would there be any problems switching from ATi to Nvidia?

ral1239

Weaksauce
I can't really decide on an x800pro or 6800gt but im leaning more on the 6800gt. If i decide to get the 6800gt would i run into any problems(comp now has Ati in it)?

No you should not have any problems. I used ATI catalyst uninstall utility then booted in safe mode and searched the windows folder for anything with ati in it. Deleted all the ati software values in the registry and thats it. 6800ultra runs fine with no problems.

There should be an FAQ on this somehere online. Here are a few steps in a nutshell:

1. First make sure you un-install all display drivers; instead of restarting, just shut it off
2. Replace the video card
3. Boot up the machine and let windows tell you it found new hardware
4. Put in driver CD (or you could have downloaded the drivers online right before step 1)
5. Install drivers and then you should be done

At least that is how I do it. Anybody else have a cleaner way?

D4hPr0 said:
No you should not have any problems. I used ATI catalyst uninstall utility then booted in safe mode and searched the windows folder for anything with ati in it. Deleted all the ati software values in the registry and thats it. 6800ultra runs fine with no problems.

I did the same...so far no problems replacing a 9800 Pro with a 6800 GT.

I went from nVIDIA to ATI, I agree with Stan. Driver Cleaner is your friend. Uninstall the drivers, then restart, then use driver cleaner.

I went from Ati to Nvidia and used driver cleaner, I had a bunch of problems, formatted and the system is absolutely kickass.

You don't have to format.

I've gone from nVidia to ATI back to nVidia with the same OS with no reformats. I've even changed my motherboard without a reformat :eek: .

I have no graphics related problems.

Same here, no re-format is necessary...I went from an ATi 9500 pro to a GF6800. I just used ATi uninstall, powered down, switched cards, powered back up then installed the new drivers...no problems what so ever.

The only problem would be for the folks at ATI. They have a problem with you upgrading to a NVidia card.

DesiVideoGamer said:
...just shut it off.

careful. I think you meant to either shut if off when it is rebooting (after the BIOS splash screen) or to shut it down gracefully and switch parts.

-just in case someone takes it literally.

Back