Would watercooling only 1 card in crossfire make me a chump?

MrSneis

2[H]4U
I know this sounds really n00b, hell I shouldn't really be asking this!

I wanted to experiment with my 2 rigs after scoring a great deal of a 480gtx for the spare computer. This allows me to crossfire my main rig with two 6950's.

The catch is that in my loop I currently have my CPU + GPU on a single 3x120 rad (XSPC 6970 FC on the main card). Also since the 6950 xspc blocks are basically EOL it's going to be a challenge to find a spare block for good price.

For now I plan to run CF with the two cards; lower one on stock cooling and keeping my existing card in the loop.

1) Would it be "worth it" to seek out the second XSPC WB? Am I chump for even having the cards mis-matched like that?
2) Can my single 3x120 rad even handle it? I forgot the model exactly but I assume it was a low fin density "not cheap but not expensive" model.

You're not a chump man, just do what works for you. Even havign a single card under water will significantly lower temps for both as cmopared to having them both on air, and will also lower noise levels.

Not sure if your single rad can handle it with great temps. However, if you allow for a larger delta, you would probably still have marginally better temps than air cooling as well as lower noise levels.

Lol some people don't have the money for quad SLI water-cooling, so no, you're not a chump. TBH, I find SLI to be a risky setup (not sure about 600 series) but the frequencies of the cards sometimes don't match EXACTLY, which starts to look like a drop in FPS. I forget the name, something like "Micro tearing" or "mirco hitching". It's when the SLI'd cards are rendering the frames at a slightly different speed, making it look like a drop in FPS / screen tearing.

Back