Would this new Corsair AIO option cover an entire 3960x?

MattyS22

n00b
Here is a link...it's the new iCUE H115i, from Corsair...it says it has a larger surface area for TRs....but does that include the 3960x & 3970x? Does anyone know yet?

Thanks

Pretty sure the package IHS size is the same on all TR so if it works on one it should work on all i would imagine. Larger cold-plate doesn't necessarily mean the fins under it will cover all the dies but you would hope so. Another question would be can the 240 rad handle the heat load of the larger TR... I would wait for a TR specific review before jumping on it myself.

Here is a link...it's the new iCUE H115i, from Corsair...it says it has a larger surface area for TRs....but does that include the 3960x & 3970x? Does anyone know yet?

Thanks

Those are still toys compared to...

This with the optional TR4 mount.

Essentially it will give you the same performance as a dedicated cpu block. Thus the real question is how much radiator you want to throw at it. I have one spare but haven't used it yet. I'm saving it for those times when I don't want to build a full loop and want something simple that doesn't give up any cooling performance.

Thanks

It doesn't look like it would cover the entire surface of Threadripper. It has a square block and Threadripper CPU's are rectangular.

Remember that the TR has "4 dies" to cover so usually the actual cooling area only covers like 3/4 of each die for most blocks that are adapted to fit over the CPU IHS. A custom cool is the way to go for water cooling. There are a couple of solid air coolers that do just as well as a non-dedicated AIO. The 140 mm Noctua TR does well and has a great price point. The Wraithripper unit tests pretty well also. It has a significant flaw in that it touches/pushes the back plate of my RTX 2070 slot 1 which also means I can't use the RGB cable to do fancy light stuff. Cooling is more than adequate at stock speeds and light overclocks. I picked it up because it was the only TR cooler at my Microcenter and I didn't want to wait for the Noctua which had a much better price point.

The Enermax TR4 AIO has significant reliability issues that should be investigated because it is really tempting but should be avoided.

If you like Corsair then why not just go with their Custom Loop's they sell. You can custom build one based on your case, MB, Proc, etc.

If spending the money on a 3960x why not just spend the extrahundred dollars to go custom loop vs AIO? a raystorm neo tr block is $90. Pump/res combo is $95. A 360 rad is ~50-60.

The only issue I have with that is the price, it costs double an AIO, all on it's own. I'm thinking go with mid-tier cooling for now, don't OC, and then in a few months go with something like what you posted.

oooh I see, it's a pump/block combo. One other question though...how can that be for ALL AMD socket types?? They're all different shapes, and I didn't see an STR4 adapter anywhere on their site

As soon as you introduce an adapter or a player that does not have water covering all dies, you might as well stick with the big noctua cooler until you can do something better. Buy some used parts and build your own cooling. I started with the wraithripper and am now assembling a cooling system.

There is a company developing a huge heat siphon cooler. I think its giant cooler or something like that. That has promise for the "never water" crowd.

If spending the money on a 3960x why not just spend the extrahundred dollars to go custom loop vs AIO? a raystorm neo tr block is $90. Pump/res combo is $95. A 360 rad is ~50-60.

What pump/res combo is 95? I can't find any less than 140

oooh I see, it's a pump/block combo. One other question though...how can that be for ALL AMD socket types?? They're all different shapes, and I didn't see an STR4 adapter anywhere on their site

Does not work with the Threadripper either directly or with hacking on a TR mount. Intel socket 115x or AMD AM4 only and then they are separate bloc/pumps not a single block/pump with multiple mounts. Not sure about AM2 or 3x at lease one of those deviate on hole spacing a bit.

What pump/res combo is 95? I can't find any less than 140

Yes, I just ordered a bunch of water cooling parts. I'm in for over $200 in fittings alone, not counting the Radiator, pump, or waterblock. I do have several spare fittings on the way, but Bitspower stuff is crazy expensive.

Count on $500 to start unless you're going all used stuff.

The following product is NOT a toy. It is a proven, reliable 5 year warranted high performance liquid cooler with excellent build quality and all for $117 or so. I've been using mine for the past 2 years and I've had no need for anything else since ;)

Completed Builds using Ryzen 3960x and Fractal Design Celsius S36 Blackout All-In-One Liquid CPU Cooler https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/cmPgXL

there's two models, the original and then they released a Blackout version.

"Fractal Design Celsius S36 Blackout AiO coolers now ship in a uniform all-black colour scheme, but retain the cooling modes and capabilities of their predecessor (the non-blackout version used in most reviews)

Good product review ---- > https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/fractal-design-celsius-s36-review,1.html

read the Newegg reviews (this is the Blackout version for $124)
https://www.newegg.com/fractal-design-celsius-s36-liquid-cooling-system/p/N82E16835352064

Last edited:

Thanks

If you have not already made a Corsair purchase, stay far, far away from their AIO's. I have an H100i v2, which is only 18 months old and it has had issues all along. Trapped air bubbles and now the cold plate does not properly mount flush on my Ryzen R5 3600. Yeah, I will be able to RMA it but, I have had zero issues with my Noctua Products, D15 and u14s, and the Hydro series have a lot of issues.

The following product is NOT a toy. It is a proven, reliable 5 year warranted high performance liquid cooler with excellent build quality and all for $117 or so. I've been using mine for the past 2 years and I've had no need for anything else since ;)

Completed Builds using Ryzen 3960x and Fractal Design Celsius S36 Blackout All-In-One Liquid CPU Cooler https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/cmPgXL

there's two models, the original and then they released a Blackout version.

"Fractal Design Celsius S36 Blackout AiO coolers now ship in a uniform all-black colour scheme, but retain the cooling modes and capabilities of their predecessor (the non-blackout version used in most reviews)

Good product review ---- > https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/fractal-design-celsius-s36-review,1.html

read the Newegg reviews (this is the Blackout version for $124)
https://www.newegg.com/fractal-design-celsius-s36-liquid-cooling-system/p/N82E16835352064

This here looks much better.

If you have not already made a Corsair purchase, stay far, far away from their AIO's. I have an H100i v2, which is only 18 months old and it has had issues all along. Trapped air bubbles and now the cold plate does not properly mount flush on my Ryzen R5 3600. Yeah, I will be able to RMA it but, I have had zero issues with my Noctua Products, D15 and u14s, and the Hydro series have a lot of issues.

This here looks much better.

That cooler has another round water block that doesn't look like it would completely cover a Threadripper.

That cooler has another round water block that doesn't look like it would completely cover a Threadripper.
yeah i have a h100 as well and there is no way it would properly cover a threadripper. not sure about his "mount flush" issue, mine is fine on my 2600x. the new h115 has a slightly bigger plate but i doubt it fully cover a TR.

They actually formed when I simply moved it from one computer to another.
well if the block is above the rad at all, even during moving it, it is going to collect the air. you'll need to make sure its mounted correctly, barbs at the bottom or rad top mounted and then tilt the system to get the air out of the block. or take the block off and run it below the rad to let the air out and back into the rad.

well if the block is above the rad at all, even during moving it, it is going to collect the air. you'll need to make sure its mounted correctly, barbs at the bottom or rad top mounted and then tilt the system to get the air out of the block. or take the block off and run it below the rad to let the air out and back into the rad.

Basically, the cold plate does not mount completely flat on the cpu, my Ryzen R5 3600. I have it installed on a Asrock B450 Fatality Gaming mITX board so therefore, it appears the mounting hardware is messed up. It is probably not the mainboard because I now have a Hyper 212 Black Edition RGB installed and it lays fully flat, without issue. In fact, it does not matter which way I turn the block on the H100i v2, the mount does not touch the cpu portion directed towards the back and therefore, that is why the machine overheats with the H100i V2.

Edit: I also tried using washers between the mounting bracket that is attached to the block and the thumb screws that hold it down. However, that made no difference, at all. I attached a picture to show you what I meant. If I turn and mount it 180 degrees, with new paste, the same pattern happens after I mount it and always on the same side of the cpu.

Attachments

• Coldplate.jpg
    Coldplate.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Basically, the cold plate does not mount completely flat on the cpu, my Ryzen R5 3600. I have it installed on a Asrock B450 Fatality Gaming mITX board so therefore, it appears the mounting hardware is messed up. It is probably not the mainboard because I now have a Hyper 212 Black Edition RGB installed and it lays fully flat, without issue. In fact, it does not matter which way I turn the block on the H100i v2, the mount does not touch the cpu portion directed towards the back and therefore, that is why the machine overheats with the H100i V2.

Edit: I also tried using washers between the mounting bracket that is attached to the block and the thumb screws that hold it down. However, that made no difference, at all. I attached a picture to show you what I meant. If I turn and mount it 180 degrees, with new paste, the same pattern happens after I mount it and always on the same side of the cpu.

Is that the correct bracket for an AMD? My H115i and my previous H60 both used the clamp down with two hooks bracket on my 3900x. Not the screw down one.

Is that the correct bracket for an AMD? My H115i and my previous H60 both used the clamp down with two hooks bracket on my 3900x. Not the screw down one.
if its the asetek based version it is a round block and uses that twist on bracket that mounts at the four corners. mine is like you describe, just the two middle "hooks". my guess would be that his bracket is bent.

For the H100i v2, yep, it is the correct bracket. In fact, the base plate that is used is the one that comes with the motherboard itself.

if its the asetek based version it is a round block and uses that twist on bracket that mounts at the four corners. mine is like you describe, just the two middle "hooks". my guess would be that his bracket is bent.

The problem is, the bracket is not bent. I get the same thermal paste pattern whether I mount it like it the picture or mount it 180 degrees around the other way, like I normally had it.

Edit: I am just updating this post so that if someone is wondering about the Corsair AIO coolers, this may help them decide what to do. I ended up turning the block 90 degrees and that allowed the cold plate to be properly mounted onto the cpu. However, it made no difference and the cpu kept overheating. Now, either the pump is failing or there is garbage in the fluid or the fluid line and it is not serviceable. I am going to RMA this unit and get it replaced but, I do not recommend buying any Corsair AIO coolers if you want long term reliability and performance. (Thing is barely 18 months old.)

Get an air cooler for the 39XX WX series processors, another brand of AIO or build your own loop, that is what I recommend.

Last edited:
Back