Would this help with my wireless network?

AY786

Limp Gawd
Well let me just say happy holidays to everyone at [H]ardForum

Basically, ive just switched over my internet with another company and the standard router i got has to be plugged to the telephone socket and with my computer being in the loft and the telephone socket in the main living room downstairs, i have been having problems.

My first problem was when i connected my laptop to the router via ethernet downstairs, i was getting quite good speeds. Now with my PC in the loft, i was getting speeds like 500kbps when it is meant to be an 8mb connection, kept disconnecting every minute nearly, signal was always very low etc. I then gave up and connected this to my brothers computer on the second floor and the signal is low/good and the internet is fine with speeds of around (last test i did was while writing this - 4mbps). The router if anyone needs to know is a speedtouch (thomson) router and the wireless adapter is an netgear usb wg111t.

I just wondered to improve the connection in the loft, i was thinking of replacing the speedtouch (thomson) router that i got with the broadband package with the netgear rangemax next adsl+(dg834n) one and the usb adapter (wn121T). Im hoping this would improve the signal between downstairs and in the loft and therefore improve connection speeds.

Well, if the signal is low getting a better router will help. I'd suggest an N grade router for the extra signal strength to make sure it gets to the loft.

Back