Would my internet speeds benefit from getting a new modem or router?

apav

Gawd
Hey guys,

First off I have to say that I know very little to nothing about networking. Only the basics really, which is weird considering that I'm very technical with PC hardware.

I wanted to know if there will be a difference in my internet speeds if I upgrade my modem, router, or both. My connection isn't bad, I just am curious if it can do better. Here's what I have.

Modem: Motorola SBV5120
http://www.optimum.com/pdf/right_now/sbv5120.pdf

Router: Linksys WRT54G2
I literally love this router to death. In all the years I have owned it, I've had zero problems. Literally zero. I can't even think of a single time where it dropped internet connection in the house, besides a black out. All the other routers I've been through at my parent's houses have given me such a hard time. But never this one. It's still running like a champ, although since it's so old I'm wondering if I can get more speed with a newer one.

ISP: Optimum Online
http://www.optimum.com/home-internet-service/broadband/faster-internet.jsp
Don't know how much that links helps.

Here's the extent to my knowledge, I don't even know what type of internet connection I have lol. Like cable/broadband/DSL? I never found out, I feel pathetic now haha :eek:

So I'm wondering if it's time to upgrade, or if upgrading will even be useful at all for my type of connection? I do understand that if my ISP connection is bad, even a top of the line router can't change that.

But let me know what you think. And is there another router out there like my current one (in terms of reliability), but faster?

Thanks so much!

you need to figure out what speeds you're paying for...

from the looks of the link, it could be a 15/2 connection...

go to speedtest.net and compare your results....

both that modem and that router should be able to do 15/2 no problems... although that router may have problems with many concurrent wireless clients or lots of open connections (applications like bittorrent)

also, that first link to your modem shows pretty plainly, you have cable.... never noticed the coax going to the back of it? :eek: (also, cable is a type of broadband)

The modem you have is a DOCSIS 2, most cable service now provide DOCSIS 3 modems. My friend pays for a 12mbps down speed service and he was getting around 10 with a docsis 2.0 modem. He upgraded his modem to a sb6121 and got 15 mbps although he pays for a 12mbps service. So it really depends, he was almost getting max speeds with his last modem, but since he had to upgrade to a docsis 3.0 modem he did benefit from it, however it will not be guaranteed by his ISP

The modem you have is a DOCSIS 2, most cable service now provide DOCSIS 3 modems. My friend pays for a 12mbps down speed service and he was getting around 10 with a docsis 2.0 modem. He upgraded his modem to a sb6121 and got 15 mbps although he pays for a 12mbps service. So it really depends, he was almost getting max speeds with his last modem, but since he had to upgrade to a docsis 3.0 modem he did benefit from it, however it will not be guaranteed by his ISP

Switching to a Docsis 3.0 modem could cause the opposite like it did with me. I was using a TWC provided docsis 2.0 modem. They decided to start charging a rental fee so I purchased my own docsis 3.0 modem.

With the old modem I was actually getting a bit faster than what I was paying for. Once I put in my own and they pushed out the profile I went down to just a hair below advertised speed.

So either the old modem was just BS'ing me or maybe TWC out of spite for me not paying their stupid rental bumped me down a notch lol.

The only other thing I've seen with switching out a router affect the internet connection is with torrenting. Some routers can handle more active connections than others before they start crapping out.

Back