Would like to get a new video card sometime in the future

mrmylanman

[H]ard|Gawd
I really like ATI's 5xxx series, but I heard ATI and folding aren't the best of buddies. I don't remember why but I always remember hearing bad news about it. I would like to buy a coule of the 5770s or perhaps just a 5850 and later on another one too, but I heard that there's a new GPU version coming out at some point that would support ATI better. Is this true?

as of right now ATI cards suck at folding.. but thats probably going to change when the GPU3 client comes out which should be soon..

as of right now ATI cards suck at folding.. but thats probably going to change when the GPU3 client comes out which should be soon..

I would wait if your set on ATI cards. Only the alpha/beta testers know, and they are not talking.

Last edited:
Honestly I would ask yourself why are you getting the video cards. If it's more about gaming on your system and the ATIs are what you want then I would go ahead and get them. Plus as mentioned there's a lot of hope the next GPU client will improve their output, but none the less they do still Fold, just not as many PPD as the Nvidia. Eyefinity was kickass to see and play on at the Dallas event. If I gamed more I would get some. :)

THeres been alot of work on the new client for ATI cards, I would hold off a little more on ATI till the alpha and beta testers are done and release specs.

Honestly I would ask yourself why are you getting the video cards. If it's more about gaming on your system and the ATIs are what you want then I would go ahead and get them. Plus as mentioned there's a lot of hope the next GPU client will improve their output, but none the less they do still Fold, just not as many PPD as the Nvidia. Eyefinity was kickass to see and play on at the Dallas event. If I gamed more I would get some. :)

I think this is some good advice.

If you building a folding box then get NVidia, but if this is your daily driver and you want ATI then do it.
It will still fold.

Yeah, if your main concern is for gaming than ATI has some great cards and options and as nitro said, it will still fold and give you some PPD on them, but if your sole concern is for folding, nvidia is the way to go, but at this moment, dont throw ATI completely out of the loop for folding, as started before, there is alot of work on the next client thats being done that could help ATI be more comparable to nvidia folding wise.

I really hope they fix this next GPU client for ATi GPUs. The 5000 series feature set is very impressive on top of all the performance they give. I plan on getting a 58xx sometime next year when they're a lot more widely available and prices come down after the release of Fermi and they get some competition. At MSRP though, those cards have great value for their performance (in gaming anyways, hopefully in folding too with the next client).

Anyways, I would take the Heretic's advice on this one and get what applies to your daily needs/wants.

If you like ATI buy it. My 5870s will put out 4.3K ppd each, that's really not that bad. Yeah, nvidia cards fold better, but if you are gaming then the king of the hill now is ATI.

Thanks for the input. I think I will end up getting the ATI cards at some point. Probably not right now, I may just wait until Christmas and con someone into giving me one (not like they're easy to find right now anyway lol).

My primary concern would be gaming, although recently like I said I got into folding again. I'm just too close to 1 million points to quit lol.

It was nice when both GTX260s worked. I have had very bad luck with the GTX260 card as far as reliability goes although part of that may be folding. I don't know. They never got too hot, however 2 out of the 3 I have owned now died within a couple months. At this point I'm just giving up on the GT200 core, although the folding numbers sure were nice.

Which brand cards were the short lived 260s ?

When I built my most recent rig I purchased Nvidia based cards because my Primary concern was the Folding numbers, and once in a while it was gaming. Although come February Star Trek Online will hit the street and the gaming will probably go up a bit. :)

Back