Would like some assistance on spec'd "old school" build

why can't you play the old school blizzard games on your current rig?

get too voodoo cards and run them in sli, diablo2 and other games ran better and were more optimized for glider.

i wouldn't run 98 if you're planning on going online. just run xp, and run those games in 95 emulation mode.

zv

i wouldn't run 98 if you're planning on going online.

OS
i would use Windoze Millenium Edition, it should be pretty cheap by now if not even free.

VID CARD
Regarding to hardware i would recommend to you a Geforce1 DDR, great vid card for Q3A, but try to get the drivers that don´t have the S3 Texture Compression, that really messed up the textures un Q3A.

CPU
a Pentium 2 300Mhz with the s-spec SL2W8, you can overclock them to 450Mz easy!! or you could get a celeron 300Mhz but with cache, they are also good for OC

MOBO
back in the old days a good mobo was Abit BX6-2 it had all the bells & whistles at that time

why can't you play the old school blizzard games on your current rig?
I don't understand why he doesn't do this either. Besides, it would run a bit smoother, maybe not much, but smoother none-the-less.
OS
i would use Windoze Millenium Edition, it should be pretty cheap by now if not even free.

VID CARD
Regarding to hardware i would recommend to you a Geforce1 DDR, great vid card for Q3A, but try to get the drivers that don´t have the S3 Texture Compression, that really messed up the textures un Q3A.

CPU
a Pentium 2 300Mhz with the s-spec SL2W8, you can overclock them to 450Mz easy!! or you could get a celeron 300Mhz but with cache, they are also good for OC

MOBO
back in the old days a good mobo was Abit BX6-2 it had all the bells & whistles at that time
ME is the bane of all operating systems. Go with that, you might as well kick and piss on your computer. Seriously, it really sucked and you should be banned for even making such a suggestion :p ;)

OS

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

He says he's building it for nostalgia reasons, so I would assume he wants all his hardware, including his OS to be old skool. I doubt he's going to be surfing the web on that machine, just running some sweet ass games for a low price.

What wrong with Win ME apart from being from Microsoft? is it a security issue? well i wouldnt know about that i just used that OS to play games :confused:

What wrong with Win ME apart from being from Microsoft? is it a security issue? well i wouldnt know about that i just used that OS to play games :confused:

It's a buggy hacked up version of 98. ME had driver issues with older hardware, and was never stable. It's the worst windows version out there, it just a plain piece of crap. It was in PC world's top 5 of worst tech products ever. I remember when it first came out windows magazine said to stay away from it at all costs.

It's a buggy hacked up version of 98. ME had driver issues with older hardware, and was never stable. It's the worst windows version out there, it just a plain piece of crap. It was in PC world's top 5 of worst tech products ever. I remember when it first came out windows magazine said to stay away from it at all costs.

Sigh.. I went out and bought it on release day... :(

Fortunately, I'm not as young and naive anymore. And I also learned a good lesson from it: never buy any OS that early after release. :D

I should have my 'retro' rig running shortly. So far I've gathered these parts>

mobo> MSI BX Master
cpu> slot 1 p3-800
gpu> v5-5500 or Hercules Prophet DDR/DVI or Radeon 64 vivo
sound> Aureal SQ 2500
mem> 384mb pc100
HDD> 30gb Maxtor
OS> Win98se

:)

---98SE gaming rig: P3 1Gig | 768mb SDRam | TNT2 32mb | Voodoo 2 SLI | 40+10GB HDD's | 16x DVD-Rom, 52x CD-R/W---

This is what i run, and it runs everything great that i've put on it. Love playing the old redneck rampage, twisted metal 2, and lots of other glide native games.

The voodoo's will run diablo2 very good because that game is optimized for glider, I remember back when I used to play a lot there was a reg hack or something that forced it into thinking it was running in glide mode (or whatever) and it made gameplay smoother. The game does have some hiccups so don't say o your computer must of been a pos, as blizzard has added patches that game has gotten slower and filled with crud (ie warden)

i remeber having a Riva 128 with 4 mb!!! and a voodoo2 sli setup in the same computer, the Riva 128 was 2d/3d but the voodoo was only 3d, then i switch to a TNT 1 with a whopping 16Mb !!!

Sure you can run the compatibility mode in XP. However, if you run a lot of 3rd party mods like I do, you may discover issues.

Saved one of my older rigs just for running my favorite Win98 games. Believe it or not, my friends ask to play the older games most often when they come over. Hit the KVM switch, the power button on the Win98 box, and we're on. :D

My Win98se rig = Abit KR7-A - AthlonXP @ 2ghz - ATI 9500pro - 512mb DDR-RAM - 40gb 7200rpm HDD

I have a ASUS P2B motherboard, P3/600 CPU, 256MB RAM, SB64AWE, NVidia GeForce3 Ti200, 8MB Voodoo-2 based card, 80GB WD Special Edition Drive (the one that introduced 8MB cache to the retail market) and a 52x CDRW. It quad-boots DOS 6 w/ Win 3.11, Win98, Win2K and WinXP. I have it connected to a four-port KVM. I did have a Matrox card in it initially, but I think it might have been faulty (bought from eBay specifically for this system) and had the GeForce3 card laying around.

It seems to do everything I ask of it, which is mostly quick rounds of DOOM when my primary system is busy.

Wow, this thread sounds like some great fun. I still have some of my older graphic cards. A RIVA TNT2, Geforce 2 and Geforce 4. I missed a lot of good gaming back in that era messing around with an Mac. I'm wondering though if I would be better off creating a powerful new box with a DD Live/DTS connect card and new Nvidia or ATi card and simply installing Win 98 to a new partition. Will older games run on new hardware or are there all kinds of wrappers needed? Or would older hardware perform better?

So I'm wrestling with Older gaming rig + older consoles (all Ataris from 2600-Jaguar, NES, SNES, Genesis and Sega CD, SMS, Turbo GraphX 16, 3DO, Saturn) vs Modern, dedicated gaming rig that boots to 98SE, XP and Vista and emulates all systems using Media Portal or some other front end. Of course everything would run best on its original hardware, but I thought it would cool for one box to do it all and not worry about noise and HDD space with the HTPC.

Back