agree had there been more than 2 options. I would pay $200 for the extra but not $400. It's really not a poll about the amount.ykid pay for ram, this is a poll on if you'd pay a specific price. Had it had "what would be the most you'd pay for 24 vs 12" and options where $100, $200, $300 and $400, then sure. Ive always bought the higher ram model when available (unless it was completely unreasonable). I would happily pay $200 extra for double the memory, but not so at $400. $300 would be iffy. So, if the poll is to find out how much you are willing to pay the options don't make sense, so for me it's none of the above.

Just like real life, you don't get to choose the price. The manufacturer does that.

24gb for $1600 if I had to pick one of the choices. Although 12gb for $1000 and 24gb for $1200 would sure be nice. I wonder if they're positioning it like the 980ti and Titan X where the only difference between them was the amount of memory.

I’ve only bought a flagship once with the 780 Ti. I’m considering it again this time since I’m keeping hardware much longer. Definitely want to see what Big Navi does first though.

16GB would have been more ideal but unfortunately I don't think this 3090 has a 384 bit memory bus hence the lower VRAM. 24GB is just overkill and would be insanely expensive.

That gpu would be for multi gpu ML lab setups, or people trying to push the limits of creative payloads.

GDDR6X is not some miracle chip - it's only slightly higher speedup than the last time we developed an X-spec...so bus widths on new faster cards are going to have to remain constant.

GDDR5X was a 25% increase, and GDDR6X is a 30% increase. There's no way you could magically build a card running 30-40% faster than a 2080 Ti BUT run on 256-bit GDDR6X (and thus, offer 16GB ram, like the PS5).

I'm assuming the 3090 is just another rebranding of the 2080 Ti-series (or maybe Titan RTX rebrand?), but we won't know until next month.

Last edited:
Reactions: sethk
like this
It'll be a couple years before you need more than 12gb vram. Most multiplatform games will do fine with the xbox series x/pc as baseline.

There are rumors of needing more vram for ps5 ports due to how the devs are trying to figure out how to deal with transferring the ps5 streaming capability to pc, and how more vram/ram will be needed because devs are considering loading entire levels to memory to compensate (Moores Law is Dead). The problem here is playstation ports are always a shitshow (HZD, Detroit Become Human) and most playstation ports take 2-4 years to make it to PC anyway. In 2023 if you are a cutting edge gamer then you've already probably upgraded to a 4080 Ti anyway, so what you choose for VRAM options on Ampere 30 series isn't that big of a deal.

Buying an Ampere 30 series card is a decision to run current games at 4k120, its not meant to be a future proof buying choice to keep up with PS5 titles (and won't last long anyway with a 7nm TSMC refresh next year).

I was hoping for 16-20GB but between the two I'd absolutely rather have the 24GB.

It depends on how much extra has to be paid obviously, can't say otherwise, little extra like 50~$100 maybe. $100+ no. Like history has it, GPUs are almost never fast enough to be able to take good use of the extra capacity, there's usually a reason engineers picks a certain amount of VRAM. All GPUs that have had "double the amount" versions have shown very little difference in performance even when you max out the VRAM and is mostly a business move.

With 24GB I would finally be able to interpolate frames in less than 2 days perhaps, so I would jump at that.

I think you are looking at system memory. FS2020 lists 8gb vram and 32gb system ram for ideal specs.

oh yeah...my bad...I've been researching parts for my new build over the past few weeks and system RAM has been on my mind...I've been going back and forth over 16GB vs 32GB

Battlefield 5 and Escape from Tarkov can go over 16GB in certain situations...Flight Simulator 2020 is the first game that lists 32GB as it's Ideal Specs

Can you provide a citation? I'm seeing ~6GB usage at 4K from Overclock 3D.

13074420285l.jpg

IMHO it should be 3080ti having 16GB and Titan Replacement having 24GB

Dont think the top end non titan card needs 24GB and putting 11GB/12GB is kind of a slap in the face.

IMHO it should be 3080ti having 16GB and Titan Replacement having 24GB

Dont think the top end non titan card needs 24GB and putting 11GB/12GB is kind of a slap in the face.

Generally it gets ugly if you want uneven amounts of memory on your Memory bus. So typically you want 1 (or maybe 2) chips for each 32 bit memory channel. The 3090 has 384 bit bus, which leads to either 12GB or 24GB.

For the cards based on the same GPU chip with some disabled units will have either a 320 (10GB or 20GB) or 352 bit bus ( 11GB or 22GB).

You would need to step down to a 256 Bit bus to have 16GB card, or step up to a 512 bit bus, but that isn't happening with Ampere.

It will be at least $1200. Realistically it will be more.

You're probably right, in which case I'll go for the 3080 or something.

We did start to see some 2080 Tis for around $1000 eventually, so maybe there's hope. I guess it depends on what AMD comes out with, and when.

Back