Would upgrading to a Phenom II X4 805 be wise?

Aaron11

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm thinking of getting a Phenom II X4 805 as a cheap upgrade, but would it be worth it? I'm planning on overclocking it. The only thing I'm concerned about is the low multiplier. What should I expect for an OC and is:rolleyes: the extra 2mb of L3 cache unlockable? I will be using it for gaming and occasional video encoding.

Whether or not it unlocks is highly YMMV. The 425 is based on the C3 stepping I believe, which overclocks much better than the C2 stepping the 805 is based on.

I don't see any upgrade worth it for you at the moment besides a graphics upgrade.

If you could find a x4 830, I know microcenter had them for $50 and they're just OEM versions of the 925. It'd be a good upgrade if you want a quad only if you could find them..

Thats a downgrade. Get an AMD 955, 960, 965, or something along those lines, i have seen them for $100 multiple times even at newegg.

A 1075T would definitely be an upgrade, and will overclock probably fairly easily to 4.0 ghz, in addition to having the L3 cache. However, are you doing anything that can take advantage of 6 cores?

A 1075T would definitely be an upgrade, and will overclock probably fairly easily to 4.0 ghz, in addition to having the L3 cache. However, are you doing anything that can take advantage of 6 cores?
i do use handbrake alot because I like to rip my dvds and re-encode them in fraps. The concern I have with the x6 is whether or not my psu can handle it. I'm pretty sure it can handle it at stock but I don't think i could oc it very much.

I'm more concerned about your motherboard not being able to handle the overclock. Your PSU will probably be fine with just that 6850.

I'm more concerned about your motherboard not being able to handle the overclock. Your PSU will probably be fine with just that 6850.
Yea i Know what u mean. My motherboard is supposed to handle up to 140 watts but I wont risk it. I will probably just stick with a light OC on stock voltage, I was even thinking of undervolting it as well.

I recently replaced my X2 550 with a 960T and all I have to say is...WOW~! I'm currently running at 3.9GHz(17x @ 230mhz) but I think I can get it higher. I just haven't fully messed with it. I tried unlocking the other cores with no success though. So if you're thinking about an upgrade, i think you'd do well with the 960.
BTW, I got mine for $90 last week from Newegg. :D

Your motherboard will handle an X6 just fine. Mine is a lesser ASRock board than the one youve got and Ive beat the shit out of this thing short of taking a hammer to it. Ive crashed it a billion times, overclocked 4 different procs on it with voltages up to 1.6 and countless hours of Prime95 and this thing just keeps on trucking. I know the current crop of ASRock boards dont seem to be doing too well in reviews, especially at [H] but those from the 700 line seem to be built pretty well.

And kudos to you sir for having a Megadeth line in your sig and Queesnryche album name for a screenname. Well done.

I recently replaced my X2 550 with a 960T and all I have to say is...WOW~! I'm currently running at 3.9GHz(17x @ 230mhz) but I think I can get it higher. I just haven't fully messed with it. I tried unlocking the other cores with no success though. So if you're thinking about an upgrade, i think you'd do well with the 960.
BTW, I got mine for $90 last week from Newegg. :D

It was 90 bucks? damn, I can't believe I missed that!

Had to, I've only seen it as low as $109. I jumped on it then and am now a proud owner of an X6 at 3.6ghz on stock voltage. Great proc.

It was 90 bucks? damn, I can't believe I missed that!

He probably used the $40 for $20 Newegg coupon.
This. ;) It was $109 and I had that Newegg coupon. What a great buy!

And kudos to you sir for having a Megadeth line in your sig and Queesnryche album name for a screenname. Well done.
Thanks you sir. :D
BTW, is anyone have any luck unlocking the other two cores with a Gigabyte 770T-ud3p board? I've gone into the bios and I only see four cores when I unlock my cores. :confused:

hmm maybe i should look into one of those 960ts if I can find one for cheap. My board does have the ability to unlock the extra cores. I unlocked the fourth core and the l3 cache on my athlon ii x3, bvut it wasn''t stable. I didn't think it would be though because I bought it used and the guy told me he couldn't get it stable either. Provided I would've been able to get a stable OC, I wouldn't want to upgrade.

I second the 960T. It made a noticeable difference in my machine, going from a 940b that I could only clock to ~3.3 to the 960T that will go to 3.8 easy... it would probably go higher but I have to start bumping the voltage to get it to boot above 3.8 and I don't want to deal with the heat in my sg02. It stays pretty cool as is.

Back