Would like to use my Klipsch Ultras for home theater system

Cmdrmonkey

Gawd
Has anyone here set up a home theater system using Klipsch 5.1 Ultras? I have a set for my PC. I just got an HDTV (and an X360) and I figure my cheapest route for setting up a decent sound system for it would be to pair my Klipsch speakers with a decent reciever. Will I have any issues doing this? Will it sound ok when I'm done? I'd like to jack my game consoles and PC into the reciever. Any suggestions for a good, but not outrageously priced reciever that has optical while we're on it? I'm currently looking at Pioneers and Yamahas.

How will I be able to get my pc into the reciever? It's using an Audigy 2 oem. I there some sort of mini plug adapter I would have to buy?

I have never set up a sound system like this in my life (aside from a Bose system for my dad, which is designed for stupid rich people, and was a joke to put together), and have absolutely no clue what I'm doing.

Yes you can plug your sound card into a receiver.

You have two routes
1: optical output (which does the oem card even have this?) plug directly from the computer to the receiver with one cable. Downside: you will only get sound from two channels (i.e. games, cd music) , unless the source is already in 5.1 sound (i.e. movies, dvd-audio, xbox360.. I think)

2: 1/8" to rca adapters: you can buy online adapters that take outputs from your soundcard's 1/8" jacks and make the other end of the jack an RCA jack. You then plug the rca jacks into the back of the receivers "direct channel input" thingie (sorry don't remember the real name) This way you are plugging in each channel directly into the receiver. This way in games you will get 5.1 sound. (be warned there are specific cables you need, that are easy to get, I just don't know where to get links for them right now)

As far as receivers go: I have used Onkyo and Yamaha. Both serve me very well. I know that with Onkyo you usually can find a good deal on their refurbished receivers.

Hopefully someone will confirm all that I have said, so I don't lead you astray....

should be fine..... I don't know how the subwoofer is like... is it like an ordinary subwoofer that hooks up via RCA cable or what... might need some extra cables and such to get it all fitted in....

Another option would be an external decoder designed for a soundcard. Creative's DDTS-100 allows you to connect your soundcard plus other sources to the DDTS-100, and decode all Dolby and DTS formats, plus have options for Neo:6 and such. You can also connect your soundcard via analog for passthru for 5.1 gaming if it doesn't do DD/DTS Live.

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=13&subcategory=58&product=9468

I have one of these in my living room, connected to the Klipsch Ultra sub, and using Quintet II's for my sats. The SVS connection is used to connect a second powered sub.

Remember, if you use a receiver, the Klipsch sats are 4-Ohm speakers, so you will need a receiver designed for that on the fronts and rears, else you will risk damage.

Back