Would you buy a Steam OS console for your living room?

Would you buy a Steam OS console?

• Yes

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • No

Votes: 60 40.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 55 37.2%

• Total voters
Maybe. I have a gaming PC, I do have a 360 and am getting a WiiU soon. My living right now is mostly just my Roku3 for EVERYTHING. What I would do instead of buying a Steambox is, buy some dirt cheap box that will run SteamOS then stream everything over the network from my gaming PC in the other room.

Costs a lot less :)

I've played fighters and shooters on projectors using the wall. Neat....not as neat as NV Surround though. ;)

Surround is a game-changer man.
Projectors are neat, but the only benefit is that you're dealing with a larger screen. Again - neat. Your FOV is still limited to 1 display. When you add screens on the sides of that FOV, it is exponentially better.

JMHO :)

Get three projector and three walls. :D

I just wheel my PC out into the living room and hook up the projector.

I am excited about Steam OS over the long term though. I'm worried about the future of Windows.

Wouldn't streaming your desktop to your living room create some kind of more input lag in the chain?

Controller or PC Game-->KB+M input---->Monitor/Screen

With Steam OS

Controller or PC Game-->KB+M input---->Steam OS/Box---->TV Screen <--Which can also have more lag than a PC Monitor

I see this only good for Single Player games on Steam if this is the case, who wants more input lag? Not me. I will wait and see.

Wouldn't streaming your desktop to your living room create some kind of more input lag in the chain?

With Steam OS

Controller or PC Game-->KB+M input---->Steam OS/Box---->TV Screen <--Which can also have more lag than a PC Monitor

I see this only good for Single Player games on Steam if this is the case, who wants more input lag? Not me. I will wait and see.

I definitely think one would have to accept some compromises for the streaming functionality. It sounds like they're going to use the NVIDIA stuff that was used for the Shield. Now the Shield reviews seemed a bit positive in terms of lag, which isn't bad for a first iteration.

In due time we could see a hardware video encoder on the PC box and that could improve things... as well as better wifi. Like you say... it's a wait and see. But maybe not such a bad "hack" until SteamOS gets a bigger native library.

I vote a solid maybe, purely because I must be getting old and don't fit into the target market - if I wanted to play games on my tv, I'd have a pc sitting there. I just don't quite get the streaming to a device to play a game idea, yet. I totally get it with music / movies, but not so much a game.

Very interested to see how it all shakes out though, no doubt.

I'm worried about the future of Windows.

Poor, poor windows. :( Let's all say a little prayer for the monopoly tonight. God forbid they're ever forced to innovate beyond fischer-price tiles to keep their crown!

--Sent from my Windows 8

Last edited:

With Steam OS

Which is why - in the process of trying to establish a pure gaming OS - they've stated repeatedly how they're very focused on input latency and decreasing it at the low level. My guess is you wouldn't even be able to tell the diff between playing at your desktop PC and playing a stream via Steambox at your TV. I think that's a serious possibility.

Which is why - in the process of trying to establish a pure gaming OS - they've stated repeatedly how they're very focused on input latency and decreasing it at the low level. My guess is you wouldn't even be able to tell the diff between playing at your desktop PC and playing a stream via Steambox at your TV. I think that's a serious possibility.

*if wired

i think wireless will always have its issues. if you run an ethernet cable then yeah i think you may be right. i have not gamed on a wireless connection in years though, so maybe my extreme bias against it is now unfounded.

*if wired

i think wireless will always have its issues. if you run an ethernet cable then yeah i think you may be right. i have not gamed on a wireless connection in years though, so maybe my extreme bias against it is now unfounded.

You can also do Powerline or MoCa instead of having actual ethernet. But yeah, wireless is probably going to not be compatible/supported/work well.

You can also do Powerline or MoCa instead of having actual ethernet. But yeah, wireless is probably going to not be compatible/supported/work well.

yeah i've found powerline adapters to be passable, but still not even close to real thernet. beats the crap out of wireless though.

I'm happy enough just keeping my PC hooked up to my TV. As long as that works well, that seems to be the way to go.

I see no reason to move my gaming over to a lower resolution TV on a system with less horsepower than my main computer. So, no.

Depends on the hardware. If a system builder puts out something that's much more aesthetically interesting than what I can build myself (trivially), with the right set of components, I'd have no issue buying a "SteamOS Machine".

I suspect that there just isn't going to be anything all that interesting from the major OEMs, though. It's possible that boutique builders will release something interesting, but again, I don't hold particularly high hopes.

I see no reason to move my gaming over to a lower resolution TV on a system with less horsepower than my main computer. So, no.

my "tv" is a projector that is 10' compared to my 30" monitor. i can play with friends with multiple xbox controllers whereas in my room on my bed that would be weird. i have a beer fridge 3 feet from the couch in my den, not so in my room. there are many reasons someone might want to move SOME gaming to the tv, just because it doesnt suit you doesnt mean it wont suit others.

Back