Would this book be good to learn the basics from?

Grim Incarnation

Weaksauce
National Electrical Code (NEC) 2002 Handbook.

I am thinking about getting it because it would seem to be right for getting the basics dealt with, but also as a future reference for much more advanced things

I'm pretty sure that deals with electrical wiring regulations for construction and so forth, not the foundations of circuit design or anything. I'm also looking for n00b-friendly resources, but I don't believe that's what you're going for.

Try the NEETS modules from the US navy... Not exactly a bedtime story, but a lot of good info in condensed form.

Best luck getting it free would probably be from a public university library.

Good Luck

If you just want to learn about electronics and circuits and the basics there is an old but good book called "The art of electronics"

aL Mac said:
If you just want to learn about electronics and circuits and the basics there is an old but good book called "The art of electronics"

Agreed.... in fact that is a textbook in many schools now a days. ;)

I have a great simple book that was create by Forest Mims, what a name huh, titled Getting Started in Electronics. It is very basic, very good. It was sold at Rat Shack for years. My book was copyrighted in 1983.

You could always join the Air Force and go to Keesler AFb, for 43 freakin weeks like I did. Keesler was the Af's electronics school back in the old days. 18 weeks, 6 hours per day, 5 days a week for basic electronics. From 0 to Radar....... Get a book, get several books.

for basics, the mimms books are great. published for rat shack, but i'm sure you can find them elsewhere. they've been discontinuing a lot of stuff including their books so it might take some searching.
past that, go to college. nothing is better then hands on and not a lot of people can afford the 500$ trainer and 800$ oscilloscope.

Thanx for the help everybody, since I am canadian I believe it'd be a bit tougher getting the NEETS, and after a small bit of searching I havent found the Forest Mims books yet, so I am going to stick with the Art Of Electronics, Maybe in a few months you will se me here with a few Mods of my own :p

The NEETS stuff is classified "Approved for public release; distribution is unlimited". Meaning there's no copyright/national-security issues if you grab it with your favorite P2P program.

mattg2k4 said:
Yes, the text on ibiblio is a great place to learn, and a bit more "user-friendly" than the Art of Electronics, which can be very hard reading. Depending on how much you already know, you may also want to start with http://metku.net/index.html?sect=view&n=1&path=mods/sahkooppi/index_eng which is very good for those who don't yet understand the basics of voltage, current, and resistance.

I have already read that 5-6 times, understand everything, and want to further it to get a better understanding. I appreciate all your help thus far and will make you proud one day :rolleyes:

Back