Would i gain performance by doubling my ram with Win 10

primetime

Supreme [H]ardness
Capture.JPG

Or is that Committed part not so much a big deal? Was there any performance differance after going to 32GB with Win10

It really depends on what you're doing. However, I will say that one surprising situation where you can find yourself needing more than 16GB of RAM if you're not careful is web browsing... if you're like me and you let the tabs full of JavaScript-heavy sites pile up without remembering to close them, you can easily find yourself using 20GB for web browsing. And it's getting easier and easier to hit that as websites increasingly become like more applications and less like documents. I have sometimes found I use less RAM gaming than I do surfing the web. It sounds crazy, but yeah. People used to think of an "Internet PC" as lighter than a gaming PC. I'm not so sure that fits anymore.

You can probably still get by with 16GB of RAM, but you need to not let the tabs pile up and be really good about closing applications you're not using. It's starting to feel like 8GB did about 5 years ago, in other words...

It really depends on what you're doing. However, I will say that one surprising situation where you can find yourself needing more than 16GB of RAM if you're not careful is web browsing... if you're like me and you let the tabs full of JavaScript-heavy sites pile up without remembering to close them, you can easily find yourself using 20GB for web browsing. And it's getting easier and easier to hit that as websites increasingly become like more applications and less like documents. I have sometimes found I use less RAM gaming than I do surfing the web. It sounds crazy, but yeah. People used to think of an "Internet PC" as lighter than a gaming PC. I'm not so sure that fits anymore.

You can probably still get by with 16GB of RAM, but you need to not let the tabs pile up and be really good about closing applications you're not using. It's starting to feel like 8GB did about 5 years ago, in other words...
I no reason not to min my game while i surf and or possiby watch a movie lol

I think it really depends on your needs and what you do with the computer most of the time. I agree some browsers can hog memory, and chrome still sometimes seems like it uses more than it should. reminds me of the memory leak days. Anyway unless the ram was pretty cheap, you probably wouldnt need to double it.

You can also check the graph and see over time how much ram you are using while doing common tasks. Windows also will allot RAM to things and try to use up what you have available. It will load things into ram you may not be using, just to make them easier to access later. And this makes sense, because otherwise the ram is just sitting unused. So basically what you see "used" may not always be what is really being currently used by active apps.

Last edited:

Extensions such as "Auto Tab Discard" (weird name, it doesn't actually throw out tabs) for Chrome and Firefox are great for reducing RAM/CPU usage when you have a bunch of tabs open.

I just doubled RAM from 16 to 32GB. Doesn't seem to make Windows any faster but Unreal Engine runs better.

The real question is why does your system use up 9gb of ram idle? I would have looked at background processes and stopped them from opening at startup before I looked at moving to 32gb of ram. The only benefit you would see is if your applications are needing more than the 16 you have, but with some memory management I think 16 is more than fine in general.

The real question is why does your system use up 9gb of ram idle? I would have looked at background processes and stopped them from opening at startup before I looked at moving to 32gb of ram. The only benefit you would see is if your applications are needing more than the 16 you have, but with some memory management I think 16 is more than fine in general.
I had a game minimized....while i took a browser break...

I had a game minimized....while i took a browser break...
lol thats not "idle". youre fine. like the others said, unless you have an app that needs it, theres not much point jumping to 32.
edit: know what you need to do though?! update your windows. why are you still on 1809?!

Last edited:
lol thats not "idle". youre fine. like the others said, unless you have an app that needs it, theres not much point jumping to 32.
which was the point of this thread. I have zero interest of doing one thing at a time with a custom desktop.
In truth the real question was about the 32GB of committed Ram? Obviously its not coming out of my system ram (at this point) since i only have Half of that...It made me wonder would it be any different with 32GB of actual Ram? (or more) ..vs being paged as it must be doing

the committed part is basically just the total of ram + pagefile. if you have 16r+16p = 32c. mine is ~20, 16+4=20. not sure why i had it capped at 4 though...

1622764322784.png

16GB is pretty much the sweet spot for typical usage; gaming, web browsing, etc. The thing about RAM is you typically don't need more than 16GB, but when you do, you generally need a LOT more than 16GB and even more than 32GB; high end workstation kind of stuff. Like others have said, it depends on what you are using the machine for.
For games, most system developers have to generally aim for the lowest common denominator or their game will run like crap on low end machines. That typically lends to them looking to statistics like Steam to get an idea of what to shoot for when designing their games.
As of May, 26% of Steam users have 8GB, 45% have 16GB. Only 12.5% have more than 16GB.
I used to put 32GB in machines I built, but have since switched to 16GB because I never see it go over 10GB to 12GB of usage, typically it sits about 8GB to 9GB of usage.

I only really play one game .. and that's Hunt:Showdown ... I went from 16GB to 32GB (2 x 16gb sticks) in my setup and Hunt "felt" noticeably smoother .. just a fringe case I suppose. I run 32gb in all 3 of the PC's in our household and 64gb in my server (server is going to get downgraded to 32gb I believe here shortly though)

Back