Would it be worth it to upgrade to a GTX 560 Ti?

zawada101

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, i have been toying with the idea of upgrading my computer for awhile here. Im thinking about just upgrading from 4GB of ram to 8GB, and upgrading my 8800GTS to a GTX 560 Ti. I dont really want to upgrade anything else, just to conserve money and all. I will mostly be playing diablo 3 with it as well.

These are my currect specs.

CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
MOBO - Gigabyte EP43-UD3l
RAM - G.SKILL 2x2GB F2-8500CL5D

I found it well worth it, able to play BF3 much better, but I also went with a Q9550 (used good price). Going to wait for next gen to build a win 8 machine

I will also be getting a new ASUS VW246H 24" Monitor to be going with it. Im just hoping for newer games to run at high settings at 1920x1080

Is the 7850 supposed to be better than the GTX 560 Ti? The reviews seem to be pretty similar.

Is the 7850 supposed to be better than the GTX 560 Ti? The reviews seem to be pretty similar.

Has 2GB of faster vram. Has a more power efficient 28nm GPU. HD7850 has great over clock ability depending upon which brand and model you get.

HD 7850 looks like the best card for the money at around $260.

Has 2GB of faster vram. Has a more power efficient 28nm GPU. HD7850 has great over clock ability depending upon which brand and model you get.

HD 7850 looks like the best card for the money at around $260.

Agree^^ the vram is a bonus, along with a new generation chip its simply better than the 560TI for the budget. If you want 3d vision then the minimum would be the 560 ti from what i've been learning.

If I were you I'd try D3 with the 8800 just to see if it works "good enough" for ya.

If not, I agree with 7850 recommendations unless you can find a really good deal on a 560Ti 448. I believe they were going for $220 or less for a little while.

Also, obligatory "AMD may be price-adjusting" disclaimer here. The GTX670 looks to be putting some pressure on AMD's price structure so I'd look to buy from a place with some kind of 7-day price protection if I bought a 7850 today.

Agree with Sn0_Man on the 560 Ti 448 and to be careful with AMD prices right now.

If I were you I'd try D3 with the 8800 just to see if it works "good enough" for ya.

If not, I agree with 7850 recommendations unless you can find a really good deal on a 560Ti 448. I believe they were going for $220 or less for a little while.

Also, obligatory "AMD may be price-adjusting" disclaimer here. The GTX670 looks to be putting some pressure on AMD's price structure so I'd look to buy from a place with some kind of 7-day price protection if I bought a 7850 today.

+1

I actually played BF3 with my 9800GT before I did the upgrade just to be sure. D3 may not require it depending on your graphics preferences.

Your system pretty much mirrors mine. I upgraded from a 9600GT (similar in capability to yours) to a 560 (vanilla).

I would suggest avoiding the 560 Ti at this point. It's no longer cost effective. Either get the vanilla 560 for about $160 new at Newegg, or spend $240-ish on the 7850. The 560 Ti costs at least 25% more than the vanilla 560, but outputs on average under 10% more performance. Given how CPU limited we currently are, we'd never see this full 10% difference.

Edit: As for the 570, I can't recommend that. It's got performance marginally better than the 7850, uses a ton more power, and costs about $60 more. Anyway, just my perspective on things.

Yeah, I'm just partial to nvidia cards I'm not a huge pc gamer any more, so I think I may just grab the 570 and forget about it. I can't find any 7850s in stock where I live and they have an over abundance of 570s and I want it for diablo 3 tomorrow :). Thanks a lot

Yeah, I'm just partial to nvidia cards I'm not a huge pc gamer any more, so I think I may just grab the 570 and forget about it. I can't find any 7850s in stock where I live and they have an over abundance of 570s and I want it for diablo 3 tomorrow :). Thanks a lot

You're still going to have some stuttering and framerate dips in D3. Like I said, out CPU is the limiting factor. I played D3 on my rig with a 9600GT, 6850, and 560 (vanilla), and performance was about the same. Aside from maxing out the AA, you're not going to see a giant boost in performance in D3 even with the 570 (unless your 8800GTS was the 320MB version, in which case, you can enable the highest texture setting now).

I know you want it "now" for D3, but in this case, I'd have to advise one of two upgrade paths. First, either get the 560 or 6870, which are both cost effective GPUs that more than exceed your CPU. Put aside the extra cash for an eventual CPU/MOBO/RAM upgrade (I'm waiting for Haswell next summer, tempting as IB is). My second suggestion would be to go an extra $100 over the 570 and get the 670. This way, you have an outstanding GPU, and then if/when you upgrade your CPU/MOBO/RAM within the next 12 months, you'll be all set. Going with a 570, IMO, doesn't help you TOO much over a 560 with your current setup, but then becomes more limited than other options down the road when you do upgrade your CPU.

Back