Would this be a good trade? Alienware Laptop for Desktop

Yz388

Limp Gawd
I was thinking of getting rid my alienware laptop...and came across this offer.

AMD64 3500+ socket 939
-1gb PC3200 (Kingston 512mb Stick and Patriot 512mb stick)
-Sapphire X800XT Pci-Express
-Gigabyte motherboard with nForce4 chipset
-1x SATA Western Digital 80gb 7200rpm HDD
-Linkworld Wireless A/B/G Network card
-WinTV Go video capture card
-Emprex DVD-R/W-CD-R/W-CD-ROM-DVD-ROM. 8x
-Antec Smartpower 350watt powersupply

Would this be a fair trade for my aw (specs below)

Alienware 5500
p4 3.0
1 gig of pc3200 ram
60 gig 7200 rpm
radeon 9600 pro
internal wireless card
16.1 display

I think you'd probably be losing out a little... If it had a better PSU and HD, I'd hover to the yes side.

But I don't know much about laptops anyway.

Depends on what you are looking to do....i personally hate lappys (prob cus the one im typing on is my 11th...all of which provided by school)....the portability is nice and both are great machines...little bit of a toss up....IMO

Hows the battery life and what type of screen?

For the most part I think though you would be on the losing end, since most high end gaming laptops are hovering around 2k

And the desktop is nice, but not overly decked out.

Battery life is decent (hour and a half not gaming)

It is the 16.1 inch screen, personally, its not to nice compared to alot of other screens i saw browsing comp usa the other day.

hmm, if im losing out, i should ask for him to throw something else in.

Anyways, anyone else have any feedback on the subject? Thanks

^^^^ Agreed... No monitor, no deal.

I got a few desktops and 1 lappy... I'll be damned if Id give up my lappy tho... traveling is always fun. Get a power inverter for your car and riiiiiiide

The desktop machine is faster, yes you'd win out for performance. But not for value. The laptop is probably worth more than the desktop as notebooks hold thier value well.

While that Desktop system is farily nice, aside from the video card its definatley nothing special. Nothing you can't put together yourself cheaply.

ya, im mainly thinking of doing it because i want to use his cpu and mobo.

How much do you think they cost? (the 3500 and nforce3)

This way, i can keep my laptop, and use the 300 bucks i got laying around maybe for a cpu and mobo upgrade

Yz388 said:
Battery life is decent (hour and a half not gaming)

It is the 16.1 inch screen, personally, its not to nice compared to alot of other screens i saw browsing comp usa the other day.

hmm, if im losing out, i should ask for him to throw something else in.

Anyways, anyone else have any feedback on the subject? Thanks

For screen I mean is it, SGA, XGA, WUXGA, etc

Depends if you actually utilize your laptop on the road. If it just sits at home without leaving your zip code, then trade. But if you actually take it on the go, then dont....

I cant find out what type of screen it has, i checked in the alienware binder.

I dont bring it anywhere, i bought it thinking i would need it, and i am going to college next year, but alot of people say they dont even use them in college. They just bring there desktops.

Yz388 said:
I cant find out what type of screen it has, i checked in the alienware binder.

I dont bring it anywhere, i bought it thinking i would need it, and i am going to college next year, but alot of people say they dont even use them in college. They just bring there desktops.

What's its native resolution?

I think my final decision is to keep the laptop, and buy a amd 3500 somewhere with a mobo. Now if i only knew anything about amd, i could be ordering it now.

How much faster is the 3500 then my 3.0 @ 3.2?

Is the amd 3000 the competiation for the intel 3.0? Or am i totally off?

I would have taken that deal right away...3500 vs. 3.0, x800xt vs 9600 pro, socket 939 flexibility...geez that is a steal..

XSNiper said:
I would have taken that deal right away...3500 vs. 3.0, x800xt vs 9600 pro, socket 939 flexibility...geez that is a steal..

performance wise yes, but money wise... it's borderline.

Yz388 said:
I think my final decision is to keep the laptop, and buy a amd 3500 somewhere with a mobo. Now if i only knew anything about amd, i could be ordering it now.

How much faster is the 3500 then my 3.0 @ 3.2?

Is the amd 3000 the competiation for the intel 3.0? Or am i totally off?

The "3500+" tag is a comparison called the P-scale. It is the kind of performance you might expect from a Pentium 4 in comparison to that AMD. So in AMD terms, a 3500+ is equivalent to a P4 clocked at 3.5GHz. Keep in mind that the AMD64 P-scale is good, and is either spot-on or lower than it should be. Nevertheless, it's a very general comparison of CPU performance.

The 3500+ would outperform your P4 everywhere.

And I agree that in a comparison of performance, the desktop was a better deal but as far as price is considered... I agree with Hydralisk.

Thanks SS for explaining that...It out performs mine is every aspect because its 64 bit, or just because it is a faster cpu?

Not in regards to 64-bit, you have to keep in mind when they say that they mean it's "64-bit ready" (Although that's no longer the case, since 64-bit is technically here it is 64-bit capable). The reason it performs better is simply because the architecture itself is better. The processor itself outperforms the Pentium 4 due to quite a few reasons, but I'll just go by saying the AMD64 is a more efficient processor all-around.

Keep in mind your processor is still a good one, regardless of what some people may tell you.

Yz388 said:
Thanks SS for explaining that...It out performs mine is every aspect because its 64 bit, or just because it is a faster cpu?

Saying it outperforms it in every aspect is a bit of an over statement. But in general applications it probablly will, thanks to many improvements. Plus the S939 series is 2 generations newer than your P4 3.0.

The architecture of the AMD 64 series of processors allows it to do more in less clock cycles versus its counterpart the P4.

The performance between the two will probablly be around 10-20% in games though, if you are comparing them both on the same video card. So yes the AMD processor will smoke the P4 in gaming in almost all aspects. As well as most single threaded applications.

For encoding, workstation applications, and multi-tasking the P4 is a better choice.

UltimaParadox said:
Saying it outperforms it in every aspect is a bit of an over statement. But in general applications it probablly will, thanks to many improvements. Plus the S939 series is 2 generations newer than your P4 3.0.

The architecture of the AMD 64 series of processors allows it to do more in less clock cycles versus its counterpart the P4.

The performance between the two will probablly be around 10-20% in games though, if you are comparing them both on the same video card. So yes the AMD processor will smoke the P4 in gaming in almost all aspects. As well as most single threaded applications.

For encoding, workstation applications, and multi-tasking the P4 is a better choice.
You're right I forgot about that, sorry, for encoding the Pentium 4 will definitely win. Sorry about that, but for the majority of applications and gaming, a 3.0GHz P4 can't beat an AMD 3500+. It will also multitask better because of Hyper-Threading, but that's something I completely ignored (By accident). For workstation applications it will run well, but so will an AMD therefore choosing a Pentium for workstation applications (Unless that is the soul purpose of the computer, in which a 3.0GHz HT P4 will be more than sufficient in providing a seamless environment) may not be entirely feasable if you're inquiring on the overall performance of the processor. But nevertheless, Ultima summed the P4's strengths well. And it still plays games well too, it just doesn't perform as well in comparison to equivalent AMD alternatives. And to be honest, that CPU isn't your equivalent anyway. It's ahead by a few models technically, so you shouldn't be worried that the processor will outperform you overall anyway.

I must be tired today, I keep screwing up and ignoring too many things. :mad:

SSE4 said:
I must be tired today, I keep screwing up and ignoring too many things. :mad:

No need to worry about that you offered your advice, and the for the most part it is right on. Plus for most people on these boards encoding, and workstation applications are nowhere near as important as games and single threaded applications.

Thus AMD is king right now

Back