Would this new Corsair AIO option cover an entire 3960x?

MattyS22

n00b
Here is a link...it's the new iCUE H115i, from Corsair...it says it has a larger surface area for TRs....but does that include the 3960x & 3970x? Does anyone know yet?

Thanks

motqalden

[H]ard|DCOTM Feb 2018, June 2019
Pretty sure the package IHS size is the same on all TR so if it works on one it should work on all i would imagine. Larger cold-plate doesn't necessarily mean the fins under it will cover all the dies but you would hope so. Another question would be can the 240 rad handle the heat load of the larger TR... I would wait for a TR specific review before jumping on it myself.

thesmokingman

[H]ardness Supreme
Here is a link...it's the new iCUE H115i, from Corsair...it says it has a larger surface area for TRs....but does that include the 3960x & 3970x? Does anyone know yet?

Thanks
Those are still toys compared to...

This with the optional TR4 mount.

thesmokingman

[H]ardness Supreme
Essentially it will give you the same performance as a dedicated cpu block. Thus the real question is how much radiator you want to throw at it. I have one spare but haven't used it yet. I'm saving it for those times when I don't want to build a full loop and want something simple that doesn't give up any cooling performance.

Dan_D

[H]ard as it Gets

Thanks
It doesn't look like it would cover the entire surface of Threadripper. It has a square block and Threadripper CPU's are rectangular.

compcons

n00b
Remember that the TR has "4 dies" to cover so usually the actual cooling area only covers like 3/4 of each die for most blocks that are adapted to fit over the CPU IHS. A custom cool is the way to go for water cooling. There are a couple of solid air coolers that do just as well as a non-dedicated AIO. The 140 mm Noctua TR does well and has a great price point. The Wraithripper unit tests pretty well also. It has a significant flaw in that it touches/pushes the back plate of my RTX 2070 slot 1 which also means I can't use the RGB cable to do fancy light stuff. Cooling is more than adequate at stock speeds and light overclocks. I picked it up because it was the only TR cooler at my Microcenter and I didn't want to wait for the Noctua which had a much better price point.

The Enermax TR4 AIO has significant reliability issues that should be investigated because it is really tempting but should be avoided.

Jamie Marsala

Limp Gawd
If you like Corsair then why not just go with their Custom Loop's they sell. You can custom build one based on your case, MB, Proc, etc.

sabrewolf732

[H]ardness Supreme
If spending the money on a 3960x why not just spend the extrahundred dollars to go custom loop vs AIO? a raystorm neo tr block is $90. Pump/res combo is $95. A 360 rad is ~50-60.

MattyS22

n00b

The only issue I have with that is the price, it costs double an AIO, all on it's own. I'm thinking go with mid-tier cooling for now, don't OC, and then in a few months go with something like what you posted.

MattyS22

n00b

oooh I see, it's a pump/block combo. One other question though...how can that be for ALL AMD socket types?? They're all different shapes, and I didn't see an STR4 adapter anywhere on their site

compcons

n00b
As soon as you introduce an adapter or a player that does not have water covering all dies, you might as well stick with the big noctua cooler until you can do something better. Buy some used parts and build your own cooling. I started with the wraithripper and am now assembling a cooling system.

There is a company developing a huge heat siphon cooler. I think its giant cooler or something like that. That has promise for the "never water" crowd.

cyberguyz

Gawd
oooh I see, it's a pump/block combo. One other question though...how can that be for ALL AMD socket types?? They're all different shapes, and I didn't see an STR4 adapter anywhere on their site
Does not work with the Threadripper either directly or with hacking on a TR mount. Intel socket 115x or AMD AM4 only and then they are separate bloc/pumps not a single block/pump with multiple mounts. Not sure about AM2 or 3x at lease one of those deviate on hole spacing a bit.