Would you buy a new GTX1050ti or a used GTX1060? (pc bios limits to Pascal.)

alpharalpha

Weaksauce
It's for a child so performance isn't the issue; durability is key. The three new 1050ti are MSI/Gaming & Gigabyte; reviews aren't inspiring. It's going into an older XPS8300 that's bios limits it to Pascal. Do you think a used GTX1060 is a better choice--thinking if they've lasted this long might continue. But no warranty so is gamble. If so, are there any particular models/manufacturers that are known for being long lasting?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Grab the new card since it will have a warranty. Also, if performance doesn't matter then a 1030 should do the trick. Save some cash.

Grab the new card since it will have a warranty. Also, if performance doesn't matter then a 1030 should do the trick. Save some cash.
I thought about that, but if going that route how about the RX550; it's same price as GT1030 and a bit more powerful?

What does the PC need to do that the Intel HD graphic is struggling with ?

Is going to be child's gaming pc; he doesn't play games that require much of a gpu but when he does it needs to have one.

You will get some peace of mind with the new card, but lose performance over the 1060. The 1060 might also be cheaper depending on what variety you get. Surprisingly, people still pay decent money for "parts only - not working" cards on ebay.

Whichever card you get, make sure to do a good burn-in to make sure it is working out of the box.

I bought a used 1060 (EVGA SSC) for my current build as a placeholder until I figure out what super fancy card I end up buying, and have been pleasantly surprised at its abilities.

I've seen that one on eBay, is nice, long for my use, but nice. The Gigabyte 1060 has caught my eye, the build quality looks really good; I don't think most of these 1060s were budget cards. The 1050ti that are available don't have copper heatsink tubing or high quality fans, now they are
budget cards. The Powercolor RX550 isn't bad for $85 new; or used 1060 3gb for around $100; new 1050ti $160. Of course I'd have to replace the psu for the 1060.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I would for my htpc, but people want too much money for them.

1060 requires PCIE power, so make sure you have the connector, be it 6 pin or 8 depending on brand. If we are talking about 1060 6gb, I'd say it's worth getting over the 1050ti, but if you are comparing a 1050ti to a 1060 3gb, I'd get the 1050ti.

1060 requires PCIE power, so make sure you have the connector, be it 6 pin or 8 depending on brand. If we are talking about 1060 6gb, I'd say it's worth getting over the 1050ti, but if you are comparing a 1050ti to a 1060 3gb, I'd get the 1050ti.
I have no problem with the performance of a 1050ti, it's that they are so overpriced and cheaply made compared to the 1060, looking at the Gigabyte 3gb one, it has copper heatsinks, backplate, etc; the new 1050ti are just cheaply made, especially for $160. I don't think a 6gb would fit in that case and if it did would probably put out too much heat; the case only has a little front intake where I can install a 92mm fan in addition to the back chassis fan. So yeah, it probably is going to be the 1050ti. If that pc was just one year newer could use Turing, I originally thought was just going to pop a 1650 in it.

what is the bios limitation? I can't see why you couldn't put a 1650 in any motherboard with a PCIE slot.

edit: I read OP now.
Legacy bios, something about msdos VESA mode 103 support to get past splash screen/f2, it's a mess, might be possible but too many steps and depending on manufacturer still might not work. I'm fine with a 1050ti, just not going to pay $160 for a budget built one; will look for used on eBay. Or put a new PSU in an get the 1060, need to find out about heat output of the 1060, might be too hot for the XPS tower case.

Legacy bios, something about msdos VESA mode 103 support to get past splash screen/f2, it's a mess, might be possible but too many steps and depending on manufacturer still might not work. I'm fine with a 1050ti, just not going to pay $160 for a budget built one; will look for used on eBay. Or put a new PSU in an get the 1060, need to find out about heat output of the 1060, might be too hot for the XPS tower case.
You could always run a custom curve and undervolt it in MSI Afterburner, that would keep it cooler. I push mine the other way and it does get warm.

1060 3gb. Had no idea they were this cheap. As long as your PSU has pcie power connector. Some 1060s have an 8 pin, some have 6, your psu likely has dual 6 pin so if you get a card with 8 pin power you will need an adapter.

It's for a child so performance isn't the issue; durability is key. The three new 1050ti are MSI/Gaming & Gigabyte; reviews aren't inspiring. It's going into an older XPS8300 that's bios limits it to Pascal. Do you think a used GTX1060 is a better choice--thinking if they've lasted this long might continue. But no warranty so is gamble. If so, are there any particular models/manufacturers that are known for being long lasting?

How the fuck would the BIOS limit it to Pascal? That's not a thing I've ever heard of. Any PCI-Express compatible device should work in any system with PCI-Express slots. That's kind of how things were designed.

How the fuck would the BIOS limit it to Pascal? That's not a thing I've ever heard of. Any PCI-Express compatible device should work in any system with PCI-Express slots. That's kind of how things were designed.
He's right, the 1650 and newer don't support legacy boards, or conversely, legacy boards don't support UEFI only cards. I'm sure there is some work around, but likely the legacy BIOS board will not recognize the GPU and therefore not post, unless it has an IGPU, but who knows, I looked it up and it's a documented issue.

1060 3gb. Had no idea they were this cheap. As long as your PSU has pcie power connector. Some 1060s have an 8 pin, some have 6, your psu likely has dual 6 pin so if you get a card with 8 pin power you will need an adapter.
If I go with the 1060 I'll probably just put my new CX650 in there--wouldn't trust the original PSU for more than the 75w of pci-e 1050ti; it's an 8yr old pc. The 650 is overkill but I have it as a backup if needed to RMA my Superflower which is unlikely. Just looked at it and it has 2x 6+2 pin.

From Dell:

Class 1 Dell bios requires DOS VESA Video mode 103 in order to post and get into F2 cmos setup. Windows 8 and UEFI came out in 2012. Last bios for this system was done in 2011. That also means that mitigations for spectre and meltdown are not forthcoming ever.
XPS 8300 does not support UEFI cards.
You can use kepler, maxwell, pascal based cards up to and including 1080TI with proper power supply but you cannot use UEFI Turing based cards aka RTX and 1650 1660
Legacy class 0 bios sytems need cards that support msdos VESA mode 103.

Back