Would throwing an RTX 3050 into an FX-6300 machine make any sense at all?

Halon

Gawd
To my slight befuddlement I’m getting an FX-6300 machine back which was loaned to a family member years ago. This was an old Asus Essentio desktop I remember throwing a decent 450W power supply into - it’s built around an M5A97 motherboard with UEFI, and at least at a surface level it seemed pretty competent given its obvious limits. If I were to throw in a video card to periodically manage a game on our TV, would an RTX 3050 be hopelessly bottlenecked?

Probably will be hopelessly bottlenecked yes. Keep the case, power supply and whatever else is ok in it (how old is that HDD/SSD?) and slap in an i3-12100F with the cheapest MB you can find for it. Then put on a RTX 3050.

Otherwise, salvage your power supply and toss the thing. Even the 8 core FX CPUs get utterly destroyed by any i3 made in the last 6 years.

An FX 6300 is not even close to meeting min requirements for any halfway modern games so no point in putting a 3050 with that.

An FX 6300 is not even close to meeting min requirements for any halfway modern games so no point in putting a 3050 with that.

OP never said anything about playing modern games.

The only way I can see this making any sense is if you planned on playing one of those ancient titles which got raytracing added, like minecraft rtx or quake, at 1080p (dlss).

Last edited:
I recently moved from a 1090T on that board with 16gb of hyperx ram, ssd drives and a Radeon 470.
For the money build a new computer, or give us a list of computer parts you have laying around and the games/ at ? 720,1090,4k level your trying to play at.

The only way I can see this making any sense is if you planned on playing one of those ancient titles which got raytracing added, like minecraft rtx, at 1080p (dlss).

Minecraft rtx is a remake. It's not the ancient java version.

Im gonna put a 400 HP engine in my car but the throttle only allows me to reach a maximum of 40 mph.

Reactions: Halon
like this
Im gonna put a 400 HP engine in my car but the throttle only allows me to reach a maximum of 40 mph.
The added benefit of a computer is that its many times easier to pull a video card than an engine for reuse down the road. So to speak.

I’ve got an Arc A750 in my main machine and don’t play a lot of AAA games, but like the option of dipping my toe into them. If I decide to toss the FX in favor of something else in a year I can, but am wondering what to expect if I decide to drop in a low end RTX. Given the current temperature of the market and used card prices, it may make more sense to snag an RTX 2060 even if it’s faster… Either way, if I did snag a new machine it’d probably feel like it came with a graphics upgrade to boost if 40+% of its capacity is being unfed by the FX chip.

The added benefit of a computer is that its many times easier to pull a video card than an engine for reuse down the road. So to speak.

I’ve got an Arc A750 in my main machine and don’t play a lot of AAA games, but like the option of dipping my toe into them. If I decide to toss the FX in favor of something else in a year I can, but am wondering what to expect if I decide to drop in a low end RTX. Given the current temperature of the market and used card prices, it may make more sense to snag an RTX 2060 even if it’s faster… Either way, if I did snag a new machine it’d probably feel like it came with a graphics upgrade to boost if 40+% of its capacity is being unfed by the FX chip.
Is there much of a market for used chips and boards? There's gotta be a ton of refurbished 2060s coming down the pipe. The 3050 and 60 cards are only good if you get a deal on them. Performance per dollar just isn't there for Nvidia right now.

Is there much of a market for used chips and boards? There's gotta be a ton of refurbished 2060s coming down the pipe. The 3050 and 60 cards are only good if you get a deal on them. Performance per dollar just isn't there for Nvidia right now.
eBay isn’t running low on 2060s. There are a few deals on RTX 3050s that look like pulls from new prebuilt machines that are running below market price, but I’m a little staggered by the high retail prices considering how badly they lag the RX 6600s in everything but pure ray tracing and supporting DLSS. I may go team red this time instead - Nvidia isn’t a hard requirement, I just tend to have predictable experiences with GeForces.

I ran an FX-8320 + Vega 64 combo a couple years ago... Sustaining- or even reaching- 60fps was a real struggle in recent AAA games. If you don't mind locking to 30fps or won't be playing recent games it'll be ok-ish.

Reactions: Halon
like this
eBay isn’t running low on 2060s. There are a few deals on RTX 3050s that look like pulls from new prebuilt machines that are running below market price, but I’m a little staggered by the high retail prices considering how badly they lag the RX 6600s in everything but pure ray tracing and supporting DLSS. I may go team red this time instead - Nvidia isn’t a hard requirement, I just tend to have predictable experiences with GeForces.
Yeah I think on the lower end of the spectrum AMD is they to go, even 6650 XTs cns be found for 250ish new sometimes below

A 3050 is hopeless as well. Let them be friends :ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
The logic, if you want a new card with a bit of future proofing, would be to buy a better price/performance AMD card. Why pay Nvidia tax for such a dog card?

Last edited:
Like others have said I'd just a get a used card for it if you want to play some older games.

A 3050 is hopeless as well. Let them be friends :ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
The logic, if you want a new card with a bit of future proofing, would be to buy a better price/performance AMD card. Why pay Nvidia tax for such a dog card?
Um it is a ripoff at current prices but the performance of the 3050 is just fine and will run most games maxed out at 1080p 60 fps with room to spare. It is way more gpu than an fx6300 should ever be paired with it.

Back