Would you buy open box?

Because Microcenter is close and will take anything back during the return window--- Open box all day long here.

My Ryzen 2600 and the CH7 mobo in my sig rig were open box. Still get the combo savings with open box mobos and cpus so the deals can get sweet. Picked up a 16Gb 3600 ddr4 GSkill kit open box a few weeks ago for 84 and change. Its in the HTPC with a 2400g.

off the top of my head in the past couple of years:
3x 1050tis
980 founders
rx 480 nitro 8g--
rx 580 msi gaming x
multiple mobos for myself/friend/fam/client builds
ram kits

Every Monitor, TV and Laptop i've bought in the past 5+ years has been used, open box or refurbished.

Why pay full price? I don't mind a scratch if it saves me a few hundred dollars.

Hell my main videocard is a GTX 1070 that I bought used that was explicitly sold dirt cheap because the previous owner was using it to mine until that became no longer profitable. Been a great card for gaming for me.

Never had an issue with any of them except for one of my monitors has a dead pixel, but it was a 28inch 4k monitor for $130 that i'm using almost exclusively for monitoring software, so.... whatever.

And the savings can be ridiculously great too when the items are bnib. I just opened a delivery from Provantage that I got all open box and more than 50% of the items were brand new never opened--just old stock. :)

The crazy high-quality shielded cat6 cable actually had a date sticker on it--it was sitting on the shelf since 2010! On one hand, it was a steal, and on the other hand I felt like I rescued it, lol. Iperfed wonderfully and will probably serve me for a decade or more since the cheapo cat5s I bought back in the early 2000s are still working today. Now that I think about it, can ethernet cables be heirlooms? :ROFLMAO:

Oh and then there's the BNIB genuine HP server memory in an UNOPENED blister pack with the HP security seal still intact that I got for HALF the price of used ones on ebay. Sure it's from 2014, but my server is older than that, haha. Just so much win in open-box sections as many others have attested to. (y)

The one thing to watch for though is that 'small savings' trap. Sometimes open box things are literally just a few dollars cheaper than new--and in that case might as well get new instead.

I've bought a few open box things lately from blinq. In July 2018 I got 2x Acer Nitro 5s with the i5 8300H, 8gb of ram, 256gb nvme ssd, 15.6 1080p ips, and 4gb 1050 Ti for $465 each. November 2018 I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 9.7 for $300. The Laptops were certainly lightly used with some minor scratches on the case, and came in cardboard packaging. The tablet was basically brand new, the original box was gouged by the tablet and accessories were undamaged.

Scored an Alienware 1440p Ultrawide on Newegg for like $700 about 2 months ago no flaws,LG ultra gear nearly identical panel for $800 recently, has one stuck pixel will not display black. Extremely pleased with both.

Why has this not occurred to me? Definitely going to grab an open box SSD from Microcenter now.
And beyond returns, you still have the manufacturer's warranty, so you're still good.

Only way you could get screwed on that is if someone else did a 'buy new and box the bad one' on the location and they didn't catch it before it went to open box. But even in that case you should be able to return it without any hassles since the retailer shouldn't have let that even hit the floor.

Open box worked for me again snagging a $20 usb-ethernet for $12 at Best Buy. And I was able even able to check the box before buying. (y)

It totally depends.... example:

I'm more apt to buy something like a CPU or an SSD because chances are damage to those is readily apparent.
Motherboards? No way.
Hard Drives (spinners)? VERY unlikely

It's important that I'm speaking as a customer shopping retail. Hardly any of the above apply to sellers / traders on the [H]ard|Forum. I've been dealing here for TWENTY YEARS and have never been burned a single time. *knocks on wood*

<EDIT>

I take that back. I got burned by ONE person on the [H] who goes by the username "Solitude". He sold me a Gigabyte Windforce, I think it might have been a 780 or 980, Absolutely dead out of the box.

Last edited:
Open box only works for me if it comes with the full manufacturers warranty (less if refurbed, et al.) But without that warranty, open box is vastly overpriced used stuff. :D

Because Microcenter is close and will take anything back during the return window--- Open box all day long here.

Same. I live like 15-20 minutes from a MicroCenter and buy Open Box stuff due to their awesome return policies (basically no questions asked) on all their stuff. And have mentioned to friends who do the same and have never heard any complaints and they understand how awesome MicroCenter is.

I'd only purchase Open Box from MicroCenter and Amazon Prime though as Amazon will allow you to return with no restocking fee and they'll cover the return shipping.

I bought an open box motherboard on ebay once. Turns out the board was defective. I tried to contact the seller but no reply. Had to escalate to eBay and they had me send it back and they issued a refund. I bought the board I wanted on the egg. About 6 weeks later the brown truck dropped off the package I sent back to the original seller. They must have closed shop and it went to eBay. Of course they don't accept those so it came back to me instead. I ended up filing a warranty claim with gigabyte and they sent me a new board. I sold it super cheap.

Sometimes open box can be defective returns, and I've seen that more often as retailers just box it up and sell it as 'open box'. But if the deal is solid and the warranty is solid, it's just a bit of time to get a replacement. I did that recently and it was quite smooth--saved $100.

I bought a 34" Alienware ultra wide monitor off Newegg about 2 months ago and it turns out the damn thing was basically unused. Got a return invoice from an eBay buyer telling Newegg he accidently ordered wrong item. Not sure if newegg was supposed to leave that in the box. Cables and everything seemed factory packaged. Registered and Dell saying manufacturer warranty till 2021. Maybe luck??
I have gotten a Z97 completely dead from Newegg also, which they refunded me a few years back. Guess it's hit and miss, at least in my experience.

Amazon does that crap, too. Years ago, I returned a Samsung 120 Hz TV, when they had the "triple ball" effect. It was unfixable even with firmware. This was a problem for that whole line of TVs. About two months later, I got a random phone call from the guy who bought my "open box" TV from amazon. He wanted to know what was wrong with it. They left my return form with my phone number in the box. I told him exactly why I returned it. He didn't care. I guess amazon just takes your word for it if you say you're returning a working item. Just slap an open box label on it and relist it.

Depends on the product and the vendor, but I've definitely gotten some good deals on open box items. They're usually purchase mistakes or floor display models after all. I've gotten plenty of speakers and random AV equipment that way.
As long as the return policy and warranty stand, I'm all for it.

Depends on the vendor, Micro-center for example Yes.

I just picked up an open box monitor from them yesterday. I tested it in the store and everything looked good. I won't buy from Fry's that way, but Microcenter, definitely.

Same boat, I live 5 min from MicroCenter and have their open box page bookmarked. Both a blessing and a curse cause I buy stuff I don't need cause it's such a good deal.. Picked up a CH VI wifi for $40 last year bundled with a 1700X I got for $130.
- I've also bought Amazon warehouse deals with no issues. Snagged a PG34Q for $600 last year during their 20% warehouse sale
- I don't buy open box from NewEgg anymore, all their stuff looks like RMA and comes bare, really annoying when buying motherboard, no IO shield, accessories. I did get a Strix GTX1080 for a good price though.

Amazon does that crap, too. Years ago, I returned a Samsung 120 Hz TV, when they had the "triple ball" effect. It was unfixable even with firmware. This was a problem for that whole line of TVs. About two months later, I got a random phone call from the guy who bought my "open box" TV from amazon. He wanted to know what was wrong with it. They left my return form with my phone number in the box. I told him exactly why I returned it. He didn't care. I guess amazon just takes your word for it if you say you're returning a working item. Just slap an open box label on it and relist it.

most stores do.. their testing policy is "does it turn on? ok it does, put it back on the shelf"

Amazon seems to be even doing that with their new products as well. My dad's $600 leg massager was opened for sure. I really hate Amazon for this and avoid them like the plague for new products. If I wanted open box, I'd buy open box, but when it's supposed to b bnib, it better be if I'm paying full price.

I have had bad luck with open box motherboards from MC. If you do go for open box examine it thoroughly and make sure serials match up. Every mother board I tried to buy was missing everything that came with it. One had damaged pins in a x299 board. Other had thermal grease all over the inside of the socket. Probably bend pins also but didn't look farther past the grease. The ekwb I brought for a 1080ti looked brand new. It was just missing the thermal pads.

For me as a rule of thumb if it has moving parts I am less likely to buy open box. If it is like a monitor, receiver or components with no moving parts I will do open box, this includes buying mobo's, memory and such off forums or other.

If it has moving parts packaging, age, shipping or other then I am less likely to buy open box or used.

I don't do open box, to many unknown issues that can happen.
But if i need a refurb from a manufacture I will do that.
Apple, corsair, all seem good.

i would do evga B stock if needed.

I bought an open box EVGA GTX1080 from MicroCenter and had all kinds of issues registering it with EVGA. After some back and forth with their support I eventually got them to accept it by attaching a copy of the receipt to my profile and then a week later I got a cryptic email from them stating that the receipt was removed. I bought the card with the intent of doing a trade-up when Turing was released but EVGA denied that, any warranty, and the game pack.

cpu and ram yes they are easy to test

monitor probably not without a big discounsrs due to increased changes of defective pixels
MoBo' again not unless its a huge discounts as they are hard to test

GFxcard probably

I buy tons of open box stuff & read the description carefully. If I agree with it, I do it. If not, I don't.

I just recently purchased an XB 1 X in "Grade A" refurbished condition. XB1X is what, $499 retail? This one was $320 with a 20% off coupon so $256. After $98 ebay bucks I used I paid $158 shipped. The thing looks like nobody ever touched it! It included all accessories except the "included digital" game of NBA 2k19. Very happy and wouldn't have bought one otherwise.

Motherboards I never buy open box as the savings aren't there & they are waaaay more complicated with possibility of bent pins.

I also buy tons of stuff from CDW & maybe 95% of it looks like it was never opened. The other 10% is in various states...but they pay both shipping & return shipping & warranty is same as purchased new, so not much risk.

I buy tons of console games from Gamestop on their sales & in the last maybe 30-40 games I've bought I had one bad disc. Saved tons! Last night I just picked up NBA 2k17 for $2.99, Final Fantasy XV for $5, Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare for $5 as well as one other I can't remember. If I play each one for an hour or two only and they all suck, it's still cheaper than entertaining myself at the movies for an hour (Movies are $12-$25 for a ticket near me)

Open box can be a crap shoot, but I've gotten good open box deals. Being able to return it easily is usually enough for me to roll the dice.

-Mike

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
Yes and in fact, I just bought an open box / clearance Sapphire RX 5700 from Microcenter yesterday. They did verify it for me that it worked by testing it before I bought it, just in case.

Yes, I bought a motherboard from Frys for $00.01, yes 1 penny.

X470 motherboard has no video.

I was like what?

Put in my Ryzen 3 2200G, works. But it has a lot of residue and thermal paste everywhere from the previous owner so I RMAed the board and got a new one.

The most glorious thing ever.

Yes, I bought a motherboard from Frys for $00.01, yes 1 penny.

X470 motherboard has no video.

I was like what?

Put in my Ryzen 3 2200G, works. But it has a lot of residue and thermal paste everywhere from the previous owner so I RMAed the board and got a new one.

The most glorious thing ever.

And we all suffer from others like you doing RMA fraud. You could have cleaned up the board easily. Now if we suffer from even more inflated prices and shittier RMA service you can no longer complain.

And we all suffer from others like you doing RMA fraud. You could have cleaned up the board easily. Now if we suffer from even more inflated prices and shittier RMA service you can no longer complain.

RMA fraud for showing proof by the Frys technician saying no video? I guess.

Nah, was impossible to clean the thermal paste stuck between caps and ram sockets.

Who is complaining?

I just bought a ASRock x299 I9 MB open box from MC for $135 out the door. The box was beat up but the MB looked brand new with all the accessories. Website said it was incomplete. Damn good deal for a $400 mb. So I am 1/3 on good open box MB from microcenter.

I bought an open box Vega 56 on Newegg for $218 about 4-6 months ago. I had a return window so I figured what the hell. Turns out to be a great card for what I needed at the right price. I have also purchased many items over the years refurbished with great success.

i buy from Dell's outlet store all the time. Stuff comes and it looks brand new and more often than not is.

like this
The only things I would not buy open box are smallish unprotected components like a mobo, chip or ram for fear they have been handled. Would, and do, buy a video card, especially highend, tv, monitor etc. The higher the price the more I seek out open box.

Open Box:

Yes: if local store.
No: if mail order. I don't want anything to increase my chance of having to do a return, or increase the hassle of a return.

Now that I think about it. I prefer local shops even for new unless the price difference is quite large. Most shops will get close as they are generally all hooked into the same distribution channels.

like this
I buy Asus open box from Newegg all the time. They don't arrive as open box. They instead are plain white box labeled as manufacturer refurbished. Everything so far has checked out with Asus chat as full manu warranty via serial number. Also one of the invoices you have access to from Newegg doesn't label the purchase as open box. So if the serial comes back with older then you purchased (IE serial shows warranty ends before it would if you went by purchase date) then you have an invoice to back up purchase date for 3 year warranty. So far 2 RTX cards and 2 mobos.

Back